Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welcome goonlings to the Awful Book of the Month!
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM the moderation team. :siren:

Past Books of the Month

[for BOTM before 2019, refer to archives]

2019:
January: Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky
February: BEAR by Marian Engel
March: V. by Thomas Pynchon
April: The Doorbell Rang by Rex Stout
May: Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
June: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann
July: The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach
August: Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds by Charles Mackay
September: Picnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay
October: Her Body and Other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado
November: The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
December: Moby Dick by Herman Melville

2020:
January: The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
February: WE by Yevgeny Zamyatin
March: The Autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini by Benvenuto Cellini
April: The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio
May: Black Lamb and Grey Falcon by Dame Rebecca West
June: The African Queen by C. S. Forester
July: The End of Policing by Alex S. Vitale
August: The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood, of Great Renown in Nottinghamshire, by Howard Pyle
September: Strange Hotel, by Eimear McBride
October:Kwaidan: Stories and Studies of Strange Things (怪談)("Ghost Stories"), by Lafcadio Hearn
November: A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear: The Utopian Plot to Liberate an American Town (And Some Bears) , by Matthew Hongoltz Hetling
December: Ignition!: An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants by John Drury Clark

2021:

January: The Mark of Zorro by Johnston McCulley
February: How to Read Donald Duck by Ariel Dorfman and Armand Mattelart
March: Carrier Wave by Robert Brockway
April: The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brian
May: You Can't Win by Jack Black
June:Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

Current:

Can Such Things Be by Ambrose Bierce

Book available here:

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4366

Audiobook: https://archive.org/details/can_such_things_be_1205_librivox

https://archive.org/details/cansuchthings00bierrich

http://www.ambrosebierce.org/cansuchthingsbe.htm

About the book

Oddly, there's very little out there on the internet about this book; it's readily available but it isn't much discussed, apart from general references and the frequent notation that it was an inspiration for Lovecraft and Robert W. Chambers.

Let's dive in and see if it's any good.

About the Author

quote:

Ambrose Gwinnett Bierce (June 24, 1842[2] – circa 1914[3]) was an American short story writer, journalist, poet, and Civil War veteran. His book The Devil's Dictionary was named as one of "The 100 Greatest Masterpieces of American Literature" by the American Revolution Bicentennial Administration.[4] His story "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" has been described as "one of the most famous and frequently anthologized stories in American literature";[5] and his book Tales of Soldiers and Civilians (also published as In the Midst of Life) was named by the Grolier Club as one of the 100 most influential American books printed before 1900.[6]

A prolific and versatile writer, Bierce was regarded as one of the most influential journalists in the United States,[7][8] and as a pioneering writer of realist fiction.[9] For his horror writing, Michael Dirda ranked him alongside Edgar Allan Poe and H. P. Lovecraft.[10] S. T. Joshi speculates that he may well be the greatest satirist America has ever produced, and in this regard can take his place with such figures as Juvenal, Swift, and Voltaire.[11] His war stories influenced Stephen Crane, Ernest Hemingway, and others,[12] and he was considered an influential and feared literary critic.[13] In recent decades Bierce has gained wider respect as a fabulist and for his poetry.[14][15]

In 1913, Bierce told reporters that he was travelling to Mexico to gain first-hand experience of the Mexican Revolution.[16] He disappeared and was never seen again.

Pacing

:justpost:

Read as thou wilt is the whole of the law.

Please post after you read!

Please bookmark the thread to encourage discussion.

References and Further Materials

Lovecraft, Chambers, Bierce.

Suggestions for Future Months

These threads aren't just for discussing the current BOTM; If you have a suggestion for next month's book, please feel free to post it in the thread below also. Generally what we're looking for in a BotM are works that have

1) accessibility -- either easy to read or easy to download a free copy of, ideally both

2) novelty -- something a significant fraction of the forum hasn't already read

3) discussability -- intellectual merit, controversiality, insight -- a book people will be able to talk about.

Final Note:

Thanks, and we hope everyone enjoys the book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I'm all in on short stories and this poo poo is great. Just got done reading Halpin Frayser. What's the policies on spoilers? Id assume they're fine but I'll spoiler for now to be safe.

What do we think killed Mr. Fraser? Do we take him at his 'words and accept its the lich of his mother? Do we assume the other named killer is the one who did it and Frayser just imagined it?

Two more out there interpretations I read on Wikipedia was that it was he who killed his own mother? Thus, he was the killer that we being hunted. Perhaps the wildest take I saw was that Jaralson is the killer and the father? I guess this can be supported by him knowing the poet and also having supposedly already encountered the killer previously?

I'm always a fan of taking monsters literally when possible, but a lot of people don't dig that.

Have we ever done a Bradbury short story collection? We might want to hold it up to a further future month, but they're always good fun. Though I don't know if his stuff can be gotten for free, really.

Bierce gets in at a nice ground level for horror. In truth, a number of his spooky stories don't really hold a candle to the horror stories to come. Even a lot of his predecessors outdo him on actual tension, scariness. Something like "The Damned Thing" feels so quaint now, but I could imagine it was a bit more exciting of the time.

Zurtilik fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 6, 2021

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd agree with "quaint" being a pretty good description.

Anyhow, it's intersting to see that this seems to be the origin for Carcosa and Hastur, two things that eventually show up in Lovecraft and his many, many literary descendants.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'll be honest, I'm having a hard time getting into this one.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Ok, getting further in, the first story was ehhhh but the next few are better crafted.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I'd agree with "quaint" being a pretty good description.

Anyhow, it's intersting to see that this seems to be the origin for Carcosa and Hastur, two things that eventually show up in Lovecraft and his many, many literary descendants.

The Annotated H.P. Lovecraft by S. T. Joshi is really good for this. Sometimes half the page is a breakdown of previous works and what ideas he took from them, and quotes from Lovecraft's letters discussing why he took them.

Later writers depict his themes/writing as being as inexplicable and alien as his creatures, but, like them, he has a mundane provenance that only seems bizarre through unfamiliarity.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, getting further in, the first story was ehhhh but the next few are better crafted.

Yeah the first one started slowly and I was a little confused, even at the end, at how everything tied back together. The subsequent stories have much better pace to them.

Started late, as is my want, and am 20% of the way in so far. The three different perspectives on a murder was well done

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Night Doings at "Dead Man's" was real good

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Three quarters through this now and I am really liking it. There is something about old time horror that hits me in the right spot. Arthur Machen gives me a similar vibe, although it's also very British

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
So many fantastic stories in this collection. "A Tough Tussle," "Moxon's Master," etc. If I remember correctly "The Moonlit Road" might have inspired the Japanese novel that Akira Kurosawa later adapted into Rashomon because you have multiple perspectives on a murder, including the perspective of the murder victim by way of a medium.

Bierce is one of my favorite American authors and I'd encourage anyone who likes this collection to check out his Civil War writing, autobiographical or fictional.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I read Owl Creek Bridge in high school so I was pretty excited for this BotM. He's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Just finished it. Good choice all