Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM the moderation team. :siren:

Past Books of the Month

[for BOTM before 2019, refer to archives]

2019:
January: Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky
February: BEAR by Marian Engel
March: V. by Thomas Pynchon
April: The Doorbell Rang by Rex Stout
May: Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
June: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann
July: The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach
August: Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds by Charles Mackay
September: Picnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay
October: Her Body and Other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado
November: The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
December: Moby Dick by Herman Melville

2020:
January: The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
February: WE by Yevgeny Zamyatin
March: The Autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini by Benvenuto Cellini
April: The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio
May: Black Lamb and Grey Falcon by Dame Rebecca West
June: The African Queen by C. S. Forester
July: The End of Policing by Alex S. Vitale
August: The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood, of Great Renown in Nottinghamshire, by Howard Pyle
September: Strange Hotel, by Eimear McBride
October:Kwaidan: Stories and Studies of Strange Things (怪談)("Ghost Stories"), by Lafcadio Hearn
November: A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear: The Utopian Plot to Liberate an American Town (And Some Bears) , by Matthew Hongoltz Hetling
December: Ignition!: An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants by John Drury Clark

2021:

January: The Mark of Zorro by Johnston McCulley
February: How to Read Donald Duck by Ariel Dorfman and Armand Mattelart
March: Carrier Wave by Robert Brockway
April: The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brian
May: You Can't Win by Jack Black
June:Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
July:Can Such Things Be by Ambrose Bierce
August: Swann's Way by Marcel Proust
September:A Dreamer's Tales by Edward John Moreton Drax Plunkett, 18th Baron of Dunsany
October:We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
November:Strong Poison by Dorothy Sayers
December:Hogfather by Terry Pratchett

2022:

January: The Sun Also Rises by Earnest Hemingway
February: Les Contes Drolatiques by Honore de Balzac
March: Depeche Mode by Serhiy Zhadan

Current:

Kalpa Imperial by Angélica Gorodischer (Trans. Le Guin)

Book available here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LIYZ9S/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
https://www.indiebound.org/book/9781931520058
[edit] didn't realize z-library was piracy[edit]

quote:

Prix Imaginales winner

Emperors, empresses, storytellers, thieves . . . and the Natural History of Ferrets

Kalpa Imperial is the first of Argentinean writer Angélica Gorodischer’s many award-winning books to be translated into English. In eleven chapters, Kalpa Imperial’s multiple storytellers relate the story of a fabled nameless empire which has risen and fallen innumerable times. Fairy tales, oral histories and political commentaries are all woven tapestry-style into Kalpa Imperial: beggars become emperors, democracies become dictatorships, and history becomes legends and stories.

But Kalpa Imperial is much more than a simple political allegory or fable. It is also a celebration of the power of storytelling. Gorodischer and acclaimed writer Ursula K. Le Guin, who has translated Kalpa Imperial, are a well-matched, sly and delightful team of magician-storytellers. Rarely have author and translator been such an effortless pairing. Kalpa Imperial is a powerful introduction to the writing of Angélica Gorodischer, a novel which will enthrall readers already familiar with the worlds of Ursula K. Le Guin.

quote:

“The history of an imaginary empire in a series of tales that adopt the voice of a marketplace storyteller. . . . While the point of each tale eludes paraphrase, the cumulative burden is the imperfectibility of human society . . . Le Guin’s translation, which ranges from blunt to elegant to oracular, seems like the ideal medium for this grim if inescapable message.”
— New York Times Book Review

“A novel that evokes weighty matters lightly and speaks of self-evident wisdom while itself remaining mysterious.”
— Washington Post

* “This Scheherazade-like collection of linked tales, loosely connected by a storyteller, form the rich history of an imaginary civilization from its hunter-gatherer origins to its peak as a technologically sophisticated empire. Each story is concerned with the use and abuse of power, especially the inequities of power between men and women, the rich and the poor, and the state and the individual. Never heavy-handed, the stories flow like fables and gradually show the futility of seeking power and trying to rule others. The dreamy, ancient voice is not unlike Le Guin’s, and this collection should appeal to her fans as well as to those of literary fantasy and Latin American fiction.”

About the author

quote:

Gorodischer was born in Buenos Aires on 28 July 1928.[3] She lived in Rosario from the age of eight, and this city appeared very frequently in her work. In 2007 the city council of Rosario awarded her the title of Illustrious Citizen.[4]

In the English-speaking world Gorodischer might be best known for Kalpa Imperial (In Argentina volume 1 appeared in 1983 and both volumes by 1984). Its English translation came in 2003 by United States speculative fiction author Ursula K. Le Guin. A collection of short stories, it details the history of a vast imaginary empire through tales of fantasy, fable, and allegory. It does this in a way that gained many admirers who deem it to be one of the finest genre works of Argentina. It also gained supporters in the English-speaking world. A part of the work appeared as a story in the American anthology Starlight 2. [5]

She also produced many works before Kalpa Imperial including the collections Opus dos [Opus two, 1967], Bajo las jubeas en flor [Under the Flowering Jubeas, 1973], and Casta Luna Electrónica [Chaste Electric Moon, 1977]. She was a science fiction author noted for her work about the differences of power among men and women. She focused on the pros and cons of people in power and wrote about corrupt rulers.

Gorodischer was author of two novels within the genre of detective fiction. Her detective persona is a female grand dame who reluctantly and haphazardly engages in the world of international intrigue. She made her literary debut in 1985 in Gorodischer's short fictional tale or noveleta entitled Floreros de alabastro, alfombras de Bokhara, reappearing later in different form in Jugo de mango (1988).[6]

Pacing

:justpost:

Read as thou wilt is the whole of the law.

Please post after you read!

Please bookmark the thread to encourage discussion.

References and Further Materials

https://www.tor.com/2014/06/04/entanglement-angelica-gorodischers-kalpa-imperial/

https://smallbeerpress.com/tag/angelica-gorodischer/

Suggestions for Future Months

These threads aren't just for discussing the current BOTM; If you have a suggestion for next month's book, please feel free to post it in the thread below also. Generally what we're looking for in a BotM are works that have

1) accessibility -- either easy to read or easy to download a free copy of, ideally both

2) novelty -- something a significant fraction of the forum hasn't already read

3) discussability -- intellectual merit, controversiality, insight -- a book people will be able to talk about.

Final Note:

Thanks, and we hope everyone enjoys the book!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

I loved this book and was happy to see it picked for BOTM, so I started a reread. I'm only through the first story, but I enjoy the prose.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Prose is good so far, wonder how much of that is down to Le Guin. Translators have a lot of power.

But when Bib came back from the shadows of the ruins I was hooked.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

apophenium posted:

Prose is good so far, wonder how much of that is down to Le Guin. Translators have a lot of power.

But when Bib came back from the shadows of the ruins I was hooked.

I loved when he found the throne too.

Kalpa Imperial, Portrait of the Emperor posted:

In that big house, in a room shut off by its fallen ceiling, one day toward the end of summer Bib came upon a gigantic chair, heavy as a mountain. It shone like the dishes he'd brought to his mother on his first day of manhood, and was covered with hard beads like those on the necklace that she'd worn since then instead of the string of teeth from animals Voro had killed in a long-ago winter before he was born. The chair was so high, so imposing, so solid, so tremendous, that it scarcely seemed made for a man. Bib thought it might be for a giant. He also thought that he was a giant. Certainly not in body: Bib was still a weak little man, not very tall. Yet he thought himself a giant, and the chair was made for him. He climbed the three steps of its base and seated himself on it. Alone, in the ruined place, in almost total darkness since light entered only through the hold the son of Voro had made in the ceiling that had fallen across the old doorway, there he sat, a bold, inquisitive, disobedient barbarian, on the Golden Throne of the Lords of the Empire.

I took a look at a Spanish edition to see if it was close:

quote:

En esa gran casa, en una habitación clausurada por un techo desmoronado, Bib encontró un día de fines de verano un asiento gigantesco, pesado como una montaña, brillante como los platos que le había llevado a su madre en su primer día de hombre, incrustado de cuentas duras como las del collar que ella usaba desde entonces alrededor del cuello en lugar de la sarta de dientes de animales cazados por Voro en un invierno lejano cuando él aún no había nacido. Era tan grande ese asiento, tan imponente, tan macizo, tan desmesurado, que apenas parecía hecho para un hombre. Bib pensó que sería para un gigante. También pensó que él era un gigante. No era cierto, por supuesto, no por lo menos en cuanto al cuerpo: Bib seguía siendo un hombrecito flaco y no muy alto. Pero pensó eso, pensó que él era un gigante y que el asiento estaba hecho para él. Y subió los tres escalones de la base y se sentó. Solo, en el recinto en ruinas, en la oscuridad casi completa porque no había más luz que la que entraba por el boquete que el hijo de Voro había hecho en el techo caído contra la antigua entrada de la sala, allí, un bárbaro temerario, curioso y desobediente, se sentó en el trono de oro de los señores del Imperio.

My Spanish is not very good these days, but it seems like LeGuin stuck pretty close in this example. There were some changes in rhythm, breaking up sentences at least once to make it flow better in English. If someone with better Spanish knowledge corrects me, so much the better.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

This book is great already imo.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I picked this up from the library today and have gotten through the first two chapters/stories so far; it pulled me in right away. I'm looking forward to finishing it; that shouldn't be too difficult given how short the book is.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's been really enjoyable so far. Nice to see something fresh in fantasy.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I'm finished with the first book, and I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like there's an increasing amount of humor in each story. The final one about the haphazardly sprawling capital had me chuckling the whole way through.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 7, 2022

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

I liked these stories. Solid prose as you’d expect from LeGuin and I like the floating timeless feeling with it often seeming like some typical fantasy empire but then occasionally throwing in a reference to cars or guns or Rintintin or something else more modern or linked to the real world.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Just finished the rest of the book. Overall, I think I preferred the stories from the first part, but then I reached the last story, and the caravan guide's tales about the origin of the world had me howling.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Meaty Ore posted:

Just finished the rest of the book. Overall, I think I preferred the stories from the first part, but then I reached the last story, and the caravan guide's tales about the origin of the world had me howling.
More or less the same. Overall I think I enjoyed the ferret story the most, with the way it shows a ruler violently replaced from an intimate, immediately understandable perspective.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

team overhead smash posted:

I liked these stories. Solid prose as you’d expect from LeGuin and I like the floating timeless feeling with it often seeming like some typical fantasy empire but then occasionally throwing in a reference to cars or guns or Rintintin or something else more modern or linked to the real world.

The last one was amazing with how it altered spellings of early 20th century celebrities to fit this culture's pronounciation.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Just finished, what a unique set of stories.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Regarding the last story, I can't help but wonder if Gorodischer was aware of Gene Wolfe having done much the same thing with mashing Greek myth and (in his case) American history together from a far future point of view in the Book of the New Sun. It seems unlikely, though, both books seem to have come out at at similar time?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
my reaction to the first 2/3rds of the book was "i were a citizen of the empire (to the extent that such a thing is possible) i would feel pretty worried that i was going to wake up and end up as part of a Myth" but then the incense road chapter took away my ability to be snarky on even that point, very upsetting

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

This is the Dark Souls of novels in this video essay I will... *is pulled away by comically large cane*

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1518750996813565952?s=20&t=B16pvjlvCXSSxvSE353Jbw

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
I just finished Kalpa Imperial and wow I loved it. Loved it! The final chapter in particular was extremely good, a lossy soup of classical legend eroded by infinite tellings over uncountable time.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Reread of Kalpa Imperial was great; looking forward to seeing what the next BOTM is.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Not bad. I liked the Ferret, the arts town, the going coming guy, and the last story the best. The one about the dancing kid was super Vancian, like distilled and concentrated Jack Vance, very well done.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
gorodischer read a lot of calvino as well, i think.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1521035786463940608?s=20&t=enjWRhIqlNhYrfPvN847zg

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Finally finished this, it was quite good but parts of it drag on and on.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Finished this. Wow what book. I loved the fluid nature of the narrators. Sometimes the storyteller is a dick, a villain, a legend, or even listening to another story.

Would recommend.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Only 33% of the way through this but it is so loving amazing.

I went and read Piranesi in between and came back to this and felt another shock with just how much I enjoy this book. It's just pure and wonderful storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Just finished this, what an amazing little collection of tales. I will say I was mightily confused by the references in the last story, though I will says Yeimsbón marrying Margareta’Acher made me giggle, as well as Yonlenón being the only good ringostar.

But is that last story just basically the oral-tradition spinning out of control? They’re so far down the line our culture has come and gone and now taken on borderline mythical proportions?