Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Before this gets into a "you don't know how to do a burnout" thing, let me explain...

I thought the BRZ & FR-S had the small emergency brake caliper on the rotor like the picture I posted. I also assumed that since the guy doing the burnout was on an incline, he would use the e-brake instead of the normal brakes. I do know how to do a burnout though; I promise. I'm sorry, just not thinking straight right now. The docs have me on painkillers since my accident and they've been messing with my brain :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Cakefool posted:

:psyduck: what exactly do you think a burnout is?

This, apparently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM3So0U1BMQ

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
So, on an open-diff car a little bit of e-brake on a RWD car will sort of let you do a burnout. However, on the posted video, as others have said, he's just doing a brake stand.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I think I might have spotted one! Black Toyota GT86, on my way to work. I'm not 100% sure, but it sure looked like it, and had new license plates. It passed in the opposite direction, so I couldn't get a good look.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Is it just me or does it seem like a bad idea to walk in front of a car during a burnout attempt? (ignoring the actual results of this one)

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

japtor posted:

Is it just me or does it seem like a bad idea to walk in front of a car during a burnout attempt? (ignoring the actual results of this one)

Well no because that also has potential for a hilarious video.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I've driven one in anger!

It was a blue BRZ Premium with all the doodads and options, bit of a body kit and also a set of Bridgestone tyres.

I will say here and now that my much loved and completely in pieces MY06 WRX would not beat it around Wakefield Park. My gut tells me it's a 1:11 car, the WRX is pushing hard at 1:12. Buuuuuuuut the WRX wasnt exactly in the best of condition which is why it's now basically a bodyshell and coming for a full ground up build.

Plus I'm an idiot with a point to prove but that's for granted.

It basically is exactly the car I would kill for at a track. I can not praise it's agility and ability to go through a corner enough. Places where I lift in the WRX, I keep the foot buried. Brakes are better, gearchange is goddamn sweet as hell, steering is absoulty nailed. The car itself is a nice thing to be in and I can see myself throwing out the back seat and simply using it as a track car without a second glance. Drifting? gently caress yes!

As much as I think that this is one of the best driver cars that I've ever driven and I am hugely excited to have flung it about in anger...... gently caress it's got problems for most of the driving I do in the real world. To access that awesomeness means you need to wring it's neck and that's really best done on a track. It's gutless down low and it's boring to cruise in. The engine note is a drone. It's.... just a nothing thing that does nothing for me.

I think that as a Sunday driver it wins. Stick a set of numbers on the side, mod the thing and it'll reward. I think a supercharger would be a truly awesome thing to mate to this car. Track it, mod it, canyon special, show off.... buy this car.

I think you are mad if you want it to be a commuter car. There's much better out there for that. Unfortunantly that's what I would be asking of it what with the array of Boxer speed I already have lined up for Sunday driving so..... not now for me.

(I do want to make clear this is a hell of a car but you really do need to get into it for it to shine)

I HATE PINK BIKES
Feb 15, 2012

Cat Terrist posted:

It basically is exactly the car I would kill for at a track. I can not praise it's agility and ability to go through a corner enough. Places where I lift in the WRX, I keep the foot buried.

That's definitely not because you were going 20mph slower at the same place :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I HATE PINK BIKES posted:

That's definitely not because you were going 20mph slower at the same place :v:

BRZ is "quick enough" to keep up, so no :) Most of the 0-100 advantage a WRX has is at the jump - once the engine is up in the revs, the BRZ moves pretty well.

When you run the numbers, the BRZ actually isnt all that mismatched - 1250kgs for 145Kw vs 1375-1415kg for 168Kw - I'm comparing stock for stock in this case. Dry surface I could imagine the BRZ hanging on in the straightline.... but what the WRX can do coming out of a corner is neutered by the fact you have a higher corner exit speed in the BRZ. You HAVE to slow the WRX down more, so when you line em up for the next corner, the BRZ arrives pretty much line ball.

Much about making a RWD work is keeping the cornering speed as high as possible and its chassis allows that sooooo well, a WRX is in all reality an understeering car that you have to settle before firing it out of the corner.... you can fling the WRX like a mad man about but it's quicker to follow the slow in / fire out method, That's just the nature of Subaru AWD. The BRZ is faster in, faster out. Oh and on the power earlier, NA, no turbo lag. Get it right the engine is singing at full song when you want it. Turbo - there is a pause while it spools.

So you end up with the WRX needing to not just beat the BRZ down the straight, it has to do so from a good handful of kph down and also later after the BRZ is well and truly at full power.

I did not get to drive the BRZ in anything less than perfect conditions so I can not comment on anything other than perfect tarmac.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Gonna disagree with you about the turbo lag, at least in a lightly modded car. Besides, if you're fighting lag in a 2.5 at all you're not on the throttle soon enough.

In my car at least, there is no appreciable lag above 3000 RPM.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Cat Terrist posted:

I think you are mad if you want it to be a commuter car. There's much better out there for that. Unfortunantly that's what I would be asking of it what with the array of Boxer speed I already have lined up for Sunday driving so..... not now for me.

(I do want to make clear this is a hell of a car but you really do need to get into it for it to shine)

Wait, why can't it be both? Or are the modifications that you're speaking of the kind that would make it unsuitable for a daily driver?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Oh man, this video. I love that the camera guy just sat there, kept his mouth shut, and watched the guy destroy his clutch. On the bright side, he saved his tires! :downsgun:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Oh man, this video. I love that the camera guy just sat there, kept his mouth shut, and watched the guy destroy his clutch. On the bright side, he saved his tires! :downsgun:

It's not the clutch I'd be worried about. It looked like the engine abruptly cut out at the end, rather than being shut off.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 25, 2012

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

Wait, why can't it be both? Or are the modifications that you're speaking of the kind that would make it unsuitable for a daily driver?

I have no idea what he's talking about. I took that car out on the highway and through bumpy roads and backstreets as well as traffic. It handled great for me in all conditions. The power obviously isn't impressive but its still good enough to get you going. Realistically I could only see things getting annoying during break-in.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

DerDestroyer posted:

I have no idea what he's talking about. I took that car out on the highway and through bumpy roads and backstreets as well as traffic. It handled great for me in all conditions. The power obviously isn't impressive but its still good enough to get you going. Realistically I could only see things getting annoying during break-in.
I respect Cat Terrist's experience with rally and practically creating a car from nothing but half-broken parts quite a lot. That being said, I sometimes get the feeling he has no idea what he's blathering on about when it comes to anything else.

There's not a thing wrong with the FRS/BRZ as a daily driver that isn't also wrong with practically any other 2-seater or 2+2 coupe. The engine has sufficient power to get up to speed, the ride isn't unduly harsh; less so then the S2K or my Cayman, it has decent fuel economy, and maintenance is/will be quite easy due to the engine bay layout. The seats are comfortable enough for the period of time I drove it, and the trunk and rear seats provide a ridiculous amount of cargo room compared to similar vehicles.

It's not like driving around a Seven or anything.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

DerDestroyer posted:

What? He's saying it's boring as poo poo to drive as a DD as it really shines when it's getting thrown around.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Muffinpox posted:

What? He's saying it's boring as poo poo to drive as a DD as it really shines when it's getting thrown around.

If that's the case, what at that price level would be exciting to drive around on your way to and from work? I understood the whole point of this car was practicality during the week and fun on the weekends.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Jeep Wrangler, and don't use roads to get to work? Bonus if you live in an urban area.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

If that's the case, what at that price level would be exciting to drive around on your way to and from work? I understood the whole point of this car was practicality during the week and fun on the weekends.

C3 corvette stingray with sidepipes that go wubwubwubwuwbuwbuwbwubwubwuwbuwbwubwub

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Splizwarf posted:

Jeep Wrangler, and don't use roads to get to work? Bonus if you live in an urban area.

Using cyclists as terrain features would make for a more interesting commute...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I saw a white FR-S going the other way when I was driving home from work yesterday and oh god now I'm depressed. I want this car SO BAD but my ~16k a year won't even support the car payment, let alone insurance or track time to actually enjoy the thing.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Dick Burglar posted:

It's not the clutch I'd be worried about. It looked like the engine abruptly cut out at the end, rather than being shut off.

Maybe he spun a bearing? I didn't notice that the car abruptly cut out. Was too busy laughing at his idiocy.

E: After watching it, I agree. He most likely spun a bearing. There's an absolute ton of smoke coming from that engine.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Fucknag posted:

I saw a white FR-S going the other way when I was driving home from work yesterday and oh god now I'm depressed. I want this car SO BAD but my ~16k a year won't even support the car payment, let alone insurance or track time to actually enjoy the thing.

How do you even survive on 16k a year?

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006

Cat Terrist posted:

BRZ is "quick enough" to keep up, so no :) Most of the 0-100 advantage a WRX has is at the jump - once the engine is up in the revs, the BRZ moves pretty well.

When you run the numbers, the BRZ actually isnt all that mismatched - 1250kgs for 145Kw vs 1375-1415kg for 168Kw - I'm comparing stock for stock in this case. Dry surface I could imagine the BRZ hanging on in the straightline.... but what the WRX can do coming out of a corner is neutered by the fact you have a higher corner exit speed in the BRZ. You HAVE to slow the WRX down more, so when you line em up for the next corner, the BRZ arrives pretty much line ball.

Much about making a RWD work is keeping the cornering speed as high as possible and its chassis allows that sooooo well, a WRX is in all reality an understeering car that you have to settle before firing it out of the corner.... you can fling the WRX like a mad man about but it's quicker to follow the slow in / fire out method, That's just the nature of Subaru AWD. The BRZ is faster in, faster out. Oh and on the power earlier, NA, no turbo lag. Get it right the engine is singing at full song when you want it. Turbo - there is a pause while it spools.

So you end up with the WRX needing to not just beat the BRZ down the straight, it has to do so from a good handful of kph down and also later after the BRZ is well and truly at full power.

I did not get to drive the BRZ in anything less than perfect conditions so I can not comment on anything other than perfect tarmac.

I'm sorry but a WRX, STi or EVO in any form will destroy a BRZ/FR-S on any track. I like the BRZ and FR-S but lets get real here. The BRZ/FR-S shouldn't even be compaired to any AWD turbo charged car.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Solkanar512 posted:

The GTI or WRX are obvious answers. The key is low end torque. CatTerrists concerns are basically my concerns; within the confines of the street and among traffic you simply can't safely stay in the conditions to exploit a high-reviving RWD car. You will be forced to slow down in curves, constantly pushed outside your powerband by conventional traffic. With a torque-ier car it's a non-issue, muscle your way gracelessly off every light, around the blocking mom-mobiles; with a small displacement turbo you can still hypermile the rest of the commute.

It's why I've said if they can fit a little snail to this to fatten the torque at the bottom without messing much with top-end horse it'll be perfect, but without I'm worried that on the street it's a lot of sportscar compromise without enough sportscar potential.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Bovril Delight posted:

Still living at home with my mom. :sigh:

The joys of being a retail mechanic tirebuster.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

CatTerrists concerns are basically my concerns; within the confines of the street and among traffic you simply can't safely stay in the conditions to exploit a high-reviving RWD car. You will be forced to slow down in curves, constantly pushed outside your powerband by conventional traffic. With a torque-ier car it's a non-issue, muscle your way gracelessly off every light, around the blocking mom-mobiles; with a small displacement turbo you can still hypermile the rest of the commute.

:ohdear:

I must be really hosed in the SVT focus I've had as my DD for the last 5 years. Maybe it's the FWD that has kept me alive?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

fknlo posted:

:ohdear:

I must be really hosed in the SVT focus I've had as my DD for the last 5 years. Maybe it's the FWD that has kept me alive?

When I say you can't safely stay in band it's because on the road there will inevitably be a late-braking SUV or van or crap in the way forcing you to lose revs / momentum, not because RWD will tear off your face and hurl it into a tree. You are correct though, this isn't going to be an issue keeping your Focus from going fast.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

The GTI or WRX are obvious answers. The key is low end torque. CatTerrists concerns are basically my concerns; within the confines of the street and among traffic you simply can't safely stay in the conditions to exploit a high-reviving RWD car. You will be forced to slow down in curves, constantly pushed outside your powerband by conventional traffic. With a torque-ier car it's a non-issue, muscle your way gracelessly off every light, around the blocking mom-mobiles; with a small displacement turbo you can still hypermile the rest of the commute.

It's why I've said if they can fit a little snail to this to fatten the torque at the bottom without messing much with top-end horse it'll be perfect, but without I'm worried that on the street it's a lot of sportscar compromise without enough sportscar potential.

This pretty much sums it up. turbo pulls the torque down to somewhere that is actually useable (even though the torque is mostly there from 2500 excluding that weird dip til 4k), kick it up to 260nm or something and boom, instant awesome car.

right now its pretty much a 2 door camry (which, btw, the i4 in the camry is making 230nm at 4100RPM, non hybrid)

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Bovril Delight posted:

Good question, sadly thats what the MAJORITY of people are making in this country because thats minimum wage. How loving sad is that.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
It appears an enterprising dealer is taking preorders here, and he has a price.

USD 91.000

:suicide:

Tack on another grand for metallic paint and five grand for an auto, if that's your desires.

Show models in August, actual customer butts in their own seats in a year (wtf?)

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

Laserface posted:

(even though the torque is mostly there from 2500 excluding that weird dip til 4k)

I heard from a not very intelligent friend (although it sounds correct), that the weird dip is the rpm they do the emissions testing on.

Makes sense though, advance the variable valves to get some EGR happening, reduces NOx, but kills VE and hence torque. Also some spark trickery for the sake of emissions occurs.

If thats the case if the ECU's are easily reflashed, you could gain that back with a pretty simple tune. Was the case for my WRX anyway.

Ecstatic fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 26, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

quote:

Exactly. But to expand on the point, exciting daily driving isnt what I was getting at - yes the BRZ is boring as a DD but the main point was that take away the absolutly brilliant Sunday car bit and what are you left with? A snoozy coupe that lacks utility, isnt particularly good going to the shops and tootling around town, not entirely compelling cruising on the freeway..... a Camry does all that as a DD better.

Maybe cheaper too.

I didnt say this is wrong either - IF I didnt have too many Sunday cars already I'd have a BRZ now. I cant justify it as a DD as it's just not cut for that.

jdfording posted:

I'm sorry but a WRX, STi or EVO in any form will destroy a BRZ/FR-S on any track. I like the BRZ and FR-S but lets get real here. The BRZ/FR-S shouldn't even be compaired to any AWD turbo charged car.

I have a database of Wakefield Park stock car times, 1:11.8 is the absolute best any stock WRX can do. I'm quite sure the BRZ will at the least equal it because it is simply a better car around a corner and it's just not that much slower in a straight line due to the weight difference. It also responds better to maniac driving.

As much as I do use the 06 WRX on the track, it's not at home on it like a BRZ would be. A WRX is more at home doing a range of other things like finding a gravel road. That's not an issue, it's not designed to be a track day car. It's a calmed down rally machine and utterly insane in it's element.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I honestly don't mind the lack of low end torque in a daily driver. I don't see what the fuss is all about, then again my daily is a miata. Unless your commute has twisty roads with little to no traffic it's still going to be a commute, and when you're stuck in traffic it's more of a well the AC works and the seat is comfortable than anything else...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
My local dealer called me asking if I was interested in the premium auto they've had in stock. It's kind of funny that they went conservative on it - silver, premium, auto - and no one wants it.

It sounded like I wasn't the first guy who said I was only interested in a manual.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Any chance that the automatics are getting sold at MSRP?

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Ecstatic posted:

I heard from a not very intelligent friend (although it sounds correct), that the weird dip is the rpm they do the emissions testing on.

Makes sense though, advance the variable valves to get some EGR happening, reduces NOx, but kills VE and hence torque. Also some spark trickery for the sake of emissions occurs.

If thats the case if the ECU's are easily reflashed, you could gain that back with a pretty simple tune. Was the case for my WRX anyway.

I think it's due to resonance pulses. The stock intake has like four goddamn resonators on it. A local company is using my car to develop some products, we changed it out to a simple pipe intake with a 9" cone filter and the dip in torque / hp actually became more significant leading me to believe it has something to do with resonance rather than some sort of emissions testing hijinks. But yes, we should be able to kill that dip regardless once the ECU is cracked.

NOTinuyasha posted:

Any chance that the automatics are getting sold at MSRP?

Automatics add $1100 to MSRP, but yeah you just have to get lucky and find one on the lot that doesn't have some stupid markup.

zorch fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 26, 2012

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

coolskillrex remix posted:

Good question, sadly thats what the MAJORITY of people are making in this country because thats minimum wage. How loving sad is that.

What? 5.2% of hourly-paid workers (this EXCLUDES salaried workers) work at or below minimum wage, with about half being under 25.

http://www.bls.gov/cps/minwage2011.htm

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Endless Mike posted:

What? 5.2% of hourly-paid workers (this EXCLUDES salaried workers) work at or below minimum wage, with about half being under 25.

http://www.bls.gov/cps/minwage2011.htm

I got confused, i meant that most people are living off of a wage close to that. More and more hourly companies are cutting employee hours so theyre considered part time, so theyre being purposefully underemployed so they dont have to give them benefits. Even if theyre making $9 an hour they only take home about $15000 after taxes if they work 35 hours per week. Also if you're always a salesperson (meaning you dont become a manager) at retail giants in california youre looking at a glass ceiling around the $10 mark (and even after 10 years theyll still do their best to not employ you full time)

Also that list is only for people who work for the federal minimum wage, and is all but useless for determining how many people actually work for minimum wage considering that arkansas, arizona, california, colorado, connecticut, florida, D.C., Illinois, Massachusetts, Maine, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington are not represented in any real capacity due to having higher than federal minimum wage.

Someone who works full time at 7.25 is paid $13,500 a year after taxes. So thats not even really close to the $16,000 number anyways.

quote:

There are 150,917,735 wage earners in this country for 2009. That said, 24,315,992 of them earned less than $5000. 50% earned less than $26,261 in 2009.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Cool, but let's move on. CT, do you think anyone can get a timed lap for that track in the BRZ/FR-S.

• Locked thread