Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Augmented Dickey posted:

Everyone I know hates the LS, but I've always thought they had a really classy and understanded design like the old BMW's and Mercs of the 80's and 90's. I'd really like one for my next car but they all seem to be beaten to hell in my area.

One of my best friends has an LS "with the Cobra engine" and it's awesome, though a bit wallowy and piggish. It's also poo poo on gas and not really all that fast. Still, better than most models of that era, by a long shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

anonumos posted:

One of my best friends has an LS "with the Cobra engine" and it's awesome, though a bit wallowy and piggish. It's also poo poo on gas and not really all that fast. Still, better than most models of that era, by a long shot.

Unless he swapped in a 4.6L, no he doesn't. Hate to be a ball-breaker, but it's a 4 liter.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Unless he swapped in a 4.6L, no he doesn't. Hate to be a ball-breaker, but it's a 4 liter.

Somewhere in the 90's, people started getting the idea that if it was built by Ford (and quick), but not a Mustang, then it must have a Mustang engine.

I had 93, 95, and 98 SHO's and random strangers would always be trying to convince me that they had "Mustang Cobra motors".

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
So this is pretty unexpected, at least to me. Apparently there's going to be a 2015 Corvette BELOW the new 2014 "Stingray" model that will have a 5.3L engine making less than 400hp. Not sure what I think of that but if they're trying to appeal to a younger market, going cheaper and more fuel efficient is a good way of achieving that.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

davebo posted:

So this is pretty unexpected, at least to me. Apparently there's going to be a 2015 Corvette BELOW the new 2014 "Stingray" model that will have a 5.3L engine making less than 400hp. Not sure what I think of that but if they're trying to appeal to a younger market, going cheaper and more fuel efficient is a good way of achieving that.

A "Poorvette" if you will.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

That's great if true and if they can get the price down. For me somewhere between 350 and 400hp and under $40k would be a much more interesting car. It might even replace the Cayman as my "when my kid finishes college, I will celebrate by buying one" car.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Voltage posted:

More details released on the McLaren P1: http://jalopnik.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-1-3-million-mcla-442662563

That roof :swoon:

0-62 mph under 3 seconds
0-124 mph under 7 seconds
217mph top speed
$1.3 million USD

Of course all the cool 12 year old millionaires are posting on jalopnik are complaining about its 'low' top speed. Seriously if it does ~180 who gives a gently caress after that, even if you take it to the track, which no Veyron, F1, or this will probably ever see. They will all be couped up in a sultans garage.

I wonder if the top speed is tire limited. There are a lot of exotics that are electronically limited to 217mph for some reason.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The forces a 19"+ wheel are subject to at those speeds are mind blowing.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
Chery have hired Hakan Saracoglu, the guy credited for penning the 987 and 918 Porsche's, to help style their new models.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/DC3F120814696FEACA257B1E00253B41

I knew Kia had that Audi guy, but I didn't realise just how much headhunting emerging Asian car manufacturers were doing. The guy who designed the new mini is now working for a company called Qoros. Leonardo Fioravanti's previous works contains most of the red cars I like; and now he's working for Beijing Auto.
I don't know how much the artistic vision of these people known for their sports and supercar designs will be watered down by built-to-the-dollar grocery getters, but I think it's interesting all the same.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
But that was always the thing with the F1. They set out to build the best car they could, it just happened to be the fastest, too.

Top speed nonsense is for infants, it's like a Land Rover Defender or Wrangler Rubicon compared to a 44"-Swamper-wearing bro truck.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

D C posted:

A "Poorvette" if you will.

I really hope this gets made because a 350hp $40k C7 would be awesome, but how on Earth will it sell to the carbuying masses when the V8 Mustang and Camaro are both ~420hp?

Anything that would increase Corvette volume numbers is great, but I think that the market buying new corvettes isn't very price sensitive. The difference between a $45k car and a $55k isn't that big as far as what demographics are able and willing to afford it. Most people who need a car for utility would take the fatter muscle cars if they want an everyday driver with tons of power, the price-sensitive groups will be buying C5 Z06 or C6 vettes used for a long time to come.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

SouthLAnd posted:

Somewhere in the 90's, people started getting the idea that if it was built by Ford (and quick), but not a Mustang, then it must have a Mustang engine.

I had 93, 95, and 98 SHO's and random strangers would always be trying to convince me that they had "Mustang Cobra motors".

Hrm. Looking into it a bit more, he must have the Jag V8 version. I never bought the whole Cobra motor thing, which is why I put it in quotes...I wasn't sure what it was, except it is a big, thirsty 8 cyl.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Weinertron posted:

I really hope this gets made because a 350hp $40k C7 would be awesome, but how on Earth will it sell to the carbuying masses when the V8 Mustang and Camaro are both ~420hp?

You fail to understand the Corvette fanaticism.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Maybe the market will wise up and realize the folly of the horsepower wars.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Zorak of Michigan posted:

YOU SHUT UP. YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH UP>

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

burn the heretic

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Soon weight will be the new horsepower and we'll all glide around on 1,500 pound aluminum sheet metal leaves while we wear collarless jackets and eat at taco bell with people who may or may not be replicants.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Xguard86 posted:

Soon weight will be the new horsepower and we'll all glide around on 1,500 pound aluminum sheet metal leaves while we wear collarless jackets and eat at taco bell with people who may or may not be replicants.

With the way the world is heading currently...

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Your life may be better than mine but I can't see how I'd get more enjoyment out of a 450hp Corvette than a 350hp version. My S4 is quick enough that the real speed limit is my own courage and I'm not upgrading that.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Go to the drag strip and run it. Report back when your testes have dropped.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Devyl posted:

You fail to understand the Corvette fanaticism.

Most rational people do.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I think a 350 HP, 3200 LB (or less) Corvette for $39k would have a market, be perfectly capable as well as fun at the track and go 0-60 mph in 4.8 seconds.

If you need to have your face ripped off at some drag strip get a nastier version obviously.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 27, 2013

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Your life may be better than mine but I can't see how I'd get more enjoyment out of a 450hp Corvette than a 350hp version. My S4 is quick enough that the real speed limit is my own courage and I'm not upgrading that.

When cars can make 400hp and get 30 mpg and have a 0-60 of 5ish seconds and 19 bajillion airbags and fart unicorn toots I'm not going to call that a case of "my life may be better" I'm going to call that a case of my life is way more loving awesome than yours if you think manufacturers should lower the hp they are making.

Edit: Horsepower wars are the best ever.

TheFonz fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 27, 2013

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

davebo posted:

Put in a 350 hp V6, and charge V6 Mustang money for it. Who cares if it's wildly impractical if it's priced like a cheap weekend car?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Keyser S0ze posted:

I think a 350 HP, 3200 LB (or less) Corvette for $39k would have a market, be perfectly capable as well as fun at the track and go 0-60 mph in 4.8 seconds.
I don't think they can decontent the C7 enough so that <45k would be justifiable on margins.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

TheFonz posted:

When cars can make 400hp and get 30 mpg and have a 0-60 of 5ish seconds and 19 bajillion airbags and fart unicorn toots I'm not going to call that a case of "my life may be better" I'm going to call that a case of my life is way more loving awesome than yours if you think manufacturers should lower the hp they are making.

Edit: Horsepower wars are the best ever.

All other things being equal, I accept that more horsepower == better. All other things are rarely equal, though. I'd rather have a hypothetical 350hp Corvette than a 400hp Mustang at the same price point. If the focus on horsepower uber alles is keeping manufacturers from addressing other things that make cars fun to drive, then the horsepower wars suck.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
On GM's side, their biggest hp cars are also the best handlers-- the ZR1 and ZL1. They haven't addressed the market of FR-S buyers, but I don't think the Corvette platform is how to get there.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

If the focus on horsepower uber alles is keeping manufacturers from addressing other things that make cars fun to drive, then the horsepower wars suck.

W-hat?

That's not at all what is happening though? The cars with higher horsepower are handling better than they have ever before.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Well, it's not really gonna win any horsepower wars, but it's supposedly 1800 lbs.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Thats a very cool direction to go, but a 32 second 0-50 :drat:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What's up with the rear wheel wells?

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
They will have covers over them for Aero.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh, that's what the article was getting at. Thanks. Rear wheel drive should be interesting with that track.

Wheel covers are always a pain to swap tires for, but at least it's four bolt.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Internet Meme posted:

I wonder if the top speed is tire limited. There are a lot of exotics that are electronically limited to 217mph for some reason.
217mph=350kph and could be limited for aero/liability much like the quite arbitrary self-imposed 155mph/250kph electronic limiters in a lot of other cars.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Top speed of 75 mph? Yup, that's not going to be a big seller unless it's ridiculously cheap. Oh god, just imagine trying to get on the highway or Interstate :psyduck:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

It looks like an R8 that got squished.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Devyl posted:

Top speed of 75 mph? Yup, that's not going to be a big seller unless it's ridiculously cheap. Oh god, just imagine trying to get on the highway or Interstate :psyduck:
While 235mpg would be nice, I think I'd settle for a nice happy 100mpg @ 75mph and a 0-60 time somewhere maybe under 10 seconds. Ideally under 8. If they can do that and keep it under $30k, they'll sell millions of them. With hybrid electric technology, it really shouldn't be that difficult to get decent acceleration in a very light package.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

kill me now posted:

Thats a very cool direction to go, but a 32 second 0-50 :drat:
Not sure what's up with that article other than it being pretty old. I see a lot of recent sources pointing at 12.7 seconds 0-62mph
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/volkswagen-xl1-2013-02-22 for example

Jork Juggler
May 22, 2007

Here's an update from an article that is 11 months newer. The future is here, kids, and it will hit 62MPH in only 12.7 seconds.

VW is thinking they'll put its drivetrain into the Up! for a cheaper and thirstier ride. It will be interesting to see if VW brings both cars to market, and if either one can be successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Those built in camera/mirrors are pretty sweet.