Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
In mass effect 2, when you start the game, you walk down a hallway for 30 seconds and then there's a 10 minute unskippable cutscene, and then the game starts for real. Runners have agreed to start the game from a loaded save after the cutscene, effectively choosing to not play a part of the game becuase it isn't fun or interesting. They've invented a new game to run that is mass effect 2 but slightly altered.
I see bioshock infinite in a similar vein. There's bioshock infinite, a garbage game that is no fun, and then there's bioshock infinite prime, a cool game for chill people. Nobody is stopping you from running the bad game. The times aren't tracked for it because nobody actually wants to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I want that in the marathon.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

SoftNum posted:

I'm mad he uses SDA/TAS timing not RTA. :colbert:

That doesn't look like either timing to me. It's a weird idiosyncratic method.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

financially racist posted:

apparently billy mitchell is suing apollo legend over his video about mitchell cheating in donkey kong lmfao

I hope they both lose.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Create a new category and call it "bug limit" with slightly different glitches disallowed.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

SeXReX posted:

Loading an in-engine cutscene that takes place in another part of the map so quickly is amazing enough that not keeping track of a cool down timer while maintaining the location and momentum of the box when it gets back to where you are is amazing

I'm pretty sure I've played games where similar events would just flat out reset all physics objects to their default locations

They're prerendered cutscenes.

e: I hope she gets the help she needs for her crippling weed addiction.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 15, 2018

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
He wasn't allowed to run games for one event? The horror.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Crotch Bat posted:

Have you really seen nothing of Twitch in general since the TOS changes?

Idk man the streams I watch haven't changed any. I have heard of some people getting suspended for being racists though so that's nice.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Tfue was suspended for a week after calling another player a coon.

Truly social justice gone mad.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMOIPM7cwCM

what a real shame that this guy got banned

a real pity

a real loss for us all

Crotch Bat posted:

it's sad you seem to draw some conclusion on me thinking GDQ clutches their pearls too tight as "man, I wish I could say friend of the family a lot in Twitch chat, also fag and/or oval office".

This was a strawman when you said it, but now I actually think this about you. Congrats!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Crotch Bat posted:

No, Tfue got a 30 day ban for it and it mysteriously changed to a 7 day ban about 24-48hr later. So you tell me, if this was such clear cut horrid racism, why would they be lowering the ban?

Googling random articles from whatever lovely tech site returns them isn't really a great help to your cause here but keep talking.

Are you saying that calling someone a coon isn't racist?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Crotch Bat posted:

It's racist so why would they go from a 30 day ban to a 7 day ban.

I don't know. I don't work at twitch. What are you trying to say?

e; Are you trying to say that twitch is soft on racism? That's the opposite of what you were trying to argue a second ago.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 6, 2018

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

SeXReX posted:

woah there buddy, 4 is pretty massive imo

Two is too many. If one other person runs my game I will get found out as being bad.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Banning A-presses is A-OK though.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The official documentation is here:
https://github.com/LiveSplit/LiveSplit/blob/master/Documentation/Auto-Splitters.md
In particular, the first step is here

quote:

Testing your Script

You can test your Script by adding the Scriptable Auto Splitter component to your Layout. Right-click on LiveSplit and choose "Edit Layout..." to open the Layout Editor, then click on the Plus-sign and choose "Scriptable Auto Splitter" from the section "Control". You can set the Path of the Script by going into the component settings of the Scriptable Auto Splitter. To get to the settings of the component you can either double click it in the Layout Editor or go into to the Scriptable Auto Splitter Tab of the Layout Settings. Once you've set the Path, the script should automatically load and hopefully work.

and then you can look at examples of scripts here:
https://fatalis.pw/livesplit/asl-list/

You're going to need DebugView if you want to be able to see the output of print statements in your script to help you debug it.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/debugview

if you need help with using cheatengine to find pointers (I think you're saying you've got it already, but just to be certain), here is a short overview of what you're trying to do:
https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/789bu4/how_does_one_go_about_creating_a_load_remover/dosvdb9/

Once you're done, the official documentation also tells you how to add the completed script to livesplit so that everyone can use it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's not just being a trump republican, it's also being deep into r/samandtolki also
https://imgur.com/WSDjlgc

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

First geoguessr and now this. Speedrun.com has gone too far.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I should be able to have a leaderboard for any game, not just "real" "speed" games.

Lots of people are upset that they allow flash games and romhacks. That's very odd to me.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Most speedrun.com moderators are good nice people and it's not like the doom guys are actually powertripping jerks. They just obey the convetional wisdom on what makes a speedrun.com leaderboard. "It's a meme category" could also mean "nobody has actually run this in earnest yet"

In general, people want you to be good at the game and teach you everything they've learned. It's not about winning. It's about discovering the best speedrun. It's hidden inside the game and we all have to work together to get it out. Plus, people dedicate a ton of time to studying the game and they get excited when they have someone who is intered in learning.

Even if they're hyper competitive and are all about havimg the WR, the record means more the more people who are competing at their level.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I have never found a dpad that's better than a keyboard. Turning is faster, and it's just easier to use mutiple fingers on mutiple buttons than it is to have one finger slide around between them.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

also hi i'm doing hosting fopr AGDQ this year so lol

Say hi to Germany for me.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

SeXReX posted:

Don't subtweet me

You wish you ran games that big.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DizzyBum posted:

I like to occasionally browse tasvideos.org and check out their Recommended and Tiered runs, especially the Moons and Stars.

I've probably been looking at that site for over a decade now.

All of my favourite runs end up in vault. Rip a2600 dragster

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Do a run where you beat the video game as quickly as possible. How can they seriously not have a category for that?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Someone should invent a special codec for streaming rom check fail and fez.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Considering they arent taking discord posts as evidence, im not sure what that would do. I wonder if I could get back in then loan my discord account to gdq staff so they could read it themselves. :thinking:

I think its highly likely goose gets banned and grav doesnt in the end.

If you have personally witnessed some of this poo poo, pm coolmatty about it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

fool_of_sound posted:

They can't ban them from the hotel unless they get a restraining order man

They can ban them from the attached convention center where the marathon is being held.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Renegret posted:

is rwhitegoose seriously an incel or are people just making fun of him because he's a dumbass?

He believes he's not getting laid because of a jewish conspiracy.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

McFrugal posted:

If Hitler is the best player in the world at Hamtaro then we need to accept it. We don't have to like it, but we shouldn't hide that fact.

I'm not going to advertise hitler's stream on my leaderboard. There are few things in life that are more important than leaderboards and maybe not supporting hitler is one of them.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
cheese05 exploding over being a Jordan Peterson defender right now.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Lmao could you imagine if they didn't do this.

e: read the comments to get a list of garbage speedrunners

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 30, 2018

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

zelgadis posted:

honestly, I came here for posts about speedrunning, and I get a very politically charged thread. Clearly people who do not agree with you are not welcome. I know not agreeing with you makes you a Nazi(a defunct political party, which no one is a part of, but you can feel good that your 'fighting' Nazis). I guess it would be too much to ask you to tone it down, or make a separate thread. (GDQ drama thread, GDQ community thread).

Where are the PBs. Resets. i mean seriously. look at what you've become

Listen I just have a different opinion about whether we should round up all the gays and put them in camps. It's not reasonable that you should exclude me from your video game party.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Weird that they only deny travel visas to unemployed people if they're from central/south america. What a strange coincidence with no other explanation.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

UraniumAnchor posted:

"Bionic Commando as a series has seven games and four of them are named Bionic Commando." - PJ, in that video

There are 4 games in the Prey series. 2 of them were released, both called Prey, and 2 of them weren't, called Prey and Prey 2. Video games are weird.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 22, 2018

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

site posted:

yeah my connection is crap too so id just be recording stuff, but like i was looking at the boxes for hooking up my ps3 and they were starting at like ~$150 and i cant spare that

You can do sd capture for cheaper. You can also just play the game fast and not record it.

Back in the day, everyone had sd consoles and a vcr, so capture was no problem. You'd just mail the tapes in to sda.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Pringles is a genesis game and therefore won't be part of the hottest speedrun action: the ps1 mystery tournament.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Gilg posted:

The AGDQ schedule says Symphony of the Night is going to be played on a PSTV. How is it different than running it on a PlayStation?

That would make it the psp version. The game is typically run on the xbla version. My guess is that the psp version is closer to ps1 but doesn't have to wait on disc reads, but I really have no idea.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
My lawyer says that I should say that I do have inside information and on the third day, mike uyama will accidentally be seen sneaking out of the room with a canvas bag that has "charity bucks" written on it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Next up, a discussion on whether "next saturday" means this upcoming saturday or next week's saturday

Discord uses "last tuesday" to mean 2 days ago, and I don't know anybody who would do this in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

chiefnewo posted:

A thing I'd like to see on speedrun.com is a page that just lists the most recent records from all the runs. I enjoy using the front page that shows a chunk of recent submissions to find new runs to watch and it would be good to have that for recent records as well.

I mean, wrbot is that.