Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Let's see how Trump's win probability is shaping up today...

Oh.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Geostomp posted:

If you want to get anything done these days, you absolutely have to remove the Republican's ability to temper tantrum about it to show off. Otherwise we get a repeat of Ted Cruz misunderstanding Dr. Seuss whenever we want to pass a traffic law.

Yeah, I don't like it because even if we win the Senate in 16, we'll lose it again in 18.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

how is this news
theyve been sayin theyd do this all year if they win the senate back

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

zoux posted:

Yeah, I don't like it because even if we win the Senate in 16, we'll lose it again in 18.

But we'll have veto power, so :shrug:.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

zoux posted:

Oh no one is ignoring poo poo, the vast majority of news today is about Trump, Mexico and immigration.

I'm glad to be wrong then.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Alkydere posted:

Basically the prices were always really expensive, but they were hidden behind insurance for the most part. Pharmaceuticals price-gouged because they could, hospitals and doctors price-gouged to get the insurance companies to pay up. Which meant that insurance companies price-gouged and offered incredibly lovely coverage to a certain section of customers to pay for the gouging while also doing their level best to outright deny service to anyone who looked like they'd be too expensive to cover.

Obamacare tried to fix this by making it illegal for insurance companies to deny customers, and in return people are legally required to have insurance or pay a fine to better subsidize and spread out the costs to the insurers. Well that kinda worked for a while until the insurance companies realized they were merely making a lot of money ($$) instead of a fuckton of money ($$$$) and they started to bitch, whine and pull back where they gave coverage, especially when the government wouldn't bend over backwards to give them blowjobs. And besides, even if the insurance companies weren't being little shits, that would only fix one third of the equation because you still have expensive drugs and expensive service. These things were known but not so blatant before the shakeup because the insurance companies did their best to hide the costs, at least hide them to the rich, white people that mattered. Now with so much chaos in the system the prices are peeking through and even white people are being slapped with the nasty prices.

In short, while the real problem is and has always been that the American healthcare system is a pile of blood-sucking leaches you can totally blame Obamacare if you're an amoral shithead. In trying to fix the problem they created instability that made it impossible for the real problems to be hidden anymore. The prices were always expensive, and Obama tried to fix it. In doing so he knocked over the facade and now the price-gouging machine is visible to all and shrieking loudly enough no one without wads of lobbyist cash stuffed in their ears can ignore it.

Stealing this.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Nate screwed up on Trump in the primaries and is over-compensating.

"What if we extrapolate a small change INTO INFINITY?!?! WHAT THEN I ASK YOU?!?! :aaaaa:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

zoux posted:

Nate needs clicks!

I think Nate's model also goes really heavily into 'trend lines' for their Polls Plus thing, so he's screaming about the PTA disbanding and flinging himself out a window if there's an appearance of large movement in any one direction.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

zoux posted:

If the Republicans didn't get rid of it in '18 anyway I'd be somewhat surprised.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
SpaceX destroyed a $200M satellite

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gyges posted:

If the Republicans didn't get rid of it in '18 anyway I'd be somewhat surprised.

It's a bad idea but I guess I still believe in a government that can compromise.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

sean10mm posted:

Nate screwed up on Trump in the primaries and is over-compensating.

"What if we extrapolate a small change INTO INFINITY?!?! WHAT THEN I ASK YOU?!?! :aaaaa:

you still don't understand how polls work, don't make the thread explain this to you again

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

CommieGIR posted:

Its worse than that, in an effort to maximize profits, you now have insurance groups establishing Health Clinics to cut out the middle man.

This has been a thing for a long time, see: Kaiser Permanente. It can actually be good because it removes some of the incentives for doctors to over-order.

Radish posted:

I don't think the New York Times could be telegraphing their debate coverage stronger. Apparently they believe the standard for a presidential candidate is less than a retail employee if not using an ethnic slur and being able to read off a card is good enough. What an embarrassment.

Like this is not fit for a middle school election New York Times.

Media coverage of the race has been terrible lately. They're totally desperate for there to be a horse-race and they're actively trying to foment poo poo. Like how the AP did blatantly false reporting on the Clinton Foundation this past week. I was listening to Here and Now on NPR and they had a segment where the host was tossing a Republican strategist softballs about the "legitimate questions" on the Clinton Foundation, and asking whether they should shut it down after the election or just shut it down right now. And they're still trying desperately to keep the email server story alive, asking why news about this story "just won't end" as they endlessly beat the dead horse on their nationally-syndicated radio program.

Fortunately it doesn't seem to be having tremendous effect, the first caller on an episode of the Diane Rehm show put it best - "this story is ancient and there's nothing there, you guys are just trying to make mountains out of a molehill".

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

exploding mummy posted:

were they launching it or did they hit somebody elses toy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Fortunately it doesn't seem to be having tremendous effect, the first caller on an episode of the Diane Rehm show put it best - "this story is ancient and there's nothing there, you guys are just trying to make mountains out of a molehill".

Bad news: I was the caller.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exploding mummy posted:

A $200M Israeli satellite.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

were they launching it or did they hit somebody elses toy

The rocket failed a prelaunch test, badly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Paul MaudDib posted:

This has been a thing for a long time, see: Kaiser Permanente. It can actually be good because it removes some of the incentives for doctors to over-order.

No. Its not a good thing. At all. Its bad enough half these companies are irked they actually have to provide coverage for care, I don't want them running offices.

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!
I kinda liked Nate's line that, in 2012 people had trouble believing Romney only had a 25% chance to win, where as in 2016 people are having trouble believing Trump's chances are as high as 25%.

It worries me that Hillary never seems to be above 50% in national or swing state polls, and no one can really go after the third parties without giving them a ton of spot light and likely attracting more voters. I'm not arzying, I think Clinton will pull this out in a 2008 style landslide, but man this election cycle has not been good for the heart.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also isn't Nate's stuff thrown off a lot by the utter madness of King Reuters?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Night10194 posted:

Also isn't Nate's stuff thrown off a lot by the utter madness of King Reuters?

As I recall, he weights those pretty low.

What's the problem, you don't believe Clinton is up three in Nebraska?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nor down 14 in NH.

It's me, I'm the unskewer.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Media coverage of the race has been terrible lately. They're totally desperate for there to be a horse-race and they're actively trying to foment poo poo. Like how the AP did blatantly false reporting on the Clinton Foundation this past week. I was listening to Here and Now on NPR and they had a segment where the host was tossing a Republican strategist softballs about the "legitimate questions" on the Clinton Foundation, and asking whether they should shut it down after the election or just shut it down right now. And they're still trying desperately to keep the email server story alive, asking why news about this story "just won't end" as they endlessly beat the dead horse on their nationally-syndicated radio program.

I'd like to think the media is really damaging their credibility with all this. Republicans already believe that the media is leftwing and untrustworthy; I can't think that this blatant double standard that some journalists are showing where Trump is being treated like a child and gets a gold star for eating his food without choking is helping them with democrats that are in serious Clinton "scandal" fatigue.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Captain Stalin posted:

I kinda liked Nate's line that, in 2012 people had trouble believing Romney only had a 25% chance to win, where as in 2016 people are having trouble believing Trump's chances are as high as 25%.

It worries me that Hillary never seems to be above 50% in national or swing state polls, and no one can really go after the third parties without giving them a ton of spot light and likely attracting more voters. I'm not arzying, I think Clinton will pull this out in a 2008 style landslide, but man this election cycle has not been good for the heart.

It doesn't matter how much Trump runs up the score in Texas or other safe states. Frankly he's not even doing that, he's putting what are normally safe Republican states into play, but that's where the popular vote is coming from.

In terms of battleground states, Trump's only legitimate path to victory is to either absolutely run the table on all the battleground states, or to put some safe Democratic states into play, neither of which is going to happen.

Trump's only realistic path to victory is for Putin to hack some voting machines for him, for certain definitions of "realistic".

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Those dastardly Clintons spending money on helping kids with AIDS. When will the corruption end?!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

zoux posted:

Also true. The Republican temper tantrum is having their desired effect of ensuring that they can continue to screw everything up later on since we cannot ever expect them to be reasonable unless they somehow man up and grow some principles.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Radish posted:

I'd like to think the media is really damaging their credibility with all this. Republicans already believe that the media is leftwing and untrustworthy; I can't think that this blatant double standard that some journalists are showing where Trump is being treated like a child and gets a gold star for eating his food without choking is helping them with democrats that are in serious Clinton "scandal" fatigue.

Again a big part of this is because Clinton is not giving them any ammo to shore up the horse race narrative. Like a ton of people ate total poo poo last night when they were crowing about how Trump was "VERY PRESIDENTIAL" then he immediately went full Hitler.

Hillary Clinton is the Luigi of democracy's Mario Party.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
nvm

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
It would be really cool if every time Nate Silver says something we don't like we don't start going "UNSKEWED POLLS" and poo poo.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Geostomp posted:

Also true. The Republican temper tantrum is having their desired effect of ensuring that they can continue to screw everything up later on since we cannot ever expect them to be reasonable unless they somehow man up and grow some principles.

Honest question, why does losing the Senate matter if Hillary can veto anything lovely that they pass?

The lack of a filibuster wouldn't change anything in that regard.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Radish posted:

It is among the younger viewers who are abandoning traditional sources in droves, but old viewers are usually too stubborn to change and remain, which encourages them to keep on pandering to said viewers and trying to appear "fair" by justifying every reprehensible thing the Republicans have been doing for decades even though the demographic is dying off.

WampaLord posted:

Honest question, why does losing the Senate matter if Hillary can veto anything lovely that they pass?

It does when we have to get anything not-terrible done. They'll block her even more than they did Obama since they saw how well that worked.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

WampaLord posted:

Much easier to get legislation we want passed

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

WampaLord posted:

Appointments, and the ability to put pressure on the House to avoid total governmental paralysis.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yinlock posted:

Again a big part of this is because Clinton is not giving them any ammo to shore up the horse race narrative. Like a ton of people ate total poo poo last night when they were crowing about how Trump was "VERY PRESIDENTIAL" then he immediately went full Hitler.

Hillary Clinton is the Luigi of democracy's Mario Party.

Yeah it's really clear Hillary knows the score and that there's little point to holding a press conference so she can be asked dumbass questions about emails and Benghazi and then afterwards they will still complain she isn't holding enough conferences. I don't think being standoffish with the press is great but it's not like she really gains anything from working with them either.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

No, I know the GOOD parts of killing the filibuster, I mean why are people freaking out over it being gone if we lost the Senate in 2018?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WampaLord posted:

No, I know the GOOD parts of killing the filibuster, I mean why are people freaking out over it being gone if we lost the Senate in 2018?

Because what if we lose the presidency in 2020.

https://twitter.com/AU4Change/status/771363035973844992

Christie vetoed a $15 min wage increase on Tuesday.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Supreme Court and other judicial nominations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm guessing if the Republicans control the presidency and the senate the filibuster will be destroyed immediately anyway.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

To who/what? I'm looking all around this Republican Party, and Larry Bird ain't walking through that door, Kevin McHale ain't walking through that door…

Edit: hell yeah, triple Yodatar combo

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

zoux posted:

To quote myself from the politoon thread:

WampaLord posted:

Name a candidate that could:

A) Beat her

and the more important part:

B) Win the Republican primary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

zoux posted:

The fact that the Senate is on 6-year terms is one of my least favorite features of the American political system (which is saying something). In a system where one party dominates on-year elections and one dominates off-year elections, you get an endless amount of churn that amounts to throwing out politicians because they were elected in 2012 instead of 2014.

I would love to see Senate terms reduced to 4 years, with every state having a senator elected every 2 years. It's obviously not going to happen, but...

The uncritical media coverage of "the results of this election where no Republican seats were ever in play proves that the country has repudiated this President's agenda" every off year cycle doesn't help either, of course.

It's still a chance to pack the SCOTUS with at least 2 liberal justices though, so I'll take a 2-year majority. Maybe in 2020 we will have some serious judicial review on redistricting.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 1, 2016

• Locked thread