Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
someone tell me more about how gang tags should be sized. not too get too graphic for the dude-forum, but man if i had Bo he would enter every game dehydrated. look at that mane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/statu...ightmode%3Dtrue

Verlander is quietly having one of the best seasons ever for a modern pitcher. And he is doing all of this while home runs are up like 20% and joe schomes are hitting 35 a season.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

what joe schmose are hitting 35???

Eddie Rosario, Hunter Renfroe, Trey Mancini, Daniel Vogelbach, Kole Calhoun, Max Kepler,Jorge Soler. Either close to or on track for 35 this year. Not mean that in a mean way just a list of guys that arent celebrities, aren't all stars (or just once) and prev haven't had big home run seasons.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

And outside of Kepler (and he has a huge change in launch angle from two years ago) who on that list is surprising??? I guess Calhoun but he hit 26 before and has always been a guy that could knock out 30 if he got it together.

The rest are all guys with big raw power or several 20 homer seasons in the minors and majors. Eddie Rosario hit 27 as a 25 year old, Mancini has always had big power and was expected to be a slugger while his approach has been improving for several years now. Soler was always a guy that if he put it together was going to mash a pile of dingers, Vogelbach was a guy like Luke Voit who crushed dingers in the minors and seemed to just need a chance and maybe he'd put together a couple of big homer years or flame out spectacularly, and Renfroe was roughly on pace for 35 homeruns the last two years if he'd gotten to 650 PAs. He's always had a ton of power but his approach sucked beyond hitting the ball a million miles (which he still basically is).

And half of these guys aren't getting to 35 anyway.

So is your point the juiced ball isn't helping, or that 35 is too high of a watermark to say "this is artificially inflating power numbers"

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rickiep00h posted:

Even then I'm not convinced, to be honest. He has five more home runs compared to last year with about the same number of PAs and similar numbers in general. I can chalk that up to flukey wind patterns no problem. Though doing it in ORACLE PARK is a little suspicious.

You have to recognize the rate in which long time home run records are being demolished this year means the ball is juiced right? Its not all better conditions / more true outcomes / different swing styles.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Instead of mercy rules, add 3 more bullpen slots and 2 more bench position players. Players make more and star pitchers and position players have a lower chance of injury

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Kyle Schwarber was made in a lab when scientists were trying to create the perfect beefy baseball player. Also, his natural aroma is sawdust and freshly-baked bread.

Sounds like he needs to see a doctor for that yeast infection.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

For anyone that had to look it up like I did, the reason this boring diuretic and hypertension drug is banned is because it effectively masks real PEDs in urine tests.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

As someone that has hated the Red Sox for years and years, its great to see Papi healthy and happy, walking around well. Its a blessing he is OK after what happened.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It was super odd that Miley got good randomly anyways and I expected his crash down to earth to be coming soon. Oh no, what will the Astros do with only 4 all star and 2 HOF pitchers.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Intruder posted:

Can you believe the audacity of fans of a sports team to be concerned that their good player is no longer good? What a strange thing to be concerned about

Commone man, I appreciate when we all freaked out when Verlander was not good for a year, but everyone had to expect Miley to come back to earth eventually. He was a career 4.5ish ERA guy and 1.4 WHIP for his career until 2018. He doesn't have a track record of being a good pitcher.

I didn't make effort posts about Ryan Goins when he stopped hitting RISP over his head in that bizarro 2016 or whenever season.

Also you literally have the best hitting team of the modern era, coupled with 2 HOF starting pitchers. You are also still going to have the best starting pitching rotation in the playoffs!

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zoux posted:

I hope the BaseBall Gods see through this false and manipulative humility. GO ASTROS

Well Jays fans?

Only a level 10 dummy like a Sens fan (hahahahaha) would post such a tweet.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pancakes posted:

Alternate take: Can we prove Toronto didn’t cause 9/11? Halladay was on the 2001 Blue Jays and his track record with planes...

This is definitely the first time I've audibly "eeech"d from a pancakes' post.
:drat:

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

alpha_destroy posted:

You know, with the league having teams named Indians and Braves, I can't exactly give the benefit of the doubt to idea the name Maroons refers innocently and only to the color and not, you know, the people.

I can't find anything with either the baseball or the hockey team that would lead me to believe they are referring to anything but the colour. I think its pretty safe to say its about the same as calling a team "The Reds" (which has nothing to do with Russians)

Hand Knit posted:

There's also a track record of one time Blue Jays pitchers flying airplanes into buildings in New York City.

Yeeech. I totally blocked out Lidles shorts stint as a BJ. That has to the make the Blue Jays the team with the most former players that died while operating a plane, right?

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 12, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sab0921 posted:

Larry Walker not even sniffing the HoF is one of the weirder occurrences of the post-steroid era.

https://twitter.com/Rockies/status/1172209726827851777

Walker should 100% be in the hall.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Walker is 100% getting dinged entirely because of Coors Field. And you know what? Good. gently caress Coors Field.

The stat about his away OPS still being better than Griffey Jr, Tony Gwynn , Reggie Jackson and Roberto Clemente means he should 100% be in the hall, Coors be damned. He is 8th all time WAR for an outfielder. Its a loving joke he isn't in.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

uggy posted:

Baseball Ref War? You sure it's not just RF? He's 28th all time on fangraphs. Still should be a HOF but he's not inner circle.

Top 10 fWar is:
babe ruth
barry bonds
willie mays
ty cobb
hank aaron
tris speaker
ted williams
stan musial
mickey mantle
mel ott

trout is 21st

Sorry it's 19th all time of outfielders. I'm not sure how they are qualifying that though. Post integration maybe ? I'm going off that infographic

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mcmagic posted:

The Yankees will probably try to win most of those games....

Do or do not, there is no try.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Who was the dummy that was crying about the Yanks signing Paxton and saying he was a garbage pitcher?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Regardless of whether Polanco is or isn’t benefiting from PEDs, Clevinger continues to seem like a whiny little poo poo.

Even if the PEDs didnt help Polanco much, I can't blame a clean player from being pissed off at a cheater.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zoux posted:

I do not care for his antics, like having Tom Green as a very bad relief pitcher

Joe Biagini is like a bizarro baseball pitcher version of Andy Kauffman. I'd think its reincarnation if I believe that Kauffman actually died.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1173663794934894592

I'll give you closer, but overall pitcher?

Of course he's not as valuable as a starter in terms of innings in a year, but in the post deadball era, is there a better pitcher by ERA or WHIP? In terms of a single guy getting an out, I'd wager Mo was the best I have ever seen or will ever see.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 17, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rickiep00h posted:

I was gonna say there were gonna be some people post-integration being close in both those categories.

Also while Rivera was super effective at his job, he's still #78 on bWAR for pitchers with a lowly 56.3.

Isn't bWAR a compiling stat and therefore he could only be compared to other relievers?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Did Bichette or Vlad Sr do it? Its not crazy to think that in 10 years its possible the Jays will have 3 father and son combos to have hit the cycle.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Like Vlad has hit a triple I saw it with my eyes but his large rear end is only gonna get larger.

Who knows. 5 or 10 years from now he might go on the Bautista diet and be lean and mean.

And even the biggest fatsos in the league get a couple triples every few years. One can dream.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Will Randall Grichuk be the worst 30 home run hitter ever? My gut says no because baseball but thats a pretty empty statline

Theres been so many 30 home run hitters its hard to say but probably no.

Now, Chris Carter was most def the worst 40 home run hitter ever.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Pussy Boss posted:

Kimbrel is 13/15 in save opps

Thats a bullshit stat. His ERA is 6 and his WHIP is 1.5 . Thats release the poo poo pitcher numbers if its some random reliever.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Why fire a dude a week before the season ends

To see if you are satisfied with any of the cheap in-house options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Im late to the convo but I am fine with the juiced ball, but I totally get where these elderly dudes in this thread are coming from about being upset about the equipment being changed for stats/records purposes. Like, if they let the NL use aluminum bats next year, we would think their stats are garbage too.