Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welcome goonlings to the Awful Book of the Month!
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM me. :siren:

Past Books of the Month

[for BOTM before 2014, refer to archives]

2014:
January: Ursula K. LeGuin - The Left Hand of Darkness
February: Mikhail Bulgalov - Master & Margarita
March: Richard P. Feynman -- Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!
April: James Joyce -- Dubliners
May: Gabriel Garcia Marquez -- 100 Years of Solitude
June: Howard Zinn -- A People's History of the United States
July: Mary Renault -- The Last of the Wine
August: Barbara Tuchtman -- The Guns of August
September: Jane Austen -- Pride and Prejudice
October: Roger Zelazny -- A Night in the Lonesome October
November: John Gardner -- Grendel
December: Christopher Moore -- The Stupidest Angel

2015:
January: Italo Calvino -- Invisible Cities
February: Karl Ove Knausgaard -- My Struggle: Book 1.
March: Knut Hamsun -- Hunger
April: Liu Cixin -- 三体 ( The Three-Body Problem)
May: John Steinbeck -- Cannery Row
June: Truman Capote -- In Cold Blood
(Hiatus)
August: Ta-Nehisi Coates -- Between the World and Me
September: Wilkie Collins -- The Moonstone
October:Seth Dickinson -- The Traitor Baru Cormorant
November:Svetlana Alexievich -- Voices from Chernobyl
December: Michael Chabon -- Gentlemen of the Road

2016:
January: Three Men in a Boat (To say nothing of the Dog!) by Jerome K. Jerome
February:The March Up Country (The Anabasis) of Xenophon
March: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
April: Plain Tales from the Hills by Rudyard Kipling
May: Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima
June:The Vegetarian by Han Kang
July:Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees
August: Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
September]Siddhartha by Herman Hesse

Current:

Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqvddpX1uYA&t=76s

Online hypertext versions available here:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/10554/10554-h/10554-h.htm

http://manybooks.net/titles/wodehous10551055410554-8.html

About the book:

From his "Introduction" to a collection of Wodehouse stories:

Ogden Nash posted:

P.G. Wodehouse needs no introduction.

quote:

Wodehouse understood perfectly what he was about. “I believe,” he remarked in an oft-quoted letter to his friend William Townend, “there are only two ways of writing a novel. One is mine, making the thing a sort of musical comedy without music, and ignoring real life altogether; the other is going down deep into life and not caring a drat.” Most great artists plumb the depths; Wodehouse remained fixed, gloriously, on the surface. That was both his limitation and his achievement. What he lacked in profundity he made up for in verbal dexterity. His province was humor: he didn’t trespass into other realms. He came bearing pleasure, not insight. A master of incongruity, Wodehouse left anguish and betrayal, self-knowledge and social awareness to other, generally lesser, talents.

Stephen Fry posted:

The masterly episode where Gussie Fink-Nottle presents the prizes at Market Snodsbury grammar school is frequently included in collections of great comic literature and has often been described as the single funniest piece of sustained writing in the language. I would urge you, however, to head straight for a library or bookshop and get hold of the complete novel Right Ho, Jeeves, where you will encounter it fully in context and find that it leaps even more magnificently to life.

quote:

The premise of the Jeeves stories is that the brilliant valet is firmly in control of his rich and foppish young employer's life. Jeeves becomes Bertie Wooster's guardian and all-purpose problem solver, devising subtle plans to save Bertie and his friends from boring social obligations, demanding relatives, issues with the law, and, above all, problems involving women. Wodehouse derives much comic effect from having Bertie, his narrator, remain blissfully unaware of Jeeves's machinations, until all is revealed at the end of the story.

http://www.newcriterion.com/articles.cfm/The-genius-of-Wodehouse--2327

This particular novel is the first full length Jeeves and Wooster story. It was dramatized by Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie as Jeeves and Wooster, 1990,. Episode 4, "The Hunger Strike."

About the Author

quote:

Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE (/ˈwʊdhaʊs/; 15 October 1881 – 14 February 1975) was an English author and one of the most widely read humorists of the 20th century. Born in Guildford, the son of a British magistrate based in Hong Kong, Wodehouse spent happy teenage years at Dulwich College, to which he remained devoted all his life. After leaving school he was employed by a bank but disliked the work and turned to writing in his spare time. His early novels were mostly school stories, but he later switched to comic fiction, creating several regular characters who became familiar to the public over the years. They include the feather-brained Bertie Wooster and his sagacious valet, Jeeves; the immaculate and loquacious Psmith; Lord Emsworth and the Blandings Castle set; the Oldest Member, with stories about golf; and Mr Mulliner, with tall tales on subjects ranging from bibulous bishops to megalomaniac movie moguls.

Although most of Wodehouse's fiction is set in England, he spent much of his life in the US and used New York and Hollywood as settings for some of his novels and short stories. During and after the First World War, together with Guy Bolton and Jerome Kern, he wrote a series of Broadway musical comedies that were an important part of the development of the American musical. He began the 1930s writing for MGM in Hollywood. In a 1931 interview, his naďve revelations of incompetence and extravagance at Hollywood studios caused a furore. In the same decade, his literary career reached a new peak.

In 1934 Wodehouse moved to France for tax reasons; in 1940 he was taken prisoner at Le Touquet by the invading Germans and interned for nearly a year. After his release he made six broadcasts from German radio in Berlin to the US, which had not yet entered the war. The talks were comic and apolitical, but his broadcasting over enemy radio prompted anger and strident controversy in Britain, and a threat of prosecution. Wodehouse never returned to England. From 1947 until his death he lived in the US, taking dual British-American citizenship in 1955. He was a prolific writer throughout his life, publishing more than ninety books, forty plays, two hundred short stories and other writings between 1902 and 1974. He died in 1975, at the age of 93, in Southampton, New York.

Wodehouse worked extensively on his books, sometimes having two or more in preparation simultaneously. He would take up to two years to build a plot and write a scenario of about thirty thousand words. After the scenario was complete he would write the story. Early in his career he would produce a novel in about three months, but he slowed in old age to around six months. He used a mixture of Edwardian slang, quotations from and allusions to numerous poets, and several literary techniques to produce a prose style that has been compared with comic poetry and musical comedy. Some critics of Wodehouse have considered his work flippant, but among his fans are former British prime ministers and many of his fellow writers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._G._Wodehouse

Themes and Background

1) Social Inversion:

Of course there's the class inversion of the incompetent upper crust and the genius servant. A few details that highlight that which American readers might miss:

-- Bertie's last name is "Wooster", pronounced "Wooster." "Worcester" as in "Worcestershire" or "the Earl of Worcester" is also pronounced "Wooster," so this is a joke and a way of highlighting that Bertie is both very very very upper-class and also a parody of the upper class.

There's also usually a gender role inversion going on, usually in the form of an Aunt who is taking charge and making all the decisions.

2) Theme and Variation --

It may not be obvious from just the one novel, but every single Jeeves story follows a basic pattern recombined out of a few standard elements -- Bertie, Jeeves, Bertie's Incompetent Friends, Bertie's Frightening Aunts, etc. There's always someone wanting to get married, often to the "wrong" person; there's always an Aunt with very definite ideas as to what Bertie should be doing or not doing, etc. The stories start with a Separation -- Bertie and Jeeves are at odds for some reason. Stage 2 is Bertie Acting On His Own. Stage 3 is Catastrophe. Stage 4 is Jeeves Solving Everything.

So reading these stories is always a bit like listening to a Bach fugue; it's not so much about what happens as it is about the process of watching it happen.

3) What War?

quote:

Wodehouse also recounts that he named his Jeeves after Percy Jeeves (1888–1916), a popular English cricketer for Warwickshire. Wodehouse witnessed Percy Jeeves bowling at Cheltenham Cricket Festival in 1913. Percy Jeeves was killed at the Battle of the Somme during the attack on High Wood in July 1916, less than a year after the first appearance of the Wodehouse character who would make his name a household word.[11]

In a way these stories are as much fantasy and (I'd argue) as much a reaction to WW1 as anything Tolkien wrote, and nothing in these stories is as conspicuous by its absence as any mention at all of the Great War; they seem to take place in an alternate history where the Edwardian Era just continued on forever. At their best, the Jeeves and Wooster stories are simultaneously parodying and eulogizing a kind of Edwardian social structure that WW1 had already long blasted apart by the time most of the stories were written. All of Bertie's friends in the Drones -- upper class, well-meaning, privileged nincompoops -- are exactly the sort of folks who would have all died in the Somme.

(all links from Wikipedia)

Pacing

Just read, then post.

References and Further Reading

Since it's October, if this thread gets ten substantive posts by people who have read the book, before the 30th, I promise a horror-drenched Woosterian October Surprise.

Final Note:

If you have any suggestions to change, improve or assess the book club generally, please PM or email me -- i.e., keep it out of this thread -- at least until into the last five days of the month, just so we don't derail discussion of the current book with meta-discussion. I do want to hear new ideas though, seriously, so please do actually PM or email me or whatever, or if you can't do either of those things, just hold that thought till the last five days of the month before posting it in this thread. Thanks, and I hope everyone enjoys the book!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I always wanted to read more Wodehouse as everything I've ever read of his I've adored completely.

I'm slightly ashamed to say I haven't actually read any of his Jeeves stuff. Mainly Blandings, Psmith and Uncle Fred.

Gonna get this from the library tomorrow.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Wodehouse is actually one of the huge glaring gaps in my reading history, so this seems like a good time to fix that.

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
I'm glad to say that Wodehouse is the only author to have ever reduced me to helpless giggles (not this book, though) and that finding a complete set of the Wodehouse omnibus (vols 1-5) in the local library was one of the highlights of my errant youth. If you've any sense of humor at all, you owe it to yourself to pick this book up.

It's true that all of his books are pretty much identical in plot, though. The magic is, you don't care. As I recall, he wrote a sad ending once and his fans complained so vociferously he changed it and never wrote another one again.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Wodehouse was a genius of his genre. If every author wrote as much to their own strengths as Wodehouse, reading would still be the main form of entertainment. So stoked he's this month's Author!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I always feel Wodehouse is a bit of a slow burner in that all the intricate lines he draws usually only intersect dramatically later on, and I think I've reached that point now.

Can't wait to see how Jeeves solves everything.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I am about a third in and it is well-written , funny, and clever. I have laughed out loud several times.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
About halfway through, it's more of a slow burner than I expected. Still, I laughed at this:

quote:

I must say I saw the girl's viewpoint. It's only about once in a lifetime that anything sensational ever happens to one, and when it does, you don't want people taking all the colour out of it. I remember at school having to read that stuff where that chap, Othello, tells the girl what a hell of a time he'd been having among the cannibals and what not. Well, imagine his feelings if, after he had described some particularly sticky passage with a cannibal chief and was waiting for the awestruck "Oh-h! Not really?", she had said that the whole thing had no doubt been greatly exaggerated and that the man had probably really been a prominent local vegetarian.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
I always meant to check Wodehouse out just because I love Steven Fry. Well thanks for this BOTM choice because I've been laughing my rear end off since I started it. Dude's a master of language.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Finished this yesterday.

Quite a lot of people have expressed the sentiment that Wodehouse is 'medicine for the soul', and I think they're on to something.

I've been having a lovely time of it lately and this cheered me right up. Things don't seem quite as bleak as they were :unsmith:

Anyway, this was the first Jeeves book I've actually read. The only stuff I'd read before were Uncle Fred etc, so it was neat to see the situation from the non domineering relative point of view.

Aunt Dahlia was fantastic. Her increasingly abusive telegram messages to Bertie demanding he come at once were great. She definitely isn't afraid to tell Bertie what he needs to hear, rather than what he wants to.

Fink-Nottle's speech was definitely all it was cracked up to be, particularly near the end when we finally get to (nearly) hear exactly what Gussie thinks of Bertie. In vino veritas, I guess.

I also loved that incredibly well reasoned argument that Bertie manages to give while being chased around a tiny bench. That would have done Hollywood, with its similar traditions, incredibly proud.

I think what I like most about Wodehouse is, despite him writing largely about the sort of people the vast majority would never get to meet, he has absolutely no airs or pretences at all and treats the reader as a knowing friend rather than a casual observer. Even the little touches like him abbreviating words gives that impression.

It reminds me a lot of Austen in that, no matter the circumstances, it's all a big joke, and the reader is in on it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

How did I nearly miss this thread? Wodehouse is one of the best authors out there, and I'm down for reading this....well, I think I gave my copy of the book to my brother, so as soon as I get a copy out of the library to read. But I'm in! (I prefer paper books to ebooks, I'm boring that way.)

Also, obligatory shout-out to the tv adaptation of the Jeeves novels. They're good. Stephen Fry as Jeeves is absolutely a perfect fit.

e: drat. My library doesn't have it, and neither does the inter-library loan system. Guess I'm going in on the ebook after all!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 14, 2016

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Rush Limbo posted:

Aunt Dahlia was fantastic. Her increasingly abusive telegram messages to Bertie demanding he come at once were great. She definitely isn't afraid to tell Bertie what he needs to hear, rather than what he wants to.

The final speech at the awards ceremony gets most of the love when people talk about this book but goddamn it was the the telegrams between Dahlia and Bertie that made me the laugh the hardest I ever had while sitting down with a book.

I also love how everything is really only resolved when Jeeves manages to get Bertie away from everyone else long enough for people to just talk it out--while Bertie, the utter fop, ruminates on what it must have felt like for the peasants before the French Revolution, looking in at the feasting rich.

I kind of wonder what the jokes per minute rate would be if you sat down a counted it out--Wodehouse doesn't waste words on anything that doesn't build atmosphere or make you laugh. There's all these little one sentence throw away lines and action--when Bertie gets back from his midnight bike ride and just kind of pitches the bike (which belongs to someone else) into a hedge. If you let yourself really build the scene cinematically, amazing visual gag.

I guess I can feel a lot of this humors influence on something like 30 Rock? Which Roger Ebert once described as being as funny as it was possible to be while existing in a purely "comedy" universe or the real one, and has the same frenetic energy and pace and colliding, intersecting storylines that only manage to fit together because it's that funny that they do.

Also Jesus Christ if Tuppy Glossop isn't a fantastic name.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Wodehouse has a way with names. I've always enjoyed Pongo Twistleton

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I adore Wodehouse and this book especially. I've read it several times already, but your OP was a perfect introduction and I'm so glad more people are discovering Bertie and Jeeves

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
I enjoyed seeing "a swift kick in the pants" in British English, implying a kick to a girl's panties. Also, I want to concur that the funniest parts are strewn throughout in little throw away lines. One example of so, so many:

quote:

It simply wouldn’t occur to him that a girl might be prepared to give up her life’s happiness rather than waive her shark.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
We're halfway through the month, so it's probably time to post this.

If anyone wants to watch the Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie adaptation of this novel, it's online here (it was a two-parter):

First Half: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH5_xlKlYew

Second Half: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_CwiNVtuxE

edit:This is not the Halloween Surprise which is still to come

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 15, 2016

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

And now I get to see the mess jacket in its full color TV splendor.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm glad to have something to push me to get into a Wodehouse, because I've been trying to get back into him and was stymied by the way the beginning of nearly all his books is a bunch of rich idiots I want to strangle and it takes a while for the madness to really kick in.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
I really liked all the parts of Angela tormenting Tuppy. Especially the way she served the ham sandwiches.

My brother recommended Wake Up, Sir! It's a Jonathan Ames novel written in Wodehouse style.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Sort of on topic - I've read the BotM but I'm still more familiar with the stories from the TV show. Would anyone know which books include my favorite character out of that - Spode, the amateur dictator?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

anilEhilated posted:

Sort of on topic - I've read the BotM but I'm still more familiar with the stories from the TV show. Would anyone know which books include my favorite character out of that - Spode, the amateur dictator?

The Code of the Woosters, Jeeves and the Feudal Spirit, Stiff Upper Lip Jeeves (also features Madeline Basset from the BOTM) and Much Obliged Jeeves

Like with a lot of Wodehouse's stuff it's more contemporary than we might think, and Spode probably wouldn't be hugely out of place in the alt right.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 17, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, going to load up on my next library trip. It's kind of what I've been thinking with the resurgence of nationalist nutjobs all over Europe these days.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Rush Limbo posted:

I think what I like most about Wodehouse is, despite him writing largely about the sort of people the vast majority would never get to meet, he has absolutely no airs or pretences at all and treats the reader as a knowing friend rather than a casual observer. Even the little touches like him abbreviating words gives that impression.

It reminds me a lot of Austen in that, no matter the circumstances, it's all a big joke, and the reader is in on it.

One thing I'm really appreciating on this reread is the way he writes Bertie, walking the line between intelligence and buffoonery. Bertie always has ideas that *almost* work. He makes a lot of very well educated and intelligent quips, he just can never remember the source or misquotes them slightly or misattributes them to Jeeves. When he doea have a good idea, everyone assumes it was really from Jeeves.

And for all his privilege, Bertie always tries to help.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Yeah, from the works I've read from him Wodehouse really likes all of his characters. They may be ridiculous, a bit too spoiled, or just not that smart, but they aren't ever contemptible.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, Bertie's only real defect (and admittedly it's a pretty huge defect) is that he's proud and always assumes that this time his plans are going to work out, and that the people who think he's an idiot (ie, everybody) are just being mean.

Though, I could think of a few characters in Wodehouse who don't have any redeeming characteristics, like the Duke of Dunstable. Aunt Agatha is pretty much pure bad, as I recall, although Lady Constance has a softer side.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 18, 2016

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Rush Limbo posted:

Like with a lot of Wodehouse's stuff it's more contemporary than we might think, and Spode probably wouldn't be hugely out of place in the alt right.
Wow, that's really insightful analysis.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One thing I'm really appreciating on this reread is the way he writes Bertie, walking the line between intelligence and buffoonery. Bertie always has ideas that *almost* work. He makes a lot of very well educated and intelligent quips, he just can never remember the source or misquotes them slightly or misattributes them to Jeeves. When he doea have a good idea, everyone assumes it was really from Jeeves.

And for all his privilege, Bertie always tries to help.

Yeah. It would have been easy to make Bertie just quite unpleasant, but he's not. He's a likeable guy and you want him to succeed. You know he won't, ultimately he'll overlook some minor detail and wind up in the soup, but you cheer for him anyways. Really, I think there's some Bertie in all of us.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Thanks for the BOTM selection! I just started reading this and am about 1/5 through, so still early enough. I've never read any Wodehouse, and I'm loving it. It's really funny. I'm perhaps not finding Bertie as likeable as many of you have said in recent posts. He reminds me a bit of the narrator in Three Men in a Boat.

Is there a picture of the offending evening coat? I don't quite understand why it is so shocking to Jeeves (I know evening dress used to be a very big deal, so I understand the general idea, but I'm curious how it compared to traditional evening dress)

Edit: sounds like it's in the video adaptation. Will watch those after I'm done reading. I'm only skimming the thread so far since I've hardly gotten into it.

The telegrams with his aunt were amazing.

Enfys fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 18, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Enfys posted:

Thanks for the BOTM selection! I just started reading this and am about 1/5 through, so still early enough. I've never read any Wodehouse, and I'm loving it. It's really funny. I'm perhaps not finding Bertie as likeable as many of you have said in recent posts. He reminds me a bit of the narrator in Three Men in a Boat.

Is there a picture of the offending evening coat? I don't quite understand why it is so shocking to Jeeves (I know evening dress used to be a very big deal, so I understand the general idea, but I'm curious how it compared to traditional evening dress)

Edit: sounds like it's in the video adaptation. Will watch those after I'm done reading. I'm only skimming the thread so far since I've hardly gotten into it.

The telegrams with his aunt were amazing.

Jeeves is mortally offended by any evening coat that's not solid black

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Enfys posted:

Ok, yeah, this might be something that needs explaining to modern readers, especially perhaps Americans.

Jeeves is Bertie's "Gentleman's Personal Gentleman," or valet. Like half his job is making sure that Bertie is dressed well -- maintaining Bertie's wardrobe, shining shoes, cleaning clothes, etc.

Since Jeeves is a perfect gentleman's gentleman, whenever Bertie dresses . . . less than perfectly . . . it makes Jeeves look bad, like he's not doing his job or doing it badly.

Like if you've watched Downton Abbey, you know how part of the chief Butler's job is making sure all the silver is perfectly polished? And how a good Butler takes pride in that? Imagine if someone in the family decided to start using plastic forks with every meal instead.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Jeeves is mortally offended by any evening coat that's not solid black

Also this but he's not wrong

Long and short, half the joke is how silly the jacket makes Bertie look, and the other half of the joke is how obsessive over sartorial perfection Jeeves is.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 18, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There's also the additional joke where Jeeves tries everything in his power to get rid of any given item while not appearing to do it purposefully.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
WODEHOUSIAN HALLOWEEN SURPRISE:

http://imgur.com/a/PzEly

Excerpted from Alan Moore's "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier".

We need suggestions for next month!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I should have known Moore would have done something with Wodehouse in the league.

What he did with the Invisible Man and Hyde was :gonk:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Just started on this. I hear Stephen Fry's voice in my head whenever Jeeves speaks even though I've never seen any of the Wodehouse adaptations with him in it; apparently it was enough to know that they exist.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Groke posted:

Just started on this. I hear Stephen Fry's voice in my head whenever Jeeves speaks even though I've never seen any of the Wodehouse adaptations with him in it; apparently it was enough to know that they exist.
I've got a similar problem, automatically hearing the narration in the voice of Hugh Laurie. That show was perfectly cast.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What's neat is if you hear earlier BBC radio recordings of the books the characters sound so much like Fry and Laurie it's hard to remember it's not them. That's just what those characters sound like, canonically.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Has In Cold Blood ever been a BotM?

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also this but he's not wrong

Long and short, half the joke is how silly the jacket makes Bertie look, and the other half of the joke is how obsessive over sartorial perfection Jeeves is.

As multiple people point out, a white mess jacket makes Bertie look like a waiter or a lounge musician. White jackets in formal wear are for staff, not respectable people (at least outside of the tropics. :v:). Not to mention those brass buttons and epaulettes make him look like a marching band leader.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'd recommend The Death of Bunny Munro as BOTM, because I've just read it and I kind of want independent confirmation that what I read was actually what was written and I didn't hallucinate the entire thing.

What an... odd book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

I've got a similar problem, automatically hearing the narration in the voice of Hugh Laurie. That show was perfectly cast.

Yeah.

Can't really consider this a problem, though. Call it a bonus feature.

Am up to where Bertie is being blackmailed by his aunt into handing out prizes at the school and this poo poo is hilarious.

• Locked thread