Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I don't think what actually happened at Benghazi or what the State department did after or even what the GOP thinks happened matters. This entire affair is just an excuse to act outraged and try and create a "where there's smoke there's fire" situation so the base can be riled up in anger which is what their base does over everything and to deflect attention away from the poo poo show for a job Congress is doing on everything. I'm not sure how much this will actually help people since it doesn't sound like anyone not already pissed about voter fraud and Obamaphones cares about it at all. Maybe after two years of complaining they are not getting the answers to questions they aren't asking while while Fox News and every conservative political cartoonist and editorial writer complains that the media isn't covering it that might change so I guess we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

They've already succeeded. We need to remember the Republicans are in the business of manufacturing narratives. Narratives can become reality if they're pushed hard enough. For a substantial percentage of people already, Benghazi is a real controversy. Heck, you've got long serving, senior Senators (Inhofe) saying it's worse than Watergate! The facts of the matter are almost irrelevant, when a compliant media will push Republican efforts at reality making.

They construct reality to serve their political goals - which is "obstruct Democrats". When out of power. When in power, there's a different narrative, and thus Fox News will instantly turn into a 24/7 pro-Government media outlet.

They also do this to change the past - Libya was a successful endeavor for the Obama Administration. Does it seem that way? Hell no! OUTRAGE! COVERUP! SMOKE AND FIRE!

They're really good at this. "Chillingly" so.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

But will that result in anything? Getting outraged white people to the polls in staggeringly easy. If Benghazi never happened they would have figured out some way to make the Boston Bombing into how Obama let in some terrorist family into the country (before he was elected) and then under his watch the GREATEST TERRORIST ATTACK ON US SOIL SINCE 9/11 happened. Their Benghazi noise machine didn't get Romney elected and didn't sweep the Senate or Congress. What will get them back in total power is not only to keep their base in a fevered state of constant paranoia and anger (which they are good at) but to get enough of the Democratic voters to stay home.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
And besides, the IRS thing is a much better scandal for the right in the long run. The hard right already loathes the IRS and now they have a source telling them that the IRS was targeting them because of it? They couldn't have asked for a better situation to have for raising campaign funds.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

OAquinas posted:

Don't forget the cargoplanes (ok ok, they meant AC-130s) that were totally stationed in the area and ready to go....a year before for the Libyan revolution. They probably have been sitting there idle since, I'm sure.

Or the F16s in Italy that could afterburn all the way down to Libya and not run out of gas while providing CAS in a residential area.

Or the 4 man team in Tripoli that could have HALO jumped on surfboards down. If 2 ex-seals held off platoons by themselves for hours, 6 probably could have leveled the city!

They should have called in the XCOM.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Radish posted:

But will that result in anything? Getting outraged white people to the polls in staggeringly easy. If Benghazi never happened they would have figured out some way to make the Boston Bombing into how Obama let in some terrorist family into the country (before he was elected) and then under his watch the GREATEST TERRORIST ATTACK ON US SOIL SINCE 9/11 happened. Their Benghazi noise machine didn't get Romney elected and didn't sweep the Senate or Congress. What will get them back in total power is not only to keep their base in a fevered state of constant paranoia and anger (which they are good at) but to get enough of the Democratic voters to stay home.

And that's why the second prong of the strategy is voter suppression and gerrymandering by state Republican parties.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Voter suppression seemed to actually invigorate the people they were trying to marginalize at least last Presidential election and they already control what their rural advantage and gerrymandered districts benefit from but we'll see what happens since it seems like the plan is to double down on those types of tactics in an off year.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What's crazy is there was a mass shooting yesterday at a Mother's Day parade in New Orleans and the suspects are at large and no one is loving talking about it. It isn't even front page news on google or bing anymore, it was foot a little while, but Benghazi and IRS were always above it.

I mean Jesus, sixteen people shot at a mother's day parade and no one gives a poo poo.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

greatn posted:

What's crazy is there was a mass shooting yesterday at a Mother's Day parade in New Orleans and the suspects are at large and no one is loving talking about it. It isn't even front page news on google or bing anymore, it was foot a little while, but Benghazi and IRS were always above it.

I mean Jesus, sixteen people shot at a mother's day parade and no one gives a poo poo.

It was with a gun, not a bomb.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

greatn posted:

Uh I think you'll find those were feral blacks and therefore not people.

Mitchicon posted:

It was with a gun, not a bomb.

This too

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 13, 2013

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Isn't the FBI calling the mothers day shooting gang related? Business as usual in other words.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Miltank posted:

Isn't the FBI calling the mothers day shooting gang related? Business as usual in other words.

That's just what they said about Benghazi. When is the President going to stop protecting Napolitano's political career? :bahgawd:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
If someone bringsup Benghazi, what should I say?
I want to say something implausibly :tinfoil: like "Isn't that where Paul Ryan led a kill team to take out our consulate?" Or "Isn't that where Mitt Romney sold the guard schedule for a quick buck?"
Or maybe just something about cutting the security budget?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Rockopolis posted:

I want to say something implausibly :tinfoil: like "Isn't that where Paul Ryan led a kill team to take out our consulate?" Or "Isn't that where Mitt Romney sold the guard schedule for a quick buck?"

The truth. Every question being asked has been answered definitively and Republicans are only bringing this up to try to hurt Sec. Clinton should she run for President in 2016

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rockopolis posted:

"Shut the gently caress up"

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I was watching the testimony, and this Hicks stooge was saying something along the lines of "well sure air support in a residential area is a bad idea, but we could have scared them away with a close flyby!"

Does he think they were dealing with Tusken Raiders?

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Goatman Sacks posted:

I was watching the testimony, and this Hicks stooge was saying something along the lines of "well sure air support in a residential area is a bad idea, but we could have scared them away with a close flyby!"

Does he think they were dealing with Tusken Raiders?

This is a regular tactic in Afghanistan and it's rare that it doesn't work. We call it a SoF (Show of Force) and it is generally used before bombs are employed unless the situation is really bad when fighters get on site. The problem is the fighters couldn't possibly get there in time.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Something that's really bizzare about the Bennghazi narrative is that its soley framed as "US Consulate attacked in a country" as if the fact that it was in Libya, mere months after that country had gone through a violent uprising, is totally irrelevant. Libya was and still is hardly a stable nation. Armed factions were still (and are still) roaming that country, ruling strips of land. Its not like as if the consulate in Belgium was suddenly shelled out of nowhere, it was a in a war torn nation with thousands of armed men, with differing agendas, walking around. Honestly, I would be surprised if it WASN'T attacked.

Also the whole "didn't call it terrorism" narrative: Is attacking a building occupied by a foreign nation in your country, which is known to house soldiers (and CIA) really not just An Attack? You could argue that all attacks, civilian or military, are terrorism, but thats clearly not whats being discussed. At what point does targeting military and other government agents not simple a (wildly asystematical) attack?

Also, to say nothing of that fact that the Libyans themselves helped the US personnel escape the building and hunt down the people who did it.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Terrorism used to mean attacks on civilians meant to inspire fear and destroy their feeling of safety. Instead it just means "attacking a military base of a country well known for committing terrorist acts against civilians".

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I know how the Republicans insisting with all their little boy's heart that this be a real thing can actually make it a real thing.
But do they have polls confirming that more people are taking them seriously on Benghazi than on the day they first got to work on it? If a good poll says that their efforts to "make it stick" have ultimately been a failure, I wonder if we can just stop talking about it. It's just so oppressively stupid. I am apparently a proud man and it insults and demeans me to see my country unable to shake it. The dumb depths they'll have to sink to to get every last Republican on board is going to piss off and inflame Democrats to an extent not seen since the first Gingrich years.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Obama is visiting New York City for a few private DNC fundraisers. Get ready for a lot of "HOBNOBBING WITH THE LIBERAL ELITE" stuff to pop up. Apparently only Republicans are allowed to raise money.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Somehow I doubt that would have reduced the casualties considering every single xcom mission ever

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rockopolis posted:

Ask them which country it's in. Then ask them to find that country on a map you pull out of your pocket. Anyone who is still stuck on Benghazi at this point will fail one or both of these tests.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Obama: soft on Libyans, soft on alien defense.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Good Citizen posted:

Somehow I doubt that would have reduced the casualties considering every single xcom mission ever

Sounds like some scrub poo poo to me.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

agarjogger posted:

I know how the Republicans insisting with all their little boy's heart that this be a real thing can actually make it a real thing.
But do they have polls confirming that more people are taking them seriously on Benghazi than on the day they first got to work on it? If a good poll says that their efforts to "make it stick" have ultimately been a failure, I wonder if we can just stop talking about it. It's just so oppressively stupid. I am apparently a proud man and it insults and demeans me to see my country unable to shake it. The dumb depths they'll have to sink to to get every last Republican on board is going to piss off and inflame Democrats to an extent not seen since the first Gingrich years.

I'm not sure actually making it stick matters as much as just putting a general stink in the air. Just give people an intuitive "gut feeling" that the President is a big dummy who can't do anything right and it's easier to block his agenda (Which can also makes him look like a big dummy who can't do anything right) and gets people to vote for the opposition party.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

redshirt posted:

They've already succeeded. We need to remember the Republicans are in the business of manufacturing narratives. Narratives can become reality if they're pushed hard enough. For a substantial percentage of people already, Benghazi is a real controversy.

This can't be said enough. They're astoundingly good at it. They should be. It's all they do and have done for the last 25 - 30 years. For all the talk I hear about "where is the mainstream media on Benghazi?", all I can think to say is "everywhere!" It's being covered to death. This is Whitewater again, isn't it? They're going to impeach Obama.

edit:

Is there a Benghazi thread? A lot of D&D threads are crossing over hard into the subject. Seems like someone should start one.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

OAquinas posted:

Don't forget the cargoplanes (ok ok, they meant AC-130s) that were totally stationed in the area and ready to go....a year before for the Libyan revolution. They probably have been sitting there idle since, I'm sure.

Or the F16s in Italy that could afterburn all the way down to Libya and not run out of gas while providing CAS in a residential area.

Or the 4 man team in Tripoli that could have HALO jumped on surfboards down. If 2 ex-seals held off platoons by themselves for hours, 6 probably could have leveled the city!

If only there had once been an incident in which a team was sent in to rescue Americans without having a full understanding on the situation and it had ended poorly. And if only they'd written a book about it. And if only they'd made a major motion picture about it. Maybe then these people would understand.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

tadashi posted:

If only there had once been an incident in which a team was sent in to rescue Americans without having a full understanding on the situation and it had ended poorly. And if only they'd written a book about it. And if only they'd made a major motion picture about it. Maybe then these people would understand.

Yeah but that happened under Reagan's protege. So it's okay.

edit

Wait. Was Mogadishu in 92 or 93? Was Clinton president yet?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Yeah but that happened under Reagan's protege. So it's okay.

edit

Wait. Was Mogadishu in 92 or 93? Was Clinton president yet?

Black Hawk Down happened on Clinton's watch, although Bush the Elder started the intervention in Somalia.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

I thought we were talking about Operation Eagle Claw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Eagle_Claw

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

tadashi posted:

Considering one of the four killed in Benghazi was part of a hastily put together team that flew in from Tripoli we don't even have to look at past events, just the event in question.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

HaitianDivorce posted:

Obama: soft on Libyans

Obama did Doc Brown!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Fox News Media Darling Ted Nugent decided to write a column about immigration for WND Magazine

quote:

The Nuge Immigration Plan (NIP) takes five years for even illegal immigrants to become Americans. Until then, they should be treated like indentured servants, meaning that they have to earn their citizenship.

The NIP is not an amnesty program. Amnesty is for left-wing mollycoddlers, losers, bureaucrats and hippies. Occupy that.

We need a real full-length, undefeatable border fence built. All illegal men in America should be required to work on building the fence, to be completed in one year. We would pay them minimum wage, provide food and shelter, and provide them English and American history classes at night. Everyone wins.

Any man or woman who is a known member of a street rat gang will be tossed out of the country and is not eligible to return. If he or she is caught re-entering America, we will apply Sheriff Joe Arpaio justice.

Illegal aliens trying to become an American are not eligible for any state or federal crack welfare during the five-year Nuge immigration probationary period. None. When the going gets tough, the tough Wango ze Tango.

The anchor baby scam should be immediately rescinded. You don't need to be a constitutional expert like our president to know that the original intent of the 14th Amendment was not to provide citizenship to illegal women or their babies who are born on American soil.

Our massively ignorant, politically correct, terminally boondoggled juggernaut of a federal government should immediately cease printing any signs or literature in Spanish or any other language.

The most racist thing our government does is to print literature in Spanish, thereby encouraging people not to learn English and deny themselves all the American Dream has to offer.

Where do you even begin? Indentured Servitude returning to the US of A, anchor babies, ENGLISH ONLY!!

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Fox News Media Darling Ted Nugent decided to write a column about immigration for WND Magazine

Where do you even begin? Indentured Servitude returning to the US of A, anchor babies, ENGLISH ONLY!!

I'm not sure whether he chose to use that acronym because it's a slur against the Japanese or if it's just poorly thought through. Of course the Japanese treat their immigrants nearly as bad or even worse then this psychotic plan suggests so I guess it might be apropos.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

cafel posted:

I'm not sure whether he chose to use that acronym because it's a slur against the Japanese or if it's just poorly thought through. Of course the Japanese treat their immigrants nearly as bad or even worse then this psychotic plan suggests so I guess it might be apropos.

I completely missed that and I am sure it was on purpose.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
The English only poo poo is really stupid. The very first president that was born an American citizen was not a native English speaker. This has always been a country where people speak other languages and do just fine.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Modern Day Hercules posted:

The English only poo poo is really stupid. The very first president that was born an American citizen was not a native English speaker. This has always been a country where people speak other languages and do just fine.

A person who used to be a friend lived in south and called me frantically ranting that it is pathetic and ridiculous that she had to learn Spanish in college and that those people should learn English....

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Mitchicon posted:

This is a regular tactic in Afghanistan and it's rare that it doesn't work. We call it a SoF (Show of Force) and it is generally used before bombs are employed unless the situation is really bad when fighters get on site. The problem is the fighters couldn't possibly get there in time.

That, and there were no rescue forces available in case the pilot had to bail out for some reason. The dude would have to parachute down into the midst of an angry mob. It would take hours for help to get to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Is "Wango ze Tango" a euphemism for "poo poo your pants for two weeks?"