Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Will it be ported to Android?

Yeah; we're planning on doing iOS first, getting the kinks out then launching on Android, and maybe even taking a shot at PC distribution if it's reasonably well received. It runs, and is tested on PC and Android, it's mostly just about release logistics for each platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

TOOT BOOT posted:

In a word: no. The dude that runs Dinofarm is a pretentious douche and the game is buggy as hell.
Good to know. Thank you.

DalaranJ posted:

What are you going to be playing the game on?
(The answer is no, but I'm trying to find an alternative game for you.)
It was going to be an iPhone. There are classic roguelikes available for it but the tiny screen makes a game developed specifically for it almost a necessity. I was looking for a game that didn't require huge amounts of efforts, basically something interesting to pass the time and relax while also not being brainless.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
Is the enhanced version of Spelunky worth it or should I just keep playing the freeware version?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Is the enhanced version of Spelunky worth it or should I just keep playing the freeware version?

Tons of new stuff in the HD version and it god much prettier graphics. Totally worth it.
Also Multiplayer if you're into that stuff.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Dice Dice Baby posted:

It adds some new special areas and items (though I can't remember if Hell was in the freeware version), has unlockable characters, and makes some very slight tweaks to some of the mechanics. So probably worth it if you also like the change in art style, even more probably worth it if you wait for a steam sale.

e: Oh and multiplayer, like Jack Trades said. The co-op and deathmatch are both great local multiplayer games.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dice Dice Baby posted:

It's very much worth it if you already enjoy Spelunky, if you don't like Spelunky you won't enjoy the remake. If you can get it for Vita I would highly recommend that version.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

It's definitely worth it for anyone who enjoyed the original. It adds just enough to be sorta fresh and all.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Dice Dice Baby posted:

I would get the Steam version. The daily challenge is a great addition to the game and makes for a lot of fun, tense runs.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I hadn't bought spelunky yet, because, when they announced the game coming to pc, they said:

That link posted:

Spelunky will launch on Steam and GOG, followed shortly by the Humble Store.

I wanted to buy the Humble version because it comes with steam keys and DRM-free files (so you can actually play offline).

Obviously, though, either it's not actually going to be on the humble store, or they're taking their sweet time getting it up there.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The upgraded version of Spelunky is well worth it, if only to support the developers for making such a fantastic game.

quote:

Sproggiwood

This looks good. Definitely post here once it hits Android so that I remember to buy it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I hadn't bought spelunky yet, because, when they announced the game coming to pc, they said:

I wanted to buy the Humble version because it comes with steam keys and DRM-free files (so you can actually play offline).

Obviously, though, either it's not actually going to be on the humble store, or they're taking their sweet time getting it up there.

Yeah, I remember this too. I simply couldn't wait. Yu is involved somewhat with the Humble store (he does the icons for all the games at least, and Aquaria was in the first HB), so not only will it most certainly hit the Humble store, it'll probably also make it into a bundle in time.

I won't be surprised if he/Mossmouth waits on it, though, the game is freaking fantastic and should have a fairly consistent sales no matter how long it takes to go Humble.

And, when it does, I'll not only get it, but the Steam version should be included as well. So even though I jumped on the GOG version and lack the Steam extras, I'll eventually get all the features I want.

Spelunky freeware versus HD:
I played quite a bit of the freeware version and raved about it constantly. It's amazing and a fantastic demo for the for-pay version. When it came out, it was a wonderful proof of concept that was very well packaged.

The HD version is worth every penny of the full price, though, right now. Everything that should have been left alone was, everything that should have been improved, has been. There's a sufficient amount of extra content, a fantastic graphical improvement, and a great level of polish over everything. It's an absolutely stellar upgrade.

Let me put it this way: I remember opening Ducktales for Game Boy, slapping the cartridge in, and playing it, dying a lot, cursing, exploring, getting better, and beating it. There's a sense of newness and discovery, a game that's masterfully made, and knowing that I was experiencing something designed for me, my abilities, my likes and dislikes, etc. A perfect match.

If I do that with Ducktales now, or many other old titles, it's mostly nostalgia, even though the games are still quite good. With Spelunky, it's that perfect match again. It's made for someone who grew up playing "those games" without being a nostalgia rehash ride through those games. It's made for both the kid in me and the adult in me (and that includes how quickly I die, because I got other things to do usually).

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Binding of Isaac is a dollar on Steam right now. If you haven't tried it yet and you have any fondness for action roguelikes or whatever you want to call them, you'd be crazy to pass it up.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Binding of Isaac is a dollar on Steam right now. If you haven't tried it yet and you have any fondness for action roguelikes or whatever you want to call them, you'd be crazy to pass it up.

I tried to like it but it felt way too floaty. It was a pain in the rear end to kill enemies because of the projectile behavior and speed. Is there a way to upgrade your main attack that I missed?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Social Animal posted:

I tried to like it but it felt way too floaty. It was a pain in the rear end to kill enemies because of the projectile behavior and speed. Is there a way to upgrade your main attack that I missed?

About half the items change or upgrade your shots.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

dis astranagant posted:

About half the items change or upgrade your shots.

It never stops feeling like a lovely Flash game, though. The worst part is we know the devs can do better; Super Meat Boy has some of the best platformer handling of any game I've ever played.

EDIT: It's still enough fun to be worth it for one dollar, though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Binding of Isaac is really good in design but the execution is exceptionally awful. Can't wait for that remake.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It never stops feeling like a lovely Flash game, though. The worst part is we know the devs can do better; Super Meat Boy has some of the best platformer handling of any game I've ever played.

Well, that's because it is a Flash game and you really can't cut all the shittiness out of Flash.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Binding of Isaac is really good in design but the execution is exceptionally awful.

Basically, the opposite of what this guy said.

I paid ~£5 for those 200 hours of entertainment. I'm not a fan of the art-style or humour particularly, but mechanically, Binding of Isaac is brilliant.

Apparently a few people have weird performance issues. I've never seen the game dip below 60 FPS, and my CPU is coming on 5 years old now.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Yeah, if nothing else Ed McMillen is remaking Binding of Isaac. Big selling point is it not being in Flash. That said, it's given me a hell of a lot of entertainment for how little I paid for it.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

:goonsay: Actually these guys are doing the remake, though I don't know what that means in terms of the quality of the final product.

I'm still in on what Jack Trades said -- the game is great but it's in Flash, which is horrible. Didn't Edmund McMillen say in an interview that he can't patch the original game anymore because the program file is just huge and out of control?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Roctavian posted:

:goonsay: Actually these guys are doing the remake, though I don't know what that means in terms of the quality of the final product.

I'm still in on what Jack Trades said -- the game is great but it's in Flash, which is horrible. Didn't Edmund McMillen say in an interview that he can't patch the original game anymore because the program file is just huge and out of control?

I didn't know the specifics, but that's really good news. Their stuff is pretty high quality. And I'm pretty sure he said something along those lines at one point. The game being programmed in Flash reeeaaally does it no favors, because there have been a lot of issues for people where it will magically decide to slow down for some reason or another.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Yeah, Flash was not meant to handle such an expansive game, and unfortunately it definitely suffers for it. Still better than the average candy bar.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I have 141 hours in BoI and have beaten it(the cathedral) with every character, and I totally agree. The slippery movement/momentum based bullets/confusing hitbox in a game that sometimes seems like it wants to be a bullethell-lite is frustrating and honestly super dumb. I just have a massive weakness for randomization in general and there wasn't much else at the time to grab my attention.

By the way, teleglitch? loving fantastic.
The gameplay gets better and better as it goes on, and it gets super intense once you get to area 5 and onwards. The really good parts of the game are past the early bit the demo lets you try(bit of a shame since I feel playing only the start could give a wrong impression), because melee only enemies aren't that hard to fight. Ranged enemies are very difficult and pretty drat stressful, though. (In a good way.) You really have to use your detector to avoid threats and engage them intelligently, because later on in the game the enemies get super, super powerful and your only chance of surviving is to outsmart them. Even just normal guards are scary, because they have basically the same weapons you have access to and take about the same amount of damage. If you don't get the drop on them, you're in trouble, and they're not nearly as bad as the combat robots that start showing up later, so you really really need to keep a look out and pay attention to your environment. It's not like a lot of games where you have weapons that hit nearly instantly, but your enemy's shots travel slowly so the player can dodge them-they shoot bullets just like you, and if you don't take them out before they can shoot or get the hell behind cover, you're getting hit. And they often pack much more heat than you. You can't face the giant robot snake with dual miniguns head on.

And I really like the inventory management, because it's simple and clean. You have one menu that holds your items, and you don't need to figure out any crafting recipes or anything, pressing the crafting button immediately lets you see what you can make with what you have, without taking you out of the game. It's all very straightforward, and I like that a lot, because it doesn't get in the way of the meat of the game, which is tense planning followed by short and deadly encounters.

basically I could gush forever

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
They're changing the whole art style for the Binding of Isaac remake, which I'm not a big fan of - I enjoyed seeing all the different changes to Isaac when you picked up new items, and that'll be much harder to pick out in the pixelated style they're going for. Apparently they're adding more stuff, though, which might win me over.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm not too big of the smooth, flash-y sort of cartoon look the original had, but more importantly it's gonna have local co-op and 'competitive load-outs'(players can do the same run for streams etc.), not to mention whatever they haven't disclosed.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Cyphoderus posted:

It was going to be an iPhone. There are classic roguelikes available for it but the tiny screen makes a game developed specifically for it almost a necessity. I was looking for a game that didn't require huge amounts of efforts, basically something interesting to pass the time and relax while also not being brainless.

I don't actually play mobile roguelikes, so take this with a grain of salt. But the guy who ports Brogue over to Windows (and consults on the design) also ported Cardinal Quest to iOS. From playing the kongragate version, I can tell you that it is sort of an incredibly simple roguelike, but it definitely has some strategy behind it. The UI also seems streamlined for mobile really well.

..btt posted:

Apparently a few people have weird performance issues. I've never seen the game dip below 60 FPS, and my CPU is coming on 5 years old now.

Weird performance issues? In a Flash game? Well I never.

Punch Rockgroin
Jun 14, 2011

by Ralp

Cyphoderus posted:

WazHack is pretty neat and it's free, so it might be worth a try. It's a sidescroller with all the typical stuff that you'd expect from a roguelike: It's turn-based, has permadeath and a randomly generated dungeon, lots of loot, unidentified potions and scrolls, items can be cursed etc. I still haven't played it much, but I'm pretty impressed so far. There's also 868-Hack which looks interesting, but I haven't tried it yet.

e: vvvv come over to the crawl thread, it's tournament time! :dance:

Punch Rockgroin fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 30, 2013

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks to the dudes earlier who recommended Crawl web tiles. Already died my first death on a character I was liking, so the initiation is complete!

necromancer mummy - second or third level in and some goblin type uses an invis potion and just totally screws me

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Cardinal Quest is a really good portable roguelike. It suffers a bit from an easily breakable magic system, and a lack of a real ending, but its a lot of fun getting there the first time. Ido appears on roguelike radio a bunch and talks about roguelike design, so it's interesting playing the game while also keeping in mind some of his design philosophies. Highly recommended in any case.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Punch Rockgroin posted:

WazHack is pretty neat and it's free, so it might be worth a try. It's a sidescroller with all the typical stuff that you'd expect from a roguelike: It's turn-based, has permadeath and a randomly generated dungeon, lots of loot, unidentified potions and scrolls, items can be cursed etc. I still haven't played it much, but I'm pretty impressed so far. There's also 868-Hack which looks interesting, but I haven't tried it yet.

e: vvvv come over to the crawl thread, it's tournament time! :dance:

Last time I downloaded WazHack on android it was just a free trial, and it ended a few levels in and asked you to buy the full game. Are you sure it's free?

Punch Rockgroin
Jun 14, 2011

by Ralp
I didn't know that, I guess I just didn't get far enough.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

IronicDongz posted:

Teleglitch is pretty hard you guys. I keep getting my poo poo kicked in by one of the first enemies with a gun I run into.

I feel like Teleglitch is a good game with some flawed design. For how much melee combat there is it's not very good and for how many gun enemies there are later in the game there's no way to evade or dodge or ever even run away from encounters. There really needs to be a seal door mechanic or hell anything other than hoping dudes get snagged on geometry as a way of avoiding combat temporarily. As it stands now if you don't have armor at all times you're going to get murdered immediately and there's not a drat thing you can do about it.

Also I feel like the randomization of the levels really hurts the game. After about 10 games you start to realize that every level is pretty much exactly the same just shaped different and you'll never find weird or wacky stuff early on like in a Binding of Isaac. It really hurts replayability.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Are there any party based games where you control a couple characters continuously? Almost like Warhammer Quest but as a good roguelike?

I've only really played Rogue Legacy, FTL, a couple tile-based mobile games, and just grabbed Binding of Isaac on sale. I want something more deliberate and strategic like FTL for my next roguelike endeavor. And like I said, if there's anything where you build a party from a bunch of classes or something that'd be really cool.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

The Royal Scrub posted:

Are there any party based games where you control a couple characters continuously? Almost like Warhammer Quest but as a good roguelike?

Deepshock has been working on a game called Bardess where you can have a party of up to six. It's early on but the preview builds he shared in the last roguelike thread were full of potential. IIRC you controlled one at a time but could jump between them.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.
I haven't had much time to work on it -recently-, but I'm still doing that.

http://jordansthomas.netne.net/files/Bardess/Bardess07.zip Here is the link to the latest version.
http://jordansthomas.netne.net/portfolio-files.html Here's a cleaner looking link to it.

Recent changes include a direct link to the help file in the main menu, the inclusion of diagonals and square rather than diamond shaped ranges, and a cleaner UI during play. It still needs OpenTK to work (for some key control functionalities that don't work with the stock C# key system) but I'll see what I can do about changing that.

deepshock fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 30, 2013

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Are there any online co-op rougelikes? I know Chance of rain is coming out at some point, but I was wondering if there are any out yet.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

deepshock posted:

I haven't had much time to work on it -recently-, but I'm still doing that.

http://jordansthomas.netne.net/files/Bardess/Bardess07.zip Here is the link to the latest version.
http://jordansthomas.netne.net/portfolio-files.html Here's a cleaner looking link to it.

Recent changes include a direct link to the help file in the main menu, the inclusion of diagonals and square rather than diamond shaped ranges, and a cleaner UI during play. It still needs OpenTK to work (for some key control functionalities that don't work with the stock C# key system) but I'll see what I can do about changing that.

What's a Backdoor.Gootkit?

MalwareBytes is detecting one.

The worst submarine posted:

Are there any online co-op rougelikes? I know Chance of rain is coming out at some point, but I was wondering if there are any out yet.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 30, 2013

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

That's not quite co-op, though. Each person is in their own game. It's cooperative for the tournaments where everyone's scores are pooled for team scores, but not in the sense that you have more than one person in the same game.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

he asked for a co-op game, crawl could be considered cooperative only in the meta sense that if you ask in IRC people will watch your game and advise you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

The Royal Scrub posted:

What's a Backdoor.Gootkit?

MalwareBytes is detecting one.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

I've tested it inside and out. It was a false positive. I've compiled it on other completely clean computers and tested each other program and file associated with the game's compilation and the game immediately, with the gootkit only showing up on the main exe. Unless it's automatically getting infected the moment it gets compiled regardless of the computer it's on, it's a false positive.

Also, Malware Bytes is the only antivirus checker to even find anything like that on there. Every other thing I have (Superantispyware, Microsoft Security Essentials, Adaware) calls it clean.

deepshock fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 30, 2013