Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

TL posted:

My big concern now is that WWE has no idea how to book a top face anymore. Sheamus is having the same issue now, where he's rapidly turning all jokey and not taking anything seriously. It's weird, too, because its so far from his original character: he was a big Irish dude who likes to beat people up. All you need to do to make him a face is change his targets to heels. Instead, he's a big, happy go lucky smiling dude who hasn't shown any real anger over losing the World Title.

Dude, he beat the Big Show with a chair for, like, 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I get the stench of HHHs finger prints any time Sheamus starts doing schtick and I don't really know why. It's just an instinct honed from years of hating HHH and recognizing his brand of terrible forced humor.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

TL posted:

My big concern now is that WWE has no idea how to book a top face anymore. Sheamus is having the same issue now, where he's rapidly turning all jokey and not taking anything seriously. It's weird, too, because its so far from his original character: he was a big Irish dude who likes to beat people up. All you need to do to make him a face is change his targets to heels. Instead, he's a big, happy go lucky smiling dude who hasn't shown any real anger over losing the World Title.
Anyone with natural charisma are either heels of CM Punk.

Supreme Allah posted:

I get the stench of HHHs finger prints any time Sheamus starts doing schtick and I don't really know why. It's just an instinct honed from years of hating HHH and recognizing his brand of terrible forced humor.
Sheamus is Triple H's protoge behind the scenes if you weren't around during that time. Guess who HBK's was? Drew MacIntyre. That turned out well.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Flameingblack posted:

Anyone with natural charisma are either heels of CM Punk.
Sheamus is Triple H's protoge behind the scenes if you weren't around during that time. Guess who HBK's was? Drew MacIntyre. That turned out well.

Drew will one day be Champ. Mark my words.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Gonz posted:

Michael PS Hayes should have been karate chopped in the throat until dead by a random biker gang.

Why can't I stop laughing at this? Is this even a reference to anything?

Devil Child
Nov 30, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Really, given how quickly Sheamus and McIntire fell, I'm surprised either of them had connections backstage. Sheamus bounced back, but the guy lost every match he was in for months back in 2011.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
What I'm getting is that every wrestler should be mentored by William Regal

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Devil Child posted:

Really, given how quickly Sheamus and McIntire fell, I'm surprised either of them had connections backstage. Sheamus bounced back, but the guy lost every match he was in for months back in 2011.
But that's every former champion other than Cena, Bryan, and I guess Henry because he got hurt.

WWE isn't just bad at pushing new talent. They make drat sure to turn new main eventers back into just another guy.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

But that's every former champion other than Cena, Bryan, and I guess Henry because he got hurt.

WWE isn't just bad at pushing new talent. They make drat sure to turn new main eventers back into just another guy.

Well, they'll never be moneymakers like Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Batista, Edge, or Taker.

Oh... wait... poo poo.

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 19, 2013

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So in looking at ratings for wrestling during the war, I've come across something that makes me curious. There are about 5 million less people watching now than watched then. Several million of these viewers disappeared immediately when WCW dropped off the face of the earth. Like, the week of.

Is it in any way possible that the way Nielsen counts viewers screwed up these numbers because it doesn't account for people switching both shows in any other way than "They were tuned to RAW at 9:45 and Nitro at 10:00"?

One aspect I never see taken into account is the fact that TNT, on the west coast, still played things at East Coast times live. Nitro began at 5 in the afternoon and all station bumpers would advertise shows for three hours later than they actually aired over here. People could watch all of Nitro, then watch all of Raw, making the overnights look like twice as many people were watching both shows. Then the Nitro replay aired opposite RAW.

WCW's ratings took a giant dive when TNT stopped doing this if my memory can be trusted (it often can't) and that would explain it almost completely. An entire coast of people didn't have to choose which show to watch, and this is never discussed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

So in looking at ratings for wrestling during the war, I've come across something that makes me curious. There are about 5 million less people watching now than watched then. Several million of these viewers disappeared immediately when WCW dropped off the face of the earth. Like, the week of.

Is it in any way possible that the way Nielsen counts viewers screwed up these numbers because it doesn't account for people switching both shows in any other way than "They were tuned to RAW at 9:45 and Nitro at 10:00"?

One aspect I never see taken into account is the fact that TNT, on the west coast, still played things at East Coast times live. Nitro began at 5 in the afternoon and all station bumpers would advertise shows for three hours later than they actually aired over here. People could watch all of Nitro, then watch all of Raw, making the overnights look like twice as many people were watching both shows. Then the Nitro replay aired opposite RAW.

WCW's ratings took a giant dive when TNT stopped doing this if my memory can be trusted (it often can't) and that would explain it almost completely. An entire coast of people didn't have to choose which show to watch, and this is never discussed.

That actually sounds like a good question for Meltzer.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

If you check out the back issues for the first few weeks of the Wars, Dave does go into the West Coast feed a bit and what it meant for ratings at that point (as well as replays.) As for the first part of your question, I'm not sure if you are asking if Nielsen was missing people switching back and forth due to the quarter hours, or if they were double counting people who switched between shows, or maybe something else.

If it is the quarter hour thing, both companies actually got minute by minute ratings patterns (and turned them over to Dave.) So they knew who was watching when with a great deal of accuracy. That's how both sides discovered that hype packages were huge ratings losers and started doing away with them until they realized they needed them to sell PPVs and thus make money.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
You can't have a character as "A big guy who likes fighting" and have him be champ for 4 months. At least 15 minutes a week is spent monologuing, or in feud scenes. Even if Sheamus only did SD! (Not wwe.com, WWE youtube, Raw, Main Event, NXT, Wwe magazine, wwe kids magazine), that's a full hour a month. ...Not to mention guest commentary!

Nuance, conflict and backstory make writing tv interesting. What does a champ want? What do they need? (It could be anything from self respect to a morality-changing asskicking).

Of course, the WWE chews up and spits out writers. All the logic and continuity on Earth doesn't matter if someone pours ketchup on your storyboards.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 20, 2013

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Paulocaust posted:

Also, Cena has always struck me as a fake, phony, sociopath kiss rear end. Look at his tremendous acting job during the Eddie tribute. I've hated him since the moment I saw this. It's so loving phony, especially when it's contrasted by genuine guys like the Big Show/Chavo/Benoit doing their tributes later in the show.

http://youtu.be/IOHgpmNj0Zw?t=6m13s

The fact that you called Cena a sociopath invalidates any opinion you will ever have on anything ever. What a hilariously absurd notion.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

paint dry posted:

People are mad because Cena is doing his job? :confused:

But I can kind of see what you mean. Hell I'm sick of watching him win and I didn't even know who he was three months ago. If you'd mentioned him to me then I'd say "John Cena? Wasn't he in that lovely movie The Marine?"

Look at it from the perspective of Steve Urkel.

Steve Urkel's schtick was that of a nasally voiced nerd who had a 'hilarious' catchphrase ("Did I do that?") He was a co-star.

Then he got popular. He still did his job, but the writers began to give him more and more screen time. Then the show started to revolve around him. Then it was all-Urkel all the goddamned time.

Then everyone hated him and wanted to wring his neck, even though he was just doing his job.

Same thing with Cena. He's rammed down everyone's throats to the point where people are just burnt out on him. And he's been on top around 8-9 years with very little change or development to his character.

Think about that in the context of a normal television show. Even a formulaic, by-the-numbers show like House has seen the characters change and develop, even if the basic plot premise is so similar episode to episode that you could set your watch to it.

Now put it within the context of a professional wrestling show, which is probably some of the most formulaic, predictable poo poo you can see on your television any given week. You have someone whose character has been in a prominent (or THE most prominent spot) for almost a loving decade with virtually ZERO change beyond the color of the t-shirt he's wearing.

Of course a segment of the fans are loving sick of him and want something new/different.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Not to mention that with 'House' or any other regular TV show, there's an off-season that lasts three or four months, plus breaks for holidays and such. Even if Cena is only on 'Raw', that's still fifty-two weeks straight every year with no interruption, every episode being at least 25% HUSTLE, LOYALTY, RESPECT. With the exception of being out with an injury, during which he'll still show up for interviews, video packages, etc, he's just constantly on loving television.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Like, I have no problem with Cena's character or Cena as a wrestler, per se. My favorite grapplemans won't always be the top guy. I wasn't a fan of Randy Orton, Eddie Guerrero (yes, I know, turn in my smark card and leave the Internet) Rock, Triple H, wasn't a fan of Austin 3:16 (:canada:) but I've come around on some of them when something piques my interest.

I thought Cena's character was interesting initially and was something I thought about re: professional wrestling. "Are there ever going to be any good guys ever again?" and was happy to see a character like Cena's make it to the top and not be a mockery of old 80s babyfaces. But then he just stayed there. Doing nothing, having boring feuds. I think a lot of fans on here could find Cena interesting again if something happens with his character/gimmick. That doesn't necessarily mean turning him heel (although it's the easiest way of doing so.)

Basically, if you eat cookies and ice cream every night for supper, you're going to eventually get sick of eating cookies and ice cream, regardless of how much you love both things.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Perdido posted:

Look at it from the perspective of Steve Urkel.

Steve Urkel's schtick was that of a nasally voiced nerd who had a 'hilarious' catchphrase ("Did I do that?") He was a co-star.

Then he got popular. He still did his job, but the writers began to give him more and more screen time. Then the show started to revolve around him. Then it was all-Urkel all the goddamned time.

Then everyone hated him and wanted to wring his neck, even though he was just doing his job.

Same thing with Cena. He's rammed down everyone's throats to the point where people are just burnt out on him. And he's been on top around 8-9 years with very little change or development to his character.

Think about that in the context of a normal television show. Even a formulaic, by-the-numbers show like House has seen the characters change and develop, even if the basic plot premise is so similar episode to episode that you could set your watch to it.

Now put it within the context of a professional wrestling show, which is probably some of the most formulaic, predictable poo poo you can see on your television any given week. You have someone whose character has been in a prominent (or THE most prominent spot) for almost a loving decade with virtually ZERO change beyond the color of the t-shirt he's wearing.

Of course a segment of the fans are loving sick of him and want something new/different.

Except Family Matters was smart enough to realize when the schtick wore down and started to mix in the Stefan Ur-kel character or whatever because the pandering nerd was growing old to people.

They knew the focus of the fanbase had shifted from Steve loving up perpetually to finding a way for him to be with Laura.

They had entire episodes revolving around the non-nerd version of Steve because they saw ratings decline. They didnt blame those drops on Carl or Laura and push Steve harder to compensate, they found a way to make the character fresh.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

That, uh, doesn't change my point at all. People got sick of the character and they tuned out. It took changing things up (the Stefan Urkel character you mentioned) to make things new and interesting.

John Cena's character is still in the 'all Urkel, all the time' phase.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Perdido posted:

That, uh, doesn't change my point at all. People got sick of the character and they tuned out. It took changing things up (the Stefan Urkel character you mentioned) to make things new and interesting.

John Cena's character is still in the 'all Urkel, all the time' phase.

Oops I read that wrong. I am now going to enjoy a nice coffee to wake my stupid rear end up.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I'm thoroughly enjoying all the Urkeltalk on this page.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Did I do that? :ohdear:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Comparing Family Matters to pro wrestling? Come on, there is absolutely no crossover there and to try to pro-
:stare:

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
It's funny because the Urkeltalk was originally aimed at me and I'm from the UK so I have no clue what Family Matters is.

I remember when I was a kid there was a Hulk Hogan cartoon. Why isn't there a Cena cartoon? Wait sorry I shouldn't give them ideas.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

paint dry posted:

It's funny because the Urkeltalk was originally aimed at me and I'm from the UK so I have no clue what Family Matters is.

I remember when I was a kid there was a Hulk Hogan cartoon. Why isn't there a Cena cartoon? Wait sorry I shouldn't give them ideas.

Probably because whenever WWE attempts cartoons anymore they look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_g_d_qtmJw

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Probably because whenever WWE attempts cartoons anymore they look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_g_d_qtmJw

Are you saying you see something wrong with a cartoon about Vince McMahon's rear end?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

paint dry posted:

Are you saying you see something wrong with a cartoon about Vince McMahon's rear end?

Only legally. That cartoon would still be running for the next 15 years otherwise.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!

paint dry posted:

I'm trying to think of a UK sitcom (where it was painfully obvious the actors and/or creative team overstayed their welcome by a number of years) that we could use as a useful Cena comparison, but as UK shows tend to be much shorter in terms of seasons and number of episodes than they are here in the States, I find I can't think of any that would be parallel to something like "Family Matters", which ran here for what seemed like an eternity (thanks to syndication). I'm sure one of our intrepid UK goon wrestlefans will be happy to point out the deficiency in my knowledge before long here, though. :v:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm trying to think of a UK sitcom (where it was painfully obvious the actors and/or creative team overstayed their welcome by a number of years) that we could use as a useful Cena comparison, but as UK shows tend to be much shorter in terms of seasons and number of episodes than they are here in the States, I find I can't think of any that would be parallel to something like "Family Matters", which ran here for what seemed like an eternity (thanks to syndication). I'm sure one of our intrepid UK goon wrestlefans will be happy to point out the deficiency in my knowledge before long here, though. :v:

It would be like Papa Lazarou getting his own sitcom and being made for PG audiences instead of just appearing on two League of Gentlemen sketches.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It would be like Papa Lazarou getting his own sitcom and being made for PG audiences instead of just appearing on two League of Gentlemen sketches.

This is a pretty good comparison. Imagine he got show that aired every day. And it was just him behaving in exactly the same way as the sketches he was in. Without changing. Just exactly the same.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Will they really promote Mania 30 as Wrestlemania XXX?

Either way, what are the odds of another Chyna porno of the same name?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Valeyard posted:

Will they really promote Mania 30 as Wrestlemania XXX?

Either way, what are the odds of another Chyna porno of the same name?

She might have already filmed it.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Cavauro posted:

Only legally. That cartoon would still be running for the next 15 years otherwise.

A friend was working as Michael Cole's top guy in video when this lawsuit rumor started. He asked Cole and was told "Where do they come up with this stuff?" so this was not true.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

bobkatt013 posted:

She might have already filmed it.

Oh gently caress, please tell me that's un-true. Watching and reviewing "Chyna is Queen of the Ring" for a podcast was horrendous enough.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Oh gently caress, please tell me that's un-true. Watching and reviewing "Chyna is Queen of the Ring" for a podcast was horrendous enough.

She is doing porno. I thought they do around 50 a year?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

bobkatt013 posted:

She is doing porno. I thought they do around 50 a year?

She also escorts on the side so she probably doesn't have the time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

She also escorts on the side so she probably doesn't have the time.

I did not know about that, and I wish I never did. She really had a spectacular fall. It must be in the top 10.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'd say top 3. Her, Jake Roberts, Scott Hall.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

paint dry posted:

I guess I hadn't really realised all this. Thanks!

Just out of interest, this EXACT question was asked (and is indexed in the OP!) in 2009. So in 2009, people were tired of Cena's character being stale and him continuing to do the same old thing.... and in 2013 nothing has changed. That says a lot.

Edit: This thread from January of 2006 shows people making exactly the same complaints about Cena as well. That's almost 7 years (at least) of people feeling like they're getting the same old poo poo from Cena.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!

VogeGandire posted:

I'd say top 3. Her, Jake Roberts, Scott Hall.

DDP's greatest challenge still awaits him.