Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I seriously had no idea that it wasn't obvious that Erin titan was Erin as a titan immediately. I guess it could have gone a different direction, but it all makes sense if you think about it for like.... 3 minutes. Especially with the loving boxing stance he has and their whole focus on wrastlin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Eren and Annie both mostly gave it away with fighting stances and such. Clear enough to guess but not so blatant that it was totally obvious. The rest of the Human-Titans were surprises(unless you dug down into the manga like that one guy who actually predicted that Reiner and Bertolt were Titans). I don't think there was really any way to tell Ymir was a Titan. I guess you could read into the short flashback to her and Christa taking the hurt guy to medics, but that came right before she just transformed.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

One thing I found kind of interesting was how they rendered the Titan regeneration. It definitely looks very...mystical? Like weaving wires of multicoloured energy rebuilding the arm, it definitely doesn't look biological. But they mention the Titans subsisting off of sunlight so maybe their translucent skin kinda glitters like that when it's in loose strands because it's meant to absorb and look I'm thinking too hard about this it's just weird okay.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
Well, it looks like there's a lightning bolt when titans transform in the anime. So maybe the weaves of light are, like, a mini version of that?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So...what's the over-under on the anime thread going full-blown supernova next week (assuming next week is the big reveal from chapter 9)? Or for that matter, the rest of the internet?

Rei_ posted:

One thing I found kind of interesting was how they rendered the Titan regeneration. It definitely looks very...mystical? Like weaving wires of multicoloured energy rebuilding the arm, it definitely doesn't look biological. But they mention the Titans subsisting off of sunlight so maybe their translucent skin kinda glitters like that when it's in loose strands because it's meant to absorb and look I'm thinking too hard about this it's just weird okay.
I too also liked the Titan regeneration. Like you said, it looked mystical in nature and not natural. It was a good balance between sci-fi and horror-suspense.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
They've all pretty much figured it out anyway. I don't really think anyone is going to be surprised. Eren and Annie both look and fight just like themselves.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dr_Amazing posted:

They've all pretty much figured it out anyway. I don't really think anyone is going to be surprised. Eren and Annie both look and fight just like themselves.

I don't know, Rage Titan isn't quite as angry as Eren.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AradoBalanga posted:

So...what's the over-under on the anime thread going full-blown supernova next week (assuming next week is the big reveal from chapter 9)? Or for that matter, the rest of the internet?

It's not going to be that big a deal, most of the thread already figured out who it is. Just by being video the show makes the hints that were in the manga a whole lot clearer, which is fine by me. The story is exciting enough without surprise twist! moments.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 19, 2013

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I'm a little disappointed with Titan Eren's looks in the anime I always figured he looked more like a skinned human like the colossal and other human titian do.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Yeah, I thought Eren's titan was more... fleshy? Especially with the way the jaw is detailed.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Dr_Amazing posted:

Annie was a lot harder to figure out though because she didn't show off her fighting style in titan form until several chapters after she appeared. I really wish that they had cut out Eren's fighting stance scene in the anime, because it's such an obvious giveaway.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Honestly, it's really obvious in the anime. Oh well. Like with Annie it's revealed not with a sudden twist, but with a slow realization. You might figure it out at any number of points, but in the end the "reveal" isn't a surprise. And that's okay.

People are going to be going, "Wait, is that... Eren?" And the gears will turn, and they'll become more sure of it, and the reveal won't be a shock, but a vindication... and honestly, the implications are more interesting than the shock.

The only shock that really matters as a shock are Reiner and Bertholt. You can tell it really matters because the reveal is shoved into the corner of another casual panel, where it's absolutely least expected.

Speaking of that reveal, Annie asking Reiner if they should do anything yet was really obvious in retrospect. I liked that. I actually got a friend to read the manga recently, and he was calling bullshit on the reveal- he thought it was pulled out of the author's rear end at the last minute or something (which I explained is bullshit for a number of reasons). He's starting the anime, so I'll be sure to point out this scene to him.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Reiner and Bertholt reveal was so unorthodox I had trouble believing what they just straight up admitted until the moment they transformed.

On a related note, the hint about that plot twist (the short conversation between Annie, Reiner, and Bertholt) in this week's episode of the anime kind of took me by surprise a little. Looking back in the manga, it was there too, but the way the translation worded it made it seem so insignificant, whereas GG's translation of the anime made it sound like they were definitely planning something at that moment. I wonder if that was a matter of the manga's scanlation being lovely (it's really drat terrible) or if the writers tried to make it a little bit more obvious in the anime. And if that indicates that the anime will get all the way to that plot twist and the current chapters.

If nothing else, it makes me appreciate the writing all the more. There are just so many little hints about that peppered everywhere, and yet no one suspected anything along those lines until it happened. It's rare that you're able to get such a shocking plot twist in without making it come out of nowhere.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 19, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

AndroidHub posted:

I guess I didn't notice it the first time because it had no significance yet, but Reiner, Bernholdt, and Annie talking about ~titan stuff~ while the only member of their squad who's a normal human just kinda freaks out is golden. I had to go back and take a look at the manga to make sure that wasn't some weird addition to the anime, but sure enough, it's there verbatim.

It's good that he's prepared to die! :v:

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 19, 2013

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, that episode was great. I like what they did with Titan-Eren. I entirely forgot about the part where he punches that other Titan's head clean off. Only thing that was missing was the head almost ploughing through Mikasa, Armin and Connie. This series really benefits from movement. Any doubts I might have had about the adaptation are gone. Let's just have however many episodes it needs to be the manga in motion please. And if that means waiting for the manga to wrap up, so be it.

Really, I took a while to realise Eren was the Titan on my first read through. I mean, he's the first one confirmed as a Human-Titan, and there didn't seem to be any indication that that was a thing. Plus there's the fact that the last time we see him he's being chomped. With hindsight it really sticks out, but at the time I just thought it was another example of a weird Titan.

I'm really looking forward to Rivaille as well now.

I was going to post this in the anime thread, but it might be a little bit spoilery, so it's going here instead:

Evil Canadian posted:

Just wanna say, this is the best fan art I have seen for Titan

I love these kinds of silly crossovers. And speaking of crossovers, I wonder how long it's going to take for somebody to cross Pacific Rim with the Attack on Titan OP. For all I know it's already happened.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 19, 2013

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Gyges posted:

Eren and Annie both mostly gave it away with fighting stances and such. Clear enough to guess but not so blatant that it was totally obvious. The rest of the Human-Titans were surprises(unless you dug down into the manga like that one guy who actually predicted that Reiner and Bertolt were Titans). I don't think there was really any way to tell Ymir was a Titan. I guess you could read into the short flashback to her and Christa taking the hurt guy to medics, but that came right before she just transformed.

I made a speculation post in the anime thread about the formatting of having the training sequence happen before Trost in the anime as opposed to the way the manga does it spoil a bit, and that's exactly what I was talking about. The stance means nothing to you if you're just reading the manga from the beginning because the scene with Annie, Eren, and Reiner happens after Trost in the manga (chapter 17). Up to the point where you see Eren-titan in the manga you have no idea that anyone in the 104th knows hand-to-hand, and really why would they?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Eiba posted:

Honestly, it's really obvious in the anime. Oh well. Like with Annie it's revealed not with a sudden twist, but with a slow realization. You might figure it out at any number of points, but in the end the "reveal" isn't a surprise. And that's okay.

People are going to be going, "Wait, is that... Eren?" And the gears will turn, and they'll become more sure of it, and the reveal won't be a shock, but a vindication... and honestly, the implications are more interesting than the shock.

The only shock that really matters as a shock are Reiner and Bertholt. You can tell it really matters because the reveal is shoved into the corner of another casual panel, where it's absolutely least expected.

Speaking of that reveal, Annie asking Reiner if they should do anything yet was really obvious in retrospect. I liked that. I actually got a friend to read the manga recently, and he was calling bullshit on the reveal- he thought it was pulled out of the author's rear end at the last minute or something (which I explained is bullshit for a number of reasons). He's starting the anime, so I'll be sure to point out this scene to him.

Yeah, the manga still has some reveals that come completely out of nowhere (Ymir, Reiner and Bertholt, the talking bigfoot), but it's a shame that the anime won't get to any of that.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I don't think that it's completely unreasonable to assume that the anime is being enough of a success that they could very well continue with more seasons, I mean there's at least enough story for them to make a second season, which would probably bring us close to where we are now in the manga. I think the real question is where they will finish off this season, my money is onthem finishing up with the capture of Annie. But maybe I'm just being hopeful, I really want to believe they won't pull a gantz on us and pull a really bad ending out of their rear end for the anime.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Yeah, the manga still has some reveals that come completely out of nowhere (Ymir, Reiner and Bertholt, the talking bigfoot), but it's a shame that the anime won't get to any of that.

We'll get the Wall titans I think. That'd be a decent stopping place. Annie is captured, the Walls are Titans and more Titans are on the loose. Stay tuned for season 2 hopefully.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
From the other thread:

Squidster posted:

It's not that he can transform into a Meat Gundam at will, because that would completely change the trajectory of the show

Mwahahahahahahaha.... :unsmigghh:

Episode seems to be up on Crunchyroll. Looking forward to grabbing it.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
From over in the anime thread:

Spectral Werewolf posted:

It seems like that's what they want us to conclude from those scenes, but I'm still waiting to see if Eren has become Titan or if he can regurgitate his body to be human again. I guess we'll eventually see what's in his dad's cellar that's so important or at least learn more about the injections.

It could also just be the possibility that it's one of those radically different titans similar to the armored one and the colossal titan, but I'm still leaning towards the Eren thing. So many questions to be answered and I can't wait for this to go week by week.

Well, he's kind of correct. :v:

I'm surprised at how well they're doing at guessing plot twists, even if they're right in ways they couldn't imagine.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

of bees posted:

From over in the anime thread:

Well, he's kind of correct. :v:

I'm surprised at how well they're doing at guessing plot twists, even if they're right in ways they couldn't imagine.

So far no one has picked up any vibes from Reiner, Bertholdt and Annie being completely calm about running out of gas, though to be fair none of the manga readers (except for that clever dude on the animesuki forums) got that clue either.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Given the titan's eye color, it should be pretty obvious that it's Eren. I guess all that's left now is to explain how he became one (probably dad-related), and whether he can become human again? It would kind of suck if the struggle between man and titan was resolved by a human/titan defeating ALL the titans though.

He's going to be so relieved when he finds out that Eren continues to get his rear end kicked all the time even after becoming a titan transformer.

Rei_ posted:

But imagine if in like 10 episodes they have Titans with 3D Maneuver gear being launched from the center of the city like Gundams.

And I'd love to see his reaction when Monkey-Titan picks up the 3D gear from Mike.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 19, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

JosephWongKS posted:

So far no one has picked up any vibes from Reiner, Bertholdt and Annie being completely calm about running out of gas, though to be fair none of the manga readers (except for that clever dude on the animesuki forums) got that clue either.

You're misremembering. A ton of people suspected Reiner, and Bertholdt by association, including posters in this very thread. Especially once Annie was outed. The dude who made the big effortpost was the first one to gather it all up in one place, but most if not all of the individual points had been brought up before.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

On a related note, the hint about that plot twist (the short conversation between Annie, Reiner, and Bertholt) in this week's episode of the anime kind of took me by surprise a little. Looking back in the manga, it was there too, but the way the translation worded it made it seem so insignificant, whereas GG's translation of the anime made it sound like they were definitely planning something at that moment. I wonder if that was a matter of the manga's scanlation being lovely (it's really drat terrible) or if the writers tried to make it a little bit more obvious in the anime. And if that indicates that the anime will get all the way to that plot twist and the current chapters.

It was the former, sadly. The lines were identical to the manga.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Connie seems a lot cooler in the anime than I would have expected. Maybe it's because he only is just now getting time in chapters again.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
In all fairness to the translator, it must be hard to translate that sort of thing correctly when you don't know the reveal either.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

JosephWongKS posted:

One of the best aspects of the writing is that a lot of things that turn out to be foreshadowing, like the discussion of Team Titan and Marco, work perfectly well as non-suspicious dialog. In that particular instance everyone is wondering what the gently caress to do, it just happens that this particular conversation is about what the gently caress to do in regards to doing Titan poo poo instead of dealing with the impending Titan rush.

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

It's good that he's prepared to die! :v:

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/7/19

Rereading the manga, I noticed something interesting about Marco's panel on this page.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Breaky posted:

Connie seems a lot cooler in the anime than I would have expected. Maybe it's because he only is just now getting time in chapters again.

A lot of it's the voice, I think. He looks about twelve and when you're reading the manga it's easy to assume he's got a voice to match. In the anime, he's second only to Eren for BURNING SHOUNEN SPIRIT.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

PowFu posted:

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/7/19

Rereading the manga, I noticed something interesting about Marco's panel on this page.

He has girlishly small hands?

(No, I get it, he's covering the side of his face that's missing later.)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
It was on the splash cards of the new episode a bit, but what do we know about the workings of 3D Gear? Between the manga being a series of still images and things happening in the anime so fast, I have a hard time figuring out what they do besides the grappling hooks. Does it use bursts of compressed gas for steering, rocket jumps without the hooks? It seems weird that some users only need one sword hilt in hand, I thought they need both to guide the grapnel launchers.

Since they include a mysterious black box I guess they will be a plot point at some point.

Regarding the anime thread guessing the Feral Titan is Eren, as good and unpredictable as the story is, they had to be unsure the apparent main character was dead, and knew the plot line with his Dad and the injections needed to be resolved. And they probably figured giving the main character mankind's great equalize made sense (though that was subsequently subverted by it being revealed he's not as special as we thought)

It seems odd the human-Titans look less human facially, but have more human proportions. Except Ymir who looks a bit more like a regular Titan. Since she may not be affiliated with the other three infiltrators, maybe that isn't a coincidence.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 19, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
One thing that never made sense about the 3D gear is the grappling hooks. How are they propelled fast enough to pierce into concrete(or whatever materials the castles/buildings are made of) and even the super-hardened walls? And if they're in there well enough that they can support a human, how do they get them out afterwards?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

RatHat posted:

One thing that never made sense about the 3D gear is the grappling hooks. How are they propelled fast enough to pierce into concrete(or whatever materials the castles/buildings are made of) and even the super-hardened walls? And if they're in there well enough that they can support a human, how do they get them out afterwards?
Yea how come buildings aren't covered in hundreds of little divots? Why don't they have more towers? Where are the gliders???

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Or hot-air balloons for that matter if they have access to pressurized gas.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

Who gives a poo poo?

Death Cube K
Mar 20, 2008

You're pretentious, this club sucks, I have beef. Let's fight.
Why didn't they just ride those big eagles to Mordor?

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

BizarroAzrael posted:

It was on the splash cards of the new episode a bit, but what do we know about the workings of 3D Gear? Between the manga being a series of still images and things happening in the anime so fast, I have a hard time figuring out what they do besides the grappling hooks. Does it use bursts of compressed gas for steering, rocket jumps without the hooks? It seems weird that some users only need one sword hilt in hand, I thought they need both to guide the grapnel launchers.

My understanding is that the gas is used both for launching the grapples and powering the winding mechanism. Black box could be a hand wave for aiming the hooks but it could be something else. Something mysterious...

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
For a series that tries to explain everything realistically it's not too big of a sperg guys. It's like if in Star Wars they explained every little detail about the Lightsabers but then didn't explain why the laser stops after 3 feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

RatHat posted:

Or hot-air balloons for that matter if they have access to pressurized gas.
Just watch; we finally reach the capitol, then BAM! It was Nazis all along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWynPcFRzWU&t=942s

Jackard fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 19, 2013