Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Lakers will win their 1st round matchup against the Grizz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

maruhkati posted:

Part of it is that KAT actually wasn't particularly bad on defense last year. They moved him out of drop coverage and had him playing a high wall, which particularly worked for the more aggressive ballhawking scheme they ran.

The thing they needed was a point guard. They realized this WAY too late and had to settle for Conley.

Even despite all that's happening, though, I'm predicting the Lakers blow this play-in game in hilarious fashion.

I expect the Lakers to win, but their perimeter defense has been pretty bad the last few games. I dont know if it just Last-Day-of-School-Itis or injuries or what, but they've been giving up a lot of easy layups and drives recently. Its probably made worse by how small they are the moment AD sits since Wenyen has a rough time when he cant be used as an energy switcher and has to actually try to defend the paint

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Ammanas posted:

why would the mavs need him to? does he have a no trade clause we don't know about?

Detroit would be unlikely to trade Cade and Scoot for a 1 year rental of Luka

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Sounds like the imminent RSN collapse has them spooked

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Josh hart has the heart of a poster

He's no Kyle Kuzma

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

NickRoweFillea posted:

The only good thing about the Lakers is Rick. Go Grizzlies!

:(

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Hopefully it's just a sprain and luckily for him this series has a shitload of days off early on

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/DrewHill_DM/status/1647726897894227968

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1647727722603466752

:/

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Make the restricted area larger and make the paint smaller to match the new size

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

morestuff posted:

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1648342831843426304?s=20

Teams really really want those medical reports, huh

I wonder how this is gonna work out for all of European players that normally go below the radar

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Lockback posted:

What happens if you're injured? Do you still have to go and just limp around?

"John McNoACLs, you're up"
"Ok, thats a standing vertical jump of 0 inches"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Oh god, I just saw a horrifying stat:

Mike Brown now has the second most post-season wins (2) in the history of the Sacramento Kings :stonklol:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

WhyteRyce posted:

It's wild seeing the NBA talking head media go from "the Kings can't handle the physicality of the playoffs this is an easy out" to "woah can you believe how much grabbing and pulling the Kings are doing how are the refs letting this happen?!"

It confirms my priors that no one watched the Kings this year

Including myself

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

When the Lakers first traded for AD, they decided they were going to play him with a center 80% of the time; they did this because they didn't think AD could consistently produce on offense if he also had to play center minutes. The lineups were successful, but the lineups without a center were VERY successful. So the podcastegencia started saying that the Lakers should ONLY play these center minutes. And they kept saying it and saying it until trickled down so much that you had local beat reporters asking questions about AD at center minutes and local newspapers writing about it and the Lakers listened and now it's pretty rare for AD to play minutes at PF. And yeah he's caring the defense but you can tell all the load is starting to get to him on offense.

Lol now the podcasters are starting to say "hmm maybe the Lakers should be playing AD with a center." Ah well.

I'm still so pissed at Magic for not resigning Brook Lopez when LeBron came to town

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I was bored and decided to go look back at old draft threads and it was hilarious seeing the late groundswell of opinion that Giannis was going to be a disaster for whoever took him

God drat, I had forgotten what a shitshow the top of the draft was and the live cam of sad Nerlens Noel

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
To be honest, I think every title winner ends up playing a team with a major injury at some point

When the Bucks won in 21, Trae Young missed half of the ECF and Kyrie and Harden were both badly injured for much of the series

Injuries and just kinda the nature of things

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

xbilkis posted:

The Lakers somehow being allowed to assemble a legitimate basketball team from scraps at the deadline is one of those things that I initially brushed off as an overblown sports media angle, but it's increasingly apparent that it was a genuinely huge and insane inflection point in this season that should be discussed more if anything

We got 3 versatile role players for a guy who didn't fit at all (even if he is making it work better for the Clips) AND another reliable wing in Rui. Plus we ditched 3 guards who were clogging the rotation in Westbrook, Bev, and Nunn

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Ghost Dog posted:

yeah i dont really have faith in ham to be able to figure out a new rotation on the fly and he abandoned Mo so quickly he basically got zero reps in with the team, but they for sure want to play an actual 2nd center somewhere in the rotation at least some # of minutes. it would make the lebron/rui/all shooters lineups easier to defend but they arent really setting the world on fire anyway and they give up infinite layups and 3s

The one thing Mo can do consistently is bomba 3s, so he'll probably help the spacing

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I think Adam Silver might die from cumming too much if the finals ends up being Lakers/Knicks

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

One criticism of Steph I've been seeing a lot recently that I don't get is nepotism charges. Like, some player or coach's marginal kid might get a shot in the league due to their name, but it's not like Steph (or Klay for that matter ) is Austin Rivers (or Damion Lee). Did he have more advantages in training/resources than Jimmy Butler? Absolutely, but they don't hand out MVPs and All-Star selections based on your father's name.

He's living proof that life is just unfair.

Bronny is gonna get drafted 30 spots too high for this reason

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Stevie Lee posted:

we need more NBA on broadcast TV. the next TV contract is gonna be nuts if NBC gets in the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-uSWAJd9GE

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

i am a moron posted:

Timmy D’s giant gently caress you 3 against the SSOL suns in the WCF might’ve been the most exciting shot I’ve ever seen. He was also awesome to watch imo

I remember watching that game in Phoenix with all of my Suns fans cousins, and my dad and I were the only ones to cheer when he hit that shot

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Bismack Billabongo posted:

How is it that this mother fucker falls on his back and gets a bruise and suddenly can’t do anything right but the time he blows out his knee before the finals he magically gets healed after a chilled Lambrusco bath and goes 100% on free throws. Up yours giannis.

To be fair, I slipped in the bathroom and fell right on my tailbone, so I can definitely appreciate the whole not being able to move well thing

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

OzFactor posted:

edit: yeah

:smith:

gently caress man :smith:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Kyrie S+T for Gobert

who

says

no

Luka

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Also, the 06 Lakers/Suns series defined so much of my fanhood for years, so it's great to finally pull off that 2/7 upset after going up 3-1

gently caress Tim Thomas, that three was bullshit

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/RajChipalu/status/1652328206983385089

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Next you're gonna tell me he used to be a choir ainger

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
So this will be the first time the Lakers and Warriors will face eachother in the playoffs since 1991

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

And this is why you dont poke bears, especially as a member of a bear themed team

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

fart simpson posted:

mj is coming back out of retirement and is gonna smash the vorp record. whatever that is

Unfortunately for him, it's doesn't stand for Value over Retired Players

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Spitfires posted:

he'll play with a concussion if that's what you mean. that looked really really bad

Maybe it'll fix his 3 point shooting

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

No, they absolutely do not. i just hate the look of it. The Warriors ball movement was so nice today dammit.

I personally thought the Warriors ball movement was the ugliest thing I've seen in a while

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

For comparison when the best defender on Earth isn't in the right position to blow it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIaKhOhBnnE

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

de curry GOAT posted:

Games played matter… for Booker, not Curry

Or Lillard too

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Spacebump posted:

Full voting info here.
https://pr.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/46/2023/05/2022-23-Kia-All-NBA-Team-Voting-Results.pdf

edit: Why are people mad about Curry in over Booker? Curry had a better season.

I am a little shocked Booker only received 10 votes.

I'm still annoyed about Sabonis over Anthony Davis, especially since we saw voters didn't care about playing mid 50s games

Also, really weird that AD was listed as a Forward for all-Defensive team, but a Center for All-NBA

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

The Maestro posted:

So you would keep Randle and bump Sabonis for AD? Interesting

AD played maybe 5 minutes at PF all season

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Jordan Poole, Draymond Green and Kuminga for Chris Paul and Deandre Ayton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Nystral posted:

I forgot that’s where Bamba went. How’s Mo playing for the Lakers?

He was decent and then he sprained his ankle and has been hobbled since. Supposedly, he's expected to be healthy for the WCF, but that means he'll get maybe 5-10 minutes a game