Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

MachuPikacchu posted:

Someone has found a special secret in Rockman 4MI. You get it if you can manage to get to the end of Rockman 4MI without taking damage.

I'm a little bummed that getting to it means skipping the needle/gemini fight, but the raw insanity of it more than compensates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Does using the Pharaoh Shotgun's "sun" actually turn the lights back on? Because that's brilliant if true. Even better would be Brightman's weapon, of course, but it didn't make an appearance in that fight. Oh well.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!
I am loving this Punch-Out LP.
It's great having someone show off these things, i've actually never watched much of 'Punch-Out' before, is the Wii one hard or not so much?

Although I would suggest the chat at the side is completely unnecessary, it doesn't add any content to the videos, and if anything 50 emoticons of some guy's face slowly scrolling further up the screen is a bit distracting to the actual game.

(That's not to suggest you shouldn't get your recordings from the stream, as somebody might ask a relevant question and help the recording. But so far for the viewer on youtube they've added nothing)

BottledBacon fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 25, 2013

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

BottledBacon posted:

It's great having someone show off these things, i've actually never watched much of 'Punch-Out' before, is the Wii one hard or not so much?

Although I would suggest the chat at the side is completely unnecessary, it doesn't add any content to the videos, and if anything 50 emoticons of some guy's face slowly scrolling further up the screen is a bit distracting to the actual game.

I really appreciate the feedback. You're not the first to bring this up. The chat will be removed from all tutorial videos.

I personally like having it for inspiration during some challenging endeavors, but I've made the overlay less obnoxious, and any video longer than like 100 seconds won't have it at all, as I can still read it without capturing it. The reason for this is that some of these challenges take hours of live streamed attempts at a time on top of quite a bit of off-stream practice, rendering my commentating abilities quite depleted. If someone happens to say something hilarious while I have no material other than videogame rage I like to have it saved.

As a preview for the next update, watch this to see what the chat might look like when it's included for these short challenge videos.
http://www.twitch.tv/danzel_glovington/c/2629315

I always get suggestions to check out the newer games in the series but then I get bogged down practicing another challenge on the NES game. I've heard that the Wii game is very speedrunnable and even playable blindfolded. Maybe after this LP I'll celebrate with SPO and WPO noobie runs.

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 25, 2013

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

Von Kaiser attempts #2 and Piston Honda 1 attempts #1
My Piston Honda 1 best time
Me replicating the TASvideo for Glass Joe

OK, here's where my gameplay starts to dip below the people who have unique world records in this game.

Piston Honda 1 has had strategies develop that have been very different from each other. The earliest ones relied on the randomness of his moves going a certain way so that your star punches did the most damage. These old strategies could provide exceptionally fast times but required a lot of patience to get the good luck.

This is the webpage where all the documented strategies are described in text form.

Much later, sinister1 developed a strategy that lets you time these star punches rather than rely on luck for the damage, allowing for consistent fast times in the fight. This however does rely on Piston's second refill being low to obtain the fastest time. In my personal best video I employ this strategy (suboptimally) and get the bad refill which still gives me a time that I'm satisfied with. Continued practice of this same strategy is sure to get me better and better times.

Download the video in this link and listen to audio track 2 for sinister1's commentary on his frame perfect implementation of this strategy.

When TASing the game, Adelikat discovered many lucky punches can be chained to obtain a time impossible to replicate by human players.

You can see the submission here

The next update won't be for another week but it will start with the Piston Honda 1 fight again, so don't fret over the abruptness with which this update ends.

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 15, 2013

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

MachuPikacchu posted:

Someone has found a special secret in Rockman 4MI. You get it if you can manage to get to the end of Rockman 4MI without taking damage.

Well, that's also a leaked new version of the rom. You won't find that in the originals.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Ah, my bad.

(On the other hand, if Puresabe is still pushing out new versions of the rom, does that mean that Rockman 4MI will eventually become the Ur-Megaman? Because I kind of want it to become the Ur-Megaman.)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

MachuPikacchu posted:

(On the other hand, if Puresabe is still pushing out new versions of the rom, does that mean that Rockman 4MI will eventually become the Ur-Megaman? Because I kind of want it to become the Ur-Megaman.)

It really already is.

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy

MachuPikacchu posted:

Ah, my bad.

What do you mean by Ur-Megaman?

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Kid Chameleon - Part 19: Loose Ends

We're nearing the end, folks! After this short detour we're onto the final two levels of the game!

Sky Fortress/Elsewhere 31

BONUS: Miscellaneous Loot

BONUS: Besting The Chaos Maze (shortest path through Stage 4)

Sky Fortress gives us one more Alien level, but the UFOs are much less dangerous due to all the cover available. There's a warp in the bottom-right that leads to a nice haul of diamonds in Elsewhere 31, while the upper-left warp brings us to the penultimate level.

Miscellaneous Loot

I was almost blown away by the amount of loot I missed between Under Skull Mountain 1 and Sinister Sewers. Not because there's a lot (in some cases) but from how weird their placement is. Here's a rundown of the loot I found after taking another look at that stretch of levels:

Under Skull Mountain 1
-A 10-diamond on the right side of the beginning of the level.

Under Skull Mountain 2
-The Ankh just above the exit, in the Micromax path. I knew it was there, just botched getting it during my initial run.

Under Skull Mountain 3
The Ankh at the far left end of that weird collection of hidden blocks reachable by Cyclone.

Hills of the Warrior 2
-2 Ankhs right before the flag, hidden in the very top-right screen of the level behind stone blocks opened by revealing hidden arrow blocks.
-1 Coin and 1 Ankh in two hidden blocks only obtainable by Juggernaut.

Sinister Sewers
-1 Coin, located just above the Ankh.

Another audible "No fuckin' way!" happened when I researched Hills 2's loot.

Besting The Chaos Maze

In order to reach the end of Stage 4 with no detours, refer to the following flowchart:

-Take the farthest-right warp in "Diamond Edge."
-Take the bottom path/warp in "The Hills Have Eyes."
-Reach the flag in "Secrets in the Rocks."
-Take the usual warp in "Ice God's Vengeance."
-Reach the flag in "Beneath The Twisted Hills."
-Take the usual warp in "Alien Isle."
-Reach the flag in "The Land Below."

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 27, 2013

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Good to see MTPO in here. Mr. Sandman is a big roadblock for me, and has given me more trouble than John Cleese Super Macho Man ever did when I was little and could actually get past them. Even Don Flamenco II gives me trouble nowadays; every victory I've had in that fight since picking the game up again has been by decision.

Then again, I managed to get through Loop 1 of Castlevania III, so my skills can't be that rusty.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Kid Chameleon - Part 20: The Final Marathon

The last two levels await us. A platforming gauntlet, and Heady Metal himself.

The Final Marathon

[timg]http://lpix.org/1347758/KCplethora.avi_snapshot_00.22_[2013.07.28_15.32.14].png[/timg]
PLETHORA

The Final Marathon is a long, difficult level. One thing I noticed more during this run is how the background boxes are so large. The top is usually much different from the bottom (Ice themes having gray clouds at the top, mountains at the bottom; Hills having ruins at the bottom, etc), and it's cool how you're at the very bottom of the Ice box for this level. That and the fact that's only one screen high feels much more like you're running to the end of the game.

There are some nasty tricks. Falling steel, jumping across chasms, dirty rotten loot placement. It's another challenging level, the ultimate test of your reflexes and timing.

After all this, the final boss is kind of underwhelming. Heady is tougher here than the other boss fights, but when you get caught between him and the ceiling he'll usually drop pretty quickly (those 37 hits go pretty fast). Max might be better for hitting him more before meeting the ceiling, but he can't make it rain.

Overall, I still enjoy playing Kid Chameleon, but a lot of the fun comes from figuring the levels out during that first attempt. After that it's remembering how to play and knocking all the levels out. I think the replayability would have been helped if - password/save system aside - they had more levels that needed to use multiple masks to get through them, a la Forbidden Tombs (opening a path with Berserker and then Red taking the path Berz opens up).

Still, there are some cool ideas, and if they had fewer levels they might have been able to focus their efforts more. It was a daring game for its time.

That's it for the main game. I'll play around with some of those hacks the wiki fellows worked on and come back with a report on that nonsense!

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 28, 2013

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
You were so close to 100 lives. I'm actually legitimately sad you didn't actually hit it.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

alcharagia posted:

You were so close to 100 lives. I'm actually legitimately sad you didn't actually hit it.

Yeah, bummed me out two. I might have reached it if I died less during Bloody Swamp. :suicide:

But if it makes you feel better, I could have used Rick's Extra Life ability, and the Extra Life I got from Plethora would have maxed my lives out!

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 29, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Congrats on finishing Kid Chameleon! It was a good run, and you showed off a bunch of neat stuff. Thanks for doing the LP!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Many thanks for doing KC! It's one of those impossibly hard games I never thought I'd even see beaten but that ending really needed to be a bit better than a quick image and few lines of text. I would have been *pissed* as a kid to finally get through the entire game and see that as a reward.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

BottledBacon posted:

Hahahahahahah....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izIT32JI5G0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26yG1rzTNCk

:negative:

(Note if you haven't played Punch-Out Wii! spoilers here)

EDIT: Let me also say that I'm really liking the crazy tricks you're doing Danzel Glovington, really neat to see some cool tricks from a game I love.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Congratulations on finishing Kid Chameleon, Zeikier. I think I have to give that game a try now.

...Is it too late to mention that "Bagel Brothers" is a strange name for a boss? Because it really is.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I assume it's some combination of the boss shooting ring-shaped projectiles, and the level being set in the city tileset (c.f. New York bagels). But it's pretty weird, yeah.

Tsym
Dec 30, 2012

Zones O and U

Kind of rambled in this one since there really isn't too much to talk about during the stage portions. It took me about 10x longer to get usable footage for this one than any other one. At least Neon Light Illusion isn't too bad once you figure out what you're supposed to do. It's so easy to screw up at Fatty Glutton that it's ridiculous. And note that this is the easier version of Fatty Glutton. I can't wait for the ridiculously hard one!

And practice on Zone V' is... Not going well to say the least. I've always done it using this bomb trick to murder the boss and I want to do it without using it, but that's probably not happening. We'll see.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I already thought the music in this game was pretty good, but holy poo poo that music for Fatty Glutton is marvelous.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Geemer posted:

I already thought the music in this game was pretty good, but holy poo poo that music for Fatty Glutton is marvelous.
Yeah, Fake is one of the best music tracks in Gaiden. Depending on the route you pick you might even hear it twice since they recycle boss music.

Good comment on avoiding red powerups, the game does have a nasty rank system that will screw you if you fully power up the shot (despite it being a giant wave of destruction)

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy

Zeether posted:

Yeah, Fake is one of the best music tracks in Gaiden. Depending on the route you pick you might even hear it twice since they recycle boss music.

Good comment on avoiding red powerups, the game does have a nasty rank system that will screw you if you fully power up the shot (despite it being a giant wave of destruction)

What about the Red powerup makes it so awful?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Deargodalion posted:

What about the Red powerup makes it so awful?
When you're fully powered up using red powerups (shot) the game's rank system decides to up the difficulty, i.e. bullets/projectiles are faster.

SpclKen
Mar 13, 2006
New Goon... go easy

Am I missing the PID updates or is that one never going to be finished? I really was enjoying it.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Dectilon, thank you for introducing me to Rockman minus infinity. For those interested in playing it, it is as amazing as it seems. There's a few things added in the most recent patch too, so you're not completely spoiled by watching the LP. Also the ending changes slightly more than, Rush is present, if you save him.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Nevermind.

Pizzatime fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 12, 2013

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

Just got back and I'm about ready to start an update within a day or so, but for now I'm posting to mention that Sinisterwon got a World Record on Piston Honda 2 in Mike Tyson's Punch Out (the game I'm LPing) and is going for a better time.

He's beaten the TAS but that's not enough, watch him live RIGHT NOW

https://www.twitch.tv/sinisterwon
He's gonna try to beat it again in the future

quote:

Thanks to McHazard for discovering a frame perfect star punch that Honda 2 cannot dodge and deals extra damage. I can actually get a 47.xx with better luck, I grinded this out in about an hour :0

-Sinister1 2013

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 7, 2013

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

Hey everyone, back with more Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! strategy talk and a video.

Piston Honda 1 attempts #2 and Don Flamenco 1 attempts #1
My Don Flamenco world record fight

The "Goldilocks" star was deemed a miracle when obtained and named because you had to hit Don Flamenco in the face just right in order to land it on the correct frame...

Until Zallard found a way to change the game,
Zallard's video explaining how to get the "Goldilocks" star every time.

Sinister1's SDA video (always right click/download to listen to track 2 for commentary)

To match the TAS time you have to perform an additional frame perfect dodge after he gets back up. I occasionally get it so that's another PB that ties the WR and the TAS that anyone could get.

This page chronicles the development of Don Flamenco 1 strategies and includes alternatives to the frame perfect star explained in the video.
http://showbizpizza.com/tomspunchout/strat-don1.html

edit: My personal best for Honda 1 has improved on video, and I made a better live broadcast of me getting the TAS time on Don Flamenco 2 so now both of those PB videos have been updated in the links.

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 15, 2013

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

Don Flamenco 1 attempts #2 and King Hippo attempts #1

It looks like people have finished with their games here. I hope it's alright to just load some posts in here otherwise if there's somewhere this could be moved feel free to suggest.

Anyway this update shows a bit more of the game off but I did forget to mention one thing about Don Flamenco 1. You can use the clockstopping glitch I mentioned in a previous video to cheese out an even faster time. I'll talk more about this most likely by adding another fight against him in the next update. This is also why I have yet to post Don Flamenco 1's TASvideos strategy resource.

Adelikat has the individual level video for King Hippo on sda. There's no commentary unfortunately. Adelikat's sda run matches the TAS which he himself created. The only other person to ever match that time was Matt Turk.

The TASvideos resource shows the odds of getting the random number generator to work in your favour during a King Hippo fight as well as a strategy to ensure a consistent albeit slower time.

Here is the brief strategy page for King Hippo from 2003ish. Not much has changed with this fight, it is all RNG.

I don't actually have a PB video for King Hippo that I'm happy with yet. I've been able to get sub 50s off camera more than once so whenever it happens I'll upload it and add it to the posts.

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 21, 2013

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy

I am loving these! it blow my mind how in depth the game is, and how Alive(?) the scene is for a 20 year old game you apparently can't emulate.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
I've two more videos for Incredible Crisis, which includes a math minigame that I am bad at.

#4: Etsuko, Chapter 1
#5: Etsuko, Chapter 2 & 3

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
This game takes "absurd" to a whole new level. I love it!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

That mother gets more done in fifteen minutes than most actions heroes do in two hours.

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy

"I have to cook dinner soon, guess I will steal a fighter jet."

I love how over the top this game can be, I am also glad I am not playing it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The Flash Game you're thinking of is probably Missile Game 3D.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Chip Cheezum posted:

I've two more videos for Incredible Crisis, which includes a math minigame that I am bad at.

You say you're bad at the math minigame, but you finished it pretty swiftly on the second go. I never even got past that particular minigame when I played the game.

Also, hah:

Stellar proofreading.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

There is something charming and adorable about watching a big blocky PS1 character carefully lower her little purse into a fighter jet before getting in.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I finally managed to track down the best ad ever made:

edit:

JGBeagle posted:

I remember this ad, but I never got to play the game because the local Hollywood Video never had it. :negative:

They started selling it for about $10 new at least within a few months of release. I'm sure this information really helps you now.

e2: poo poo, an article with the poster went up 2 days before I spent an hour googleing it:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/incrediblecrisis/incrediblecrisis.htm

Pneub fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Pneub posted:

I finally managed to track down the best ad ever made:

I remember this ad, but I never got to play the game because the local Hollywood Video never had it. :negative:

• Locked thread