Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

I Before E posted:

What are some must-watch Yoshihiko matches?
--Vs Kota Ibushi (WELCOME TO NEVER LAND 2009 -- 25.10.2009)
--Vs Kenny Omega (DDT DRAMATIC Fantasia #275 -- 05.05.2010)
--Yoshihiko & Danshoku Dino Vs Kota Ibushi & Kenny Omega (MAX BUMP 2009 -- 04.05.2009)
--Yoshihiko & Danshoku Dino vs Antonio Honda & Taka Michinoku (4/5/2009)
--Vs Kazunori Huzioka [MMA Rules Match] (No Date)
--Vs Antonio Honda vs Mr. #6 [3-Way] (No Date)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Why did everyone call Jonathan Coachman "the Coach" was he like a soccer coach as his day job?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Hirams Bitch posted:

Why did everyone call Jonathan Coachman "the Coach" was he like a soccer coach as his day job?

Same reason Mike Mizanin is called "The Miz"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Does anyone remember that tournament that some dude was going to hold (I think in Arizona) with something like 64 wrestlers over a period of 3 days? I think the concept was wins or losses wouldn't matter, instead there would be a panel of judges for each match (maybe Les Thatcher and Bret Hart were two of the judges?) and the guy who was judged to be the better wrestler would advance. On top of that, there was an entry fee so the whole thing sounded like a huge scam.

Did this ever actually happen? Am I imagining things? I swear there was an interview about it on Figure 4 Daily or Observer Radio or something.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It looks like I am not a crazy person, this is a thing that happened:

http://www.johnnymantell.com/2011gwttournament.htm

Given that half of the advertised judges didn't show up and Kahagas went to the finals, this was a very lovely tournament.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MassRanTer posted:

It looks like I am not a crazy person, this is a thing that happened:

http://www.johnnymantell.com/2011gwttournament.htm

Given that half of the advertised judges didn't show up and Kahagas went to the finals, this was a very lovely tournament.

Kahagas is the only wrestler in that tournament I've heard of, and even then only because he recently won the joke of a championship that is the NWA Heavyweight Title

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

oldpainless posted:

Better match: Hbk/Diesel street fight or Hart/Diesel from Survivor Series?

I'd say the street fight. That's probably my favourite Nash match. Bret/Diesel from Survivor Series is, as far as I remember, better than their King of the Ring match but not as good as their Royal Rumble match (screwy non-finish not withstanding). Not sure how it compares to their cage match at the In Your House before WMXII.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Did Steve Corino really pay Paul Heyman $50,000 to be ECW Champ? What are some other good "mark for yourself" stories?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Bigass Moth posted:

Did Steve Corino really pay Paul Heyman $50,000 to be ECW Champ? What are some other good "mark for yourself" stories?

I doubt Corino even has $50k now, much less back then, so I'm guessing that one's a lie.

According to Nash, Hall, and a few others, Bret Hart was willing to work for less than he was worth to the WWF as long as he didn't have to job.

Also, Van Hammer refused the name Private Stash when he was put into that dumb M.I.A. stable because he didn't want to be the lowest military rank.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

CombineThresher posted:

According to Nash, Hall, and a few others, Bret Hart was willing to work for less than he was worth to the WWF as long as he didn't have to job.

I wonder if this is just in the context of the Screwjob, or a general thing Bret did?

I know Bret said to Vince that he would take a paycut to stay with the company, rather than drop the title to Shawn and leave for WCW.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

CombineThresher posted:

Or didn't have to job to people he didn't want to, AKA Creative Control?
Which he already had in the contract he signed in 1996, didn't he?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Skjorte posted:

I somehow got pressured into having to do a 15-20 minute presentation on pro wrestling tommorrow. It's basically just to kill time in the morning before classes begin, so I'm not required to go out of my way to be either informative or entertaining, but I'd like to make it as fun as I can since just about everyone here does martial arts and find my love of pro graps to be hilarious.

Obviously I'll touch on stuff that martial arts people might find interesting, such as Lesnar having been both WWE and UFC champion and some other wrestling/MMA crossover stuff, but I'm mostly aiming to show and talk about some of the more ridiculous sides of wrasslin'. So far I'm thinking of explaining promos by putting on Steiner Math and some of Ultimate Warrior's poetry, showing them a a minute's worth of highlights featuring Yoshitsune and perhaps giving them a 5-second look at an Abdullah Kobayashi match, but otherwise I don't have much material. Any suggestions for short clips that you think are essential viewing (or just potentially funny for non-wrestling fans) and are readily available on Youtube, Dailymotion and the like would be much appreciated.

89 posted:

In another discussion, if you guys made a introduction to pro wrestling compilation that was geared into making a new fan, what would you put on there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhIe9zSq-fM&t=50s

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

triplexpac posted:

I wonder if this is just in the context of the Screwjob, or a general thing Bret did?

I know Bret said to Vince that he would take a paycut to stay with the company, rather than drop the title to Shawn and leave for WCW.

I just finished Wrestling in Shadows last night. The way the movie portrays it is like this:

1 - Bret gets a really big offer from WCW
2 - He is loyal to WWF so talks to Vince.
3 - Vince offers a 20 year contract which Bret accepts.
4 - Vince lets the attitude changeover happen
5 - Bret is asked to turn heel (Hart/Austin double turn match). Bret does it.
6 - Bret goes from biggest face to biggest heel. Still a face in Canada. Heat is anti-US heat.
7 - Bret doesn't like the attitude era changes. Feels stuck because of the role Vince put him in.
8 - Vince rescinds 20 year contract.
9 - Bret signs w/ WCW
10 - Summer Slam - Bret has a contract stipulation giving him creative control over his character. Vince wants him to drop the belt to Michaels. Bret doesn't want to do it in Canada in front of his family and friends. He wants to be able to leave WWF with his head held high. Says he is happy to drop the belt the next night on Raw.
11 - Screw job.

I hope I got this right and I hope it answers any questions.

E: also, the movie is amazing and well worth a watch. Definitely the best wrestling film I've seen. But I've only seen this, Beyond the Mat, The Wrestler and The One and Only. So not a lot to base this on.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 17, 2013

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Bigass Moth posted:

Bret Hart's whole book.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

mactheknife posted:

Bret Hart's whole book.

I still get mad whenever someone dares speak ill about my hero Bret Hart

I wonder if kids today will feel the same way about Cena in 20 years?

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

triplexpac posted:

I still get mad whenever someone dares speak ill about my hero Bret Hart

I wonder if kids today will feel the same way about Cena in 20 years?

I love his work, I don't like him as a person at all.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I thought that Bret tried to get around the screw job by saying he would be happy to drop to Foley or Taker on Survivor Series, or to Michaels on Raw, but he wouldn't combine the two (Michaels at Survivor Series). That was the narrative I think Foley puts forth in his book. They didn't mention it on the Bret vs Shawn DVD so maybe Bret just told Foley that. Anyway, Bret is still not the bad guy in Montreal.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I almost feel like we should have a Montreal Screwjob FAQ/Sticky, so that every time we start to go down this rabbit hole we can just point to that.

Not that I don't love talking about the Hitman, but I swear we had an indepth discussion on Montreal just a month or two ago.

Edit: I see it's mentioned in the OP at least haha

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

triplexpac posted:

I almost feel like we should have a Montreal Screwjob FAQ/Sticky, so that every time we start to go down this rabbit hole we can just point to that.

Not that I don't love talking about the Hitman, but I swear we had an indepth discussion on Montreal just a month or two ago.

Edit: I see it's mentioned in the OP at least haha

I mean, I wasn't only talking about Montreal, but I can see why it'd open that particular can.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Chewy Bitems posted:

Being near totally oblivious to everything that happened in WCW ever, what's the deal with Rick Steiner? I know Scott Steiner went from being bemulleted singlet-technical-skills guy to roidmonster extraordinaire, but what happened to his beardy-helmety brother?

was he just not good anymore & didn't get picked up when WWF bought WCW, that's all I can figure from Wikipedia. was he active in WCW while his brother was seemingly a big deal there or did he disappear back then too?

WWE.com just posted a "where are they now" article about Rick Steiner. It's pretty interesting. He's now a real estate guy!

http://www.wwe.com/classics/wherearetheynow/where-are-they-now-rick-steiner-26107767

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Waltzing Along posted:

I just finished Wrestling in Shadows last night. The way the movie portrays it is like this:

1 - Bret gets a really big offer from WCW
2 - He is loyal to WWF so talks to Vince.
3 - Vince offers a 20 year contract which Bret accepts.
4 - Vince lets the attitude changeover happen
5 - Bret is asked to turn heel (Hart/Austin double turn match). Bret does it.
6 - Bret goes from biggest face to biggest heel. Still a face in Canada. Heat is anti-US heat.
7 - Bret doesn't like the attitude era changes. Feels stuck because of the role Vince put him in.
8 - Vince rescinds 20 year contract.
9 - Bret signs w/ WCW
10 - Summer Slam - Bret has a contract stipulation giving him creative control over his character. Vince wants him to drop the belt to Michaels. Bret doesn't want to do it in Canada in front of his family and friends. He wants to be able to leave WWF with his head held high. Says he is happy to drop the belt the next night on Raw.
11 - Screw job.

I hope I got this right and I hope it answers any questions.

E: also, the movie is amazing and well worth a watch. Definitely the best wrestling film I've seen. But I've only seen this, Beyond the Mat, The Wrestler and The One and Only. So not a lot to base this on.

Your timeline is a bit off. Vince couldn't rescind the contract, it was a guaranteed deal. Vince told Bret he was going to have to breach the deal a bit after Summerslam 97. Bret gets permission to talk to WCW to see if he can get his original deal. At the same time, the WWF has raised the price on IYH PPVs and that money starts coming in during the fall of 97. This additional money takes the WWF from dangerously in the red to mildly profitable. After seeing this, Vince goes to Bret and says "Well, you can stay if you want..." but Bret has already agreed to a deal with WCW.

This automatically triggers a 30 day creative control clause in Bret's contract that gives him reasonable creative control over his character for the last 30 days of his contract if the contract were to end prematurely. Bret still has the WWF title and he doesn't want to lose to Michaels in Montreal. A number of different scenarios are discussed and it is finally agreed that Bret will drop the belt in early December in a 4 way, where Michaels pins someone else to win the belt. This is technically after Bret's WCW contract will begin, but Bischoff agrees. Vince tries to change the details of the title change a few times after and both sides start realizing this is not going to work, so Bret asks to just vacate the title after Survivor Series and leave it at that. Of course, it wasn't meant to be and Montreal happens.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I love how the Montreal Screwjob has gotten to the point where learning about it is about as much fun as learning the tax code.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

MassRanTer posted:

Your timeline is a bit off. Vince couldn't rescind the contract, it was a guaranteed deal. Vince told Bret he was going to have to breach the deal a bit after Summerslam 97. Bret gets permission to talk to WCW to see if he can get his original deal. At the same time, the WWF has raised the price on IYH PPVs and that money starts coming in during the fall of 97. This additional money takes the WWF from dangerously in the red to mildly profitable. After seeing this, Vince goes to Bret and says "Well, you can stay if you want..." but Bret has already agreed to a deal with WCW.

This automatically triggers a 30 day creative control clause in Bret's contract that gives him reasonable creative control over his character for the last 30 days of his contract if the contract were to end prematurely. Bret still has the WWF title and he doesn't want to lose to Michaels in Montreal. A number of different scenarios are discussed and it is finally agreed that Bret will drop the belt in early December in a 4 way, where Michaels pins someone else to win the belt. This is technically after Bret's WCW contract will begin, but Bischoff agrees. Vince tries to change the details of the title change a few times after and both sides start realizing this is not going to work, so Bret asks to just vacate the title after Survivor Series and leave it at that. Of course, it wasn't meant to be and Montreal happens.

Ah, this wasn't in the movie. Thanks for the clarification. What about HHH and Michaels? Was it really a surprise to them? I believed them in the movie.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Ah, this wasn't in the movie. Thanks for the clarification. What about HHH and Michaels? Was it really a surprise to them? I believed them in the movie.

They both have long since admitted to being in on it.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Halloween Jack posted:

I love how the Montreal Screwjob has gotten to the point where learning about it is about as much fun as learning the tax code.

I really couldn't disagree more. I love reading about the ins and outs of it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Goog posted:

I really couldn't disagree more. I love reading about the ins and outs of it.

Is there a single minute of the time period leading up to and immediately following the Screwjob that hasn't been documented and analyzed completely to death? At what point is there literally nothing else to say about it (I would assert that point was reached half a decade ago).

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
As much as I love Bret (as a wrestler, not a person) and hate Shawn (as a person, not a wrestler), Vince and co. did what was best for the company. Yeah, it was slimey, but letting one of their top guys leave on a high-note to the company that's beating you in the ratings is really, really bad for business. If he had left without being pinned, or by vacating, the WWE title would have been devalued a ton and it would create a stigma where the best in the world are in WCW, because Bret conquered the WWF before leaving for them. Of course, from Bret's perspective, he wouldn't want to leave with a clean loss because that devalues his stock, but he sounds like he was at least as much of an rear end in a top hat as Vince about it, if not more, and I don't know if I could justifiably blame Vince for doing what he did.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Bret had it in his contract that he could go out how he saw fit. Vince agreed to this.

How does it make Bret an rear end in a top hat that he laid out exactly how he wanted to go out, Vince agreed, then screwed him over?

If Vince didn't want Bret to go out in a way that benefited Bret, he really shouldn't have agreed to a contract that let Bret do so.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

He offered to drop the belt clean on Raw the next night. There was literally no reason for the screwjob.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Is there a single minute of the time period leading up to and immediately following the Screwjob that hasn't been documented and analyzed completely to death? At what point is there literally nothing else to say about it (I would assert that point was reached half a decade ago).
The Undertaker may have taken Vince's soul, but it wasn't very effective.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Why does anyone hate Bret as a person? His sins are...cheating on his wife? I guess that's bad but he's a saint compared to Vince and the rest of the roster.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

triplexpac posted:

Bret had it in his contract that he could go out how he saw fit. Vince agreed to this.

How does it make Bret an rear end in a top hat that he laid out exactly how he wanted to go out, Vince agreed, then screwed him over?

If Vince didn't want Bret to go out in a way that benefited Bret, he really shouldn't have agreed to a contract that let Bret do so.

I know Vince breached the contract by doing this, but it was the smartest thing to do. Like, I said. It's slimey, but it was a neccessary evil. And trust me, I love Bret. I mark for pretty much every Canadian wrestler all the way down to Frankie the Mobster, but the fact that he would drop it to Taker/Foley but not Shawn in Canada shows that he didn't give a poo poo about losing in front of a home crowd as much as he wanted to stick it to Shawn (if that's all true). Even if it's not, Vince still made the right call in my opinion.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

triplexpac posted:

"reasonable creative control" doesn't mean "goes how however he wants". Vince thought "Lose your last match on PPV" was reasonable. Because of the opponent and the location, Bret disagreed. That's the entire problem.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Was there ever an attempt to take Vince to court for violation of the contract's terms?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

oldskool posted:

"reasonable creative control" doesn't mean "goes how however he wants". Vince thought "Lose your last match on PPV" was reasonable. Because of the opponent and the location, Bret disagreed. That's the entire problem.

True, I guess that's fair enough. I thought he had full creative control.

I guess we need to discuss the Screwjob more after all :allears: haha

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Perdido posted:

Was there ever an attempt to take Vince to court for violation of the contract's terms?

I'd like to think the judge would laugh. Or possibly stare as the Undertaker takes the stand and Paul Bearer goes all out with his urn shooting light everywhere.

Nah, probably some stigmata on taking to court. Never work in the industry again, etc.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Let's remember the most important thing about Montreal.
Nash and Hall got yet another raise from WCW.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

oatgan posted:

He offered to drop the belt clean on Raw the next night. There was literally no reason for the screwjob.

Bullshit, PPVs are way more grander a stage than a regular old Monday Night RAW. The Screwjob set the stage for Vince to be history's greatest dirtbag, and it was a huge reason for WWF's success over WCW. "Bret screwed Bret" was loving magical, and then having him face Austin was let's face it, probably the greatest wrestling will ever be.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

what the gently caress are you talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Jefferoo posted:

Bullshit, PPVs are way more grander a stage than a regular old Monday Night RAW. The Screwjob set the stage for Vince to be history's greatest dirtbag, and it was a huge reason for WWF's success over WCW. "Bret screwed Bret" was loving magical, and then having him face Austin was let's face it, probably the greatest wrestling will ever be.;

When Vince decided to go through with it "This is gonna win us the war!!!" never entered his mind so I guess I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here.