Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welcome goonlings to the Awful Book of the Month!
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM the moderation team. :siren:

Past Books of the Month

[for BOTM before 2019, refer to archives]

2019:
January: Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky
February: BEAR by Marian Engel
March: V. by Thomas Pynchon
April: The Doorbell Rang by Rex Stout
May: Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
June: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann
July: The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach
August: Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds by Charles Mackay
September: Picnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay
October: Her Body and Other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado
November: The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
December: Moby Dick by Herman Melville

2020:
January: The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
February: WE by Yevgeny Zamyatin
March: The Autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini by Benvenuto Cellini
April: The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio
May: Black Lamb and Grey Falcon by Dame Rebecca West
June: The African Queen by C. S. Forester
July: The End of Policing by Alex S. Vitale
August: The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood, of Great Renown in Nottinghamshire, by Howard Pyle
September: Strange Hotel, by Eimear McBride
October:Kwaidan: Stories and Studies of Strange Things (怪談)("Ghost Stories"), by Lafcadio Hearn
November: A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear: The Utopian Plot to Liberate an American Town (And Some Bears) , by Matthew Hongoltz Hetling
December: Ignition!: An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants by John Drury Clark

Current: The Mark of Zorro by Johnston McCulley

Book available here:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/61620

About the book

quote:

The Curse of Capistrano is a 1919 novel by Johnston McCulley and the first work to feature the Californio character Diego Vega, the masked hero also called Zorro (zorro is the Spanish word for fox). It first appeared as a five-part magazine serial. The story was adapted into the silent film The Mark of Zorro in 1920. It appeared in book form in 1924, also using the title The Mark of Zorro.[1]

Before being published in book form, The Curse of Capistrano appeared as five serialized installments in the pulp magazine All-Story Weekly.[2] In 1920, the story was adapted as the silent film The Mark of Zorro starring Douglas Fairbanks as the hero Don Diego Vega. The title was a reference to the hero's habit of marking enemies or surfaces with three sword cuts, forming a letter "Z."

The film met with enormous success, leading to public demand for more Zorro stories. In 1922, McCulley began a new series of over 60 serialized stories in Argosy All-Story Weekly. Many of these stories were later collected and published as The Further Adventures of Zorro, Zorro Rides Again, and The Sign of Zorro.

Taking advantage of the character's rising popularity in film and prose, and not wishing to confuse interested buyers by using the original title, the five-part prose story was then republished as a novel entitled The Mark of Zorro by Grosset & Dunlap in 1924. Since then, each new edition of the book has been published under the same title.[1] Twenty years after the first film adaptation and sixteen years after the book's publication, 20th Century Fox released a new "talkie" version of The Mark of Zorro in 1940 starring Tyrone Power as Don Diego Vega. The film met with high popularity and critical success and was named to the National Film Registry in 2009 by the Library of Congress for being "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant," and to be preserved for all time.[3] The 1940 film has been referenced in numerous Batman comics as the film that hero Bruce Wayne sees on the night his parents are murdered.[4

About the Author

quote:

Born in Ottawa, Illinois, and raised in Chillicothe, Illinois, McCulley started as a police reporter for The Police Gazette. He served as an Army public affairs officer during World War I. An amateur history buff, he went on to a career in pulp magazines and screenplays, often using a Southern California backdrop for his stories.

Many of his novels and stories were written under the pseudonyms Harrington Strong, Raley Brien, George Drayne, Monica Morton, Rowena Raley, Frederic Phelps, Walter Pierson, and John Mack Stone, among others.

Aside from Zorro, McCulley created many other pulp characters, including Black Star, The Spider, The Mongoose, and Thubway Tham. Many of McCulley's characters—The Green Ghost, The Thunderbolt, and The Crimson Clown—were inspirations for the masked heroes that have appeared in popular culture from McCulley's time to the present day.

Pacing

:justpost:

Read as thou wilt is the whole of the law.

Please post after you read!

Please bookmark the thread to encourage discussion.

References and Further Materials

There were several more Zorro novels by McCulley. Those were

The Further Adventures of Zorro (1922)
Zorro Rides Again (1931)
The Sign of Zorro (1941).

He then wrote 53 Zorro short stories between 1944 and 1951, for West magazine.

Apparently there have been over forty Zorro films. Highlights:

The Mark of Zorro (1920 silent starring Douglas Fairbanks), which is on youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbQZZRf3Fsc (this is the movie that little Bruce Wayne and his parents saw the night they died)

The Mark of Zorro (1940 remake with Tyrone Power) (on youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNR0rVytRWo ) (

The Mask of Zorro (1998) and The Legend of Zorro (2005) with Banderas

I'm pretty sure I watched https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zorro_and_Son when it came out when I was a kid, it's the only thing that fits my personal timeline. I remember thinking it was amazing

Suggestions for Future Months

These threads aren't just for discussing the current BOTM; If you have a suggestion for next month's book, please feel free to post it in the thread below also. Generally what we're looking for in a BotM are works that have

1) accessibility -- either easy to read or easy to download a free copy of, ideally both

2) novelty -- something a significant fraction of the forum hasn't already read

3) discussability -- intellectual merit, controversiality, insight -- a book people will be able to talk about.

Final Note:

Thanks, and we hope everyone enjoys the book!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jan 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

References and Further Materials

This blog is similar in tone and references this book a lot:

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/?s=things%20I%20won%27t%20work%20with

This bit has to be left over from Ignition!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Just started this, and am enjoying it a great deal so far! Somehow I've never read or seen any Zorro media at all, so only knowing bits and pieces from cultural osmosis it's cool to go back to where it all started.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I’m about 20% in and my man, Z, has some issues to work out.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Word of warning: if you're listening to the Val Kilmer audiobook "dramatized" version, they change the ending a bit.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I'm not listening to this audiobook. I've made a grave mistake.

My reading of this book is slightly different after learning that this is not, in fact, a translated Mexican novel, but instead written by an American.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I'm not listening to this audiobook. I've made a grave mistake.

My reading of this book is slightly different after learning that this is not, in fact, a translated Mexican novel, but instead written by an American.

Yeah, that's part of why I thought this might be a good BoTM. On the one hand, it's a classic character and the root of a lot of other, later superhero setups; he's Batman twenty years before Batman.

On another, though, it just occupies this weirdly atypical space for American fiction, set in Spanish California, a time and place most American fiction just sort of pretends didn't exist, with an all-hispanic cast, but a white author, going all-in on appropriation.

So I'm really interested to hear takes on it from all angles. it wouldn't surprise me at all if some parts of this are really sketchy on a re-read, but no matter what it should be interesting.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 9, 2021

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I will definitely have some thoughts, hopefully coherent. I'm glad that the author is writing from multiple character perspectives too. Also, the comparison to Batman is spot on!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I will definitely have some thoughts, hopefully coherent. I'm glad that the author is writing from multiple character perspectives too. Also, the comparison to Batman is spot on!

Oh, it's not just a comparison.

quote:

Zorro, Spanish for "fox," was created by Johnston McCulley in 1919. The pulp hero became an immediate success and The Mark of Zorro premiered the following year. Batman creators Bob Kane and Bill Finger admitted to having seen the film and in subsequent interviews cited Zorro as a major influence. The similarities between the Fox and the Bat are obvious. In the film, Zorro sneaks around helping those in need while wearing head-to-toe black. Just like Batman, Zorro operates out of a cave-like cellar under his home, is assisted by his butler Bernardo, and maintains the secret identity of Don Diego de la Vega. Zorro’s history with the Dark Knight would inspire future Batman creators to incorporate The Mark of Zorro into comic book lore.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Hey this is great. A couple years back I read The Scarlet Pimpernel because it also is cited as one of the first secret identity hero stories, but I was a bit disappointed in it (it's more of a romance really with the secret hero stuff being more in the background). I wanted to read The Curse of Capistrano but couldn't find it on Gutenberg and eventually downloaded it from some other site (I think it was a non-US public domain deal), confused why Gutenberg didn't have it. Somehow I missed that it was renamed when it was republished, I thought Mark of Zorro was a sequel. Anyway I never got around to reading it so now I have the push to do so! I loving loved the Banderas movie when I was a kid so I'm looking forward to this.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

This was a lot of fun! A fair bit of queasy "oh yeah this was written by a white guy in 1919" stuff - lots of references to anonymous "natives", both subservient and disloyal - which did manage to take me out of it every time. But that stuff aside, it's exciting, humourous, and has a memorable cast of characters. One thing I wonder is whether Zorro's true identity - the central secret of the novel -was really that much of a shock to audiences at the time? Because (I'm sure like everyone else here) I guessed it pretty much immediately...

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I have thoughts about all of those things that I'll wait until I finish to discuss, but for the last point:

Gertrude Perkins posted:

One thing I wonder is whether Zorro's true identity - the central secret of the novel -was really that much of a shock to audiences at the time? Because (I'm sure like everyone else here) I guessed it pretty much immediately...

I want to know the answer too. I don't know if it was cultural osmosis that I knew immediately, or if it is an inside joke type situation the author is having with the reader.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Gertrude Perkins posted:

One thing I wonder is whether Zorro's true identity - the central secret of the novel -was really that much of a shock to audiences at the time? Because (I'm sure like everyone else here) I guessed it pretty much immediately...

I was just coming here to post this. I think Batman may have spoiled everyone reading Zorro after say 1960, but I'm not sure.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

ulmont posted:

I was just coming here to post this. I think Batman may have spoiled everyone reading Zorro after say 1960, but I'm not sure.

I haven't read this yet but it's probably like the ironic Greek plays where the audience 100% is meant to know something but the story still goes through the motions of a big reveal. The Scarlet Pimpernel was the same way.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
This was an interesting read for sure! Definitely didn't fall as hard into as many -isms as I was afraid it would given how old it was (they're still there, but a lot less in-your-face than other writers at the time that I've read) and the plot is pulpy and fun.

There were a lot of parts where characters just kept reiterating the main story points to each other which was a little tedious, but I'm sure that's just the result of it being published in serial format initially where you'd want those frequent recaps.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
I love old pulp poo poo. Book kicked rear end.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I'm up to Chapter 16 or so, and I must say I kinda love that one of the more modern templates of the dashing suave swashbuckler archetype keeps defaulting to the strategy of "popping out of a coat closet and waving a gun around." I mean, it works, but it clashes slightly with my Antonio Banderas influenced mental image

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

I also love the frequency with which he leaves via the window. I imagine him stumbling over little flowerpots or landing in a trough by the outer wall.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I'm like halfway through and I gotta say I really love how much of a troll Diego is. Batman would own if Bruce Wayne walked around Arkham asking Riddler to see Batman's body. "Maybe it's someone we both know?" loving owned

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gertrude Perkins posted:

I also love the frequency with which he leaves via the window.
Literally came to post this. The whole thing reads like an action flick.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Literally came to post this. The whole thing reads like an action flick.

It has a very Die Hard feel of everyone being competent and badass, but also really loving goofy

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I think I'm gonna have to find and download McCully's sequels.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Asterite34 posted:

It has a very Die Hard feel of everyone being competent and badass, but also really loving goofy

RAMON! BUBBY! I'm your white knight

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
It was refreshing to read a hero that really enjoys what he does, especially when mocking everyone as Don Diego.

I was surprised how Bernardo and slashing the 'Z' barely even appeared in the book, probably because everything I knew about Zorro came from the movies.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

AngusPodgorny posted:

It was refreshing to read a hero that really enjoys what he does, especially when mocking everyone as Don Diego.

I was surprised how Bernardo and slashing the 'Z' barely even appeared in the book, probably because everything I knew about Zorro came from the movies.

Yeah, I'm wondering if "Zorro" the modern character might not owe more to the various adaptations than he does to the original text. Like "Elementary, my dear Watson" and a lot of other Westerns, there's a tendency with these early heroes to develop as they hit the screen.

I'm gonna have to read a lot of Zorro aren't I? Oh no!

There were several more Zorro novels by McCulley. Those were

The Further Adventures of Zorro (1922)
Zorro Rides Again (1931)
The Sign of Zorro (1941).

He then wrote 53 Zorro short stories between 1944 and 1951, for West magazine.

Apparently there have been over forty Zorro films. Highlights:

The Mark of Zorro (1920 silent starring Douglas Fairbanks), which is on youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbQZZRf3Fsc (this is the movie that little Bruce Wayne and his parents saw the night they died)

The Mark of Zorro (1940 remake with Tyrone Power) (on youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNR0rVytRWo ) (

The Mask of Zorro (1998) and The Legend of Zorro (2005) with Banderas

I'm pretty sure I watched https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zorro_and_Son when it came out when I was a kid, it's the only thing that fits my personal timeline. I remember thinking it was amazing

edit:

I love this shot from the 1920 film:

You see! In the mirror of my steel!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 15, 2021

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I was just searching on Amazon for the other novels and I'm surprised there really isn't anything. The second is in the public domain but the others aren't, so I was expecting a collection of all of them for like $10 or so but it's basically just Curse of Capistrano on Kindle, I think I saw one entry for the second book and none for the others. Wonder if it's a situation where nobody is really managing McCulley's estate so rereleases aren't really happening.

Zorro is definitely more famous from the movies than books but it's still wild nobody seems to be putting effort into selling original Zorro stories. I've read through two of the three Robert Howard Conan collections and they're very nice - lots of details like original publication dates, early drafts, letters of Howard's, etc. Maybe I'm underestimating Zorro's cultural relevance but the stark difference seems crazy to me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah I was just doing the same search.. There is a hardback "Zorro: the complete pulp adventures" set that came out a few years ago, looks like. But it's five volumes @ $20 per, and no ebook editions.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I managed to find the second book, "The Further Adventures of Zorro". Zorro vs. PIRATES on the high seas! Captain Ramond returns as the scheming villain!

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
For movies, Disney+ has The Sign of Zorro from 1960.

I could use more Zorro books though because I love old pulp stories.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
"Zorro Rides Again" -- someone in a mask is saying they are Zorro and doing Evil Deeds! Our hero's reputation is at stake!

Also many secret tunnels and / or caves

These are all really more novellas than novels.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Not far in, loving the italicized exotic Spanish words like “patio” sprinkled about. No, seriously, it never occurred to me that that was a new word to English in the 20th century, and even new in Spanish in the 19th (yeah looked it up, prior to about 200 years ago, outdoor furniture was just furniture).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I bought a copy of Mark of Zorro off of Amazon and had it delivered yesterday. I burned through it last night, what a quick, snappy read. After having watched the first third or so of the 1920s film, where the reveal is basically immediate, I was a bit surprised to see how long the reveal was held in the book. I don't know how I would have reacted to it reading it as a young man in 1919, I assume it would have been a bit bigger of a reveal without a century of superhero / secret identity stories.

The way Diego acted with Lolita was a bit bizarre, that was maybe the only part that rung false to me. His constant "checks" as Zorro to see if she would go back to Diego didn't really lead anywhere, I think they were mostly there to try to string out the mystery a bit more. It was nice that Lolita actually had a chance to act heroically in the scene at the Friar's, even if it was pretty standard damsel in distress stuff through the rest of the book.

Humerus posted:

I'm like halfway through and I gotta say I really love how much of a troll Diego is. Batman would own if Bruce Wayne walked around Arkham asking Riddler to see Batman's body. "Maybe it's someone we both know?" loving owned

Super agreed with this. I love how much of a dick Diego is. The two page wrapup with everyone including the Sergeant being like "ahhhh, you got me" was weird, but it works in that it's totally how Diego, the consumate troll, would act.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah I was just doing the same search.. There is a hardback "Zorro: the complete pulp adventures" set that came out a few years ago, looks like. But it's five volumes @ $20 per, and no ebook editions.

The company that did the complete pulp set has a handful of ebooks in their "Tales of Zorro's Old California" series. Looks like 3 of the McCulley stories.

Flat rate shipping to Canada seems to only be 5$, which is super low, so I may end up picking up some of the complete pulp series.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
It's that time. noms for next month needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

A genre isn’t specified, so I’ll go with non-fiction I’ve read that’s as fantastic as an fiction:

Batavia’s Graveyard: The True Story of the Mad Heretic Who Led History’s Bloodiest Mutiny by Mike Dash, about an ill-fated Dutch East India expedition. The subtitle pretty much explains the book on its own, but it’s sort of like Endurance (itself a good book about Shackleford’s arctic expedition) but with a lot of treason and murder. It doesn't have an introduction like the other's, so I'll lift part of the Amazon description:

quote:

With the help of a few disgruntled sailors, Jeronimus soon sparked a mutiny that seemed certain to succeed—but for one unplanned event: In the dark morning hours of June 3, the Batavia smashed through a coral reef and ran aground on a small chain of islands near Australia. The commander of the ship and the skipper evaded the mutineers by escaping in a tiny lifeboat and setting a course for Java—some 1,800 miles north—to summon help. Nearly all of the passengers survived the wreck and found themselves trapped on a bleak coral island without water, food, or shelter. Leaderless, unarmed, and unaware of Jeronimus’s treachery, they were at the mercy of the mutineers.

John Hawkwood: An English Mercenary in Fourteenth Century Italy by William Caffero. Some introduction:

quote:

John Hawkwood indeed lived by war, and no one was more successful at it. From modest roots in England, he rose to become the premier mercenary captain of his day, achieving fame on the battlefields of Italy, where he served for more than thirty years of his career. “He managed his affairs so well,” Sacchetti wrote in a postscript to the above novella, “that there was little peace in Italy in his times.”

The Poison King by Adrienne Mayor, about Mithradates. Some of the introduction again:

quote:

Long ago and far away, in a little kingdom by the sea, a dazzling comet in the East foretold the birth of a remarkable Prince who would dare to make war on the mightiest empire. As an infant in his cradle, he was marked for greatness by lightning. While he was still a boy, enemies in the castle poisoned his father, the King. His own mother, the Queen, tried to do away with the Prince. But he escaped and lived like Robin Hood in the wilderness for seven years. He grew strong and brave and learned the secrets of poisons and antidotes.

And a book that I’m not sure what it counts as, because it was intended as non-fiction but wrong, the Malleus Maleficarum by Heinrich Kramer and James Sprenger, the handbook for witch hunts. From the introduction to the version I have:

quote:

The Malleus Maleficarum (Latin for "The Hammer of Witches", or "Hexenhammer" in German) is one of the most famous medieval treatises on witches. It was written in 1486 by Heinrich Kramer and Jacob Sprenger, and was first published in Germany in 1487. Its main purpose was to challenge all arguments against the existence of witchcraft and to instruct magistrates on how to identify, interrogate and convict witches.

I don't think any of these have come up before. Of course none of these do me any good as I've read them, but I can't very well recommend something I haven't read.