Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
AN INTRODUCTION TO EUROP...A UNIVERSALIS!

Hi everyone, and welcome to Europa Universalis 4, an arcane Paint-the-World simulator produced by Paradox Interactive. EU4, as it is commonly known, is the fourth (duh) game in a series dedicated to simulating the era between November 11, 1444 and January 1, 1821. Because it is designed as a simulator and not a Civilization-esque game with true win conditions, EU4 confers advantages or disadvantages to many countries in an attempt to drive the world towards the historical outcome we are familiar with today - the western powers’ and Russia’s domination of the planet. I am going to write a guide for this game.

WHY AM I DOING THIS?

It may come as a surprise, but the game that contains this menu is complex! I do not profess to be an expert at this game, but my goal with this LP is to document as many of the mechanics as I am capable of. There are many video tutorials of this game, but the EU4 thread on Something Awful mentioned a text version would be useful so people can read it on public transit.

So I'm doing this for one nerd, on a bus.

This will likely involve a long playthrough discussing many of the core systems of the game and number of shorter playthroughs to cover more advanced concepts like colonization or westernization (which I haven’t done yet because my one Songhai game ended in spectacular failure!)

I have a good understanding of basic concepts in this game but don’t know everything. Hopefully I can teach some people to play this cool game and teach myself some stuff as well!

Updates Currently Planned

Part 1.

User Interface
Provinces
Introduction to Diplomacy

Part 2.

Rivalry
Casus Belli and Spy Networks
Prestige, Power Projection, and Legitimacy (or Republican Tradition if Venice wins)

Part 3.

Merchants and trade steering
The trade map

Part 4.

Tactics, Morale and Discipline
Army Composition
Military Units and Pips

Part 5.

Terrain
Combat Width and Deployment
Phases of Combat
Generals

PREPARATION

If you start the game from the standard date (November 11 1444), this is a somewhat zoomed in version of the world you play in (IE, a zoomed in version of Europe! If this surprises you, plz consult the title). We aren’t going to play as France unless the thread decides that’s what they want, but I’d like to use this country to display some of the basic attributes you’ll find when looking at a country for the first time. So we need to go over that mess of numbers located in the country information tile on the extreme right of the screen. I’ll cover what you see from top to bottom to hopefully avoid any confusion. Click on the full image, and get used to small text! It only gets worse!

Click here for the full 1920x1200 image

That Fancy Crown

This icon denotes your country’s government rank when they start the game. There are three different ranks:

Duchy - this is the minimum government rank. It requires zero development (the number that reads 358 in the middle bottom of the screen above. Don’t worry, we will cover development soon). Certain countries will also be forced to remain duchies if certain conditions are in place, like if your country is a subservient member of the Holy Roman Empire.

Kingdom - Forming a kingdom requires 300 development unless your country already starts as a kingdom. You can also form a kingdom through the use of various national decisions available to some nations in game.

Empire - Forming an empire requires 1000 development or the use of some extremely awesome national decisions. Getting to empire rank lets you have one additional leader (a general, admiral, or other leader-ly). Leaders are a big deal and impact combat in a major way - they also play a large role in colonization.

Monarch Points - See those numbers directly under the name of King Charles de Valois? Those are his ‘skills’ distill down into three simple categories - Administration, Diplomacy, and Military. For every month that passes in game, your country gets your ruler’s number of monarch points. These are used for advancing in technology, advancing in your national and chosen idea groups, and developing provinces. Some monarch point categories can be used for other, more specific functions as well. We will cover those as they come up.

That Fancy Hat

This icon denotes the technology group your country belongs to. France has the feathered cap because they belong in the western technology group. Western technology group countries pay the base cost for all technology, with other technology groups paying an elevated percentage of the western groups cost. For instance, if a technology would cost France 100 monarch points, it would cost Tunis (a Muslim technology group country) 140 monarch points. This system basically ensures western countries will pull ahead as time passes.

Technologies will be covered in more depth later, but for now, here is a quick overview.

Administrative technology - increased by administrative monarch points. Tied to things such as number of fully integrated states your country can have, production efficiency, and idea groups.

Diplomatic technology - increased by diplomatic monarch points. Build better ships, get slightly better trade bonuses, and let this lag behind because you pumped all your diplomacy points into gold mines.

Military technology - increased by military monarch points. Fight good! Seriously, do NOT fall behind in military technology if you can help it. Certain technology levels that grant new units can make a country punch way above the mere number of troops they bring to battle.

A note: the technology system is going through a major revision soon with regard to westernization, in which case I will redo this section with more up to date information. Or not, who knows!

National Ideas - so every country takes idea groups that are shared among all countries. Military idea groups like quantity are the same for Austria or France (we will talk about this more later, I swear!). National ideas, as the name might suggest, are exclusive to your nation or group of nations in some cases. Some of these can be incredibly powerful. I won’t go over France’s ideas in depth, but the short version is that France becomes a god damned monster if you let them get big enough.

Provinces, Development, and Fort Level - These are the bottom three numbers on the country information screen. The number of provinces tells you how many places you can build buildings, produce units, and improve via development. Development, at its most basic, is ‘how good’ your provinces are. High development provinces provide more tax, production, and military manpower for use in painting the map the color of your choosing.

Diplomacy - This area covers any diplomatic relationships your country starts with. In this case, France starts guaranteeing Scotland’s independence. That means that France will defend Scotland from attack (bet you can’t guess who from!)

A Lot More to Go Over

Alright, there are too many systems and too much going on to introduce in an opening post. So I’d like to start playing the game and show off systems as they become important. To do that, we need to choose a country!

Rules:

I’d like to present a country that gives a good overview for new players, so I’d like to allow the players involved to vote for the following nations:

Ottomans
Castile
Portugal
France (ugh gently caress)
England
Sweden
Venice (ugh gently caress)
Poland (ugh gently caress)

I’ve deliberately chosen countries that new players might choose in a new play-through, mostly excluding countries with any kind of westernization mechanic. I left the Ottomans in because they are huge and a new player can easily be lured into playing them.

So…

Vote! (or I’ll do this with no input at all, AND BACK TO RUSSIA I GOOOOO)

A Note

This could end up with me driving the most powerful nation in the world into the ground, be prepared!

Me Looking for LP Advice

Gigglegoose: Great start.
Dreissi: other stuff to cover?
Gigglegoose: Fits well in the tone of SA
Gigglegoose: well
Gigglegoose: right now I am real drunk
Dreissi: good answer
Gigglegoose: but tomorrow I promise to put some thought into it
Dreissi: this is going in the LP sry
Gigglegoose: ha ha ha alright
Gigglegoose: turns out I am too drunk to lead rance
Gigglegoose: France
Gigglegoose: so I am going back to Lucio Ball

Another Note

If you want to gently caress me and give me a different starting nation, be my guest!

Updates Currently Planned

Dreissi fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Sweden sounds good.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

College Slice

Cythereal posted:

Sweden sounds good.

I've done a Sweden game before, and it does give a good introduction to independence wars and the concept of personal unions. I'll leave the voting open for countries until Thursday, August 11 - I'll count votes on Friday and hopefully get an update out before some work travel I have scheduled that coming week. The current plan is for the first update to cover provinces and their attributes, some introductory political interactions (alliances, royal marriages, etc), and discussion of whatever advisers we have available to us.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Let's go save Sweden from it's shameful Danish subservience!

Millsy
Dec 28, 2004
All's fair in love and bouncy bouncy.
Pillbug
Brandenburg uber alles! Get some exciting Prussianisation going on and turn the world grey.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Yessss I need this.

Also Sweden.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 8, 2016

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Brandenburg will probably be a better tutorial since it'll show you how to survive as middling power. Well, until they get their insane ideas but that's some time away.

e - wait, that's not on the list, go sweden

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ottomans, if only because everyone and their second uncle twice removed plays a European power.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Bah, North Europe and the Middle East have been done to death and then some on the forums: Castile is actually something new, and Spanish history itself is pretty interesting stuff.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

England. While it's hard to lose completely, it's deceptively tricky/expensive to maintain a powerful presence in continental Europe while also being an imperialist jerk around the world.

Also, please don't use timg. Reading a Paradox LP is really a pain if you have to click on every screenshot.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Poland, just because

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

College Slice

Jazerus posted:

Also, please don't use timg. Reading a Paradox LP is really a pain if you have to click on every screenshot.

Can do! First LP, forgive my sins etc.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Hey, I'm the nerd on the bus! I think. Thanks for doing this, you are an awesome gentlegoon.

e: also, given I can't read well, Sweden sounds great.

Unimpressed fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 8, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm looking forward to this being more or less obsolete in a month.

In any case, the Ottomans are generally agreed upon to be the best starter nation. Please do that. To be honest, if you really want this to be a guide, I'm not sure why that's even up for a vote.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm looking forward to this being more or less obsolete in a month.

In any case, the Ottomans are generally agreed upon to be the best starter nation. Please do that. To be honest, if you really want this to be a guide, I'm not sure why that's even up for a vote.

Any of the listed nations other than Venice and Poland are perfectly appropriate for a guide :shrug:

The Ottomans are not any better or worse for a new player than the others.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Sweden. Also not everyone plays Europe, Commissar. I gently caress around in Central Asia more than anything.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

The Ottomans are the best starter nation but if this is a guide then it should also cover how to defeat countries/alliances that are stronger than you. That's pretty rare for the Ottomans and they can just go elsewhere and pick on weaker people no matter what.

And yeah, I like India and West Africa more than Europe. I've never spent 100 years in a campaign as a European nation unless you count the Ottomans as one.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
From that list I'd prefer Sweden.

Are you going to play with all DLC's?

reL
May 20, 2007
Voting Sweden, trying to remember how to play this game.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
Venice. Get your trade on. :getin:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Lori posted:

Venice. Get your trade on. :getin:

This.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Play venice you gently caress

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Please be Ottomans.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Venice, you coward

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mongolia is the best choice you fools! Ride across the open steppe with the wind in your hair while driving your enemies before you. But I suppose Sweden could do if you have to be boring about it.

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 8, 2016

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
I'd enjoy watching Sweden because I haven't played them myself yet.

My only request would be that Sweden finds time for New World colonization, because that's an important mechanic to show off!

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

College Slice

Poil posted:

Mongolia is the best choice you fools! Ride across the open steppe with the wind in your hair while driving your enemies before you. But I suppose Sweden could do if you have to be boring about it.

This sounds fun, except for one minor thing: westernization is going to go through a big revision sometime this fall, and I'd like to hold off on a non-western example until the institutions mechanic is in place.

Horde Unity is a great mechanic though.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

TBH if we're doing a guide I'd say venice. It's a lovely nation with far too many enemies but also far too many expansion possibilities. Go nuts I'd say.

regardless of what nation we pick I do hope we implement a rule not to ally the big blue blob though. That'd almost be cheating!

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Be Sweden

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

College Slice

double nine posted:

regardless of what nation we pick I do hope we implement a rule not to ally the big blue blob though. That'd almost be cheating!

That is a very interesting idea - and one I'll admit to abusing the big blue blob at certain points.

If your suggestion of Venice comes through and Austria has rivaled us, a misstep or two could get us in a lot of trouble.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Venice seems like an interesting choice, let's go with that.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Portugal Because it's a smaller, runtier Castile.

Also, will you be showing off the comedy that is a randomly generated New World?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The Papal State

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Ottomans,let's get some not-Europe in here.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Fat Samurai posted:

Ottomans,let's get some not-Europe in here.

Ottomans are easy and super OP until late game at which point you are so massive it doesn't matter.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Castile

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Sweden seems good.

Questions:
-why is Venice classified as "gently caress"?
-is it possible to unify Italy a couple centuries and a game in advance?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Omobono posted:

Sweden seems good.

Questions:

I can't speak for Dreissi, but in my experience Venice games tend to either go really, really well or really, really badly, mostly depending on factors outside your own control. And yes, it's possible to unify Italy.

EDIT: And if you want your Venice game to go really, really well you kinda have to play a very gimmicky game.

And I'm voting for Sweden, because Sweden is pretty fun once you get going.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 10, 2016

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

College Slice

Omobono posted:

Sweden seems good.

Questions:

Well, the way I tried my (admittedly brief) game as Venice had me allying France and just chilling out with big allies. That's why it has a 'gently caress' classification- boredom. This is also why I think the suggestion of Venice without a big blue ally is interesting.

Also, to update the thread: I'm creating a list of topics I'll cover in this guide that I'll add to the op. This should be in late tonight as voting closes.

One more thing: The Venice people in this thread almost have me convinced to say "I'm here to defend republicanism, not practice it" and go with Venice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Venice , because I've never understood trade.

• Locked thread