Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

If you look at the last photo you can see more re-bar buried in that sand on the right. As for the car being totaled I doubt it, from what can be seen in the photo's it looks like two new seats and a rear window, the mystery is the floor-pan and the drive train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Slavvy posted:

I really want to know how this is possible. You read about it, and hear about it, and see those fluff pieces on the news where some geriatric plowed through the front of a gas station, but how does it really happen? How? You have thousands of hours of driving a car, every car is basically the same, your body is as accustomed to where the brake is as it is to wiping your rear end or turning the tap the right way to make water come out. On top of which, you have to hold down the gas for a sustained period of time AND jam it to the floor to get truly spectacular results.

I don't get it.

I can tell you that if I haven't driven an automatic in a while I will almost certainly jam on the brake pedal looking for a clutch at least once during a trip.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

8th-samurai posted:

I can tell you that if I haven't driven an automatic in a while I will almost certainly jam on the brake pedal looking for a clutch at least once during a trip.

Really? How? I've had the same thing happen and all I end up doing is jabbing at the floor where the clutch used to be. Is it just a result of people left-foot-braking all the time because they've only ever driven auto?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Slavvy posted:

I really want to know how this is possible. You read about it, and hear about it, and see those fluff pieces on the news where some geriatric plowed through the front of a gas station, but how does it really happen? How? You have thousands of hours of driving a car, every car is basically the same, your body is as accustomed to where the brake is as it is to wiping your rear end or turning the tap the right way to make water come out. On top of which, you have to hold down the gas for a sustained period of time AND jam it to the floor to get truly spectacular results.

I don't get it.

See, this is why I am not completely against blackboxes in cars for research purposes.

But then I realize what I'm implicitly advocating and I die a little each time. I really wish there was mandatory driver's RE-testing every few years to keep your license.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I got a license in Arizona, and it doesn't expire until I'm 60 :psyduck: Even Idaho makes you go in every five years and do a simple (useless, I'm an optician so I know, but it's better than nothing) eye test. I thought it was a joke when people told me.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Slavvy posted:

Really? How? I've had the same thing happen and all I end up doing is jabbing at the floor where the clutch used to be. Is it just a result of people left-foot-braking all the time because they've only ever driven auto?

Things with wide brake pedals mostly, I just go to clutch and oops got the left side of the brake. Not nearly as big of a deal as oops got the gas though. I know my late grandmother drove automatics with both feet but she didn't get her license until her 60s.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah, I've brake stomped too when in auto rental cars, and I blame the wide brake pedal. It only happens at super low speeds, like in a parking lot.

I read some investigation report once about a runaway car, and the gist of it was that the driver was adamant he was pressing the brake (only he was on the throttle). And the more pedestrians he plowed into, the more he pressed the brake. It's especially amplified on relatively high-torque American cars with kick-down.

This is an interesting read on the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Russell_Weller

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
This one will take a sharp eye. (4-wheeler trans for context)

There should be engagement dogs on the side of that gear. Don't neutral drop your 4-wheeler kids.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Slavvy posted:

I don't get it.

Certain vans, because of the width of the doghouse, have the pedals crammed together. Ford Econolines were involved in a spate of those incidents; having driven my dad's various E150 work trucks when helping him out on a job or rearranging cars in the driveway, I'll admit to having accidentally grabbed a bit of the gas while braking once or twice.

As to your second point, while I and you would probably notice the engine noise rising, think to ourselves "whoopsie," and shift our foot an inch to the left to remedy the situation, a lot of people think "isn't stopping PRESS HARDER," and then sue Ford.

In other news: Remember, lawnmowers need oil changes too!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The people who I saw with their car turtled on a rock were 20s/30s, overweight, balding, and pale. Basically america.jpg I guess. No old-person excuse for being confused about which pedal to use.

People are stupid, carry good insurance.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Delivery McGee posted:

Certain vans, because of the width of the doghouse, have the pedals crammed together. Ford Econolines were involved in a spate of those incidents; having driven my dad's various E150 work trucks when helping him out on a job or rearranging cars in the driveway, I'll admit to having accidentally grabbed a bit of the gas while braking once or twice.

It wasn't an Econoline, but many girlfriends ago I was helping her pick up a dresser she'd bought from a friend. She had borrowed her mom's minivan and taken out all the seats so the only two remaining were the passenger and driver. We had enlisted the help of a third friend who took the passenger seat, so after we picked up the dresser I was just in the back sitting on the floor.

Now this girlfriend normally drove a Saturn SL with a five-speed and wasn't used to driving an automatic. To my detriment, at one point she stabbed the brake thinking it was the clutch, causing me to pitch forward at a high rate and smash into the dresser, which promptly fell on top of me. That was fun.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

8th-samurai posted:

Every.
Goddamn.
Time.
Luckily my parents' new Chrysler minivan doesn't have the insanely wide brake pedal that the Oldsmobile Silhouette had. That's when I accidentally went for the clutch and did a 20-to-0 stop about 300 feet away from a stop sign. In front of a gas station. It was thoroughly embarrassing. I'd also whiff a grab for the gear shift as I was coming up to a stop for the first ten minutes I drove that car.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays

kastein posted:

(ironically, I was on my way to a drivers retraining course. To keep from losing my license. Because of a handful of loving INSPECTION TICKETS from driving a hoopty truck. Did you know inspection tickets counted as a point on your license? I sure didn't.)

Massachusetts (where Kastein and I are) is absolutely ridiculous about points on your license. My friend is paying like $2500 a year for insurance now because he got a bunch of stupid tickets and never fought any of them. The registration on his family car was expired because his sister and her felon boyfriend would just park anywhere and then throw away parking tickets. The RMV wouldn't let them do anything with the car with outstanding parking tickets, nor would they tell them what tickets needed to be payed. They ended up calling like half of the towns in MA just to find all the tickets.

Anyway he got a ticket for driving an unregistered vehicle and it was like 3 points. He also did some stupid poo poo like turn left coming out a parking lot with a no left turns sign. Basically everything higher than a parking ticket is points in MA.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

8th-samurai posted:

Muscle memory can definitely gently caress with you. I was out visiting my fiancee and helped her with some moving this weekend, and I rented a U-haul Econoline-type van with the gear selector on the stalk. For the rest of the trip, every once in a while driving her car I would try to put it in reverse and end up getting the windshield really, really clean.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
My only real issue when going to an auto is backing up. In a manual I never fully let out the clutch and just kick the clutch pedal in to coast back once I'm going. Doesn't work so well in an auto when I slam to stop trying to coast back.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

Opensourcepirate posted:

Massachusetts (where Kastein and I are) is absolutely ridiculous about points on your license. My friend is paying like $2500 a year for insurance now because he got a bunch of stupid tickets and never fought any of them. The registration on his family car was expired because his sister and her felon boyfriend would just park anywhere and then throw away parking tickets. The RMV wouldn't let them do anything with the car with outstanding parking tickets, nor would they tell them what tickets needed to be payed. They ended up calling like half of the towns in MA just to find all the tickets.

Anyway he got a ticket for driving an unregistered vehicle and it was like 3 points. He also did some stupid poo poo like turn left coming out a parking lot with a no left turns sign. Basically everything higher than a parking ticket is points in MA.

I think I'm at a total of 5 for times stopped and ticketed while having rejected inspection stickers during my younger and dumber days. A few times legitimate other times the shop was looking to fleece my wallet. If you get a Uniform Citation with a $ fine in Assachusetts then your points are going up.

Its all or nothing. Go to court and win? Still cost you a $25 fee or another $50 if you don't like magistrate's decision and decide to go in front a judge with the citing officer present.

Spirit of America my rear end.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Agreed. You know what really burns my rear end about the last one? I was on my way to the steel shop to get metal to fix the drat rockers so I could get it inspected. Got pulled over, ticketed, officer told me if I appealed it, he'd be there and as long as I had my sticker, he'd say to just toss it out.

Guess how much of that happened?

Yep, I showed up and some other rear end in a top hat was there, not him, and the magistrate told me to pound sand.

I keep my inspection stickers up to date now.

PS: I pay a good bit more than that. Mostly due to the inspection tickets, one accident a couple years ago, and the fact that I have 3 vehicles registered.

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 6, 2013

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
The Magistrate is just a hearing with a PD representative, you got to appeal to the judge to see the citing officer.

Got a ticket for 80+ MPH on 495 last year, went in to the magistrate office last month said I was guilty of everything the State Police rep was saying and that my driving record has been very clean. Magistrate looked at my record and said will cut you a break and checked off NR (Not Responsible) and the Trooper didn't contest :smug:.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Also, "noise while driving"

You KNOW this is the kind of poo poo we're probably going to find when we finally get around to ripping the subframes out of my car to do all that suspension work and poo poo that I want to do.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Sucks to be you guys. My state has no inspections, no emissions regs, no front plates, and it's in the south so my lawyer's good-old boy network makes tickets disappear. Of course, the downside is that police are nearly completely ineffectual, drunk drivers are everywhere, and EVERY car on the local used market is hosed.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
PA is seems to have a happy medium as far as regulations go. We have inspections but the only way you'll fail is if you go to a really picky shop or have a tragically terrible car. Only certain counties have emissions. I've had some really lovely cars that have passed though.

It seems to work as far as keeping really unsafe vehicles off the road and doesn't cost that much. Usually $60 for inspection and emission stickers and $30 for registration.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Phy posted:

Muscle memory can definitely gently caress with you. I was out visiting my fiancee and helped her with some moving this weekend, and I rented a U-haul Econoline-type van with the gear selector on the stalk. For the rest of the trip, every once in a while driving her car I would try to put it in reverse and end up getting the windshield really, really clean.

Ha, yep! Happens to me every time I drive most any other car, since all mine have been on the tree for a few years now.

In mechanical failure news: HOLY poo poo
http://news.yahoo.com/mechanical-failure-likely-caused-fatal-california-limo-fire-151639652.html

Remember that limo with a bridal party that caught fire?

They think it was because of:

quote:

A mechanical failure probably sparked the deadly limousine fire that killed a bride and four of her friends as they crossed a bridge over the San Francisco Bay early last month, local media reported on Thursday.

The Lincoln Town Car they were riding in burst into flames when air springs in the rear of the vehicle somehow ruptured, setting off a chain of events that caused the fire, ABC7 News reported.

As someone who drives a car with air shocks, and just replace really lovely broken ruptured ones, :stare:

How could this happen?

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004

This is what a air spring is for Panther looks like. They don't usually burst they normally crack at the base. The fuel tank is near them so maybe something punctured the air spring which caused it to damage the fuel tank. And like Cadillacs they do have a ride height sensor so the compressor doesn't over fill. Cadillacs are just regular shock with a air bladder on it with conventional coil springs whereas the Panther the air spring is what supports the rear of the car in addition to normal shocks.

A few years ago Panthers made headlines for ruptured fuel tanks in severe rear collisions, Ford got a lot of flak but really the only ones constantly out on the road in Crown Victoria's is law enforcement so your risk of immolating in regular Panther is low.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSm6Dnu0EPM

KennyLoggins fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 7, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The NHTSA are so precious, thinking jeep will jump and recall millions of ancient vehicles :allears:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324299104578529041840107114.html

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
^^^^ All I see in that is the headline...

This whole thing is reminding me of Tyler's explanation of the recall decision process in Fight Club. Hell I think it was the same model of car too wasn't it? (different generation)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

This is probably the link he meant to post.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Das Volk posted:

This whole thing is reminding me of Tyler's explanation of the recall decision process in Fight Club. Hell I think it was the same model of car too wasn't it? (different generation)

Seems to work perfectly on this pc, that's strange.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
So I was delivering a forklift today, and every time I stepped on the clutch it would squeak. I figured it just needed some lube and kept going. Just as I pulled up to the site, something went clunk, and then I had no clutch. Upon further inspection:

The weld holding the pin in broke and the squeaking was the sound of it slowly working its way out. I'm just glad it happened when I was going slowly, instead of, say, on the freeway I just got off.

Then we got to do this:

Flatbed on a flatbed!

Bonus picture of the gash I got fixing that clutch pedal, after it slipped out and hit me in the forehead:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Das Volk posted:

Here's Allpar
http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2013/06/behind-the-nhtsa-request

TL;DR: 2 people died in the back seat of a parked 20 year old Jeep that was rear ended by an 18-wheeler at 65mph(driver and 2 other occupants of the vehicle survived). NHTSA now wants Chrysler to recall millions of Jeeps built in the last 20 years. Chrysler says the Jeeps are no more likely to catch fire/cause fatality in a rear end collision than any other car built during that era and in any case they met all applicable safety regulations at the time of manufacture, we're not going to recall a 20 year old truck to retrofit it to some new standard that you just came up with today.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
A stationary 20 year old vehicle gets ploughed by a truck going 65mph and they're not singing its praises that some passengers survived? :confused:

For once I think Chrysler are absolutely right, if it passed all of the safety standards in place at the time then they're not required to do any more. If there's a flaw in the safety regulations then every vehicle built to them should be recalled at the same time, singling out one or two models retroactively sets a horrible precedent.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

jammyozzy posted:

A stationary 20 year old vehicle gets ploughed by a truck going 65mph and they're not singing its praises that some passengers survived? :confused:

For once I think Chrysler are absolutely right, if it passed all of the safety standards in place at the time then they're not required to do any more. If there's a flaw in the safety regulations then every vehicle built to them should be recalled at the same time, singling out one or two models retroactively sets a horrible precedent.

You've yet to learn the art of media assassination. See: Corvairs in the 60's/70's, Audi in the 80's, Toyota a couple of years ago.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Are they just...bored or something?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

KennyLoggins posted:

A few years ago Panthers made headlines for ruptured fuel tanks in severe rear collisions, Ford got a lot of flak but really the only ones constantly out on the road in Crown Victoria's is law enforcement so your risk of immolating in regular Panther is low.

Yeah, Crown Vics got a bad rap because a lot of them took a truck up the rear end at 80 per. But it was more because any car would explode from that kind of hit and 99/100 of cars parked on the side of the interstate were Crown Vics, than the Pinto II situation that the news made it out to be.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

PA is seems to have a happy medium as far as regulations go. We have inspections but the only way you'll fail is if you go to a really picky shop or have a tragically terrible car. Only certain counties have emissions. I've had some really lovely cars that have passed though.

It seems to work as far as keeping really unsafe vehicles off the road and doesn't cost that much. Usually $60 for inspection and emission stickers and $30 for registration.
As has been mentioned, Texas really only requires working lights, horn, and windshield wipers; windshield itself is not an inspection item, but you have to have wipers flapping over the hole -- I knew a guy in the Jeep club who rolled his truck and got it inspected with no glass, but they did check the wipers. And if you Know A Guy, you can get pretty much anything passed.

And even if you don't bother, the cops will usually just give you a warning unless you're egregiously ridin' dirty and/or Mexican. Between myself and coworkers/friends, I have been party to four stops for expired reg/inspection. Two of them resulted in tickets, and those two were by the same city PD who have nothing better to do. State and county just said "Looks like you forgot to renew. Get that taken care of, okay?"

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 7, 2013

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Astroman posted:

http://news.yahoo.com/mechanical-failure-likely-caused-fatal-california-limo-fire-151639652.html
As someone who drives a car with air shocks, and just replace really lovely broken ruptured ones, :stare:
How could this happen?

Read that article again, closely.

My guess : excess avoirdupois

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

EKDS5k posted:

So I was delivering a forklift today, and every time I stepped on the clutch it would squeak. I figured it just needed some lube and kept going. Just as I pulled up to the site, something went clunk, and then I had no clutch. Upon further inspection:

The weld holding the pin in broke and the squeaking was the sound of it slowly working its way out. I'm just glad it happened when I was going slowly, instead of, say, on the freeway I just got off.

Then we got to do this:

Flatbed on a flatbed!

Bonus picture of the gash I got fixing that clutch pedal, after it slipped out and hit me in the forehead:

Sup Vancouver buddy. That's near where I live. I believe that street is also where a TransLink bus did this:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Delivery McGee posted:

As has been mentioned, Texas really only requires working lights, horn, and windshield wipers; windshield itself is not an inspection item, but you have to have wipers flapping over the hole -- I knew a guy in the Jeep club who rolled his truck and got it inspected with no glass, but they did check the wipers. And if you Know A Guy, you can get pretty much anything passed.

And parking brakes, don't forget those. I have a $500 repair bill to make sure I never do.

But yeah I know people who have a set of super cheap yet new "inspection wipers" which they switch onto the car to pass inspection then take off immediately after because the very small little nick 1" from the edge of their expensive wipers doesn't bother them yet would cause them to fail inspection.

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Here's Allpar
http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2013/06/behind-the-nhtsa-request

TL;DR: 2 people died in the back seat of a parked 20 year old Jeep that was rear ended by an 18-wheeler at 65mph(driver and 2 other occupants of the vehicle survived). NHTSA now wants Chrysler to recall millions of Jeeps built in the last 20 years. Chrysler says the Jeeps are no more likely to catch fire/cause fatality in a rear end collision than any other car built during that era and in any case they met all applicable safety regulations at the time of manufacture, we're not going to recall a 20 year old truck to retrofit it to some new standard that you just came up with today.

In aviation, that would be an airworthiness directive for the entire fleet to be retrofit.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

PatrickBateman posted:

In aviation, that would be an airworthiness directive for the entire fleet to be retrofit.

Yes, but a 20 year old airframe is still considered pretty young.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Yes, but a 20 year old airframe is still considered pretty young.

And a jeep cherokee didn't cost millions of dollars to build nor was it painstakingly assembled by master craftsmen to the highest standards and intended to operate for decades.

It was thrown together by slack-jawed yokels for the lowest cost possible, to arbitrary standards accepted only grudgingly and intended to last for the duration of the warranty period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
If the same quality assurance and inspection standards applied to your car as they did a commercial aircraft, they would never allow us to drive.