Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08112005

God dammit Todd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
God I love that shirt. If he would have offered that shirt in the store, I would have bought it.

What is it with small media, especially webcomics, not offering anything that people actually want to buy?

PepeSilvia
Mar 17, 2009

They sold a:
code:
I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS
backside:
code:
PLUS I
GOT
DEPRES-
SION
shirt in the store, which I definitely somewhat regret not buying before it closed down.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
I have this strip signed and framed.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01262004

Also, I am hella gald to have my Todd Creation Myth T-Shirt and Dude and Catastrophe hoodie.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think only one person said Achewood was misogynist, and didn't really explain their position at all. It's not a useful thing to respond to when most of the conversation has been about portrayals and the role of women in the comic rather than whether or not it hates women, which is a totally different thing.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Molly's line in the fourth panel here: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03142003 always kind of rubbed me the wrong way. "I'm sorry I straight up roasted your ding dong" is still fantastic, though.

Polly was a great character, though, and I wish she was around more.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Tonfa posted:

Honestly the only problem I personally have is from a certain point on half the strips with Beef and Molly involve him yelling at her and it's really uncomfortable to read on an archive binge of what is otherwise a really fun comic.

Are the ones where she is yelling at him just fine though?

Also, I've always heard Lyle as Adam Carolla, and Lie Bot as Christopher Walken.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Still one of my favorite arcs just because of how ridiculous it is (while still managing to capture everyone's personality)
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05132003

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Sigma-X posted:

Who said you can't talk about it? I think people have merely said that expecting strong female characters in a comic about dudes and dude relationships is like hoping to find blueberries in your strawberry patch. Might happen, but not necessary.
No one flat out said "you can't talk about this" but they effectively stated that opinion by dismissing the subject as ridiculous or not worth addressing (or the lack of female characters being a given in male-produced fiction, which in itself is a Wrong Idea), when this thread has in fact gone on for several years discussing every other random thing about the comic long after there have been regular updates.

Good female characters aren't a necessity in everything, no, but Achewood's treatment of women could be a reason why actual real-life women might not like the comic as much, and that is factor in recommending the comic to friends and acquaintances.

Again, people aren't saying "we need badass female characters that are amazing in Achewood, stat!", they're saying "Achewood rarely treats women in a sympathetic or humanizing way", which is a negative trait in the comic, and worth talking about.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Rodney the Piper posted:

Molly's line in the fourth panel here: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03142003 always kind of rubbed me the wrong way. "I'm sorry I straight up roasted your ding dong" is still fantastic, though.

Onstad is certainly not a pioneer in gender relations, but given how Molly ends up fleshing out compared to her early appearances he does not come across as misogynist. Not the world's best writer of women for sure, but if one includes the blogs she is a decently well rounded character who is not just defined by her relationship to Beef. Its why she is in the comic though, since the comic is completely centered on male characters.

As for Beef yelling at her a lot, she also yells at him and straight up mocks him plenty of times. Perhaps I am missing something there, but Beef is clearly portrayed as awkward and sometimes a total jerk since he uses his background as an excuse for bad behavior. Also he is really worried about the taco guy taking a dump in the taco.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Atmus posted:

Also, I've always heard Lyle as Adam Carolla

Eh, I don't know. I'm a huge Carolla fan. But doesn't Lyle need to have some kind of southern twang to his voice, even if slight? I would never expect Adam to be able to accomplish that.

It's close, you've got the right idea. But Adam has zero range, and Lyle needs a little more.

Revol fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 5, 2013

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I never really thought of him being 'southern', so I didn't really apply an accent to him. Adam Carolla has kind of the voice you would expect a biker (even though Lyle isn't one) to have without being really over the top about it like Bobcat Goldthwait.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Actually, Adam Corolla would work great for LieBot

I always envisioned him having that kinda game show host pitch.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Rodney the Piper posted:

For what it's worth, that's a pretty tame comment about gender for a woman from the 1600s.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

You know, I've always pictured Ray as being voiced by Emo Phillips. And Roast Beef by Morgan Freeman. And Lyle by the sound of a can of tuna being dropped down the stairs. And Philippe by a scratchy 1978 vinyl recording of Bach's English Suite #6 in D Minor. And Molly by Robert Mitchum, because who needs women in a strip this utterly misogynist.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Atmus posted:

I never really thought of him being 'southern', so I didn't really apply an accent to him. Adam Carolla has kind of the voice you would expect a biker (even though Lyle isn't one) to have without being really over the top about it like Bobcat Goldthwait.

When I think of Adam's voice, I think of a high school shop teacher, but that's because I'm typecasting him.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Onstad is certainly not a pioneer in gender relations, but given how Molly ends up fleshing out compared to her early appearances he does not come across as misogynist. Not the world's best writer of women for sure, but if one includes the blogs she is a decently well rounded character who is not just defined by her relationship to Beef. Its why she is in the comic though, since the comic is completely centered on male characters.

I don't think he's a misogynist all-around, just that one line that has always stuck out to me pretty weird and doesn't really mesh with the rest of his writing. But maybe it's part of her "from 1600" deal.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
Danny McBride would make a good Lyle.
Todd should be voiced by whoever does Dr. Rockso. (He does cocaine)

Also here's a strip being misogynistic, but then again, it's Nice Pete.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

SoupyTwist posted:

Also here's a strip being misogynistic, but then again, it's Nice Pete.

Yeah, but since Nice Pete is a sociopathic murderer, I doubt any of his qualities or opinions are espoused by Onstad. In fact, if Nice Pete is doing any given thing, it's a good bet that you probably shouldn't be agreeing with it.

ie: That strip is telling you not to be a misogynist. Also to not be in a band because they can cause much trouble.

VV Obviously

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 5, 2013

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Except for the fried chicken.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

SoupyTwist posted:

Danny McBride would make a good Lyle.

Yeah, yeah. That makes a lot of sense.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PepeSilvia posted:

They sold a:
code:
I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS
backside:
code:
PLUS I
GOT
DEPRES-
SION
shirt in the store, which I definitely somewhat regret not buying before it closed down.

I've mentioned this before, but a female exchange student asked if the context for "sucks" meant I was advertiing that I like to suck dick.

The best translation I could give was, "it means no fun to be around."

That was the first and only time I wore that shirt to a bar.

So it's true, you can't meet women while wearing that shirt.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Revol posted:

Eh, I don't know. I'm a huge Carolla fan. But doesn't Lyle need to have some kind of southern twang to his voice, even if slight? I would never expect Adam to be able to accomplish that.

It's close, you've got the right idea. But Adam has zero range, and Lyle needs a little more.

I've always imagined Lyle as sound kind of like Gilbert Gottfried but A) at a reasonable volume and B) with a stereotypical New York/New Jersey (Maybe Brooklyn? I'm not familiar enough with the local subtleties.) "gently caress you " accent. It's either that or, as mentioned, an aging biker who can still kick some rear end if he really needs to.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I think Lyle sounds like Jason Lee as an angry version of Earl.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

ManiacClown posted:

. It's either that or, as mentioned, an aging biker who can still kick some rear end if he really needs to.

Chuck Zito.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I never bothered reading any of the blogs until now and Jesus Christ despite the dearth of good female characters or racial stereotypes or whatever that is some Writing that this man has done.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I never bothered reading any of the blogs until now and Jesus Christ despite the dearth of good female characters or racial stereotypes or whatever that is some Writing that this man has done.

Yeah, Molly's blogs (all the blogs really) rule. As was mentioned earlier, Molly's in particular feels like a serious effort to write a legit woman's perspective and for the most part it does so well.

e: also, wow, read the blogs! Some are weaker/less in-depth than others but most of them are magnificently well-written, interlink with the strips which were released at the same time, and feature fully developed independent storylines for each character. Big reccs in particular are Ray, Lyle and Cornelius.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 5, 2013

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
In rebuttal, I offer this piece of misogyny:

not really, I just think this is probably the funniest Philippe moment

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Android Blues posted:

e: also, wow, read the blogs! Some are weaker/less in-depth than others but most of them are magnificently well-written, interlink with the strips which were released at the same time, and feature fully developed independent storylines for each character. Big reccs in particular are Ray, Lyle and Cornelius.

Seconding the Lyle blog rec. In particular, his trip to Scotland is a pretty interesting read (plus it builds up to Lyle arriving drunk at Ray's toilet party.)

blindhaberdasher
Aug 8, 2005

your sins will be read to you ceaselessly, in shifts, throughout eternity
wait! guys!

how come when characters who usually wear clothes are naked we see their dicks hangin out, but chars like roast beef and pat are frequently naked and we do not see their dicks? does this bother anyone else? where are the dicks, chris?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The answer is obvious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

withak posted:

The answer is obvious.

We can't get enough ROCK HARD CAT COCK ?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I always imagined Lyle sounding like a rougher, raunchier version of Dietrich Baeder in Office Space. "HEY PETER, MAN, CHECK OUT CHANNEL 9! IT'S THE BREAST EXAMS!"

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02142002

Ran in to this one today and it might be my favorite pre-party strip.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Superman wouldn't wear a police hat in the shower! Applesauce!

:3:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I somehow totally forgot about this one, but it's got some incredible lines.

"Actually dates to the earliest monotheists"
"The Hindenburg of walkin' into a room"
:allears:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02262002

We never hear anything else about Pat's sister after this.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Ron Perlman as Lyle would be pretty much the best thing ever.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Pakled posted:

I somehow totally forgot about this one, but it's got some incredible lines.

"Actually dates to the earliest monotheists"
"The Hindenburg of walkin' into a room"
:allears:

The final panel in this is just brilliant.

JU WANN SOME MOCHA CHICA?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Superman wouldn't wear a police hat in the shower! Applesauce!

:3:

Oh my God, this is awesome. Even though I know that the strip is about teddy bears co-existing with cats and an eternally 5-year-old otter, seeing this image kinda made it hit home.