Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Sir_Seth posted:

I'm just sayin' making quality games is not inXile's forte, so obviously their new business plan is to resurrect old IPs just to leech money from weepy nostalgia-ridden man-children and clearly they are doing a great job of it. :c00l:

At least put in a little effort if you're gonna troll, we plowed that ground ages ago and grew a whole crop of whinging on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Someone should modernize this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bard%27s_Tale_Construction_Set

It would easily run on modern phones.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
And by the way, The Bard's Tale [the new one] is now awesome by virtue of including the original trilogy free of charge.

meadowlark
May 25, 2012

FRINGE posted:

Brian Fargo helped get Wasteland, Bards Tale, Fallout, Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment created before the big Interplay/Titus fiasco.

His credibility is better than yours.

Whatever 'help' he supposedly gave must've been pretty minimal since he's not listed any where in the credits for Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment.

e: source http://allgame.com/

meadowlark
May 25, 2012

Great Rumbler posted:

And by the way, The Bard's Tale [the new one] is now awesome by virtue of including the original trilogy free of charge.

It's not really free of charge when you have to buy a poo poo game to get them.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Sir_Seth posted:

Whatever 'help' he supposedly gave must've been pretty minimal since he's not listed any where in the credits for Fallout

You mean those games (I, II & Tactics) that literally begin with 'Brian Fargo presents'?

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 12, 2013

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Sir_Seth posted:

It's not really free of charge when you have to buy a poo poo game to get them.

Hey, I was given the new Bard's Tale for backing WL2. I do not regret this decision as the gameplay videos for WL2 that have been released look pretty decent, so from my perspective, I got four games free of charge.

Is your beef with Fargo entirely due to the 2004 Bard's Tale being entirely unlike the previous games? Did that crap your day, oh so long ago? Are you bitter?

meadowlark
May 25, 2012

Twee as gently caress posted:

You mean those games (I, II & Tactics) that literally begin with 'Brian Fargo presents'?

So? Doesn't mean he had anything to do with the actual design of the game;

http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=15954&tab=credits
http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=6460&tab=credits
http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=29258&tab=credits (Note he is listed here; under Special Thanks for the Website Team)

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I thought I was pretty good at telling whether people were being serious on the internet, but I just don't know anymore. People are getting good at faking that stuff and I'm too old to learn all the new tricks. Make's me feel kinda sad, in a way. :v:

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Sir_Seth posted:

So? Doesn't mean he had anything to do with the actual design of the game;

http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=15954&tab=credits
http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=6460&tab=credits
http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=29258&tab=credits (Note he is listed here; under Special Thanks for the Website Team)

Your point is absolutely retarded since Brian Fargo is not a writer or a programer or a designer, or whatever else you are pretending he is, he is basically a developer and occasional project managers. He gets money to get games developed, and helps them in a general way.

That's like complaining that Bill Belichick never scored a TD.

Just gently caress off, will ya?

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I honestly enjoyed the new(er) Bard's Tale. It was silly and juvenile but I thought it had real, quirky heart inside of it. Why is it so reviled?

meadowlark
May 25, 2012

Twee as gently caress posted:

Your point is absolutely retarded since Brian Fargo is not a writer or a programer or a designer, or whatever else you are pretending he is, he is basically a developer and occasional project managers. He gets money to get games developed, and helps them in a general way.

That's like complaining that Bill Belichick never scored a TD.

Just gently caress off, will ya?

Nice. Copy and paste that from your previous response rather than actually responding to the evidence. :cheers:

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
^^^ it was the perfectly appropriate response to your post, which is why I moved it there (and not cut/pasted it)

CainsDescendant posted:

I honestly enjoyed the new(er) Bard's Tale. It was silly and juvenile but I thought it had real, quirky heart inside of it. Why is it so reviled?

It's not even reviled, it's an alright game, it's just loving idiots who feel the need to be cocks on the internet using it as a reason to bash inXile when, most likely, they never even played it in the first place.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sir_Seth posted:

Nice. Copy and paste that from your previous response rather than actually responding to the evidence. :cheers:

What's your beef with Fargo little man?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Sir_Seth posted:

Whatever 'help' he supposedly gave must've been pretty minimal since he's not listed any where in the credits for Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment.

e: source http://allgame.com/
This isnt D+D so I wont do a real effortpost about it but youre trolling or youre lazy.

quote:

In 1983, Fargo founded Interplay Productions

quote:

One of the most successful groups within Interplay was formed during this period, Black Isle.

... developed for Interplay, through the Black Isle division, was Baldur's Gate, which proved to be a big hit, followed by others, such as Icewind Dale and the critically acclaimed Planescape: Torment. ...Black Isle's celebrated Fallout, which took some inspiration from Wasteland but was unique in its own right, was a personal project of Fargo, who served as its executive producer and was involved in setting the tone and sensibilities of the game.

Chris Avellone himself made a loving video recently trying to get people like you to shut up.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

CainsDescendant posted:

There was an immediate backlash over it, as I recall, because it wasn't a first-person dungeon party-based dungeon crawl. That's pretty much it, I think, because aside from that I've seen little real critique from anyone who's played it.

meadowlark
May 25, 2012
Heck, they couldn't even bother making their own engine for Wasteland 2, they just said gently caress it and went right to Unity.

e: 'setting the tone and sensibilities of the game.' ... the gently caress does that even mean?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Sir_Seth posted:

Heck, they couldn't even bother making their own engine for Wasteland 2, they just said gently caress it and went right to Unity.
Read the thread.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sir_Seth posted:

Yeah developing your own engine is definitely something that is historically a good use of time and resources.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Sir_Seth posted:

e: 'setting the tone and sensibilities of the game.' ... the gently caress does that even mean?

What's your point? Every new game needs an inhouse engine?

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Sir_Seth posted:

I know right? Not like Bioware, that made their own engine for the Mass Effects.

Oh wait.... no just shut the gently caress up ;)

Great Rumbler posted:

I thought I was pretty good at telling whether people were being serious on the internet, but I just don't know anymore. People are getting good at faking that stuff and I'm too old to learn all the new tricks. Make's me feel kinda sad, in a way. :v:

Haha, yeah me too. Obviously am really bored to even bother atm.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So When I read a little bit about the Numenera setting it really reminded me of the Malazan setting more than anything else, but post even those wars, I guess.

Also, did Cook mention anything about orbital satellites and whatnot? Is there a budding space technology or is it mainly just the wild wild west of post war apocalypse but ~magic-science-magic-nanomachines!?

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
We could post the list of what, a hundred great games that were made using the Unreal engine, or we could simply recognize that this guy is just a loving troll trying to get a rise out of people and ignore him

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Noricae posted:

Haha, yeah me too. Obviously am really bored to even bother atm.

Yeah, I mean, I keep thinking "I gotta hit this chump with a scathing zinger, really put him in his place," but he obviously doesn't care about what he's posting here, so if I care about it and care enough to attempt a reply then that kinda just makes me look bad, doesn't it? But, ah, there's still that temptation of "Someone is WRONG on the internet!" and that's powerful stuff, let me tell you.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Great Rumbler posted:

Yeah, I mean, I keep thinking "I gotta hit this chump with a scathing zinger, really put him in his place," but he obviously doesn't care about what he's posting here, so if I care about it and care enough to attempt a reply then that kinda just makes me look bad, doesn't it? But, ah, there's still that temptation of "Someone is WRONG on the internet!" and that's powerful stuff, let me tell you.
YES.

Lost years of my life this way. ;)

edit: It's all worth it when someone else is like *High five, yeah I too cannot sleep because I am busy correcting people* -.-

edit2: Whoa, the new update is interesting, especially the character types. I hope they're more than the standard wiz/rog/ftr archetypes.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 12, 2013

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Adraeus posted:

Helps that Planescape: Torment has been hailed as the best PC game and/or RPG of all time for nearly 15 years.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's not really nostalgia if the game was actually good. I don't think anyone has any sort of rose tinted glasses and I think even at the time everyone playing correctly identified that the game was imperfect and the right way to play was cheat.

Oh, totally. I'm not using "nostalgia" disparagingly, it's not always a bad thing!

I thought this part of the update was interesting:

Update 5 posted:

We treat the trust you have placed in us seriously, and will maintain our precise focus on creating the game we have told you about. (For example, there is no total this Kickstarter could reach that would lead us to implement multiplayer.) We won’t be trying to broaden our audience – our goal is to provide you with the best embodiment of the game we have presented.

One of the few times I've seen a dev state flat out they won't put ill-fitting things in a game, regardless of funding and interest. It's actually really encouraging about the team and project.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Fuschia tude posted:

One of the few times I've seen a dev state flat out they won't put ill-fitting things in a game, regardless of funding and interest. It's actually really encouraging about the team and project.

That's a line that really speaks to the choir, isn't it? The whole Kickstarter craze is basically a direct response to the dumbed-down, DLC ridden, every game's gotta have multiplayer and social features mentality of the games industry in its current format.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Darkhold posted:

Truth be told I don't have a huge problem with 'toughness' it's not like it's the only crappy skill in 2.5 D&D. Admittedly most of my exposure was through NWN2 but there were tons of things that could screw your character much worse. Also tons of things that would let you horribly break the game over your knee (my personal crazy build).

Toughness in NWN and NWN2 was significantly better than its PnP equivalent that Monte Cook made. In NWN/NWN2 it was 1 hit point per level. In Pen and paper, it was 3HP. Not per level, just 3 extra hit points with nothing else.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Sir_Seth posted:

inXile's history doesn't fill me with a lot confidence...

The Bard's Tale (2004) (PC, Xbox, PS2) (2004)
Line Rider (2008) (Flash, Silverlight, DS, Wii, iOS)
Fantastic Contraption (2008) (Flash, iPhone/iPodTouch)
Super Stacker (2009) (iPhone/iPodTouch)
Super Stacker 2 (2009) (iPhone/iPodTouch)
Shape Shape (2009) (iPhone/iPodTouch)
HEI$T (cancelled in 2010)
Super Stacker Party (2010) (PlayStation Network)
Hunted: The Demon's Forge (2011) (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC)
Choplifter HD (2012) (PlayStation Network, Xbox Live Arcade, PC)[5]

To be honest, I liked the Bard's Tale remake. What other game can you legitimately say gently caress it to the main conflict and go to a bar?

Dec 26, 2012

BenRGamer posted:

To be honest, I liked the Bard's Tale remake. What other game can you legitimately say gently caress it to the main conflict and go to a bar?

It was relatively enjoyable for what it's worth. The humor grated after a while though.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Drifter posted:

Also, did Cook mention anything about orbital satellites and whatnot? Is there a budding space technology or is it mainly just the wild wild west of post war apocalypse but ~magic-science-magic-nanomachines!?

Actually yeah - in The Amber Monolith the main character mentions that his tribe prays to the "gods" that they see every night hovering in the sky.

So they exist but they're not something people understand.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Great Rumbler posted:

That's a line that really speaks to the choir, isn't it? The whole Kickstarter craze is basically a direct response to the dumbed-down, DLC ridden, every game's gotta have multiplayer and social features mentality of the games industry in its current format.
They said similar things about Wasteland 2. When you read interviews with Brian Fargo, like 25-33% of them still say "so will we see multiplayer or ports to consoles? That would certainly help broaden your audience" and he always says "yeah, I'm not really interested in that, because that's what publishers want, and why games like Wasteland 2 have not been made in a decade."

(To be fair, the Baldur's Gate series somehow managed to have a fairly fun multiplayer mode AND be legendarily great single-player CRPGs; maybe they really are the best games ever)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, NWN1 had a really good multiplayer component, easy-to-use toolset and a lovely DM client that made it easy, accessible and almost as fun as playing PnP to play with and the successive versions weren't as... Accessible or fun. :smith:

And it's a decade old now.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Quarex posted:

(To be fair, the Baldur's Gate series somehow managed to have a fairly fun multiplayer mode AND be legendarily great single-player CRPGs; maybe they really are the best games ever)

What do you mean "maybe"? :smuggo:

Also, someone go buy the Baldur's Gate license so we can get that divine-level Bladur's Gate 3 game mentioned earlier!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Jenx posted:

Also, someone go buy the Baldur's Gate license so we can get that divine-level Bladur's Gate 3 game mentioned earlier!

Those guys who released the Extended Edition or whatever it is just did/are doing that.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Pyradox posted:

Actually yeah - in The Amber Monolith the main character mentions that his tribe prays to the "gods" that they see every night hovering in the sky.

So they exist but they're not something people understand.

Except perhaps the Order of Truth, as the guy in the story goes up into one of the satellites at the end, and later becomes the Amber Pope. After fighting a cyborg gorilla.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 12, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chairchucker posted:

Those guys who released the Extended Edition or whatever it is just did/are doing that.

Yeah, Overhaul are planning on making BG3. But they've said that they don't want to do a divine campaign.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Quarex posted:

They said similar things about Wasteland 2. When you read interviews with Brian Fargo, like 25-33% of them still say "so will we see multiplayer or ports to consoles? That would certainly help broaden your audience" and he always says "yeah, I'm not really interested in that, because that's what publishers want, and why games like Wasteland 2 have not been made in a decade."

With isometric RPGs I guess it's more that while multiplayer is something you can effectively build in from the get go and make work it's not really a core gameplay mechanic, thus with a small budget you either have to take resources away from developing the core experience or shoe-horn in a half-assed multiplayer. Both of which are things modern RPGs, and other games types, suffer from even with much larger budgets.

e: I also liked the Bard's Tale remake. It was a solid, fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

CottonWolf posted:

Apparently there are three to choose from, so probably one would be to my taste, but, I agree, I'm loath to throw down money for a t-shirt I've not seen. Same for the posters.

I asked inXile directly, this was their response:

quote:

Yes. We have mockups that we plan to show before the Kickstarter is done.

• Locked thread