Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Compared to regular transmissions? I'm not so sure.

In any case I meant that the AWD wasn't an issue. If CVTs really were so great then the competition would adopt it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Which they are. Right now we're probably at the point where there's still enough efficiency to be gained in a variety of areas that it's not necessary to hit the current fuel economy targets. In a few years, it will be increasingly difficult to hit targets and we'll see even more manufacturers going to CVT.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Which they are. Right now we're probably at the point where there's still enough efficiency to be gained in a variety of areas that it's not necessary to hit the current fuel economy targets. In a few years, it will be increasingly difficult to hit targets and we'll see even more manufacturers going to CVT.

Why does the automotive press hate the CVT so much? Are there mechanical and performance issues or is it just the added cost to maintain it?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
When they first came out 10 or 15 years ago they were touted as the future when they wound up being pretty mediocre and breaking after less than 100k miles. I'm sure the technology has improved since then but automotive perceptions always seem to lag about 10 years.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DerDestroyer posted:

Why does the automotive press hate the CVT so much? Are there mechanical and performance issues or is it just the added cost to maintain it?

They're un-fun to drive and my extremely anecdotal experience indicates they have a worse throttle response, and they keep the wheezy 4 cylinders they are usually paired to at an RPM range that just sounds like moaning to be put out of its misery.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

DerDestroyer posted:

The automotive press never cares about stuff like maintenance. It's purely because they're inherently weird/unfamiliar compared to normal transmission and often made extra-weird by adding fake gears and other nonsense.

You'd think they'd optimize the engines to not sound like poo poo at the most common RPMs, but they don't.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Do all CVT transmissions use fake gearing? If i had one i'd want it to stay at one RPM, Williams FW15C-style.

(if you dont know what im talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3UpBKXMRto)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well the earlier models put into Audis and Fords did have a lot of issues, not really so much because they were CVTs as much as because VW/Audi and Ford are just terrible at everything.

The Nissan ones weren't so bad on the small cars but the larger cars and SUVs had problems. They've probably got them sorted now. The Nissan CVTs on Dodge/Chrysler and Subaru cars seem to be fine.

CVTs advantages:

- infinite ratios obviously.
- for small car applications they can be made very small and light, much smaller than a regular planetary gearbox with more than 4 gears.

Disadvantages:

- last time I read they were less efficient and had more friction losses than a gear box.
- the small boxes were limited in the range of ratios that they could accommodate, because of the nature of the belt drive mechanism. To give it a wider range of ratios the box needs to be made bigger.

Both of these tend to negate a lot of the advantages. CVTs were really popular in Japanese kei size cars, because they were small, and mostly just drove in city traffic so a CVT only needs to shuffle in between a small range of ratios. On larger North American cars that do lots of highway miles there isn't very much of an advantage, especially compared to a 6-7-8 speed gearbox that just locks into a tall overdrive gear for efficient highway driving.

Nissan supposedly has a re-designed CVT on the 2013 Altima, with a wider range of ratios specifically for North American driving styles and drivetrain losses "reduced by up to 40%" compared to the last year model, and the 2013 Altima is indeed rated for very high mpg. I don't know if that makes it more efficient than a regular gearbox, especially considering other marques already use 8 speed gear boxes on their RWD models and ZF is coming out with a 9 speed FWD gearbox that will be going into the next generation Chryslers.

quote:

Targeted Class-Leading Highway Fuel Economy

Helping increase fuel economy with both engines is the next-generation Xtronic CVT® (Continuously Variable Transmission). Nissan is an industry leader in CVT transmissions, with more than 20 years of experience in CVT design and engineering. For this next-generation design, a full 70 percent of the parts have been redesigned and internal friction reduced by up to 40 percent (versus the previous design). It also features new control logic and expanded gear ratio coverage, which helps reduce noise and fuel consumption while improving drivability and responsiveness.

Notably Nissan doesn't use a CVT on their RWD models, not even the low powered ones.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 13, 2012

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Throatwarbler posted:

Notably Nissan doesn't use a CVT on their RWD models, not even the low powered ones.

What do they have that's low-powered and RWD? The base Frontier?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

PT6A posted:

Skyline 250GT? Not sure if that's low powered enough for this discussion.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

grover posted:

I'm wondering how long Subaru will be able to keep an all-AWD lineup while meeting emissions and mpg requirements.

AWD isnt NOT that big of a l/km / emissions problem.

quote:

Wait, what? I don't know what's going on in Australia, but if that feeling is company wide, why in the gently caress did they make the car in the first place? WHy does it even matter when it's making them money in an environment where other car manufacturers (Europe in particular) are taking a big hit?

The whole thing sounds like some stupid pissing match - why isn't there room for both?

Subaru makes the cars, every one Toyota sells is money for Subaru - the partnership with Toyota allowed them to get new production facilities. Plus, have a look at the sales list - Subaru even during the GFC was and still is selling every car they can make almost before it lands in the dealers lot.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

PT6A posted:

The base Frontier has 265hp and 270 lb/ft. Not exactly low powered.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
For what it's worth I had a new rental Altima yesterday and it wasn't too bad. The engine sounds loving terrible, but the actual gearbox was pretty drat good.

I agree that it doesn't matter as much on a flat interstate, but especially with the way the current EPA test is configured, I'd imagine that the CVT has notable advantages.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

For what it's worth I had a new rental Altima yesterday and it wasn't too bad. The engine sounds loving terrible, but the actual gearbox was pretty drat good.

Wrong thread to post in.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Well, it's certainly... an article.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/drives/2014-scion-fr-s-coupe-engineering-prototype

quote:

Toyota wants to introduce a couple more sports cars, which will bracket the FR-S in price and power. Increasing the engine power too much would bring FR-S into contention with what Tada-san admits will be a new Supra model.

quote:

In fact, a turbo would be difficult to engineer for the Subaru flat-four-cylinder engine without seriously raising the center of gravity and Tada-san’s team is investigating other options. These include a supercharger, boring the engine beyond its 2.0-liter capacity and a hybrid system completely redesigned from the Prius THS system, which could also be used by Toyota’s Lexus brand. A test model FR-S is running in Japan with such a system, which uses the high-torque electric motor output to boost the engine in a similar way to Formula-One kinetic energy recovery systems. Tada-san also wants to reduce the weight of the FR-S by at least 220 lbs., although he says that greater weight savings than that will require the use of exotic and expensive materials.

edit: and have a pistonheads article: http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=26650

Hog Obituary fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 14, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

My boss has an Audi A6 2.7 TDI Avant with the CVT, he seems to be quite satisfied with it. I think it sounds really odd accelerating without increasing in revs.

Toyobaru-related, I saw my first one today, a red Toyota GT-86. It looks really great and is a lot smaller than I imagined.

Now I just want one even more.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

I can see why Subaru might be a good bit upset about this. Subaru is probably pissed that Toyota is launching an entire model line around Subaru's engine design (and even possibly altering it) and Subaru isn't making much off the deal.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Throatwarbler posted:

Well they did do a disastrous CVT on a couple of Japanese models back in the early 2000s but went back to conventional autos after a couple of years.

Actually Nissan's earlier CVTs were terrible in general, both to drive and for reliability. Those and the Honda Jazz/Fit and Civic (which have since reverted to a normal auto) totally trashed the reputation of CVTs in New Zealand.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Devyl posted:

I can see why Subaru might be a good bit upset about this. Subaru is probably pissed that Toyota is launching an entire model line around Subaru's engine design (and even possibly altering it) and Subaru isn't making much off the deal.

Why would they be that bothered, given it's still Subaru making every Toybaru and then getting royalty money for their base engine designs? The program is paying for factories and budgets to bring out new models that they are more focused on so I cant really see why they care that much what Toyota will be asking Subaru to build.

Besides, it's becoming more clear Subaru are using Toybaru money to produce new engines and give them the chance to produce a standalone WRX/STI line. I really doubt Subaru are too bothered at all.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Hog Obituary posted:

Well, it's certainly... an article.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/drives/2014-scion-fr-s-coupe-engineering-prototype

quote:

In fact, a turbo would be difficult to engineer for the Subaru flat-four-cylinder engine without seriously raising the center of gravity and Tada-san’s team is investigating other options.

I respect the thinking behind not making this a turbo car but really that is the weakest excuse he could've used, it makes no sense at all. Where does he think a turbo would be mounted, on top of the engine?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
For that matter, where would the supercharger go, if not on top of the engine?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Snowdens Secret posted:

For that matter, where would the supercharger go, if not on top of the engine?

Well heres a nice pic of the vortech supercharger kit.

The bulk of it appears to be placed infront of the the motor, not directly ontop. So I guess it messes with his weightu distributionu.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

dissss posted:

Well they did do a disastrous CVT on a couple of Japanese models back in the early 2000s but went back to conventional autos after a couple of years.

Actually Nissan's earlier CVTs were terrible in general, both to drive and for reliability. Those and the Honda Jazz/Fit and Civic (which have since reverted to a normal auto) totally trashed the reputation of CVTs in New Zealand.

The ones they used in the Skyline was a different kind of mechanism, a "toroid" type dealy that used rollers and cones instead of a belt. Who know if they were good or not but they don't seem to be using it anymore, so that says something.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Devyl posted:

Plus wasnt the entire point of the exercise with this car to develop an initial base car and then have divergent trains of upgrading and modification.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
I think Subaru should take the BRZ platform and keep making incremental powertrain and chassis upgrades to it until they build a Porsche 911 equivalent.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If CT's correct, they're already acting like Porsche - refusing to proceed down what may actually be a better path out of bloody-minded obsession with their precious halo car.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Got a chance to drive the Chasebays FR-S this past weekend. It only has an exhaust, lowering springs, and BBS LMs right now. Holy poo poo! The car was everthing it's been cracked up to be. I might be designing some parts for it this winter!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Party Alarm posted:

Got a chance to drive the Chasebays FR-S this past weekend. It only has an exhaust, lowering springs, and BBS LMs right now. Holy poo poo! The car was everthing it's been cracked up to be. I might be designing some parts for it this winter!

What tires?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I left a voicemail yesterday for my preferred salesguy about getting a BRZ. We shall see what happens.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Throatwarbler posted:

The ones they used in the Skyline was a different kind of mechanism, a "toroid" type dealy that used rollers and cones instead of a belt. Who know if they were good or not but they don't seem to be using it anymore, so that says something.

All I know is being a one off model its impossible to get repaired and they absolutely require a special fluid (different to what the normal Nissan CVTs use) which is expensive and not commonly available.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
That Vortech supercharger kit looks fairly OEM. If I were Toyota and Subaru I'd let the aftermarket do all the R&D and then copy whatever ends up being the most efficient system.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

My calls to the dealerships in my area (Seattle) haven't been fruitful. It seems that even those that have BRZs sitting on their lots are still expecting MSRP+delivery. If I could bring myself to be ok with an FRS, I'd still have to pay more for one than MSRP since they've all seem to got stupid poo poo added on.

I don't know that I can bring myself to pay MSRP for what is essentially a "fun economy car" (to me at least). I guess for now I'll just sit on it and see what happens over the next few months. I'm kind of surprised that the process seems so difficult... I would have thought that with the world economy being as tempestuous as it is right now that Subaru and Toyota would recognize a good seller and improve/increase production to take advantage of the demand.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mat_Drinks posted:

My calls to the dealerships in my area (Seattle) haven't been fruitful. It seems that even those that have BRZs sitting on their lots are still expecting MSRP+delivery. If I could bring myself to be ok with an FRS, I'd still have to pay more for one than MSRP since they've all seem to got stupid poo poo added on.

I'm in the Seattle area as well, what do you mean by "they've all seem to got stupid poo poo added on" with respect to the FR-S? I thought the only options were dumb accessories or extended warranty plans.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm in the Seattle area as well, what do you mean by "they've all seem to got stupid poo poo added on" with respect to the FR-S? I thought the only options were dumb accessories or extended warranty plans.

They always try to add on a window tint in Arizona, and then pass the cost on to you with margin of course. I had to practically argue with them to not do it (I'm going to go with Huper Optik on my own), luckily I was engaged with them as soon as it rolled off the truck. Also the ones the dealerships order or get allotted always seem to come with the bumper applique, trunk cargo mat, and wheel locks by default at least. They are part of the VIN and can't be removed.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

OldPueblo's got it. Bits and pieces like tint and film at ridiculous markups without the materials necessarily even being that great.

The bumper aplique is LITERALLY a $50 "scion" sticker on the bumper. It's that kind of crap that makes me almost unwilling to even consider the Scion.

Since I'm already posting, earlier today I was looking at the invoice prices of the BRZ and it made me feel more steadfast about waiting. At this time I cannot bring myself to pay $3-4k over invoice, I just can't.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Christ, gently caress dealerships.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

At the Toyota/Scion dealership I was at recently, all of their models featured a $1300 markup for what was plastic in the door sills, rear bumper applique & some sort of paint protection. Unreal.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Mat_Drinks posted:

OldPueblo's got it. Bits and pieces like tint and film at ridiculous markups without the materials necessarily even being that great.

The bumper aplique is LITERALLY a $50 "scion" sticker on the bumper. It's that kind of crap that makes me almost unwilling to even consider the Scion.

Since I'm already posting, earlier today I was looking at the invoice prices of the BRZ and it made me feel more steadfast about waiting. At this time I cannot bring myself to pay $3-4k over invoice, I just can't.

Well to be fair the bumper applique does protect the bumper from scratches when sliding stuff in or setting stuff on it while loading. But what also works just as well and costs nothing is... me.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

you guys paying a few grand for tint and an applique, at leas you're getting something.

Any of the units sitting on lots in australia are the base model, auto, and are being marked up in excess of $15,000. with no extras. AT ALL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

FWIW the Subaru dealerships seem to be less prone to adding stupid crap in order to markup their cars. So with what the Scion dealers are doing you could spend the same money on a bunch of garbage you don't need or you could spend it on HID lights, nicer seats / interior, touchscreen navigation / radio, etc. etc.

• Locked thread