Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

What a crazy month August was. With Congress off on vacation and Donald Trump collapsed at the beginning of the month, there was plenty of anti-Arzying to go around. At least until his "convincing" Immigration speech at the end. But now things are getting real, with the return of Congress and the elections coming soon, there's plenty of news still to come. Just remember:

• There are 67 days to election day.
  • There are 26 days before Donald J. Trump "wins" the first debate.
  • There are 17 (work) days remaining for Congress to pass appropriations bills or a continuing resolution before the government shuts down.
  • There's probably 1 day before the New York Times or the AP puts out another lovely headline giving Trump the benefit of the doubt.
  • There are 0 days before someone derails this thread talking about some inane policy position like how they're actually a single-issue voter about weed and how that means they're actually voting for Gary Johnson.

So sit back, relax, and drink responsibly. This is USPOL September.

114th Congress Bingo Card

Congress was off all last month, so nothing to see here.

Other News

Talk to other goons (why would you want to do that?)
Remember that we have an IRC channel at synirc in #poligoon for livesteaming stuff.

Goon Recommendations
Documentaries

Talks

Long pieces

Books

Twitter feeds

• @costareports (Robert Costa, Washington Post, formerly National Review): Conservative-leaning journalist to whom Republican sources often leak backroom stories (Republican retreats, Presidential campaigns, etc.)
  • @daveweigel (Dave Weigel, Bloomberg Politics, formerly Slate): "Idiosyncratic libertarian" journalist who is second only to Robert Costa in connections/interviews with Republican officials. Contrary to popular belief, not D&D superstar Joementum.
  • @BruceBartlett (Bruce Bartlett, ex-Reagan/Bush official): "Lifelong conservative who now thinks the GOP panders to fools, whom he calls wankers. My tweets should not always be taken seriously."
  • The following are semi-random selections from a list offered by Rygar201 and may be good or bad.
    • @owillis (Olivier Willis, research fellow, Media Matters)
    • @mattyglesias (Matt Yglesias, executive editor, Vox)
    • @JuddLegum (Judd Legum, Editor-in-Chief, Think Progress)
    • @dick_nixon "37th President of the United States. Messages from the President are unsigned, others from Ronald Ziegler. "
    • @EricBoehlert (Eric Boehlert, Media Matters)
    • @JamilSmith (Jamil Smith, senior editor, The New Republic)
    • @jonathanchait (Jonathan Chait, New York Magazine)
    • @nielslesniewski (Neils Lesniewski, Senate coverage, Roll Call)
    • @abwhite7 (Abraham White, former comms for Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chuck Schumer (D-NY))
    • @DSenFloor (Senate D Floor Watch): "Live floor updates from the Senate Democrats"
    • @billmon1 (Billmon)
    • @ebruenig (Elizabeth Bruenig, The New Republic)

Related threads
"US Politics" is an incredibly broad topic, as A) the country is freaking huge and B) given our role in international events pretty much everything impacts us. So there are other subthreads
2016 Presidential Primary
2016 US Senate Elections
SCOTUS thread
Right Wing Media

There are also regional subthreads that are usually pretty slow, but sometimes cross-pollinate with this thread when something important is happening.
Pacific Northwest
Illinois
Texas
California
Kansas

Lifted the rest of the above from FriedChicken. As before post suggestions for adding to the above and I'll edit them in if I see them.

And remember folks, drink chat goes in D&D chat thread. Drink responsibly. Your liver will thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

ntan1 posted:

Let's see how Trump does in one month.

I was going to name this thread USPOL September: The Rehabilitation of Donald J. Trump but changed my mind.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I just got called on my cell phone for a poll about regulating short-term housing rental in LA. They asked a few different wordings of a question about whether I supported making short-term rentals pay hotel tax and limiting the number of days a place can be rented out, then they read me quotes from pairs of totally-real people with opposing opinions on regulation and asked me who I agreed with more. Hamilton, Garcia, and Smith were libertarian shitlords, while Anderson, Sanchez, and Chen agreed with me that Airbnb can suck it. The only demographic question they asked me was my race.

I don't know if that's interesting to anybody, but we talk about polls a lot and since I've never resided in a swing state this was my first time getting a call like this, so I thought others might be curious. I hope my adamant yet concisely-worded responses will help unfuck the rental market here in LA.

Last month I had some pollster call me three times about different local ballot initiatives (city [should we be required to have a public vote any time the city literally does anything with selling/leasing public lands] and regional [should we add a half cent sales tax for public transit improvements]) in Northern California.

Someone's spending quite a few dollars on these since they were live caller on a cell phone. I'm not convinced it's push polling but it's very interesting to note.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 2, 2016

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Spatula City posted:

I used to love This American Life, but now they have programs that do the same thing, better, with no Ira Glass. like, Snap Judgment, Radiolab, and the Moth Radio Hour.

See I'm the opposite. This American Life is alright but I can't stand any of those three shows you mentioned.

Radiolab would almost be good if it wasn't for the *breaking glass* *glug glug glug glug* over production -tion -tion -tion

iospace posted:

you shut your whore mouth right now. Go, do it.

It's more like Classic Peanuts. I appreciate Car Talk for what it is, but it's time to move on and find a replacement. Otherwise, at some point it's gonna be 2040 when a tenth of all cars are electric and 50% are hybrids and I'll still be hearing about someone's broken 1989 Toyota Corolla.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 2, 2016

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Ice Phisherman posted:

Isn't it only around 5% of their funding now?

Only if you look at the top line. If you start digging into the public media foundations and individual stations that help comprise the other top-level line items, you find out it's a bit bigger. I think it's somewhere around 35-40% if you look at both direct and indirect government funding, but it's been a while since I ran the numbers.

EDIT: Found it. The national arm of NPR gets about 20% of its funding, directly or indirectly, from the Feds.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 2, 2016

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
So it turns out that if you've ever clicked through that "Non Disclosure Agreement" so you can volunteer for Trump, you've agreed to never say a bad word about Trump, any member of his family, his businesses or his family's businesses for the rest of your life.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Phone posted:

Nah, they get taken to non binding arbitration which is good because __________________.

Actually the form says that any Trumpling is allowed to submit their contract dispute to binding arbitration if they so choose.

And then they can sue you anyway if they aren't happy with the result.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
So is Trey Gowdy getting a promotion next term? Seems like he deserves one.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Trabisnikof posted:

Will the press continue this in a potential Clinton administration?

Yes.

Trabisnikof posted:

Will every single FOIA for emails from the federal government be framed as "the Clinton email scandals expand to the EPA as Clinton administration officials have refused to release all emails pertaining to the environment to the RNC"

Judicial Watch wouldn't be Judicial Watch if they didn't.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Vox covers a study that explains what we already know (Why Democrats ain't holding state houses before 2030, or "lol better vote for Trump if you want Dems in the state lege")

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So Hillary just had a bit of a coughing fit during her speech. So get ready to hear about that for a week.

Wrap it up Hillarailures. Even NBC is starting to take the coughing thing seriously. RIP Hillary 1947-2016

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Ron Jeremy posted:

In other news Phyllis Schlafly is dead

Finally we'll be able to pass the ERA!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Phyllis Schlafly may have just died, but did she have a big coughing fit yesterday before she did? America deserves to know.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Luckyellow posted:

hold on, y'all are missing an important point with watch talk.

Why the gently caress are you guys wearing watches in the shower in the first place?

You mean you don't? :confused:

Count me as a happy 200 meter water resistant watch owner.

It's got radioactive tritium tubes so it's actually useful in the dark! :shepface:

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 6, 2016

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
FiveThirtyEight just updated. Trump's chances have once again breached 30%.

And while CNN appears to be an outlier, it's really not too far from the mean it seems. Most of the recent polls with Hillary up more than 3% are RV polls not LV polls. The LV polls, as you would expect, are much tighter.

In short, now's as good a time as any to sign up to volunteer for Hillary (unless your boss signed away your rights by volunteering for Trump)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Petr posted:

OK serious question now that Trump is the unquestioned leader: once he wins, do you think he'll actually have the Clintons arrested, or are the optics too bad on that?

Yes.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 6, 2016

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Instant Sunrise posted:

i wonder how much of this hypercritical coverage on hillary while brushing off the actual poo poo trump is doing is because after decades of conservatives saying "liberal media liberal media liberal media LIBERAL MEDIA LIBERAL MEDIA!" a lot of the news outlets have moved to the right to avoid accusations of bias

2/3 that, 1/3 "media knows on which side their bread is buttered"

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

nachos posted:

Not so hot take alert if anyone's been following the media the last month, trump is guaranteed to win the first debate.

Immediately afterwards, the polls will tighten to horse race levels as Republicans begin to accept him as "presidential."

It happened for Romney, it will happen for Trump.

Hillary still has a built in advantage, but it will be close. It has always been likely to be within only a few points.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Munkeymon posted:

Well sure if you only consider the 2^8th most likely outcomes from before politics went off the rails. If you consider all states a toss-up, he has 2^50 paths!

Want to see the path to victory where Trump loses every state but still wins the election.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Epic High Five posted:

Then she did and won a contest because they were so good, then never did again

Don't forget that some of the media decided to revive this exact topic a few weeks ago by "innocently" highlighting that the "Clinton Family Cookies" that were put up against whatever Melania submitted this election happen to be the same recipe as the 1992 one (implying that Hillary is lazy and a self-plagiarist) and also they aren't attributed to either Hillary or Bill (insinuating that neither is a good housekeeper)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In non-election/non-media news: It looks like we won't be getting a "No First Use" pledge from Obama.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Sounds like these Silicon Valley Marvels have successfully disrupted your digestive system!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Man, one lousy CNN poll and the entire thread goes to hell.

But didn't you know that Hillary is a bad candidate?

Here, let me explain every conspiracy theory ever involving Hillary Clinton until you accept that she is lovely and decide to vote for Jill Stein.

Vincent Walker Foster Jr. was born January 15, 1945, not knowing what fate would befall him 48 years later at the hands of a future friend who had been born and raised in the home of the Daley machine, Chicago, Illinois...

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The House Freedom Caucus is preparing to demand the virtual cessation of refugee resettlement in exchange for a continuing resolution.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

CommieGIR posted:

Where was the good guys with a gun?!

We need to legalize open carry on school grounds.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Stallion Cabana posted:

UT already has this.

I know. That's not the school grounds I'm talking about.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Wrap it up, Hillarailures. 71% of 250 doctors polled online who belong to the American Association of Physicians and Surgeons which was founded to "fight socialized medicine and to fight the government takeover of medicine" believe that Hillary is not the healthiest individual ever to ever elected president and should be disqualified as a result.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
A man who called a female cop the c-word and a black cop the n-word when being processed at a police station will be the first man charged with hate crimes against cops in Louisiana.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Crabtree posted:

How many "gifts" did he part with to make those kinds of friends I wonder.

Following the SCOTUS decision last term, this was a given.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

AbedinH, a copyrighted feature of state.goy.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Tarezax posted:

I can see this happening with image-based text recognition, but the original document is an e-mail so that would never even come into play

To be completely fair to Assange (not that he deserves it) pretty much all of these e-mails have been posted online as images, not text

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Hollismason posted:

It's great that we are having these conversations about sexual assault but why do people immediately discount the claims against Bill Clinton.

Thanks for letting me know I can ignore the thread for the next 1000 posts.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

iospace posted:

Well, 5.3 magnitude earthquake in North Korea:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37314927
Very close their prior test sites.

South Korea called it an "artificial" tremor. So brace yourselves for another round of pundits patting themselves on the back about how Democratic foreign policy has failed and how Trump will win the Korean War and will beat all the Koreas, every one.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
While we are still sort of talking about McDonnell getting off, Slate would like to remind you that the Roberts Court will not tolerate any suggestion that Pam Bondi is actually corrupt.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-jerry-brown-signs-climate-laws-20160908-snap-story.html

This is more state-level policy but pretty huge for the US in general, because if this works then we could see a lot of support for tougher climate initiatives in the future

Vox recently had a breakdown of what this might require, including:

• Requiring an average car fleet efficiency of 54MPG by 2050
  • Requiring 25% of all cars in California be electric by 2030 (and 60% by 2050)
  • Requiring 20% of all petroleum in California be biofuel by 2020 (of which 40% is grown in-state) and 33% by 2030
  • Requiring 50% of all residential units to be retrofit to net zero energy by 2030 and 100% of all new residential units to be net zero energy by 2020
  • Requiring 51% of all electricity to be renewable by 2030
  • Cancelling the closure of Diablo Canyon and reopening (or replacing) San Onofre with another nuclear plant
  • Building 6.8GW of electricity storage into the grid by 2030 (the largest pumped storage facility today is only 3GW)
  • Building 2.5GW of CCS plants by 2050
  • Reducing per capita water consumption by 40%
  • Phasing out HFCs as refrigerants and propellants (e.g. in inhalers) by 2050, starting with a 30% reduction by 2020
  • Capturing 10% of methane from landfills and diverting 100% of waste from landfills by 2035
  • Beginning the conversion of pastureland back to forests (by an unknown amount) to increase sequestration of greenhouse gases
  • Finishing the build-out of High-Speed Rail by 2022 (lol) and somehow doubling the projected growth of ridership to 54m riders per year by 2030

This is not going to be an easy task, and will probably make California an even more expensive place to live (as if it wasn't already). Brown's demand that developers be made effectively immune to resident opposition will probably be necessary in urban areas.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Obama has been a failure and it's time for a change.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Pakled posted:

True, though of course, it's not everything. Bill had net +19 approval going into the 2000 election and we all know how that turned out.

There's one key difference though: Gore ran from Clinton until the last weeks of his campaign; Hillary has been campaigning for Obama's third term since last year.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Where do you people even come up with this poo poo.

I'm pretty sure the "Hillary has janky pantsuit fashion because they don't make good bulletproof vests for women" topic has come up before in a previous iteration of this thread. But I'm pretty sure even then it was speculation.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Night10194 posted:

I mean, the danger here is not that she loses support but rather that people aren't talking about 'Trump literally boasted about how his tower was the tallest now, on 9/11'.

That's it. It's a minor missed opportunity, not some kind of massive campaign destroying problem.

Yeah but Hillary really needed to turn around and not have another week of the more craven parts of the media crowing about "IS HILLARY CLINTON REALLY SICK?"

Now that's not going to happen and Trump gets yet another softball week, letting him close the gap by one or two points more.

EDIT: It's not campaign ending by any stretch, but Hillary has had a stretch of bad news cycles and this does nothing to turn it around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

it's a non story. It's hot and muggy at an emotional event. If it were anything remotely worse, a trip to Chelsea's apartment for a few minutes wouldn't do the trick.

Drudge Report hasn't posted it front and center yet so maybe you're right :tinfoil:

• Locked thread