Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

Not without taking time to let local boobs have their say.

Local boob has his say

Wait a minute, he thinks HIV doesn't exist, but AIDS does, and it's caused by sperm enzymes entering the blood cell?

Man, that's a new one on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Minnesota works fast and the House committee hearing is happening right now. (Colorado requires 3 committee votes in each house :argh:)
Vote should happen very soon.

Good maps from a DailyKos blogger.

House left, Senate right
Red = GOP district that voted Yes on Amendment 1.
Pink = GOP/No
Light Blue = Dem/Yes
Dark Blue= Dem/No

The one Republican co-sponsor is a Senator from a Yes on 1 district. Hopefully that encourages the bunch in the Minneapolis suburbs.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Minnesota works fast and the House committee hearing is happening right now. (Colorado requires 3 committee votes in each house :argh:)

Soon as in this week or soon as in we should check the news later tonight?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Amused to Death posted:

Soon as in this week or soon as in we should check the news later tonight?

The House will have the bill out of committee later tonight, but the legislature and the governor have signaled that they're not going to take up a gay marriage bill until they hammer out tax and budgeting bills first. Look for a vote on gay marriage towards the summer.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Hopefully the floor vote isn't delayed too long because I think a successful vote in Minnesota should make things easier in Rhode Island and Delaware.
Or the veto override in New Jersey if you're super optimistic.

e: MN bill passes House committee 10-7 :toot:

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 13, 2013

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Hopefully the floor vote isn't delayed too long because I think a successful vote in Minnesota should make things easier in Rhode Island and Delaware.
Or the veto override in New Jersey if you're super optimistic.

e: MN bill passes House committee 10-7 :toot:

I'm pretty sure it will pass this summer unless too many rural district dems chicken out. Right now the strategy is to try and pull in a suburban Republican or two so that we can give the bill a whiff of bipartisanship.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

House left, Senate right
Pink = GOP/No
Light Blue = Dem/Yes
Dark Blue= Dem/No

The one Republican co-sponsor is a Senator from a Yes on 1 district. Hopefully that encourages the bunch in the Minneapolis suburbs.
Goddammit why are there so many pro-A1, blue districts. :negative:

Minnesota, you elected Al Franken, dammit. You're supposed to be a cool state! :mad:

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Gen. Ripper posted:

Minnesota, you elected Al Franken, dammit. You're supposed to be a cool state! :mad:

Never forget that even in the 'blue' states, there are a lot of Republicans. Washington(where I live) is pretty blue, but still 40% of the state votes R reliably.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Mrit posted:

Never forget that even in the 'blue' states, there are a lot of Republicans. Washington(where I live) is pretty blue, but still 40% of the state votes R reliably.

You'd think I'd remember this more often, living in the California Central Valley (more specifically, Fresno, aka "the rear end in a top hat of California"...all the good looking chicks are probably completely insane :negative:)

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Gen. Ripper posted:

You'd think I'd remember this more often, living in the California Central Valley (more specifically, Fresno, aka "the rear end in a top hat of California"...all the good looking chicks are probably completely insane :negative:)

Or just starting their meth addictions. :eng101:

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

Gen. Ripper posted:

The Iron Range is actually the reason we have the DFL in the governor's office and the legislature. They were also instrumental in taking out Voter ID that all of those light red suburbs voted for. I wish that they had been more progressive on this issue, yeah, but Minnesota's Democrats being called the "Democrat-Farmer-Labor" party kind of symbolizes how important the big tent coalition is in this state. We need to have everybody on board to stop us from going down the crazy hole that Wisconsin and Michigan leaped into.

(Bias alert: I am from Northern Minnesota)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Gen. Ripper posted:

Hey, now. Let's be fair.

Bakersfield is the rear end in a top hat of California. :colbert:

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Fairness is acknowledging that California has two assholes.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Chantilly Say posted:

Bakersfield is the rear end in a top hat of California. :colbert:

My only experience with Bakersfield involves stopping there on a road trip to grab a bite to eat and seeing the the headline on the front page of the local paper "Pack of Feral Dogs Still Menace City". Needless to say I moved on fairly quickly.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

House left, Senate right
Pink = GOP/No
Light Blue = Dem/Yes
Dark Blue= Dem/No

So MN state senate districts are just two state house districts put together? That's fascinating.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
New Zealand's Marriage Equality Bill has passed its second reading, 77-44 (first reading passed 80-40). Earlier this week representatives from each party's youth wing came together to support the bill.

quote:

National MP Tim Macindoe was the first to speak against the bill, saying that he had "difficulty in believing that God wants this change to be made".

The New Zealand public has difficulty believing that God exists :whatup:

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Exclamation Marx posted:

New Zealand's Marriage Equality Bill has passed its second reading, 77-44 (first reading passed 80-40). Earlier this week representatives from each party's youth wing came together to support the bill.

The New Zealand public has difficulty believing that God exists :whatup:

That's a pretty good margin, but how'd you lose three votes? Was there an election?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

platedlizard posted:

That's a pretty good margin, but how'd you lose three votes? Was there an election?

The millionaire leader of the Conservative Party, which didn't get into parliament last election because it is terrible, has paid for this kind of poo poo

It's got a list of "weak" MPs (who may have voted against Civil Unions or whatever) so I guess they will have been pressured. The list of who voted what should come out in the morning.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Mo_Steel posted:

So the argument against gay marriage is that gay couples that get married will have gay sex and spread AIDS and then society will be sicker as a whole? :psyduck: Ignoring the biological specifics because holy gently caress would that be a long derail, does he not understand that people who aren't married have sex too or does he just not care and is grasping for any excuse?

Also, if you hate gay people, wouldn't you be okay with that?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Gen. Ripper posted:

Easy, now. We were the first state to defeat a homophobia ballot initiative, defeated a voter suppression amendment at the same time, and elected an entirely Blue legislature, which is why this is even on the table. Give us a break.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

ColdPie posted:

Easy, now. We were the first state to defeat a homophobia ballot initiative, defeated a voter suppression amendment at the same time, and elected an entirely Blue legislature, which is why this is even on the table. Give us a break.

Technically Arizona was the first to reject a marriage amendment ballot measure. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_Proposition_107_%282006%29

They passed one 2 years later, but this one only banned marriage and technically allows for civil unions, similar to Colorado's amendment.

Not that Minnesota isn't awesome for rejecting the 2012 amendment, as well as the other things you mentioned. :unsmith:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

katium posted:

Technically Arizona was the first to reject a marriage amendment ballot measure. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_Proposition_107_%282006%29

They passed one 2 years later, but this one only banned marriage and technically allows for civil unions, similar to Colorado's amendment.

Not that Minnesota isn't awesome for rejecting the 2012 amendment, as well as the other things you mentioned. :unsmith:

To be fair, the amendment opposition campaign was crazy-organized, well-funded, and had their game down to a science. Out in the 'burbs, my dad got a call from a woman who was the same age he was, same professional background, and ex-military to ask him to vote against the marriage amendment (which he did :)). The post-mortem was that they managed to pull in huge numbers of volunteers from the families of gays and lesbians both in the Twin Cities and outstate who put a lot of time and effort into working the phone banks and pinning down votes.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Illinois House is still about 12 votes short.

So that's not good.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

So close. So drat close.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

They need 60 votes, so they have 48, which means 23 Democrats are being shitheads. C'mon people, whip some votes.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Also, if you hate gay people, wouldn't you be okay with that?
No, because The Gay Agenda requires that they recruit innocent young people to their twisted ways, so sick gays will infect normal children.

I've actually heard a similar argument against gay marriage. I was explaining to a conservative person that, if you disapprove of the alleged "gay lifestyle" then you should support those people who want to settle down and make commitments, right? He said, "No, because that will give them stability and credibility when they look to adopt or otherwise convert children to homosexuality." :psyduck:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MAKES SENSE!

in other news:

"Let's not be naïve, we're not talking about a simple political battle; it is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God."

All you shitlords are going to hell, basically.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It was talked about in length in the Pope thread and a pro-gay marriage Pope isn't happening. At the very least this is much better than Turkson who had "Exterminate the gays" on his agenda. At least Francis says to respect gays as people even if he doesn't want them to get married.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RagnarokAngel posted:

It was talked about in length in the Pope thread and a pro-gay marriage Pope isn't happening. At the very least this is much better than Turkson who had "Exterminate the gays" on his agenda. At least Francis says to respect gays as people even if he doesn't want them to get married.

Yea Francis' view is basically 'respect the gays as people but blah blah blah traditional marriage sanctity' which, for a leader of the Catholic church, is a step up. We're a good few popes away from reaching one who's down with gays.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea Francis' view is basically 'respect the gays as people but blah blah blah traditional marriage sanctity' which, for a leader of the Catholic church, is a step up. We're a good few popes away from reaching one who's down with gays.

A dozen at least. And only if they're dragged kicking and screaming by declining numbers of followers.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The big deal is replacing cardinals: you were never going to get a pope who disagreed with JPII or Benedict on those issues because they appointed literally every single cardinal who voted in this papal election. If Francis starts appointing cardinals based on different criteria, the band of likely popes shifts.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

If he does make an attempt to be vaguely respectful to gays as people then it'd be a step up, but so far he seems to have a pretty odd definition of 'respect'. Obviously he was going to oppose gay marriage but saying it was actually devised by Satan is pretty far out there even for the Catholic Church.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

4. "It's not discrimination, it's the definition of the word!"

5. "Discrimination can be good!"

6. "It's discrimination, and rightly so!"

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
Its a tiny bit speculative, but SCOTUSBlog just linked an argument by Jack Balkin about Kennedy and how no one wants to be on the wrong side of history. It's a decent read and offers a, if not sunny, at least lit outlook on the outcome of the prop 8 case.

It also links to this, admittedly self indulgent, imaginary dissent on Brown v. Board of Education as written by Scalia. The argument is that in 20-50 years people are going to look back and say "man, those people who wrote that opinion sure were shitheads" if the majority looks anything like Plessy.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Speaking of being on the wrong side of history. Here's an excellent video of a former GOP state representative from Minnesota urging her fellows to be on the right side of history.

http://www.upworthy.com/must-watch-a-politician-loses-it-and-restores-my-faith-in-humanity

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Baby steps in Rhode Island: http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2013/03/r-i-state-senate-schedules-hearing-on-marriage-equality-bill/

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Rhode Island Senate hearings will be Thursday the 21st.

The House bill will be heard as well as a constitutional amendment allowing marriage equality and re-writing discrimination laws to protect businesses from serving same sex weddings.

The amendment has 4 Dem co-sponsors, including #3 in Senate leadership.
It will go nowhere, but don't forget how terrible the Rhode Island Senate is.

e: Committee breakdown is 4 Yes votes, 4 No votes, and 2 have offered many conflicting statements.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 14, 2013

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Crameltonian posted:

If he does make an attempt to be vaguely respectful to gays as people then it'd be a step up, but so far he seems to have a pretty odd definition of 'respect'. Obviously he was going to oppose gay marriage but saying it was actually devised by Satan is pretty far out there even for the Catholic Church.

Once you learn to correct for the different language, country, and the fact that the average anglophone couldn't care less about the Global South, you'd find that such language isn't actually "far out there" or even that repugnant in comparison.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah as repulsive as it is, it's probably less than par for the course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah as repulsive as it is, it's probably less than par for the course.

I like that we live in a world where we can just be happy that they didn't choose the African Cardinal who literally lobbies for executing homosexuals. It's a "step in the right direction."

• Locked thread