Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

honda whisperer posted:

I picked this up today thanks to the addition of vive support. Holy poo poo this is amazing. It blows pcars out of the water not just in physics but it even looks better (in a hmd). Probably the lack of bloom and motion blur and other smear your screen with grease "high end graphics".

Are there larger sales than 10-30% off? I sense a serious addiction coming on.

Do you run into issues where looking left in the vive results in looking right in your car? I get this sometimes at the start of a session and it's annoying as hell. It also corrects itself after a bit but it can take a while.

Other than that, it's all I could hope for, so awesome to race in VR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

e. Special-reveal talk spoilered below

It would be nice to have a 4wd Audi ready for release of dirt though, I see some possibilities. Also I dig the looks of cars from that era a lot, if it gets some company it might make a nice change of pace from gt3. Tbh i have no clue what the driving is like in these cars, are they like group 5s with very minimal electronic assistance and a lot of raw power?

Old Binsby fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 13, 2016

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

CaseFace McGee posted:

Spoiler tags bro, some people like waiting for the big reveal.

I'm looking forward to more details in a few hours, this could be pretty cool if they can expand the scope next year.

doh, sorry about that. Spoilered it. Hope I didn't ruin your surprise.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Helicon One posted:

That says to me 'completely impossible to drive in any way' so likely to be the road equivalent of Sprint Cars where everyone thinks it is cool that they exist but nobody races them.
After watching this wonderfully camp 80s video I have a feeling you're correct: https://youtu.be/jkeVY6N4T0w

although it's probably not as bad as the Sprint Cars, more like the super V8s

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Part 2 next week :golfclap:

Way to keep the tension high

Anyone saw that open wheeler in the back when they were showing the 3d-imaging? Was that the lmp1 everyone seems to want by any chance?

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

CaseFace McGee posted:

Next week, or on part 3 on the 27th (you know it's gonna happen) they will announce the series info. Either that will be the focus of part 2, or we can figure out the likely series based on the car that they announce next week.

I'm guessing they have one more car ready to go... and two more either in progress, or scanned but not modeled.

If that's the case I like them just releasing the cars instead of endlessly repeating 'it's coming, no really we're working on it' like with the Renault and some tracks they're supposedly making.

Also the audi at lime rock was fun, seems like I wasn't wayyy slow compared to some other goons in that session. Looking forward to gooncar next week (won't be in town this Sunday)

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Largepotato posted:

Does the G27 still have driver issues with Windows 10?

Mine had until i disabled automatic driver updating for the wheel. I've since gotten the anniversary update so maybe it's gotten better but I'm not eager to try what the situation is like now cause driver poo poo is so annoying. I mean it's 2016, I thought drivers were a fixed problem. Turns out they're not

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Wow another radical and cool car and releasing it without the usual 504 gateway errors?? They're on a roll, making me feel bad to spend a long weekend out of town. Hope there's a part three that gets mentioned tomorrow

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Ok so oval racing in a skip is not a part of my current skillset. Microphone wasnt working so couldn't complain about it either, when I steered into a wall fidgeting with my pit settings I realized it was time to call it a night. Hope to see you guys next week, maybe I'm a little more competitive if we turn right every once in a while.

I do wonder though, hotlapping I turned laps of around 18 seconds flat around bristol on a decent lap in default weather. What in the name of christ can you do to knock .3 of a second off that?? I just keep it in 4th, lift a little for each corner and try to keep as much exit speed as possible. Is this not the trick to turning left?

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Torabi posted:

For some reason they aren't updating the track rotation list in the Skip Barber forum. So I can't tell which tracks are about to leave rotation. Was thinking of getting three tracks since I haven't bought anything for iRacing in ages. Le Mans, Imola (Though I am a bit uncertain about this one since it doesn't look THAT interesting, but maybe I am missing something), and a third track. Any other recommendations?

Depends on what you own. I adore Zandvoort (half because it's local, half because it's a cool track), mid ohio, twin ring. But all of those are either already out or going out of rotation soon in the skip series. Can't go wrong with the long nurburgring though.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

The Ring and Bathurst in any car is much like rookie miatas in that aspect. Don't crash --> decent finish

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

The Science Goy posted:

drat right, best car in iRacing.

Have another video, because Kamel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3D2DhhQnT4

I should have muted that Nissan kid much sooner, but he stopped talking every time I reached for the "mute driver" button.

My SR is going to tank so bad from this track - I definitely will need to do some Skip or BES to bring it back up a bit.

The audi's great but I'm missing downshifts by the dozen. Guess I just need to be more patient. I'm also rusty as gently caress, did my first two official races of the year in the skips at okoyama. Spun out by myself, twice. Didn't do terrible in traffic though, which would have been worse

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

The dirt build up on the visors is pretty awesome in the rift. it puts the dirt layer a couple inches in front of your face.

I only just noticed this, but yeah. Gonna be pretty intense driving long distance if casefaces windscreen in his Kamel video is anything to go by. Skippy races are a little too short to get a strong effect but it's definitely there. I'm too lazy to check, but is the helmet visor tearable mid-race? Might need to bind a button for that in longer renault/mazda/prototype races.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Larrymer posted:

iRacing is down so the test site is back up (or was). I don't own the Audi so I wanted to see what the hubub was with it. I thought I was bad at cars before driving it, and holy poo poo am I even more terrible driving that. The shifts on it are unforgiving, downshifts especially, with my admittedly worn G27 shifter. It's all over the drat road, but at least it looks like the setup options that may help that are pretty simple. Tried taking some toe away and then it was just understeery.

It'll be amazing on dirt (since it feels like it's on dirt while on the road anyway :v:) so I'll probably wait for that, even though it makes all the right noises. :allears:

It is pretty amazing. The in car adjustable rear arb also helps but I believe the audi is just understeery in general. Try the nissan too, it's way faster through corners and a lot of fun, also doesn't give you as hard a time shifting because you can just lift instead of clutch

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

skit herre posted:

So I decided to check this out and bought a month. It pulled my loving real name from PayPal as my in-game name and I can't figure out how to change that. What the hell is that about, I am not going to play online games under my real name?

/e: Ok, that's how it is supposed to work. Well that were 6 wasted.

It's not weird if everyone's bound by the same rule somehow. If you like online competition and racing, try it for a bit. Even the YouTube streamers are all well known by their real names at this point, doesn't seem to bug them that much either.

You can use custom names in leagues, gooncar does that with forums names.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

for the longest time I raced with my G27 bolted to the desk, pedals under the table and my rolling office chair. This setup was a recipe for disaster whenever I needed to press all three pedals (aka each downshift in a non-dogbox car) cause I'd roll back a little, no matter what kind of poo poo I put behind my chair wheels. Or, worse, the pedals could hop forward just a little. So I bought a Simetik K2 cockpit, and I will now shamelessly plug this 300$ piece of hardware wherever and whenever I can because it really is the best thing ever. Solid, small(ish), adjustable to the nth degree. I don't think there's anything better in this price range, it easily beats out the playseat and equivalents (there's a video of a guy standing on the wheel mount of his K2). Being able to brake with confidence is totally worth it.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Roller Coast Guard posted:

I read this as Simtek and briefly thought the mid-90s Formula 1 team had risen from the dead as a peripheral manufacturer :unsmith:

Well now that you mention that I do kind of wish K2 were purple and covered in MTV advertising.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Depending on your budget it's a good choice but I tried one and felt there was too much lateral motion in the steering bit for me. Saying the K2 is the best in the 300$ range isn't really a fair comparison since it doesn't include... a chair. But you can get that for semi cheap regardless and if you don't need triples (yay VR) you're all set. It also includes TWO stickers with your name/flag on them so you can pretend to be a race car driver even more.

Ok i'll shut up now but I still heartily recommend anyone who doesn't already use a fixed seat/pedal mount to consider it because I'm shaving off tenths left and right in practice sessions

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Is it good? I've been wanting one.

The K2? I promised to shut up but wth it's such a great piece of hardware. Very rigid, all inclinations (wheel, pedal, shifter) and depths adjustable by allen wrench. It's ostensibly a GT-car type chassis (based on an audi R8), you're not going to get an open wheel style seating position. However, the pedals can be raised a fair bit and the wheel can go quite low. The most usual adjustments (steering wheel height and depth/pedal inclination) are adjustable without tools. Fanatec, Logitech and Thrustmaster are all supported natively, screws for attaching hardware are provided, the keyboard holder is pretty good, there's holes drilled so you can fit just about any car seat on the chassis.
Most important to me is that there is no central support bar in the footwell, so left-foot braking isn't hindered at all, and there is no flex whatsoever in the steering wheel mount and shifter. Maybe those fancy direct drive servo wheels might be able to shake it a little, but a G27 on high FF can't. Should have gotten something like this earlier. I was considering a sim-lab chassis (80/20 aluminum) but that's nearly twice the price after all addons. Maybe r-seat is of comparable rigidity, but it's a couple hundred bucks more expensive as well. It's way stiffer than the one playseat I tried. I never considered obutto because I don't like the way they look and they're way more bulky so that's not a path I wanted to go down. Plus, if you're so inclined, Simetik indicated that they'll be releasing a hotas addon in the future (asked them over mail). They ship from Portugal, so to the US that's about 100$. In the EU the rate is around 40 euro.

If you wanted to know about the playseat, excuse my effortposting lol. Off to put in a couple laps at daytona in the ruf.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Rated PG-34 posted:

Turns out the option that made the biggest diff is buried in an ini file :argh:

which is that? I just run things lowish generally (on a 970 with the Vive) and turn off crowds/grandstands completely. The Daytona infield section for example has seen a marked improvement since I did that. I believe Monza is affected heavily as well. I get a solid 90 fps out of these basic settings, even with all others between medium and low (including AA and the other one that has a dropdown with a bunch of options).

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Im super late but if you all need any help in the wee hours of the morning (US time)/the morning proper (EU time) tomorrow I'm available until the race finishes. I don't race a lot these days but I know the AMG GT3 fairly well and have dragged it around Daytona too (but never for an entire enduro fuel tanks' worth). Looks like we're still going but I've got plans tonight, good luck and maybe see you tomorrow. I'll hop on discord then to see what's up. Just joined team bearpope just in case so this post is a bit of a heads up -- don't kick me for being a rando thx

e nvm spoke to soon. is joining a team not allowed after a race starts? in that case, ignore the above and count me in for the next enduro, hopefully

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

njsykora posted:

You can join the team after the start of the race if you have the password, it's in the discord in the Daytona channel.

cool thanks, it was updates that made me think I couldn't. All sorted.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Even the street stocks are cool as hell, didn't even try out any of the others yet (my oval rating is probably rookie anyway). Really didn't expect it but dirt racing seems like a genius addition, at least for some of the existing crowd

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

IceAgeComing posted:

The Sprint Cars are like ten times better than the Street Stock; which is just a chore to drive really...

Agreed, jesus christ the others are something else. I was just happy to be sliding around before but I'm now actually considering licensing up on the oval side to race the late model.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Is there a way to judge how fast a track will be before starting a race/qual/practice in dirt? Currently I just see what happens but there have been races (street stock/USA) where I run 25.5 without really trying too hard and ones where I struggle to keep the average above a 26 flat but they were all during similar conditions temperature/humiditywise/daytime. If track conditions shouldn't really influence times heavily I think I'll just blame my drinking or trying too hard. Does overdriving a SS have similar effects on tire temps/grip as in road cars? Anyway, still think this is an aweosme update, though rallycross is kind of meh as a concept it could be great in Iracing judging by current mud physics

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

NtotheTC posted:

I've got such an itch to play this again. However it's been 4+ years since I last touched it, and it involves transporting all my stuff up from my parents house where it's stashed to my new place and then convincing my girlfriend that it totally doesn't take up that much space in the office, so in light of all that effort I have some questions:

Still good for casual racing? I should be able to manage a couple of races a week.
Is the Skip barber still popular?
Is my G25 still going to do the business once I get the layers of dust off of it, or do I really need a new wheel/pedal set?
Any additions in the last 4 years to sweeten the deal? I saw something the other day about dirt racing, hows that playing out?

1. Yes
2. Yes, nearly every race goes official and most have multiple splits in my (eu) tz
3. Yes, g25 and 27 are both still servicable. The g29 isn't an upgrade really so I'd stick with what you have unless you want to get much higher quality stuff
4. Theres a Porsche now (singular for the time being, more coming), the Ring is a great addition if only to put in some chill practice laps, graphics are improving steadily, windscreens get dirty, VR support is very good. Tire model has been improving steadily, I think 4 years ago car feeling was significantly different. But i can't tell since it happened slowly and I've only been subbed for 2 years.
Dirt has been added and while it's still too early to gauge long term popularity it definitely got off to a good start. Some neat car/league additions, audi gto and nissan gtp imsa being significant 'recent' examples. It appears a new damage model is being worked on but obviously no eta except for 'at some point'

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

I run with full rotation in logitech profiler, iracing autolocks the range to the correct value. Ff is fiddly, basically trial and error is my usual approach.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

The iracing forums, while often terrible otherwise, have decently active rookie series subforums. Very likely there are weekly guides and dast/medium/slow times posted for whatever track you need. Rookie tracks don't really change so there's also a lot of older stuff, the lap times won't be comparable but general advice is.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

tater_salad posted:

Maybe I"ll give dirt a try.

Do it, the free car/track is fun (moreso if you haven't driven the others yet). The races are conveniently short but pretty intense. Barely 20 minutes total to do one including the practice/qual session but the most fun I've had in a sim since the dirt:rally early access. Wrecks aplenty depending on your irating but predicting trouble ahead, letting off a bit and sliding around the clusterfuck like you're in the goddamn Dukes of Hazzard owns enough to make up for that

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

There are a lot of free cars though. Not one for every class, but you can practice in mx5, street stocks + that one chrysler that no one likes on the slower end. Faster free cars are old dallara, the cadillac and i think a free truck for ovals. There's a lot of room between them but without prior experience it's hard to drive fast cars properly. Probably best to just take it easy in the rookie series while you try to learn at least the basics of racecraft (i.e. driving with other people around/around other people)

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

It's also a fun car, much preferable to the Ruf (at least easier to get into). Is the 'real' gt3 911 coming soon™ did I just make up that they announced both at the same time?

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

You've probably already considered it and opted not to, but just in case you didn't: Try racing in VR some time. Yes, visual fidelity is worse and you still need a fat PC to run it all. If you're going for an i5 + GTX1070 anyway that should be no problem considering my 4 year old Xeon + 970 also work fine for VR with a few settings turned down to low-med. The immersion (to me) is totally worth the lack of slick graphics and having a sim cockpit sit on relatively tiny footprint without the triples mount also really helps because I don't really have space for those. Mileage varies a lot though. What cockpit are you going for? I'm really satisfied with the Simetik one I got last year, it's small/sturdy/reasonably priced. Plus they're good dudes so I tend to plug them when I can.

Agreed with the TV advice. No matter how many FPS you get, if the refresh rate sucks you still won't get an ideal experience. Along the same lines, the difference a 120/144Hz monitor makes is massive but I don't know if 1440p/120+Hz screens are made in a semi-affordable price range yet. I did not expect the difference to be so big when I swapped my one 24" 1080p screen but it's worth every penny.

njsykora posted:

They announced a Porsche partnership though what that means in iRacing terms is anyone's guess. I'd assume since it's basically guaranteed money the 911 RSR (the Porsche GT3 car) is at least being worked on.

That was to be expected I guess. I thought they'd actually already announced the GT3 car but my memory is probably still a little rose tinted from that magical couple of weeks when the Nissan/Audi/Porsche were all announced and released with almost no delay.

e. super beaten

Old Binsby fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 21, 2017

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

That guy's actual name is Speed?? Cool that it'll be free, hope this will be as fun as dirt but it's my least favorite style of rally so im a little wary.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

It will probably be a poo poo show anyway but what I did is practice driving until I could string a few laps together without going into the grass (ideally for about a race length). A lot of people crash in rookies so skill nr2 you need is driving around that. Now you'll never finish last!

Pace doesn't matter that much, it goes up over time and there is no shame in finishing low at first. Race results determine iRating, which in turn puts you in races against drivers with similar ranking (when a race splits, at least) so that should correct itself over time. The only issue with really low irating is that those people also drive really lovely most often.

Also try to practice in online practice sessions so you get used to other people on track

Old Binsby fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 11, 2017

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

The new mx5 should have a working baseline setup anywhere. Definitely on the free tracks. Free tracks are limited a little but the free car range is pretty good imo between mx5, indycar, cadillac, spec racer ford, old supercar v8, a bunch of old oval cars. Also dirt street stocks is basically unique in simracing if you're into that

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Does anyone know what's up with time attack, are the regular time trials going to be replaced by that? Did a few laps in the Ferrari round lime rock and now I'm an expert level hot lapper, lol. The new interface is really slick and I like how well it works in VR but hotlapping is still hotlapping

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

algebra testes posted:

It would be nice if there was a tier of content that was free, above just rookies. So you can really get the feel for the game for your monthly fee, but if you wanna get deep into trucks you can do it?

There sort of is/was, a lot of the signup promotions used to have something like 3 months membership plus a GT3 or either of the two D-class oval cars for 12$, which gave you something to use out of rookies. Though you'd have to be lucky with free tracks in the schedule. Not up to date on current deals. And tbh, if you're not hooked by time you first manage to scrape your MX5/street stock across past the checkered in one piece, no additional free poo poo will change that probably. I was cursing myself for ever downloading iRacing around that time because I knew that one way or another, I'm going to be spending a bunch of money on this fake racing business. That turned out to be right, and despite a few long rear end hiatuses still totally worth it

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

njsykora posted:

I believe street stock still counts for D class participation if you're a full bore glutton for punishment.

Safety rating is license-independent. I might misunderstand, but probably you're talking about the trick of grinding your D license to 4.0SR in the rookie street stocks - tedious but doable, and then doing the advanced street stock C class series?? TimeTrials are the way to go to not ruin that 4.0,if you choose to do this. Now you can meet MPR for both D and C licenses and if you do this while the advanced SS is at lakeland or charlotte you can get there without buying anything. yay, I guess? I chose for sanity and got the K&N to try some relaxing fixed, cautionless races bloodbaths while getting MPR.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Jmcrofts posted:

After a few failures, I completed my first oval race AND my first road race today! Sure I spun out like 10 times but I finished dammit!!

congrats, next race you'll spin only 9 times, maybe :toot:

Or... maybe not at alll because USA International was swapped for Charlotte a couple hours back in the Street Stock schedule. Key differences: number of crashes drops, number of times you brake drops (to ~0), the track is now a triangle and you go fast. Also your outlook on life might get better. At least mine did moving to charlotte. I really hated USA when my iRating was low enough to be bottom split. Due to dirt I jumped a bit and this week all higher split races at USA were super clean, even managed to finally get that D license on ovals (:toot: #2). Came out with 1550 iRating, which surprised me since attaining that on the road side took me a good while longer. Turns out it's all true what they say! Don't crash out, and learning to drive better on roads carries over a little to ovals and vice versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

IRL F1 drivers can't always deal with monza T1 so we should cut ourselves some slack there. Chicanes are tough and they're one aspect of my driving that really improved by going 2-3 wide round ovals for a few hundred laps. But from the tiny lovely one on that Lime Rock layout to majestic Eau Rouge, it's your best bet for a clusterfuck occuring on lap 1, doesn't even need to be in turn 1.

And yeah, no matter the split or car you drive: there's always some dude going round like tiger woods after a few too many xanax. Bottom split rookies have this worse, but higher splits aren't idiot-proof. Probably some exponent of Sturgeons Law

e. is eau rouge even a chicane? maybe just a sweeping corner. Mentally replace it with the bus stop if this is troublesome

Old Binsby fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 25, 2017