Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Didn't in Jericho's book didn't he say that Nash wanted to put Jericho in the NWO that was a sign they wanted to destroy his heat?
I remember it as a bad idea but not malicious and Jericho realized being the ~9th best nWo member wouldn't get him over as well as being independent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I remember it as a bad idea but not malicious and Jericho realized being the ~9th best nWo member wouldn't get him over as well as being independent.

I think they specifically saw he had a hot act and wanted to leech off of it. It wasn't an attempt at burial, although he probably would have been quickly marginalized.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MassRayPer posted:

I think they specifically saw he had a hot act and wanted to leech off of it. It wasn't an attempt at burial, although he probably would have been quickly marginalized.

Actually it might have been Steiners shoot and him saying that it was a Nash tactic to destroy someones heat.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

I remember reading back in the day that Jericho was going to be a new member of D-X on his debut, which is why he was going to be called Xcalibur. No idea how true that all was.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Lone Rogue posted:

I remember reading back in the day that Jericho was going to be a new member of D-X on his debut, which is why he was going to be called Xcalibur. No idea how true that all was.

90's dirtsheets were the best.

BREAKING NEWS

On Arsonal Da Rebel's new CD he has a line where he says "I'm gonna put you in the torture rack like Lex Luger"

STAY TUNED TO DA PHENOM JIMMY AND NEVER TRUST ANYONE WHO CLAIMS TO FLY IN A SKIRT

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Lone Rogue posted:

I remember the Jericho/DX rumor.

>>>PLEASE CLICK THIS LINK THAT IMPLIES WE HAVE NUDE DIVA PICS<<<

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

MassRayPer posted:

I recently read Jericho's first book and this is how I saw it too. I think he was smart enough to know that while being moved into the nWo was a "promotion" in WCW terms, it was still only bound to be a short-term thing if he wasn't Hogan, Nash or whoever. WCW could do things WWE couldn't with its bulky roster but in putting it together they also threw out that the notion that maybe, just maybe, some of their attractive talent wouldn't want to be support acts for their lives in the process.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

I remember the Jericho/DX rumor.

>>>PLEASE CLICK THIS LINK THAT IMPLIES WE HAVE NUDE DIVA PICS<<<

I remember one website I used to visit would use the exact same template, mad libs in whoever was main eventing, and then mention a famous stable.

>>>RANDY ORTON TO BREAK UP FROM EVOLUTION, FORM NEW DX<<<<

>>>ORLANDO JORDAN TO BREAK UP FROM JBL'S CABINET, FORM NEW HORSEMEN<<<

etc.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Does anybody remember those horrible Pay Per Listen WCW Events? I remember Boston Brawl in early 1998, where they had Hogan vs. Sting in a steel cage. I remember somehow listening to a free stream of it online, what a terrible concept.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Astro7x posted:

Does anybody remember those horrible Pay Per Listen WCW Events? I remember Boston Brawl in early 1998, where they had Hogan vs. Sting in a steel cage. I remember somehow listening to a free stream of it online, what a terrible concept.

Haha. I thought it was a cool idea at the time but never wasted money on it. It mostly seemed cool because I didn't know you could do that with the internet.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Astro7x posted:

If WWE did that now, I'd probably listen while I was screwing around on the deck smoking a cigar or shooting pool in the basement on the weekends, but that would require staffing commentators for those shows, so it's a stupid business decision.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

sportsgenius86 posted:

If WWE did that now, I'd probably listen while I was screwing around on the deck smoking a cigar or shooting pool in the basement on the weekends, but that would require staffing commentators for those shows, so it's a stupid business decision.

You would pay money for an audio feed of pro wrestling?

bartok
May 10, 2006

Audio only pro wrestling seems worse then listening to basketball or hockey on the radio.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I used to watch WCW PPVs with the scrambler on and I loved every one. :colbert:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Astro7x posted:

No.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bocc Kob posted:

I used to watch WCW PPVs with the scrambler on and I loved every one. :colbert:

I saw Halloween Havoc 97 that way, it was one of those lucky nights where the screen was sort of split in half and you could basically see everything.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

I saw Halloween Havoc 97 that way, it was one of those lucky nights where the screen was sort of split in half and you could basically see everything.

Are you sure that is all that good?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Used to watch scrambled WWF PPVs back in the day. For whatever reason Wrestlemania 8 unscrambled during the Piper/Hart match and the rest of the event came in clear as a bell.
I think Wrestlemania 9 unscrambled itself for me, too. I guess I was just lucky with outdoor arena events.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

Are you sure that is all that good?

DDP vs Savage, Dragon vs Nagata and Rey vs Eddy say yes!

On top of that, Age in the Cage was more entertaining in black and white waves.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

sportsgenius86 posted:

I have never smoked a cigar and do not play pool but somehow I now have an insatiable desire to join you in this fantasy world where the WWE does radio broadcasts of its shows. Alternate timeline goon meet!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

DDP vs Savage, Dragon vs Nagata and Rey vs Eddy say yes!

On top of that, Age in the Cage was more entertaining in black and white waves.

Oh poo poo sorry I thought that said 98 which is a completely different animal.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

Oh poo poo sorry I thought that said 98 which is a completely different animal.

That was also a pretty good show!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

That was also a pretty good show!

what would you say was the best overall top to bottom card for WCW from 96-99?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BAN DICKEYE posted:

what would you say was the best overall top to bottom card for WCW from 96-99?

Probably Spring Stampede 99. It had the least atrocious main event and alot of other good stuff. Uncensored 98 and Super Brawl 98 are close, but the main events are so bad. There's a couple good shows in 96 too, but they are pretty uneven. WCW really didn't put out that many classic PPVs during its boom.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

It definitely feels watching back on some episodes of Nitro they were definitely more focused on TV than actually concluding things on PPV. Surprised Spring Stampede 99 is held in such high regard, I'd always dismissed anything post-fingerpoke being worth checking out.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Starrcade '96 looks pretty good just by the card. Ultimo Dragon vs. Dean Malenko had the longest match of the show. :haw:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bocc Kob posted:

Starrcade '96 looks pretty good just by the card. Ultimo Dragon vs. Dean Malenko had the longest match of the show. :haw:

That is one of the best matches in cruiserweight title history but the second half of that card is utter trash with a legendarily bad and insulting main event.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Slamboree 98 probably gets my vote.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

That is one of the best matches in cruiserweight title history but the second half of that card is utter trash with a legendarily bad and insulting main event.

Is that the one where they reveal it's non-title AFTER the big win?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Lone Rogue posted:

Slamboree 98 probably gets my vote.

I remember liking it, especially The Outsiders split, which was definitely one of the more over parts of the show. Have this on VHS and haven't watched for a while though, so I may be talking out of my rear end. I forget the Savage/Hart match, was that good? Also, McMahon/Bischoff was so wild at the time, yet so smart. What if he actually showed up? Had to have at least gotten a few buys off of that angle. Though, I think the ratings had just made the switch WCW would never recover from, so they were probably just desperate.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 22, 2012

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Theoretical question, if the wolfpac had absolutely zero NWO branding, do you think they would have been better accepted by the fanbase, even with Sting joining them?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

BAN DICKEYE posted:

Theoretical question, if the wolfpac had absolutely zero NWO branding, do you think they would have been better accepted by the fanbase, even with Sting joining them?
Probably. Nash alone was over enough.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
96, 97, 98, and 99 was just a series of really bad Starrcade Main Events

-Piper's Non Title Match Win
-Sting/Hogan Fast Count
-Nash/Golberg w/ the Taser
-Hart/Goldberg recreating the Survivor Series screwjob in the middle of a series where there are 4 WHC wins followed by the title being immediately vacated.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Astro7x posted:

96, 97, 98, and 99 was just a series of really bad Starrcade Main Events

-Piper's Non Title Match Win
-Sting/Hogan Fast Count
-Nash/Golberg w/ the Taser
-Hart/Goldberg recreating the Survivor Series screwjob in the middle of a series where there are 4 WHC wins followed by the title being immediately vacated.

You forget 94 were it is Hogan vs Zodiac? That event also had Alex Wright beating HHH.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

BAN DICKEYE posted:

Is that the one where they reveal it's non-title AFTER the big win?

I can't remember if they announced it or not, but it was a non-title singles match as the Main Event of Starrcade.

Which is still a pretty mind-blowingly bad decision announced or not.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Toffile posted:

I can't remember if they announced it or not, but it was a non-title singles match as the Main Event of Starrcade.

Which is still a pretty mind-blowingly bad decision announced or not.

No no no it was annonced as a title match and Piper is the one who chose the stipulations. So either Piper is stupid or WCW just did not want to give Piper the belt.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bobkatt013 posted:

No no no it was annonced as a title match and Piper is the one who chose the stipulations. So either Piper is stupid or WCW just did not want to give Piper the belt.

Ah yes, that's right.

Sorry, every time I try to think critically over that angle my brain tries to worm its way out of my head.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Toffile posted:

Ah yes, that's right.

Sorry, every time I try to think critically over that angle my brain tries to worm its way out of my head.

That is the way with most WCW angles

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

If Piper hadn't fought it, they would've had Hogan beat him clean in all their matches. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Astro7x posted:

I don't know if I'd pay money, but I was on the road from Pittsburgh to Washington DC Sunday night, and my girlfriend kept refreshing WWE.com/Punchsport for the latest PPV updates.

I wouldn't mind a Sirius/XM WWE PPV audio stream on one of the high-numbered channels if you got announcers like Matthews/Striker. I wouldn't pay $9.99 a pop for it, though.