Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

LordArgh posted:

No one who's fat makes it to 80

Sure, they go at fifty. And he wants to live 10 years longer than that.

So 60. Congrats to him.... I guess? Almost made it to retirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, but that means you live to 90, instead of 80.

No one who's 80 gives a gently caress if they dropped dead the next day.

Seriouspost: It's about maintaining quality of life.

How do you think this guy's day-to-day existence is like compared to the average octogenarian?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWW6vTML3qk

For myself, I've had intermittent non-specific back problems my entire adult life (i.e. since I was 18, am now 43). Back in the 90s the common wisdom was that the thing to do against back pain was to move as little as possible; after much trial and error I have figured out that this was bullshit and that if I am able to pull 200+ kg off the floor on a good day, then even on the worst days I have enough strength and motor control left to move around and do the stuff I need to do.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
my motivation for working out is, i save like four hundo a month on transportation cuz public transportation here suuuuuuuuuucks. the real thing that seals the deal is, by doing my 10km round trip route to and from work, i ensure that i get fuckin paid

Mein Eyes! posted:

"gotta get to work" 🚲

"gotta get home" 🚲

:smaug::hf::smugdog:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 13, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Groke posted:

How do you think this guy's day-to-day existence is like compared to the average octogenarian?

He's looking forward to another 20 years of life!

Everyone else is praying the specter of death takes them into the sweet bosom of the grave every night before they go to bed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i want to reduce the amount of time i involuntarily spend crying for no reason

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
i usually work out knowing i can treat myself to a nice three cheese pizza at the end of the day :feelsgood:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

It helps counter my severe insomnia. Plus, punching things is fun and good for stress relief. I still goddamn hate burpees though.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"I prefer to work out alone.

It enables me to concentrate on the lessons that the Iron has for me. Learning about what you're made of is always time well spent, and I have found no better teacher. The Iron had taught me how to live. Life is capable of driving you out of your mind. The way it all comes down these days, it's some kind of miracle if you're not insane. People have become separated from their bodies. They are no longer whole.

I see them move from their offices to their cars and on to their suburban homes. They stress out constantly, they lose sleep, they eat badly. And they behave badly. Their egos run wild; they become motivated by that which will eventually give them a massive stroke. They need the Iron Mind.

Through the years, I have combined meditation, action, and the Iron into a single strength. I believe that when the body is strong, the mind thinks strong thoughts. Time spent away from the Iron makes my mind degenerate. I wallow in a thick depression. My body shuts down my mind.

The Iron is the best antidepressant I have ever found. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it's impossible to turn back.

The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."

Cigstomper58
Aug 17, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I worked out today. Main motivation to stay an extra 15 minutes was the number of gorgeous women there today. Dont worry I just used my peripherals to scope out the tight genitals. Im not a monster

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
dopamine is a nice drug

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

I like feeling godawful when I wake up.

Drinking is usually a quicker way to accomplish this though.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
To raise my Power Level.

I must defeat the Baneslayer at the next Tenkaiichi Budokaiden.

For Earth.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Smash it Smash hit posted:

i dont want to die.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
So that when I'm in the Indian takeaway collecting my greedy bastard curry and pakora and paratha I can do so with smug face because I have a firm taut physique including the glistening loins

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
1. My son is 10 and we enjoy doing active things together... I am going to get in on that before he starts to hate me.

2. I sleep better when my back doesn't ache from inactivity.

3. I don't want to be a fat piece of poo poo and the resting state of my family seems to be "fat pieces of poo poo."

I do miss.carbs, though. I admit it. Makes me cranky sometimes.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I work out and enjoy carbs. Learn to accept love handles.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

jonathan posted:

"I prefer to work out alone.

It enables me to concentrate on the lessons that the Iron has for me. Learning about what you're made of is always time well spent, and I have found no better teacher. The Iron had taught me how to live. Life is capable of driving you out of your mind. The way it all comes down these days, it's some kind of miracle if you're not insane. People have become separated from their bodies. They are no longer whole.

I see them move from their offices to their cars and on to their suburban homes. They stress out constantly, they lose sleep, they eat badly. And they behave badly. Their egos run wild; they become motivated by that which will eventually give them a massive stroke. They need the Iron Mind.

Through the years, I have combined meditation, action, and the Iron into a single strength. I believe that when the body is strong, the mind thinks strong thoughts. Time spent away from the Iron makes my mind degenerate. I wallow in a thick depression. My body shuts down my mind.

The Iron is the best antidepressant I have ever found. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it's impossible to turn back.

The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."

it feels very backwards and depressing to remember that as an 18 year old, reading this piece by a good writer whos a terrible musician and worse stand up was all it took to get seriously into weight lifting

now i am old, stricken with grief, and the only thing that gets me jogging at night is that i havent caught a charizard yet

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
Gotta be jacked if you're going bald, that's the rule.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

also,

get beefy, bitch

get REAL beefy

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
skidmarks and protein farts on the rowing machine

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

notZaar posted:

I work out and enjoy carbs. Learn to accept love handles.

I hate how love handles look in a wetsuit.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
To lose my tits and be able to lift your big booty momma up and down on my member

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

GORDON posted:

I hate how love handles look in a wetsuit.

You'll never be happy with your body, the sooner you accept this fact the easier life will be.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
That's a "might as well just get fat" attitude.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

The White Dragon posted:

my motivation for working out is, i save like four hundo a month on transportation cuz public transportation here suuuuuuuuuucks. the real thing that seals the deal is, by doing my 10km round trip route to and from work, i ensure that i get fuckin paid

:smaug::hf::smugdog:

gently caress yeah buddy

cycling is great for poors

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Strictly vanity

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, it's 100% vanity. Like I give a gently caress about lifting poo poo. I can pay some idiot to do that.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I like lifting increasingly heavy things, making progress, and the frustration of failing to progress. I need that contrast or I stagnate. Having a consistent schedule helps me immensely in other areas of my life.

I can also eat more, and I don't feel like binging on 6000 kcals of ice cream and cookies everyday.

It's fun, too.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 13, 2016

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
preparation for nuclear/plague/post-oil armageddon so I can take my rightful spoils from the weak

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Waroduce posted:

To gently caress bad bitches

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

notZaar posted:

MMOs aren't fun anymore but I still need to see numbers go up and pay a subscription service to something.

Pretty much this. I bring a notebook with me to the gym to write down my numbers and see them go up

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mein Eyes! posted:

cycling is great for poors

it is but my city's cycling lanes also suck so i just walk that poo poo. seen a man get pulled over by the popo for riding in the pedestrian path and i don't think i'd like that very much :v:

HollywoodDialysis
Jan 19, 2005

not doing nothing
Grimey Drawer
I'm terrified of having to buy bigger pants and then being made fun of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
My mom had a heart attack at 45. She didn't work out or eat healthy.

I don't intend to repeat that. I still have her lovely genes, but I'm hopeful I can put off the issues until I'm 60 :)

I don't expect to LIVE any longer than her, but I do hope to be agile and mobile longer than her.

Also, muscle is dead sexy. I'd miss them if they were gone again.

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 13, 2016

• Locked thread