Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Marvel posted:

Well, what I helped him do was this:

Take door trim off, pull back carpet, unplug TCU, use a toothbrush with some alcohol on it to scrub the connectors. There was also a tiny bit of corrosion on the TCU board itself.

There's no sunroof on this car but everything corrodes here due to the ocean air.

You should also be putting a light coating of dielectric grease on the pins as well as around the connector itself where it plugs in. It's non-conductive and non-reactive and will seal it from moisture. Anything you put on the pins will get "wiped" off where the need to make contact (all of those types of pins are self-cleaning).

Marvel posted:

I'm still worried about the transmission "slipping" - that's really bad right? Is there an easy way to tell if this is happening or if it's just limp mode?

Yeah, that's really bad. But I'm not sure how to explain what it feels like nor would I want to attempt to diagnose it while you still have obvious TCU/connectivity issues.

Marvel posted:

How do I check that? Do I need a million tools and a lift or can I just crawl under the car with a flashlight on the side of the road?

It's on the transmission right where the lever moves when you change the gear it's in. Open the hood and look in there. Have someone else shift through the gears until you see what moves. Follow the electrical wire on the sensor that's on/around the parts that moves and see if you can unplug/clean/apply dielectric grease to it.

Inspect the wiring as far back as you can for damage. You can even test with a multimeter from those pins to the pins on the plug going to the TCU to verify that there are no shorts and that it has continuity if it comes to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
As dumb as this might sound, check the transmission fluid level. If it is low, it's going to shift rough and generally not act right.

As far as the guy with the first gear issue, I find that 5mph or less is the sweet spot for going into first with no effort. If you are at a dead stop and have issues with first, go second > first, this lines everything up. You get used to this driving an old rear end aircooler with worn out syncros.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Well I don't need to worry about the passenger headlight for a bit.

Got into a fender-bender this afternoon after a lady infront of me on an off-ramp didn't actually go like I thought she had. I ended up side-swiping her and doing some damage to my passenger side door, as well as front-quarter panel on that side. Nothing too major and everyone was ok, but goddamned did I feel dumb.

Taking it to my insurance company tomorrow and hopefully they can have it fixed quickly since nothing major seems wrong.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

real_scud posted:

Well I don't need to worry about the passenger headlight for a bit.

Got into a fender-bender this afternoon after a lady infront of me on an off-ramp didn't actually go like I thought she had. I ended up side-swiping her and doing some damage to my passenger side door, as well as front-quarter panel on that side. Nothing too major and everyone was ok, but goddamned did I feel dumb.

Taking it to my insurance company tomorrow and hopefully they can have it fixed quickly since nothing major seems wrong.

I did the same thing in my S2000. I thought the woman was going to continue turning right at a green light and, well, she didn't. I was looking to clear traffic and when I looked back forward I slammed the brakes just in time to nose dive my already low to the ground nose under her SUV. I scratched her trailer hitch, and mangled the poo poo out of my beautiful out of production S2000. I too felt like a complete dumbshit. Sorry you are now in that dark place, glad everyone was OK, and now the body shop can replace that light bulb for you.

Marvel
Jun 9, 2010
Reading back through the thread, it looks like Neon Machete had the EXACT same symptoms my friend's car is having about a zillion pages back. He even had the same CEL code!

He claims it's because his turbos dumped fluid all over his transmission electronics. Wonder where that would be / how to check.

Edit: here's his second-to-last post before disappearing from the forums:

Neon Machete posted:

My 2.7T Tiptronic A6 had been having a rough time shifting. It would take a while to downshift, and when it did, it would be really rough. Trying to get going from a stop would be hard sometimes because the car would act as if it was in neutral and would take a second to get in gear. I figured it was a transmission fluid issue so I made an appointment with a local shop to get the fluid serviced.

I was coming up my driveway the day before the appointment with the transmission in limp mode. It could barely make the incline and was making a high pitched grinding noise, when all of the sudden I heard a noise sort of like running over a glass bottle and the car turned off, pouring out smoke. I looked under the car and all of my transmission fluid was pouring onto the ground. The car starts but won't go into gear - duh, it doesn't have any transmission fluid.

That doesn't sound good.

Marvel fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 23, 2013

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Oh boy, just got a voicemail that the dealership is engaging VW engineering, because they can't figure out what the gently caress with the wife's passat on a vaccuum issue we've been trying to fix the last few weeks. :v:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So it sounds like the timing chain in my 01 GTI VR6 let go meaning I need a new or rebuilt engine. Local shop that I had it towed to is quoting me 5 grand for a used VR6 with 80k on the clock installed which seems ballpark for a new engine, if not a high.

Buying a new car is out since I returned to school full time last Fall and 5 grand is only going to get me another 10 year old shitheap with unknown history so new engine it is. Guess I'm looking for advice on where to source a replacement motor (hopefully rebuilt) and what I should expect to do on labor for an engine swap.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Am I good following this mk5 diy brake guide on a mk6 2010 Golf TDI?

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40013

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I just followed it to do my front and rear brakes and replaced my noisy rear hubs.
Be aware that you'll need the 14 mm triple square bit to get the rear carriers off and they are a bitch to break loose.
I ended up ordering one from snap-on since I couldn't find one locally anywhere.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Got the insurance quote after the accident with my 06 A4. Going to be about a week and the quote was for about $1500 and change.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

real_scud posted:

Got the insurance quote after the accident with my 06 A4. Going to be about a week and the quote was for about $1500 and change.

Must not have been a big accident. I was out for almost 6 weeks when my GLI got sideswiped and jammed into a concrete barrier.

Got any pics?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Must not have been a big accident. I was out for almost 6 weeks when my GLI got sideswiped and jammed into a concrete barrier.

Got any pics?
Yeah it wasn't that bad really. I was going about 5mph when I scraped the other car, basically replacing the door panel, front quarter panel and maybe the front bumper.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Ya, mine basically required new suspension on the front passenger side, new bumper/hood/both fenders, mirror.

Halligan
Apr 7, 2013
Not sure if there's any VW employees out there reading this but any input would be appreciated.

I'm considering some college courses that partner with VW to train new workers in Car Mechatronics and Automation Mechatronics (yes that's actually a word). Automation Mech mostly deals with the assembly of cars but I'm more interested in Car Mech which is more along the lines of QA and fixing defective cars before they go to dealerships. It's a three year course but the last year is paid time working in a plant plus VW buys all your tools.

On the contrary I've heard VW keeps pretty long hours for employees and most of their management even in the US is German making communication difficult.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

DoktorLoken posted:

So it sounds like the timing chain in my 01 GTI VR6 let go meaning I need a new or rebuilt engine. Local shop that I had it towed to is quoting me 5 grand for a used VR6 with 80k on the clock installed which seems ballpark for a new engine, if not a high.

Buying a new car is out since I returned to school full time last Fall and 5 grand is only going to get me another 10 year old shitheap with unknown history so new engine it is. Guess I'm looking for advice on where to source a replacement motor (hopefully rebuilt) and what I should expect to do on labor for an engine swap.

Is it a VW shop or just a general auto shop? A VW shop might be able to come across something better. You might want to check the classifieds on VWVortex as well to see what used VR6's are going for. I wouldn't be surprised if you can get them fairly cheap since there are quite a few donor cars.

edit: In a really quick search I'm finding built VRT's and the engine out of a mk5 R32 in the $4000 range, so a regular old VR6 should be well under that. Labor shouldn't be that much...

fknlo fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 27, 2013

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Okay, I am at a road block here so lets see if you guys can help me figure this out. This is a 1995 Volkswagen Carburettor engine 1.8ltr Engine code ADF 026.2. It is a LPG engine used in a Zamboni.

The problem:
-Engine will turn over, idles rough, and then dies. Sometimes will run indefinably, sometimes dies after a few seconds. Increasing throttle causes engine to immediatly shut off.
-Oil in #4 cylinder, fouled plug

What I have tried:
-Tested battery, battery is fine
-Renewed air filter
-Renewed plugs, seemed to run better at first but after sitting for 24hr problem continues as before.
-Cleaned out IMPCO LPG carberator.. was not overly dirty, have not tried to run engine after this yet.

The fouled plug I am not too worried about as I believe it is the valve stem seal, which I will probably be replacing soon. The machine, as far as I know, was running normal before the first incident of the engine cutting off. A few months ago we replaced the spark plug wires as one of the wires came out of the boot.. I believe the #3 cylinder.

Help..

Good pic of what I am dealing with..

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

Halligan posted:

Not sure if there's any VW employees out there reading this but any input would be appreciated.

I'm considering some college courses that partner with VW to train new workers in Car Mechatronics and Automation Mechatronics (yes that's actually a word). Automation Mech mostly deals with the assembly of cars but I'm more interested in Car Mech which is more along the lines of QA and fixing defective cars before they go to dealerships. It's a three year course but the last year is paid time working in a plant plus VW buys all your tools.

On the contrary I've heard VW keeps pretty long hours for employees and most of their management even in the US is German making communication difficult.

Are you talking about the program they are advertising in Chattanooga? I saw that when driving up to Knoxville from Atlanta. Their plant there is massive, and looked pretty cool from the special that aired on discovery or nat geo... can't remember which station.

That said, I work for a multinational company in manufacturing and we have a significant footprint in Germany. The hours I see the workers there working are not really long, they just expect you to come to work, actually WORK, and then go home. If you are in management, then you are expected to make yourself available when required for after hours calls in other time zones etc, and you generally pull a longer day because of it. Don't forget though that they get 14 holiday days a year, and 6 WEEKS of vacation. When your company says go home, go to the beach, we don't care, don't call or write, for two months a year... You are usually OK with the rigorous expectations when you are at work. Most people in Europe also speak English to a certain extent. The ones in management all do so quite well from my experience. Those that don't... speak slowly. It has a lot to do with relationships. German companies operating in the US must follow US labor laws, so don't expect the 6 weeks, or any holidays that are not common for any other US based job.

In general manufacturing companies often have what seem like long hours, because the plants run 24/7 and carry an extremely high output rate if they intend to be at all profitable. Process automation engineering is also a very niche skill set, that will pretty much always be in demand so long as we build things and use machines to aid in automating the workforce... IE forever. I am not one, I know a lot of them.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Successfully replaced my engine air filter and spark plugs for the first time. The air filter was actually tougher than the spark plugs, because there was so much stuff in the way of the air box. Had to remove an air duct (got the snow screen cleaned up while I was in there), the air box heat shield, and disconnect two hoses just to get in there and open it up. Plus side: Audi dealer quoted me $400 for the plugs and $210 for the air filter. Was able to find all OEM replacement parts online for about $70.

Waiting on my tax returns before I start calling around for estimates on replacing the belts. Thanks for the tips on replacing the easy stuff myself guys.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Blakkout posted:

Audi dealer quoted me $400 for the plugs

...wow... That's a pretty impressive markup.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

Blakkout posted:

Successfully replaced my engine air filter and spark plugs for the first time. The air filter was actually tougher than the spark plugs, because there was so much stuff in the way of the air box. Had to remove an air duct (got the snow screen cleaned up while I was in there), the air box heat shield, and disconnect two hoses just to get in there and open it up. Plus side: Audi dealer quoted me $400 for the plugs and $210 for the air filter. Was able to find all OEM replacement parts online for about $70.

Waiting on my tax returns before I start calling around for estimates on replacing the belts. Thanks for the tips on replacing the easy stuff myself guys.

No problem, feels good to save a truckload of cash and accomplish something like that on your own! That $400 for the plugs is just :a2m: I really want to believe they would be replacing the coil packs as well at that price, but drat. $210 for the air filter might even be worse.

Timing belt is going to be pricey. The parts are ~$400, but the hours of labor involved will bump it up. Check out that independent shop and a few others as well, and you should be able to find a palatable price for the work.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/3720625194.html

Thoughts on the price / how this would be as a beater?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

BlackMK4 posted:

Maybe if they would take 2000. That car is a shitboxxxx

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

ABS Delete
SAI Delete
Heater core bypassed
Needs a stereo and paint, recommend replacing the tires.

That car is a complete shitbox that I would have a hard time buying above scrap value. It's hilarious that some of those are listed as if they are some sort of good thing.

Think of what else wasn't disclosed in the ad and/or the level of maintenance done to something that's in this state.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Horrible mechanical failures surely inbound:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

At least you have the powertrain warranty still, which would cover the HPFP.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I guess you are right. It should instead be "Annoying yet intermittent and thus impossible to track down electrical gremlins inbound".

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Motronic posted:

ABS Delete
SAI Delete
Heater core bypassed
Needs a stereo and paint, recommend replacing the tires.

That car is a complete shitbox that I would have a hard time buying above scrap value. It's hilarious that some of those are listed as if they are some sort of good thing.

Think of what else wasn't disclosed in the ad and/or the level of maintenance done to something that's in this state.

Good call. I shouldn't car browse while drunk anymore.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
I'm considering buying a 09 Rabbit (Golf) 2 door 5 speed with 40k miles on it. My question, in the VW thread, is, should I?

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
I guess I have a real question. Wikipedia says there are two versions, a 150 and a 170 horsepower version. When I go look at it, how can I tell which engine it has?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

gnrk posted:

I guess I have a real question. Wikipedia says there are two versions, a 150 and a 170 horsepower version. When I go look at it, how can I tell which engine it has?

Since you say it's a 2009, it will have the 170-hp version of the 2.5L I5.

Wikipedia posted:

United States and Canada-spec Rabbits use the same 2.5L five-cylinder gasoline engine that powers the Jetta and New Beetle in these markets, making 150 hp (110 kW) and 170 lb·ft (230 N·m) in 2006-2007 models, and 170 hp (130 kW) and 177 lb·ft (240 N·m) from 2008 onward.

As far as whether to buy it, all the usual caveats apply; get maintenance records, drive the car, have a mechanic or mechanically-inclined friend inspect the car for hidden issues. The 2.5L engine is reliable but uninspiring and may return worse fuel economy than you might expect from a compact hatchback.

chutwig fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 4, 2013

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Does anyone have opinions on the 2013 Golf R? I've been shopping around and have test drove the MazdaSpeed3, GTI, Focus ST and now the Golf R. The Golf R was my absolute favorite and I fell in love with it over the weekend. I realize the cost puts you in Audi territory, along with WRXs but I don't know if I can help myself :allears:

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Does anyone have opinions on the 2013 Golf R? I've been shopping around and have test drove the MazdaSpeed3, GTI, Focus ST and now the Golf R. The Golf R was my absolute favorite and I fell in love with it over the weekend. I realize the cost puts you in Audi territory, along with WRXs but I don't know if I can help myself :allears:

They are very nice. And you are right, it does get into the A3 price range. I really do not understand why they went with options on this without offering DSG, but at the same time, you cannot get an A3 with a manual and AWD. I have really only 1 annoyance when I looked at them, and this is because I've had it in several cars. The rear view mirror is not auto-dimming. The 2008 R32 had that, but it went missing on this. A bizarre decision.

If you want to race it, there are complaints over the traction control system. This has to be disabled through programming and not a long button press, like you see on most cars. But if you are doing that, you are probably getting your engine tuned as well, so I don't see the issue. Traction control really has no bearing on normal driving, if it kicks in on these haldex cars, it is probably saving you from understeering into a car or curb.

Autotrader is listing 670 new Golf R's, you should be able to get the color and options you want on a new one still. These were to be a 5,000 run limited edition, I'm not sure if the factory is still making them or if what is on the lots now is the last of the run.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Phuzun posted:

They are very nice. And you are right, it does get into the A3 price range. I really do not understand why they went with options on this without offering DSG, but at the same time, you cannot get an A3 with a manual and AWD. I have really only 1 annoyance when I looked at them, and this is because I've had it in several cars. The rear view mirror is not auto-dimming. The 2008 R32 had that, but it went missing on this. A bizarre decision.

If you want to race it, there are complaints over the traction control system. This has to be disabled through programming and not a long button press, like you see on most cars. But if you are doing that, you are probably getting your engine tuned as well, so I don't see the issue. Traction control really has no bearing on normal driving, if it kicks in on these haldex cars, it is probably saving you from understeering into a car or curb.

Autotrader is listing 670 new Golf R's, you should be able to get the color and options you want on a new one still. These were to be a 5,000 run limited edition, I'm not sure if the factory is still making them or if what is on the lots now is the last of the run.

I was looking at a white one when I took my Golf in for its 20k a few weeks back. Awesome cars, I just can't justify half the fuel economy for AWD and leather and adding 15k to my payment. I was out the door for 24k with my Golf TDI and honestly, it's about 75% as much fun as I imagine the GolfR is. The Golf R costs as much as an A3, but you can only get a stick in fwd on the A3 and I think the GolfR is a better looking car.

If you haven't already, check out the TDI Golf, 40+ mpg with 240lb/ft of torque, almost the same as the GolfR, just no top end horsepower. Unless you actually plan to make a few 130mph+ pulls with it, you'll never really use the power of the GolfR, at least that's how I feel about it. Plus I'm not a fan of leather.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I feel like the Mk6 is still worth buying, even with the Mk7 on the way, but with how much better the Mk7 GTI supposedly is vs the Mk6 I'm sure the R is going to be a cracker. With the S3 not coming to the USA in hatch form the R is probably going to fill that niche.

If I were to buy a Mk6 right now (again) I'd have to get a really good deal on it (again.)

We're also so close to the new WRX unveil that I'd probably wait until I knew what that was going to be.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Phuzun posted:

Yeah I'd like to say I'd autocross/race it, but that will really just be me hoonin' around some country roads. I have looked into what is needed to turn the traction control completely off and into the "Stage 1" or whatever ECU tuning (301-ish HP) but really, it would be like a small GT car with how I'd drive it. I'd probably never bring it to a proper track nor would I actually purchase the tuning bits.

I have seen in a few places that VW have stated they'll make as many Rs for the USA as they need (as opposed to a 5000k limit), which is nice because I'd like a 5-door white with the sunroof and nav option. And I have looked at the Gold TDIs veedubfreak, but it didn't 'grab' me like the R did. I know the numbers, I know the prices, I know they are essentially the same car, but I lust after the R.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Personally if you're getting it as a GT and not planning interior mods, and it's not -that- much more money, I'd just get the A3. Nicer inside from day 1, identical from a chipping perspective. I prefer the DSG but no sense beating that dead horse here.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Personally if you're getting it as a GT and not planning interior mods, and it's not -that- much more money, I'd just get the A3. Nicer inside from day 1, identical from a chipping perspective. I prefer the DSG but no sense beating that dead horse here.

Right but I'm a manual guy so the Audi is out w/ AWD. I also like the R better from a looks perspective, and while I can't honestly compare the interiors of the R and A3 since I haven't been in the A3 the Golf R is very nice. To get a similar A3 (with the S-Tronic) pops it out to over 40 grand, and I'm down 50-some HP and a bunch of torque. On top of *that* A3's are a dime a dozen here.
I can justify the 5k~ or so price jump with the GTI Autobahn to the R, but the 5k~ jump further to the A3 which seems to me more of a fancy GTI with AWD vs. a different engined Golf with a fancy R. And blue needles.

EDIT
Now if I could get an S3....

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 9, 2013

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
You'll be able to get the S3 sedan when they update it, but no hatch. Doesn't sound like any A3 hatches are coming when they refresh, which is too bad because the new A3/S3 has ~*the perfect interior*~.

Also,

KakerMix posted:

On top of *that* A3's are a dime a dozen here. .

has to be SF, right? I used to play a game where I'd see how many A3's were on the way between wherever me and my friend were going, it was always at least ten.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 10, 2013

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Does anyone have opinions on the 2013 Golf R?

In february I got a Rising Blue 5-door for my wife's daily driver. I have put about 2000 miles on it myself just for joyriding and I enjoy it very much. She said she wouldn't mind a little more torque so I got the APR stage 1 tune put on and now I'd say it's easily as fast as my 2010 S4 when it was stock; and I tend to be really sensitive of turbo lag since I'm used to the supercharged S4, but it's minimal in the R.

I then installed the Euro LED tail lights and the integrated reverse camera for her and I'd say that except for full-power seats it is now feature-parity with an S3 (S3 doesn't even have adaptive headlights as a standard feature). The ride height is a bit high but I don't mind it.

Based on your post I'd say you would really like one, if you can find it. Aren't they all sold by this point?

Edit:
Oh yeah, the stock all-season tires are kindof bad in the warmer spring weather, so add the cost of a set of summers to whatever price you get.

PoopinClumpin fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

You'll be able to get the S3 sedan when they update it, but no hatch. Doesn't sound like any A3 hatches are coming when they refresh, which is too bad because the new A3/S3 has ~*the perfect interior*~.

Also,

has to be SF, right? I used to play a game where I'd see how many A3's were on the way between wherever me and my friend were going, it was always at least ten.
If I had my choice I'd have an M5 touring, so yeah, gotta be a hatch. And no, I'm in Florida, Sarasota area. Lots of 1 series BMWs and Audi A3s around because those are both the cheapest badge fees around.

PoopinClumpin posted:

In february I got a Rising Blue 5-door for my wife's daily driver. I have put about 2000 miles on it myself just for joyriding and I enjoy it very much. She said she wouldn't mind a little more torque so I got the APR stage 1 tune put on and now I'd say it's easily as fast as my 2010 S4 when it was stock; and I tend to be really sensitive of turbo lag since I'm used to the supercharged S4, but it's minimal in the R.

I then installed the Euro LED tail lights and the integrated reverse camera for her and I'd say that except for full-power seats it is now feature-parity with an S3 (S3 doesn't even have adaptive headlights as a standard feature). The ride height is a bit high but I don't mind it.

Based on your post I'd say you would really like one, if you can find it. Aren't they all sold by this point?
That sounds rad, and follows with what I imagine could happen in regards to the tune. There are 4~ within 50 miles of me, 1 local and the others in Tampa. None are optioned out how I'd like, so if I can't get what I am after then I get to pick from what there is. Which is fine, because the drat car is so nice.