Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
they almost won the world cup but didn't. they were the underdogs that were too far below the overdog to outdog them

morocco vs croatia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
More like turd place

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
lineups

the last time we'll see Modric in checkerboard?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

i hope the winner gets bronze medals at least

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I dunno what they get tbh. A chunk of money for the association, definitely, maybe a small trophy and medals?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I like watching games of soccer so I will watch this game of soccer

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

goatface posted:

I dunno what they get tbh. A chunk of money for the association, definitely, maybe a small trophy and medals?

The winner gets an extra $2 million over the 4th place team

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

1 team gets a bronze trophy. 1 team gets a participation ribbon. Stakes are high.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

c'mon Maroc

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Referee: Abdulrahman AL-JASSIM (QAT)
AR1: Taleb Al-Marri (QAT)
AR2: Saoud Almaqaleh (QAT)
Fourth Official: Raphael Claus (BRA)
Fifth Official: Neuza Back (BRA)
VAR: Julio Bascunan (CHI)
AVAR (1): Pol van Boekel (NED)
Offside AVAR (2): Bruno Pires (BRA)
Support AVAR (3): Armando Villarreal (USA)
Stand-by Offside AVAR (4): Bruno Boschilia (BRA)
Stand-by VAR (5): Nicolas Gallo (COL)

When Al-Jassim survived the first round of cuts, it seemed apparent that it was going to be a two horse race between him and Stephanie Frappart for the third place match - why else would you keep him? He was not strong in his single game at the World Cup and, while you could keep him around for 4th official duties, you already have Mohammed (UAE) for that if you just care about the optics of "Need an AFC referee". Then at the second cut Frappart went home and that made this a mortal lock of a pick. If there were ever any doubts that the referee appointment to this match is largely political, this will dispel that.

FIFA have tried everything they can with this guy since 2015 to get him ready for this tournament. They sent him to the 2015 U17 World Cup, where he did two group matches and then the third place. He went to the 2017 U20 World Cup, where he got a group stage and R16 match. He did the Club World Cup final in 2020 between Liverpool and Flamingo. The confederations did their part, too: he worked four games at the 2019 Asian Cup (2 Group, 1 R16, 1QF), and CONCACAF even invited him to see the glory that is CONCACAF (2 group, 1 semifinal).

All of that effort to say: the 35 year old is not very good. I would say "This will be the last time any of us probably ever see him", but with the expansion of the World Cup next cycle, I find it hard to believe he won't be invited back. That is doubly true when Al Raesi is Collina's 2nd in Command on the referee committee. If I were a betting man, I would expect to see him in the USA to do a single group stage match in 3 1/2 years.

At this world cup, he had a single world cup, USA v Wales. I don't believe he got any major decisions wrong in the match but it looked, to me, that he was in over his head. A lot of small misses that led to the temperature of the match rising and then he let the USA dissent go more or less unchecked. The USA did not believe he had any real authority, and if the USA feels that way, it's hard to imagine a bigger country being willing to get in line. His fitness is good, he just doesn't have the personality necessary for an international referee at this level. A FIFA referee once told me (and has probably told a lot of other people, tbf) "there are a lot of people around who can blow the whistle and point a direction and be right the majority of the time - to get to the top you have to be able to produce a show" and that just does not describe Al-Jassim.

In the VAR room, they probably were originally considering pairing him with his compatriot Al Marri until he had two disasters back to back: he sent down the handball in Portugal Uruguay and then advised, after play had restarted, that the goal in France Tunisia needed to be disallowed. So he went home. As far as I can tell, Bascunan has only had a couple of main VAR assignments and has not had to send anything down so it looks like the 4th and VAR are thank you appointments for CONMEBOL.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
Gotta score those own goals

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

that would have been embarrassing

eravulgaris
Jul 7, 2012

Wow

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Heck of a start

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

More balls destroyed!

eravulgaris
Jul 7, 2012

Morocco seems... tired / unfocused? Too early to tell probably but something feels off?
edit: lol there you have it

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wow.

Croatia making attacking plays. Bit late.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

oof. rip Maroc

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
rip Maroc

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
Gvardiol good?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

That's a wild free kick routine

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
That was nifty

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
The Batman

poty
Jun 21, 2008

the rare double header

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

goals goals goals

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Third place games.

eravulgaris
Jul 7, 2012

HAHAHAH

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
lmao this game owns already

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
I'm getting all my pots and pans out the cupboard

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

whoa. game good

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
ripping start

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Le Marocman

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

two bad defenses

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

i'm on a train! getting to the bar! happy that canada still have the quickest goal :-p

Kangra
May 7, 2012

That'll teach me to wake up 8 minutes late.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

we got a game here!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
hell yeah

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Best match of the World Cup already

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Please let them keep scoring goals at this rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

i had totally forgotten that morocco and croatia played in the same group stage group

belgium and canada were the victims