Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

RandomPauI posted:

1: B & H.
Thank him, apologize, but tell him that you wish to travel the world and can't do so as a slave.

I like this.

tarepanda posted:

2.H, again. Explain that we are grateful for everything he has done for us and that we have certainly been happy under his wing and at his son's side. Happy, but unfulfilled. Ask if there is some service we could perform for him in return for our freedom. Repeat again that we hold him in the highest esteem and are truly grateful for what he has done, and that his son is our friend, no matter what.

And this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
H followed by H: How could we earn our freedom? To pay Tudiya back for his valor and hospitality?

edit: heh I guess this is pretty much tarepanda's vote

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 3, 2013

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

tarepanda posted:

H -- It seems that wanting to be an explorer is what triggered this, so that's what we should stay. We've already intruded on his judgment session and shouldn't make things worse by acting immature and running away or crying.

H, again. Explain that we are grateful for everything he has done for us and that we have certainly been happy under his wing and at his son's side. Happy, but unfulfilled. Ask if there is some service we could perform for him in return for our freedom. Repeat again that we hold him in the highest esteem and are truly grateful for what he has done, and that his son is our friend, no matter what.

this

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Following along with what FoxTerrier voted for: Plan RandomPanda!

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
1K. "Your majesty, my only wish in life is to serve you, Danal and El, for you have treated me well. Whether I serve you as a slave or servant is inconsequential, the only reason I asked is because of my natural curiosity and interest in Zepath's laws. It was not my intention to be ungrateful or unappreciative of your kindness and wisdom, and if it appears to you like I was, I sincerely apologize".

That's one hell of a sentence for a thirteen year old to translate into a language he's not entirely familiar with, but he's probably got a higher change of getting this message across than any sort of legal defense of any tone.

2A.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

tarepanda posted:

H -- It seems that wanting to be an explorer is what triggered this, so that's what we should stay. We've already intruded on his judgment session and shouldn't make things worse by acting immature and running away or crying.

H, again. Explain that we are grateful for everything he has done for us and that we have certainly been happy under his wing and at his son's side. Happy, but unfulfilled. Ask if there is some service we could perform for him in return for our freedom. Repeat again that we hold him in the highest esteem and are truly grateful for what he has done, and that his son is our friend, no matter what.

Okay I like this. I'd like to contain the bit about wanting to explore the world, to see what there is to see, as well though.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

SerSpook posted:

Okay I like this. I'd like to contain the bit about wanting to explore the world, to see what there is to see, as well though.

That's what the first H is: H. Explain you want to see the world and you cannot do that if you are a slave.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

tarepanda posted:

That's what the first H is: H. Explain you want to see the world and you cannot do that if you are a slave.

Oh, so it is.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

RandomPauI posted:

Thank him, apologize, but tell him that you wish to travel the world and can't do so as a slave.

tarepanda posted:

These.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

tarepanda posted:

Voting ditto.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
K Express real and true gratitude and thanks for all that he has so rightly said. With his generosity and great heart have come so many new and wonderful things. Many new ideas, among them freedom and the meaning of freedom. It is because we respect and honor his wisdom above all others that we ask this question how some people can be free and others not. It is because we are thankful for his generosity that we have wondered this about ourselves.

We are still thinking on the explore the world and the words of our mother, which he may feel of course since it is in our heart, but we were thinking of this question about freedom before we were asked about exploring. Ask about freedom. Not just about slavery. It is not because we are suffering slavery, it is because we have encountered the notion of 'freedom', which frankly is new to us.

I if it has not been answered in his response ask/express 'Do the free ever become slaves and slaves become free? How does that occur?"

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

tarepanda posted:

I like this answer.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
1. I
2. A

PandaPropaganda
Apr 22, 2008

tarepanda posted:

This seems like the best option. So voting plan tarepanda.

It actually feels to me like we really did hurt Tudiya's feelings. I get the impression he sees us as a sort of adoptive son. This goes back to when we first met him and he cut our hair, that seems like it was a big deal, especially since Jalitha said that the king only cuts the hair of his sons. Even if he doesn't, and is being completely emotionless and pragmatic about it, he probably wants to keep us around and keep us happy because of the positive influence we have had on Danal.

So we need to make it clear, and I don't know if this can be folded into the H options, that we look up to and respect him, and in a way he is a father figure to us, since we never really had a father to look up to and want to emulate.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

PandaPropaganda posted:

So we need to make it clear, and I don't know if this can be folded into the H options, that we look up to and respect him, and in a way he is a father figure to us, since we never really had a father to look up to and want to emulate.

Exactly. I completely agree with this. Tudiya has been an incredibly positive influence on us in more ways than one and we would be retarded and ungrateful if we didn't realize that and reciprocate the feelings.

Many teenagers are retarded ingrates, but I don't want to be one of them!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
D, E Just give us a straight answer old man.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Sogol posted:

I if it has not been answered in his response ask/express 'Do the free ever become slaves and slaves become free? How does that occur?"

You know a number of things about slavery.

You become a slave by...

Owing money and becoming a slave to pay for it, sometimes voluntarily, sometimes not.
Being a criminal.
Being born to a slave whose lineage is traced to another city.
Being sold into slavery by your father while you are a child if you are male.
Being sold into slavery by your father at any age if you are female.

Slavery to pay a debt or a crime off, may not be lifelong.

If a slave is able to get property, somehow, they own it and their master cannot take it.

A slave who harms his master in any way is very likely to be put to death. A master nominally has the right to kill his slaves, but he will likely be punished if he had no reason to do so, though not for the crime of murder, he may be fined or lose his other slaves.

You know that most slaves who become free, either become free because they have pleased their masters a great deal and been freed, or, they bought their freedom from their masters. Also, apparently, Labaras decreed that all slaves be freed on a special holiday held once every fifty years called the jubilee. The next one is in 24 years.

Uberwill
May 1, 2007

我的中文不是很好

tarepanda posted:

Agreed

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Once we're adventuring, we should seek out Jalitha's family in Baitel. Get a family reunion going on. In fact, this should be the first thing we do. Journeying to Baitel will likely not be so difficult since it's the "heart" of civilization, so to speak, and could be a cool first journey.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Thanks for the slave refresher. Clearly it is recognized as a bad thing or we would not have hurt Tudiya's feelings.

I am worried that saying we want to explore, even though we really feel it, is going to add insult to injury here.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Sogol posted:

Thanks for the slave refresher. Clearly it is recognized as a bad thing or we would not have hurt Tudiya's feelings.

I am worried that saying we want to explore, even though we really feel it, is going to add insult to injury here.

Based on stuff Tudiyah has said in the past, particularly right when we were rescued, I don't think it'll add insult. Wanderlust is something that El specifically gives someone, so they may go out and accomplish great deeds, at least it was for the king. Will it be for some random kid? Maybe, maybe not. Either way, it's probably something that will be respected, even if it doesn't earn us our freedom.

Though considering Danal's attitudes, it's likely we will be journeying frequently anyway. After all, he is Labaras and we are Enkidu. And Zepath needs a hero-king, not just a king, so he'd wanna go on rad adventures together when we're men grown.

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

Gonna go with the B and H, H crowd.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
D, with shades of B (seriously, I didn't want to offend you, awesome substitute-dad, you've been wonderful to me), because:

tarepanda posted:

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I typed that post on my phone and now that everyone's quoted it a dozen times, I realized that I made a typo. (Nothing serious, "stay" instead of "say.")

Annoying. :P

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Plan tarepanda, please.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Diogines posted:

It has been a slow day, a minor dispute over the price of grain which Tudiya resolved and a pair of men given a fine for drunkenly brawling in the streets. Danal was often forced to come, a duty he finds incredibly boring. You have often come when Danal was not required to, as you found it interesting, sometimes running small Today is one such day.

Running small what, by the way? I'm guessing "errands," but better safe than sorry in case there was some detail in there.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Plan 1. B & H, 2. H is good. However I'd also like to vote that we elaborate a bit on why being a slave sucks. We don't want to become like Keza, nor do we want to be a wild dog that has been tamed, like how some of the citizens of Zepath see us.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. H - We want to see the world, and slaves can't do that.
2. B - If need be, we will ask again when we are older and wiser.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Expect a large update tonight! Voting remains open till the update goes up.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Plan Tarepanda seems like a perfectly fine way to go, and seems like it's the way things are going to go regardless, but I'm still voting:

1:K:Genuinely express that we're saddened to have offended him, and that Tudiya and Danal have been like family, with whom we are very happy. Nevertheless, though it might come about that we never want for anything, a man must know if he is free to make his own decisions; we can't live always wondering if we're able to decide our own fate, if a plan or dream might be denied because it doesn't fit with someone else's will. But, you know, more kid-like.

Although I want to make the legal argument for 2, I don't trust us not to gently caress it up; dispassionate would be potentially insulting, emotional and vague would make us seem, well, like a kid who doesn't understand what he's talking about. So I guess: 2: G: Make a legal argument in a tone trying to appeal to Tudiya's sense of justice, specifically. Not simply dispassionate, but stress our relationship, that Tudiya was our 'saviour', and that we would hate to know that our saviour and role-model, in all he's done for us, was caring for us merely as one might a dumb animal, one of Danal's dogs. We may not have been living a good life, but surely we were not cattle to be claimed.

Or plan Tarepanda, whatever. I only dislike Tarepanda's H because I don't want to just accept that Tudiya might have been in the right to have just assumed our freedom wasn't worth recognizing.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
HH bandwagon because https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV-_UKNNt1Y

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

RandomPauI posted:

tarepanda posted:

I vote these.

Copacabana
Apr 6, 2010

There was blood and a single gunshot, but just who shot who?

RandomPauI posted:

tarepanda posted:

Voting for these. Place an emphasis on the fact that Tudiya has basically been a father to us, and that we want to stay by Danal's side as well as his, but we want it to be our choice to do so.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

tarepanda posted:

Running small what, by the way? I'm guessing "errands," but better safe than sorry in case there was some detail in there.

Correct.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Voting is closed.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Information posted between the main updates:

Sogol posted:

You know a number of things about slavery.

You become a slave by...

Owing money and becoming a slave to pay for it, sometimes voluntarily, sometimes not.
Being a criminal.
Being born to a slave whose lineage is traced to another city.
Being sold into slavery by your father while you are a child if you are male.
Being sold into slavery by your father at any age if you are female.

Slavery to pay a debt or a crime off, may not be lifelong.

If a slave is able to get property, somehow, they own it and their master cannot take it.

A slave who harms his master in any way is very likely to be put to death. A master nominally has the right to kill his slaves, but he will likely be punished if he had no reason to do so, though not for the crime of murder, he may be fined or lose his other slaves.

You know that most slaves who become free, either become free because they have pleased their masters a great deal and been freed, or, they bought their freedom from their masters. Also, apparently, Labaras decreed that all slaves be freed on a special holiday held once every fifty years called the jubilee. The next one is in 24 years.

The day is winding down and men are leaving the market or have already left. You have been beside Tudiya for several hours. You kneel before him, bow your head and ask. "Great King... am... am I a slave, or am I free?"

Tudiya frowns deeply. He lifts a goblet and a pitcher from a table beside him, fills the goblet with water and takes a long drink, as if to leave you thinking on your question, he then places the goblet down.

"Perhaps" he says, frowning deeper "and if you are, what of it? Have I mistreated you Child? Have I been unkind to you? Have I not fed you from my own table, sheltered you in my own home, clothed you and given you all that you own, even the friendship of my son?"

He takes another long drink from the goblet, overly long, leaving you to think. He places the goblet down again and continues.

"Are you a slave? You wound me gravely to ask such a thing Child. There have been no beatings here as Shushem would give you, placed you into the arms of your true mother, nor have you been sent to work the fields or bake bricks, how can you ask me such a thing? Have you been mistreated in any way?"

Tudiya's tone hints he is mostly hurt you would ask him such a question, rather than angry. Perhaps he thinks you feel mistreated and is offended on that account? His words seem to hint so. You have lived with him and been the constant companion to his son for two years and even without Danal spent many hours watching him do "King Stuff" which you decided you found interesting.

You shake your head. "Great King... I... I want to see the world. You have been generous, I have been happy with Danal, but I want more. What could I do, to earn my freedom, great and generous king?"

Tudiya takes another drink and sighs. "Child. You mistake my kindness for bondage. I can make the men of Zepath follow the law, but I cannot force them to be kind. I named you for Enkidu as a mercy, that people might think of him and think well of you. You wear your past upon your face, upon your dark skin and men in other cities will be far less kind to you... no man would treat my property ill, here, in Zepath." He motions you over and gives you a gentle hug, then lets you go. "Child, when Danal comes of age, I will give you to him. Think well if you wish your freedom Child and if Danal will give it to you, you will have it."

Danal is 7 now and you know boys become adults at the of 16, which would be... 9 more years. You would be 22.

"Speak no more of this to me for now" Tudiya says "You have time to think if this is truly what you wish and then, time to have it if you wish." Tudiya leads you back to his home, you have time to think over what he has said. Tudiya, at least a hundred, seems to have a very different perspective on the issue of time than you do... 9 years may as well be an eternity.

Yet, another year has passed. You are now 14. Danal is 8. Danal's youngest sister, Naomi is 16 or 17 and growing increasingly beautiful.

In the last year you have grown from a few inches shy of 6 feet, to 6'3. Uncle Jorah always seems bigger when you think of him, for he was the tallest man in your village, but you are almost as tall as him. Your peach fuzz facial hair has grown into a scraggly beard. You have bad acne. You remain the terror of the kitchens with 6 regular meals a day. You are rather thin and at times your limbs feel awkward, you have stubbed your toes a number of times as of late. You often bump into Aaron in the kitchens, seemingly as ravenous as you, the youngest of Tudiya's band of Mighty Men and the son of Rathal, Tudiya's eldest daughter.

Still, there are many in Zepath far taller than you. Tudiya's Mighty Men, who rescued you from Athar are all seven and a half feet or more, Tudiya towering at roughly eight and a half feet of solid muscle. Whatever lineage which spawned Tudiya is common in the city and ordinary men a few inches over seven feet tall are a common sight in the streets. You meet ordinary men every day a foot taller than you and you do not turn heads walking down the street.

Perhaps it is the fact you have not worn a loin cloth in two years but now wear a robe as other people do, but people on the street are friendlier to you now. Children still laugh and call you a cannibal on occasion, some adults still treat you with scorn, but such events are growing more infrequent. Keza has taken a strategy of actively ignoring you. Your days remained care free with few responsibilities besides watching over Danal, for one eve Tudiya sat you down and did indeed tell you this was your job to keep him out of trouble.

Still, you do not spend all of your time with Danal and he remains increasingly pliable to you, willing to do what you wish to do. Several adults in your life have taken an interest in how you spend your time and you have spent time with them. Often you drag Danal along.

The exact governance of the city remains a bit of a mystery to you, but the relationship between Tudiya, Ishamal and Barkof is becoming a bit more clear. You know that Tudiya is the king and he was picked to succeed his father, the last king. You know Ishamal is very old, possibly older than the city itself, he often takes serious matters with far less seriousness than they may deserve, yet at times does Kingly duties for Tudiya when Tudiya is otherwise occupied, duties delegated to him. As best as you can tell, Tudiya delegates any and all kingly duties, when he is inclined to do so, to Ishamal, mostly when he has other things to do, sometimes, simply because he does not want to. You know that Barkof commands the Mighty Men of Zepath, a position any man can claim by besting the previous commander, or winning a tournament should the previous commander fall in battle.

1. When you were not loafing with Danal, what adults did you spend time with? Pick up to three below and order them from most time spent, to least, of the three you picked. You can pick something more than once if you really want to.

A. Barkof has taken an increasing interest in you and encouraged you to spend time with him at the Temple of the Melachim, watching men train with swords and spears in the courtyard, as they do daily.

B. Bareen, the abnormally large woman and only such woman in the city, who oversees the festivals at the Temple of the Melachim and trains with the men. She wishes your help with mundane tasks in the temple.

C. Tudiya, who increasingly desires your presence at his side as he goes about his day and increasingly seems to treat you as a personal page, running errands and doing minor tasks for him.

D. Your mother. She has little to teach you beside cooking, and she is an excellent cook, but she loves you and enjoys your company in the kitchens.

E. Ephat, an old beggar by the city gate. He plays beautiful flute music and you have found, is eager to teach you in exchange for food from Tudiya's home.

F. Zebanetha, the old High Priest at El's temple. There is something very odd about the man, but you cannot place your finger on it. During the time you have spent with him, he has told you many stories of their (your?) religion as you help keep the temple tidy, as you accompany Danal who is required to do so at times, due to his heritage.

G.Ishamal, who is the best story teller you know and has tales of many far off places. When he is not busy filling in for Tudiya, which is not too frequent a task, he spends his time in the cities taverns drinking heavily, playing bar games and telling stories to tavern goers. Sometimes he dissapears for a week more without warning, you do not know why.

H. With Rathal, Danal's oldest sister, an old woman, learning more of how to write and do sums and to a limited degree, learning about home economics.

I. When you were not creatively loafing with Danal, you have spent time doing other things, rather than with the adults who seem interested in you. Fill in. There is plenty for a boy with free time to do in Zepath, if you want to have spent your time doing something else, it is perfectly feasible.

Your mother told you many wonderful stories growing up in Athar. Stories of her home, her culture her religion and of the wider world, perhaps dressed up and changed a bit, so as to avoid Shushem punishing her and you.

You now live in a society with a single faith, albeit one with a schism in it. This faith is accepted as an empirical fact by the people of Zepath as much as they know the sky to be blue. As Danal has received an education in such matters, so have you, having been beside him at the time. Murky corners and ambiguities in your mothers stories have been filled in.

All within Zepath do not simply believe, but know the Melachim to be real, supernatural otherworldly creatures who live in the sky and guide the fates of men. The Ophanim, the oldest and most powerful of the Melachim are the "Sky Giants" of your mothers stories, they are giants, winged, beautiful and greatly powerful. They live in a fantastical paradise in the clouds which is where the souls of good men go when they die. The way to this paradise is to climb to the top of Mount Har, a mountain which towers to the sky, Baitel was built on the bottom of this mountain. When people die, their souls travel to the base of the mountain and they must climb to the top, if they are not of strong enough moral character they fade away. Evil doers are not tortured in death, they simply fade away, or languish in grief on the side of the mountain and give up. Sometimes other people help them overcome their moral failings and help them make it up to the top, after they die. No living man may climb the mountain and the Mighty Men of Baitel guard all the passes up the mountain.

All within Zepath know that the Ophamim and even lesser Melachim can and do help people. They can and do indeed help protect people from monsters, heal the sick and perform miracles, overtly and in secret. They can and do bring rain to farmers with parched fields, help fishermen with their nets and merchants and craftsmen at their trades. Drought, famines, earthquakes, storms and other natural disaster simply happen, or are caused by demons, they are not a punishment from El. They are known to speak to the most exceptional individuals, kings and heroes on rare occasion.

All within Zepath agree that a great hero and monster slayer, a giant of a man named Labaras wandered the world and when he climbed the sacred Mount Har, heard a booming voice tell him he was on holy ground. Labaras descended and then built Baitel, the first city, at the base of the great towering mountain. Labaras created weaving, metal working, agriculture, writing and all the arts of civilized peoples. His descendants built all the cities of the world, Zepa, a descendant known to have wanderlust in his heart, built Zepath on the southwestern edge of civilization.

And this is where a split has occurred among a small minority. As Zebanetha, the old Priest of El has taught you and as Tudiya and most within the city believe, El is the father of the Ophanim and the creator of the world and of mankind. El, believe most, is not as the Melachim are, he(he is definitely male) is something else entirely. He is honored by prayer and by the slaughtering of livestock on altars in his honor, the burning of incense, wheat and other food as well as doing great deeds in his name. Human sacrafice is a grave sin, as is worshiping the sun, moon, stars, animals, people, demons or anything else, as cannibals do beyond the edge of civilization.

Zebanetha has taught you that it is proper to praise El and ask him to send the Melachim to help you but that it is wrong to worship the Melachim or praise or thank them directly, he has even shared stories of men being punished by the Melachim for doing so.

According to Zebanetha and almost all within the city, El never speaks directly with mankind, but sends messengers through the Melachim. El only spoke to one man ever, Labaras, whom he directed to build Baitel, gave moral laws to and whose descendants have a mandate to rule other men, forever.

The split between the majority faith and the faith perhaps one in ten hold to, is simple. Bareen, the towering high priestess of the Temple of the Melachim teaches her followers that El, does not exist. When Labaras climbed the mountain he did not meet with El on the slopes and descend, but he kept climbing and entered Paradise, where he met the Ophanim and learned all of the arts of civilization from them and, magic. Bareen herself claims to have learned magic directly from one of the Ophanim. According to her, the Ophanim made the world and mankind and it is proper to worship them, directly, mostly in the same ways everyone else worships El. Worshiping El is pointless, he is not real, nor, she claims, do Labaras's descendants have any divine right to rule, she claims that Labaras's sons invented El to give them a justification to rule. She praises Labaras and vilifies his treacherous descendants, who she claims still pass down magic among themselves, hiding the secrets in their families.

She does perform what may rightly be called miracles and is more showy about it than Tudiya and his Mighty Men whom you have seen use more than mortal powers, though that was in the wilderness, they rarely overtly show such within the city itself.

Among those who come to her temple, Bareen is known to, on rare occasion, provide miraculous cures, give sight to the blind and heal cripples. Most of her miraculous healings she seems to save for the monster hunters she sends out to slay monsters in honor of the Ophamim. She spend long hours training men in the temple courtyard to go become monster hunters and apparently is tough enough to last for a time in a training session with Barkof. You saw them spar once, their blows broke shields and metal swords as men watched, cheering. Bareen lost, but was tough enough to keep up with Barkof, a man you saw uproot trees during the trip to Zepath.

Whatever she can do, you did see Tudiya and his Mighty Men do some pretty miraculous things on the way here from your village...

The intricacies of politics and whatever power struggle is occurring are lost on you, a child.

2. Even if you are uncertain what you believe, you surely offer prayers of some sort, as all do within your society? Who do you pray to, when you have a reason to pray?

A. You were wrong. I really pray to no one.

B. El, the majority view.

C. The Melachim, the minority view.

D. The Melachim, the minority view and I do not hide this fact from Tudiya. It might have upset him, but I do not care.

E. Something else. Fill in.

3. Another year has passed and you have been further influenced by the people of Zepath. You previously were uncertain what to believe. Now you... (Pick as many as apply if more than one do)

A. Still remain uncertain what to believe.

B. Believe in the majority faith, El.

C. Believe in the minority faith, the direct worship of the Melachim.

D. I hold to the views of Athar, Asherah and the Great Fish.

E. I do not believe in gods.

4. Do you have a favorite Ophanim? Most people in Zepath do. The most popular ones in Zepath include...

A. No, I do not have a favorite Ophanim.

B. Smattas, the patron of Justice and Law who smites evil doers and saves the innocent. The majority faith holds him as no less than El's right hand. The minority faith believe he rules his brothers and sisters in Paradise. Smattas is the favorite of Tudiya.

C. Marnal, the patron of mercy, healing, childbirth, forgiveness and desperation, who cleans up the collateral damage caused by the battles of other Ophanim. Marnal is the favorite of your mother. Marnal is said to be both genders, as are some of the Melachim.

D. Ophal, patron of metal working, masons, masonry, writing and unknown arts. She is popular among scribes and intellectuals and few others in Zepath but is more popular in larger cities. Ophal is the favorite of Danal's eldest sister, Rathal.

E. Badoma, the patron of farming, fields and growing things as well as alcohol and introspection. She is the favorite of your friend, the beggar Ephat, who is rather fond of drink.

F. Yafef, the patron of fisherman, fishing, the rivers, moon and sea who guides the moon across the night sky.

G. Ganal, who guards the top of Mount Har and the way to Paradise and tends to those souls who climb the mountain. He is the favorite of Bareen and her followers believe that Ganal let Labaras by, into Paradise.

H. Xuriel, the patron of artists, artistry, merry making, poetry, singing and dancing who painted the stars upon the night sky. Xuriel is Ishamal's favorite.

I. Faradnu, the patron of war, combat and the struggle between mankind and monsters. He is Danal's favorite because the stories of his battles are exciting! Aaron shares this enthusiasm.

J. Even though almost everyone has a favorite Ophanim, I have listened closely to the lessons of Zebanetha who gently tells the people of the city that it is not right to pick a favorite, since that is a small jump to worshiping them directly. I have no favorite for this reason.

K. There are quite a few other Ophanim and even a few other Melachim, who though not as great as the Ophanim, are still popular. You decided you favored another one, instead. If you want to pick one who is said to be the patron of other things, ask what those things are, I will tell you which is said to represent those things, if there is one.

L. Damat, the patron of of travel, trade, commerce and exploration. It is believed in the city that he guided Zepa to the spot where Zepath was built. He is generally popular within the city but is said to be one of the lesser Ophanim.

5. After having lived in Zepath for three years, made friends and learned more of these people, you, at this particular moment, consider yourself to be...
A. A Zepathan, one of the men of Ur, the cities of this land.
B. A tribesmen from the village of Athar.
C. Both.
D. Neither.
E. I don't know! Why are you asking me? I don't like to think about these sorts of things!
F. Something else. Fill in.

...but much more happened to me in the last year than my continuing education in matters secular and holy, some matters far more pleasing and immediate.

Naomi, Danal's youngest sister is only two or three years older than you and growing more beautiful and well shaped with each day. When you first arrived she found you strange and exotic, asking you many questions and giggling at the strange way you spoke. Yet as time has passed, as you traded your loincloth for more normal clothing and your mastery of their language improved, she has become your friend.

Many evenings you would play with Danal by the rivers edge beyond the city and a few months ago, Naomi began to sometimes join you.

It has all been so easy and unawkward, she has been a good friend and you feel you can be yourself around her, without any judgments. You hardly noticed when Danal would play further and further ahead of the two of you with Snarls Barkley and the other dogs, your pace slowing, you cannot recall if she held your hand first, or you held hers, but you have held her hand each time the two of you walked out here for the last month. You could almost swear that your dog is keeping Danal and the other dogs busy on purpose to give the two of you time to be alone.

The breeze is gentle and setting sun is beautiful, but not as beautiful as Naomi, at this very moment you are wondering if you wish to be, or can be more than friends, uncertainty in your mind and hormones raging in your body, she is only a few inches shorter than you, she gently pulls you in for a kiss.

6. You...

A. Are shocked but pleasantly so, wrap your arms around her and kiss.

B. Stammer, shocked, take a step back and tell her that you cannot, you are afraid you will get in trouble. She is Tudiya's daughter!

C. Say no, Danal might catch you!

D. Say no, Danal might catch you... wait here... I will be back... ten... five minutes tops!

E. Do more than kiss.

F. Do significantly more than kiss. There is no one out here but you, her, the river reeds and somewhere far ahead playing with some dogs, Danal. Perform a reproductive act, if she is willing. Snarls Barkley will get Danal home.

Whose a good boy?!???

G. Something else. Write in.

In the village, there were no sexual taboos beyond incest and couplings outside of marriage sometimes occurred, generally without issue. Underage couplings were good old fashioned fun and preparation for marriage. Women went topless, including Jalitha. Men and women generally picked their spouses in your village. They may have been cannibals and systematically killed the sick, weak and elderly, but they knew how to have a good time.

Here, underage couplings are a serious crime among the elite and strategically ignored among everyone else. Most marriages are arranged.

By engaging in any covert physical activity with Naomi you will have grievously wronged her father, if caught. Her eight-and-a-half-foot-tall-lightning-eating-king-dragon-slayer-who-owns-you father.

But her lips are right there, she seems eager and is incredibly beautiful and you have never had an opportunity like this before. But did any of that even go through your mind at this moment?

DISCLAIMER: This game is rated PG 13 which means perverse, indescribably horrible torturous violence is fun for the whole family, but, no boobies, because, um, Jesus will cry, or something. At no point in this game will anything more graphic than giggling and moving beneath a blanket occur. Any graphic write in votes will be not be counted. We are on the same standard as The Land Between the Rivers.

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

Diogines fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 20, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tudya - Let's think big and learn to lead.
Barkof - We need to learn to fight.
Ephat - Would be a shame to waste our flute.

Mom's cool but we need to become independant.

2.C

3.B

Let's experience being the minority one last time before we fully switch to Praise El mode.

4.F - We'll become the fishers of men.

5.C We are Enkidel. But Og is stil here.

Enki, don't do something you'll regret later.
By which I mean "Kiss her (gently), you idiot."
A

edit: Land Between the Rivers had a jizz tsunami. I don't think it's a very good example of decency. :v:

my dad fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 4, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Diogines posted:

You have bad acne.

Well, poo poo. I guess we should have taken the skin cream at the shrine. Game over, guys.

Diogines posted:

You know that Tudiya is the king and he was picked to succeed his father, the last king.

Do we know if the kingship is patrilineal?

Diogines posted:

1. When you were not loafing with Danal, what adults did you spend time with? Pick up to three below and order them from most time spent, to least, of the three you picked.

G -- The old guy is impressive. He saved our life. He listened to us on the journey. We're building up a grateful personality and we should be very grateful to Ishmal and he's probably a second father (or grandfather) figure at this point.

I -- Learning more language, talking to all kinds of people (those who will tolerate us) about all kinds of things. The city is so different from our childhood and we want to know everything.

A -- Who doesn't want to be a MIGHTY MAN?

Diogines posted:

2. Even if you are uncertain what you believe, you surely offer prayers of some sort, as all do within your society? Who do you pray to, when you have a reason to pray?

B. El, the majority view.

We've seen the power of Tudiyas and all of his followers, especially Ishmal, first-hand. That's pretty amazing.

Diogines posted:

3. Another year has passed and you have been further influenced by the people of Zepath. You previously were uncertain what to believe. Now you... (Pick as many as apply if more than one do)

A. Still remain uncertain what to believe.

B. Believe in the majority faith, El.

Same reasoning as above, but we've also had first-hand experience with Asherah, so we know that there are other things out there. Not a strong denunciation of El, but the knowledge that there might, just maybe, be other options somewhere. But we've known El and his power for a long time.

Diogines posted:

4. Do you have a favorite Ophanim? Most people in Zepath do. The most popular ones in Zepath include...

L. Damat, the patron of of travel, trade, commerce and exploration. It is believed in the city that he guided Zepa to the spot where Zepath was built. He is generally popular within the city but is said to be one of the lesser Ophanim.

Exploration/travel is what started our interest in learning about whether we're slave or free.

Diogines posted:

5. After having lived in Zepath for three years, made friends and learned more of these people, you, at this particular moment, consider yourself to be...

A. A Zepathan, one of the men of Ur, the cities of this land.
B. A tribesmen from the village of Athar.
C. Both.
D. Neither.

All of the above. Man, being a teenager is hard.

G. Something else. Write in.

Return the kiss at first, but back off. Danal's like our brother and she's Danal's sister, so this feels very weird and like incest. Apologize and hug her, but say (in that awkward acne-covered teenage way) that we can't see her like that... for now.

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 5, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

tarepanda posted:

Do we know if the kingship is patrilineal?

You know it is not. The king of Zepath picks who he wishes to be the next king. He generally picks from his family, usually his children, usually his eldest son, but not always. With the exception of Ishamal, whose lineage is unknown to you, the rest of the Mighty Men are all close relatives of Tudiya.

tarepanda posted:

Is there one for exploration and learning? That's what started our interest in learning about whether we're slave or free.
There is an Ophanim associated with exploration, commerce, trade and travel, Damat. He is popular among traders and it is believed in the city that he guided Zepa to the spot where Zepath was built.

Added him as a lettered option.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Sweet Gorilla of Manila whatever shall we do?

1:
Tudiya - This one is really simple. Danal isn't interested in learning how to Rule so it's up to us, as his bestest of friends, to figure it out for him so we can help later. We could totally be the power behind the throne.
Barkof - It's time to start learning how to beat some face.
Ephat the Flute Hobo - You know who thinks practicing the flute is important? James Galway, the man with the golden flute and by El we should probably listen to him. We've got a magical flute it's time to learn how to play it right. What's a few apples and pastries?

2:
B - We pray to El, the big guy. We want to be in with the cool crowd, right?

3: B - Still down with the homies.

4:
Smattass the Smiter of Bitches - Really does any more need to be said? We know what we saw when Ishamal came and pulled our bacon out of the fire and we are pretty darn sure who was helping him. Gotta make sure we remember to thank him all the time for being totally awesome.

5:
C - We are both, of course. We have simply become civilized and taught not to walk with our knuckles dragging behind us.

6:
:nws:This song pretty much sums up what it is we need to do.:nws: NWS because of swearing.

Disclaimer: It ain't filthy because it's a sweet song. :colbert: