Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Ok I would like to be the terrible “The Chicago Italian Beef Combo Bloody Mary”. So much for me retiring from mafia I’m very sorry everyone but I love nonsense..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

JOHN CENA posted:

i found the scum.

everyone turbo

Joke phase off to a heady start?

sandnavyguy posted:

500 fine recipes when cooking with firearms! Now with 10%less lead!

None lead with left gun

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

JOHN CENA posted:

##vote geneicgirlname

votefinder posted:

Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (21): b-minus1, Bifauxnen, CapnAndy, DGK2000, GenericGirlName, Hal Incandenza, hambeet, JOHN CENA, Mr. Humalong, Mr. Steak, Power of Pecota, sandnavyguy, Sandwolf, Scientastic, SolusLunes, Space Hamlet, Spoonsy, t a s t e, Tommunist, tpink, yuming

With 21 alive, it's 11 votes to execute. The current deadline is July 25th, 2020 at noon EDT -- that's in about 2 days, 23 hours.

:discourse:

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
What the gently caress happened in this game while I was working.

Why are there so many posts.

Why over 200 posts, you folks are crazy.

Also it’s pronounced VIG, rhymes with BIG.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

JOHN CENA posted:

that post is full serious not half serious. i legitimately believe scum would choose a team to help them win than lose, capnandy and i have notoriously bad reads so its better to leave us in the game where they dont have to worry about us loving up or getting lunched, taste is incredibly divisive and at high risk of getting lunched pretty much any time, humalong not quite as divisive but i think he's prolly a high risk of luncheon.

meanwhile lots of bad players tend to lean towards vocal leaders like pop and yuming, i myself have admitted to being lazy in games and just coasting off of merk and or yumings reads because they're usually on the money as town. ggn i think would also be someone picked because they're at low risk of lunch early on due to a more laid back observant play style, hal for the same reason, he isnt gonna be someone who typically is collecting votes. if i was drafting a team as scum those four are absolutely in my mix

Lmao wtf people constantly want to kill me D1/D2 for my “laid back observant play style”. This whole argument sucks, especially in the context of:

Power of Pecota posted:

I hope nobody really tries to peg how teams were picked seriously, especially after the game that was linked in the discord where gulagdolls picked everybody with names starting with "M"

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
On mobile and I lost a post I loving hate mafia what the gently caress!!!!

the D1 shortened lumpen lists are inherently going to focus on all the post leaders because they post the most and thus have the most “bad”/scummy posts thus making them the scummiest

can someone post the vote count thingie from the forums pretty please, please, I beg

Mr Hitmonlee pushed back on me saying my posting or lack thereof makes me an easy D1 target wrt the “let’s think about how the scums teams would have been chosen”. When they’re back around I’d like them to elaborate. Caveat: I am firmly in the camp of “this avenue of investigation is distracting and not worth having, especially D1”

Thanks for posting not 200 posts this time.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

b-minus1 posted:

That’s what I get for skimming the op.

I still think taste is town

b-minus1 posted:

##vote power of pecota

You also must have skimmed the page where you made this drive by vote. Lol

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

sandnavyguy posted:

Steak we are not at lylo. That is an argument once we get past at least what, D3?

I don’t like this post. And it’s not the survivor part, it’s the “why are you considering the impact of lurkers at lylo? We’re no where near lylo!”

Surely lurkers are a threat that everyone wants handled as early as possible because they get harder and harder to remove later.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Oh wow, I clearly took too long to write that post.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

sandnavyguy posted:

As I’ve said before, there’s a difference between a lurker, and someone who straight up ghosted.

What value is there in either of those scenarios to keeping that player around until it is late enough in the game that we are choosing between disposing of them or someone that we have strong scum cases on?

If we cannot be confident (either due to lack of posting or due to lack of reads on them as town aligned) that that player will be a beneficial member of town at lylo, why is it not valid to discuss removing them before we are in a lylo state?

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

hambeet posted:

Lurker day 1 lunches or vigs are fine. Day 3 not so much. There should be better cases by then.

Scum like to argue against lurker lynches early so that they try for townie cred points by defending them and because town lurkers later on are low hanging fruit for them to veer onto.

dad styles

This is why the “why not wait until the threat of lylo to discuss it!” Combined with “actually lurkers are valid targets imo!” Is so susp to me.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

sandnavyguy posted:

Steak we are not at lylo. That is an argument once we get past at least what, D3?

GenericGirlName posted:

I don’t like this post. And it’s not the survivor part, it’s the “why are you considering the impact of lurkers at lylo? We’re no where near lylo!”

Surely lurkers are a threat that everyone wants handled as early as possible because they get harder and harder to remove later.

GenericGirlName posted:

What value is there in either of those scenarios to keeping that player around until it is late enough in the game that we are choosing between disposing of them or someone that we have strong scum cases on?

If we cannot be confident (either due to lack of posting or due to lack of reads on them as town aligned) that that player will be a beneficial member of town at lylo, why is it not valid to discuss removing them before we are in a lylo state?

Please respond to the actual question I asked you.

sandnavyguy posted:

What was all that Y’all have been saying about go ahead and shoot, it’ll be fine? Cause it looks like I was absolutely right, and y’all are jumping down my throat.

No told you who to shoot. Sorry that your choice of target is resulting in people building cases.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
What’s the actual # of people who explicitly told SNG they had to shoot the gun right this moment or else?

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

sandnavyguy posted:

-snipt for length-

Maybe I’m not explaining my question right. Why did you want to shut down discussion of how a lurker(of any kind of alignment) BEFORE it becomes an imminent problem? Follow up, when would you think it’s appropriate to have that discussion as a whole town?

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Six votes, that’s all the scum. Book ‘em!

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I’m not doubting people DID, I just wonder about the actual #. It feels like a very vocal minority. Although that is neither here nor there in terms of “pressure applied to SNG”

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

hambeet posted:

oh if your point is was there any real pressure? no it was only a handful. but a newer player even one or two votes is 'pressure'.

No, I 100% knew that pressure was real. There was quite a frenzy of posts for a while there. I’m just rambling sorry!

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Really digging the tommu and mr hitmonlee side plot.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I was gonna not say I ship it just in case I looked like a creep but nooooo the one time I don’t take a chance it was actually totally kosher.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

JOHN CENA posted:

if i get a gun and sng is in fact lunched by then or anyone else i strongly suspect of scum, i will shoot the first person to post on that new day

What a novel attempt at stalling discussion

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

sandnavyguy posted:

Ok I’ll play ball.

30% self preservation because no one was discussing anything else for hours, and my flip would help no one, and 70% I straight up thought they were scummy.Originally my concern was that I needed to shoot someone who was more likely to be scum than random chance, and that wouldn’t kneecap the flow of conversation.

The gemming and hawing was because I wanted people to feel like they could post their reads without fear of me randomly shooting.

Bif was on my radar since early D1 because they jumped back and forth fairly quickly on the cases of steak and Sci. I originally chalked it up to being jokephase but they explicitly stated that was going to be their posting style this game.

At this point it’s still just conjecture from basically nothing so I put my suspicions aside and try focusing on any other cases because they were posting a bunch and I don’t want to harm town momentum if they were indeed town.

I don’t post anything overnight, and when I wake up I immediately get bombarded with posts telling me how I’m a coward, on the fence, and my reticence to shoot is classically indicative of scum.

I try, multiple times, to brush it off, even state that I won’t shoot anyone until the thread decides it at the end of day, the most town centric decision i can think of so that people just post freely, and suddenly I get three people voting me in rapid succession for the same inane reason:

So at this point, what else am I supposed to do? Shoot someone, now.

So then I look at the fact that Bif is being so performative at attacking the guy with a gun, AFTER I tell everyone I won’t shoot, and tries to lead an insurrection lunch. I found that performative. And usually performative=scummy. So I shot them. They’ve been a scum read for me since the beginning, they were the vote leader at the time, and i was upset that they were drilling into me more than just “mild” pressure.

And now everyone’s mad I hit town, and a high level poster at that. I’M mad I shot town, I really thought they were scum. But if people had just WAITED like I asked before forcing my hand I could have seen a better argument and voted someone else instead.

Imo I don’t like that ratio you posted. You cite pressure in the form of 3 actual votes against you when it takes 11 to lunch AND a rapid lunch a day and a half before deadline would be way too suspicious to sell after the fact by any one. I think the better option would have been to just walk away from the thread and come back later, then genuinely post any reads you get from the continued dogging. The idea that you had no other options when you had the most power in the situation is foolish.

I’m leaning more and more towards scum who may have been feeling other pressures, namely the rest of their scum team. Especially with the repeated “everyone’s just mad I killed town!!!” When multiple people cited other reasons.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Tommunist posted:

SNG isn't new im p sure?

They said they have played less then 10 days? I can’t find the post and it’s 11pm, I gotta play don’t starve together.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

hambeet posted:

technically you both can't starve together. the last person alive technically wins the protein jackpot.

Me and my roommate work together, either we eat or we die!!!

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
People still consider me new and I’ve played more then 10 games lmao

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
[Off topic]

sandnavyguy posted:

but if you’re worried about getting shot maybe don’t instigate the dude with a vig who already vocally thinks you are scum when everyone is vanilla and all else is equal.

That was a bad play on her part, no matter how town everyone apparently knew she was.

Completely outside the context of mafia this makes me cackle.
[/Off Topic]

Glad to see yuming made it to the party.

I’m on mobile which isn’t making rereading/building cases easy with the number of posts. Going to switch to my computer when I’m done with work.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
(In the middle of a bigger reread/post but saw this and figured I should respond immediately)

sandnavyguy posted:

So before the scum rush lunches me, I may as well bring up some salient points you’ve all collectively forgotten apparently.

For after I flip town maybe take a look at:

GGN: why don’t you hunt lurkers? Lurkers are bad and you should shoot them!! (Proceeds to lurk with a laughably low post count, and joke posts with the exception of one argument against me for looks)

Taste: same as above

B-: like 5 posts?

For people who were so sure lurkers were bad, you sure are letting them slide Scott free. Please fix that so I can still win tia.

I never said to who to shoot or when to shoot.

The entire point of my questions directed at you after the flip was why did you not value discussion of how we plan to deal with lurkers, regardless of what the outcome of that discussion could/would be

At this point I think youre being purposefully obtuse scum instead of flustered town

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Not super part of the long post, but it should be mentioned:

yuming posted:

DGK said scum would want to draft Hal. While I’m against flat voting someone for why they’d be drafted this is the first related comment I’ve agreed with. Hal would be a great pick that a lot of players might make. I wouldn’t vote Hal today, this is just someone I’m saying is going to affect my default set-point for Hal. I think he’s a bit more likely than most players to be scum. Duck duck, grey duck.

An important caveat here is that if scum teams pick the same "very good scum" then that scum is both very good and able to double cross one of the scum teams late game. So its a double moot point imo.

--

ok I went to try and build a case on someone and i keep coming back around to "is this worse the SNG?". At this point l don't understand why they keep misconstruing my posts, and when I repeatedly try to get them to zoom in on what I actually said vs what they think I would say because I "didn't like that they shot who they shot" it takes ages to get them back on track. So my best case here is that theyre doing it on purpose. for example!

GenericGirlName posted:

sandnavyguy posted:

As I’ve said before, there’s a difference between a lurker, and someone who straight up ghosted.

not what I asked. It took 2 more go arounds to even vaguely get the answer I was asking for and still:

GenericGirlName posted:

Maybe I’m not explaining my question right. Why did you want to shut down discussion of how a lurker(of any kind of alignment) BEFORE it becomes an imminent problem? Follow up, when would you think it’s appropriate to have that discussion as a whole town?

sandnavyguy posted:

After we have at least on flip based on votes. Then, we can look at it in terms of “this person is t getting replaced” and also, I haven’t mentioned this yet but uh, there’s a post limit right? They’d be a free mod kill by that point. why waste bullets?

I’m just confused why this isn’t coming across well.

Still no answer to the "why shut it down" and "so when could it be ok to discuss?" Just say "ah, I dont want to have this discussion more then 2 day away from a possible LYLO!" but no it always comes back to "but there's many kinds of lurkers, in this essay I will...."

for something more recent:

sandnavyguy posted:

So before the scum rush lunches me, I may as well bring up some salient points you’ve all collectively forgotten apparently.

For after I flip town maybe take a look at:

GGN: why don’t you hunt lurkers? Lurkers are bad and you should shoot them!! (Proceeds to lurk with a laughably low post count, and joke posts with the exception of one argument against me for looks)

???????????????????????????????????????????

GenericGirlName posted:

(In the middle of a bigger reread/post but saw this and figured I should respond immediately)

I never said to who to shoot or when to shoot.

The entire point of my questions directed at you after the flip was why did you not value discussion of how we plan to deal with lurkers, regardless of what the outcome of that discussion could/would be

At this point I think youre being purposefully obtuse scum instead of flustered town

Literally no response at any point to my direct question, on a page where they engaged with plenty of bullshit.

Why spend all this time responding to me and then just...... lying about what I said while pretending I'm not reading your posts? Just say you skimmed??

vote SNG

I really wanted to believe you were town but the way youre refusing to take this olive branch at all and instead try to cast me like I at any point told you to shoot (I literally never did, feel free to find a post where I did!), is so suspect.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I really don't want to tunnel here but I just loving don't understand

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
[off topic] SIV ! ! ! ! ! HELLO!! SAY HI TO ME!!! [/off topic]

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

hambeet posted:

are the people voting for anyone but steak and me trying to push away from this dichotomy because....?

is that a crazy thought?

question mark?

please stop trying to get people to reread a 4am drunk slapfight. Its so loving horrific to read.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
did we just get a "spontaneous" gaggle of idiots asking for a thunderdome based on a 4am slapfight.

loving please say no.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm going to be honest, I feel like the whole lurker thing is dumb because the OP says "Lurker rules apply - if you don't make ten posts a day after D1, you're on notice. gently caress it up again and you're a free lunch for the rest of the game."

This game's got a built-in mechanic to get free lurker kills, so who gives a poo poo? I think you guys have been picking at each other about a theoretical thing that wouldn't even happen and it reads more like a slapfight because you both rub each other the wrong way than anything based on alignment to me

Fair enough take. I just think in a game w/ 2 night kills possible every night & a vig every day that the issue of "do we let a lurker ride it out for two days or not" is a valid conversation that usually would have been had D1 but somehow got turned into "if you want to discuss it then youre mad about how I will/did use the gun ;___;!!!!!!"

Power of Pecota posted:

Also GGN you forgot the ##s on that vote so it didn't register

fuk (thank you though). I stand by it still but , wow thats embarassing lol

##vote SNG

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Power of Pecota posted:

All good! Like, my whole game in mafia is about being earnest and you read as totally earnest on this stuff even though I read SNG differently.

That being said, how do you feel about Cena taking his ball and going home?

Cena is a jerk but I have been lead to believe that the alignment of his jerk-itude isn’t easy to figure out day 1. I find him scummy but I’m also trying to be less of the “I hate that everyone let’s everyone with these lovely metas get away with everything!!!” So it becomes null(but D2 scummy immediately if it continues).

sandnavyguy posted:

Really? You get mad at me for apparently shutting down a conversation topic that wasn’t actually a concern and decry me as hiding something, but it’s ok to ignore a giant freaking red flag conversation between vote leaders 2 and 3?!

Cmon, try harder.

Lol try harder so you can ignore my posts ok

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

sandnavyguy posted:

I very much think they are scum. The only read they’ve done all D1 is to jump onto the bandwagon of people saying I was not using my vig correctly, that voting out a lurker was the only sane play and to completely disregard my attempts at transparency.

Their vote is opportunistic and they are riding the wave. I absolutely think they are trying to scum railroad me.

I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT HOW YOU USED YOUR VIG.

PLEASE QUOTE WHERE I DID.

You are so insufferable, I’m not moving my vote.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Mr. Humalong posted:

GGN do you have a read on anyone besides SNG? I reread you earlier and all you seem to talk about is the person that’s been vote leader for most of the day.

Honestly I’m having a rough time with trying to parse out obviously “performative” scum hunting in this game because all scum want to scum hunt and want scum to die. So all I can go off of is that I know I’m town, but scum dont even know that. It makes every argument look like a slap fight. All players who want scum dead post the same when they have no information. At worst(best?) D1 will be a good way to see much later in the game if any scum were on both teams I guess, and then maybe scum will hunt scum harder even?

What I’m saying is I’m finding it easy to make null reads of every slapfight/observation that isn’t centered around me, because I know my alignment. But as a result it’s impossible to know if a town just finds me scummy (happens all the time!) or if a scum thinks I’m an easy lunch target (also not surprising). So now all I can go on is “is the person interacting with me behaving like they think I’m a threat to their wincon? Does their logic follow through?”

I don’t feel like SNG has determined me scum based on my posts. I think they saw an easy opening to complain about me without voting me and are doubling down on it casually everytime they’re asked to elaborate because it’s an easy way to on D2 or D3 go “haha actually I’ve been building this case all along!!!!”

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I’ll stop tunneling as soon as you show me where I made a comment about the quality of your vig target being indicative of alignment : )

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Please excuse my tardiness, today has been awful irl.

I’m phone posting as per usual~ so I’ll just do a quick no quote brain dump to make up for lost time since I just caught up. In no particular order:

* someone commented on my tunneling from yesterday- I was pretty genuinely frustrated with the misreading/mischaracterization of my questions. :shrug:

* jc flipping scum doesn’t surprise me, but I felt pretty 50/50 on him yesterday. Normally I don’t like that style of D1 posting but it was generating content, but more content then I’d think scum would want to make on D1 when they could have caused other distractions or just stuck much harder to joke phase idk

* this bullet point is the really obvious “b-minus what was that post????” But I people covered that already while I was writing

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I have finally caught back up.

I can see the argument for Tpink, who I also forgot was in the game.

But I similarly was prepared for Solus to flip scum.

DGK/Hum/Sci all seem like hard working town who are getting really annoyed with all the lurking. This is fair imo. Sorry I haven’t been putting in the efforts.

On to my true post:
Hambeet - you said you felt confident that humma was town, but then you were pushing them (including a vote on them) to shoot the gun. We’ve still got some time before deadline and failing to shoot wouldn’t be a garunteed loss for town- so what was your concern there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Power of Pecota posted:

Absolutely slammed today but I'll be around tomorrow, especially in the afternoon. Currently feeling ##vote GGN > tpink > SNG but not sure where DGK falls on the spectrum. I started looking because the Cena mentions seemed weird, but what's convincing me more is GGN only being able to really go in on a policy/semantics argument about lurkers so far this game - it gives me the sense of scum not wanting to have to sell faking what they believe for a vote or case.

I realize that's not as big of an impact in this game because scum can still legitimately scumhunt for the other scumteam, but you have to filter out what you're thinking in terms of knowing the alignments of your scumbuddies, who you actually want to vote out vs. who you think is on the other scumteam, and other stuff like that. I know that used to trip me up as scum a lot, and I feel like GGN seems to have a similar playstyle in an order vs. chaos way. (I'm not sure how much of that is in mind for me because of Cena's list where he grouped yuming/Hal/myself/GGN together, but it seems like it checks out from what I've seen so far)

DGK - how did the end of D1 and Cena's flip impact how you felt about using the vig D2? Talk me through what your thought process was there

I think the problem with this case is that scum also have to find scum. Scum not being able to sell a case on other scum in this game is just being bad at mafia (which I am, in addition to being bad at :justpost:). Ngl this game is huge and I was hoping for NK information to make it easier to build cases. Instead everyone who’s fired the gun feels townie for doing it as per their own scum reads.

DGK’s posts, especially around the lurker/scum convo feels like frustrated town.

Caveat about frustrated town reads: I could also see an argument for frustrated scum looking very similar to frustrated town. No NKs and town continuing to kill town might be making scum worried about late game with it coming down to scum v scum. On the other hand, if the scum teams are confident maybe that shouldn’t frustrate them at all?

Feels hypocritical to put my vote on someone on the basis of “these low content posts are scummy!” When I’ve probably done worse by just not posting enough.

I should be around on and off, and be 100% present for the hour before deadline