Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Chinatown posted:

I was a service valet at a Lexus dealership for a few months (worst job ever).

People with money are often tremendous idiots.

But but but captains of industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Chinatown posted:

Like buying a Lexus.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Chinatown posted:

$40,000 Altima Lease anyone?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Paying more than $50,000 for a set of wheels should mean it never needs maintenance, dammit. Oh well I'll just get a new one and make the same mistake. :homebrew:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Paying more than $50,000 for a set of wheels should mean it never needs maintenance, dammit. Oh well I'll just get a new one and make the same mistake. :homebrew:

The only thing I'd ever pay that much for is the V-10 TDI Touareg

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chinatown posted:

Oooh gently caress that. I have serious post-traumatic stress poo poo going on from dealing with lexus customers when I worked at a Toyota dealer (dual brand dealership). They expect you to re-engineer the car because it does something they don't like which they chose not to bring up when they test-drove the bloody thing.

One guy was complaining that the car made a clunking noise when, and only when, he drove over catseyes. So he would deliberately drive down the center of the road with the right hand wheels on the catseyes so he could hear the noise and complain about it. We told him the car wasn't designed to be driven over catseyes and, really, he should just not drive on them constantly.

Guess how well that went down.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Chinatown posted:

The better way of phrasing this is that having a lot of money doesn't magically turn people into not idiots.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

torpedan posted:

It looks like the adhesive holding the filter together gave out. If that is what happened, the same thing would likely happen to a spin-on filter made from the same materials.

The difference is that a spin-on with that type of failure would still be mostly contained to the filter itself, so you wouldn't be scooping poo poo.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
A Rover with a BMW engine would have been from what the late 1990s early 2000s? It's like a $9k car at this point. One doesn't have to be rich to afford one, although maintainance is probably another issue.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Range rover was rover v8 up to 02.
03-05 is M62 bmw.
05.5+ was jag.
discoveries 1/2 was rover v8
Lr3/4 is jag.

Early L322s i've seen for as low as 8500 out here. anything older? they'll pay you to take it away.

They like maintenance. Keeps me in business :v:

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 19, 2013

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

The difference is that a spin-on with that type of failure would still be mostly contained to the filter itself, so you wouldn't be scooping poo poo.

But you'll still end up scooping poo poo from the pan. May take a while, and most of that poo poo may be metallic, but it'll happen.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

This flexplate made an interesting noise when it spun over.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
They might be taking the term flexplate too literally. What did it sound like when the torque converter engaged?

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
Somewhere between dubstep and a cheese grater orchestra.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
So basically a Transformer orgy.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
With no lube.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The phrase "skeletons loving on a tin roof" comes to mind.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

No no, that's diesel.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

KozmoNaut posted:

I usually go with "skeletons masturbating in a filing cabinet".

Here's what my transmission/torque converter failure sounded like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3FHhcWvCe4

I'd guess flexplate but the crank position sensor reluctor wheel is on the outside of the flexplate edge on that vehicle and the other symptoms pointed toward a grenaded torque converter, trans fluid pump, or one of the planetary gearsets. Sadly I had no way to get it home and never got to post mortem the trans.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Spiders are one thing, but the snakes are another. I believe in Tasmania there are only 3 types or snakes found on the island. The beauty of it is if you're bit there's no need to worry about finding out if it is venomous or not (they all are). The concern if it is the one that isn't deadly.

We use a polyvalent anti-venom in such a case, otherwise they use a venom id kit. Works in the same principle as a drug testing kit. :straya::science:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

Here's what my transmission/torque converter failure sounded like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3FHhcWvCe4

I had to watch that twice to realize that it wasn't filmed next to train tracks, with a train going by in the background.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Slavvy posted:

Oooh gently caress that. I have serious post-traumatic stress poo poo going on from dealing with lexus customers when I worked at a Toyota dealer (dual brand dealership). They expect you to re-engineer the car because it does something they don't like which they chose not to bring up when they test-drove the bloody thing.

One guy was complaining that the car made a clunking noise when, and only when, he drove over catseyes. So he would deliberately drive down the center of the road with the right hand wheels on the catseyes so he could hear the noise and complain about it. We told him the car wasn't designed to be driven over catseyes and, really, he should just not drive on them constantly.

Guess how well that went down.

This. Right. loving. Here.

This is the kindred bond between auto techs and IT people.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Farking Bastage posted:

I would have told him to turn the radio up.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Farking Bastage posted:

Never thought of it this way, but you're so right.

Does the fact that I've done both mean that I hate myself?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Motronic posted:

Never thought of it this way, but you're so right.

Does the fact that I've done both mean that I hate myself?

I think it gives you the right to hate everyone else.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I think it gives you the right to hate everyone else.

Working in IT makes me hate everyone that uses a computer. They ALL want to call at some point and ask me a question for personal computers because I'm good at computers and I love doing this for work and in my free time and giving them free tech support and what do you mean you do things outside of work?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
IT is worse.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Slavvy posted:

I had the opposite to deal with, service was careless as gently caress with my old SC400, scratching it and other avoidable bullshit. I complained to corporate and when the GM found out I complained to them he banned me from the dealership. 6 months later he was fired for shouting at a customer in front of a secret shopper.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bitch, please.

"Hey can you have a look at my friend's/cousin's car?"
"What's wrong with it?"
"I dunno"
"What sort of car is it?"
"I dunno"
"Well why am I looking at it??"
"IT JUST DOESNT GO DO YOU KNOW WHAT'S WRONG WITHOUT SEEING IT?!"

Followed by

"Slavvy can fix the car sure definitely he loves doing people favours!"

Followed by

"What do you mean I have to replace the engine? What does that mean?? Can you do it for a box of beer? It's easy right, I've heard Toyotas are really easy to work on!"

At least in IT you just sit at a bloody desk and don't get covered in dirt.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
And replacing a motherboard is a bit less intense that replacing an engine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Let me tell you about Dell and HP servers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dells aren't bad, but HP can piss right off.

The worst I've had to deal with in my career is sparcstations, installing sbus cards was torture because you had to push really loving hard on a bunch of pointy solder joints to get them to snap into place. Like walking on a bed of nails, but with your thumbs.

Maybe it's because it's a hobby and not a career, but I always have more fun fixing my cars than computers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Dells aren't bad, but HP can piss right off.

The worst I've had to deal with in my career is sparcstations, installing sbus cards was torture because you had to push really loving hard on a bunch of pointy solder joints to get them to snap into place. Like walking on a bed of nails, but with your thumbs.

Maybe it's because it's a hobby and not a career, but I always have more fun fixing my cars than computers.

A couple of the earlier model Dell Poweredges were an absolute bitch to do work on, especially their larger ones, larger than 2U.

To stay slightly on topic:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 21, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

A couple of the earlier model Dell Poweredges were an absolute bitch to do work on, especially their larger ones, larger than 2U.

To stay slightly on topic:

Looks like the loser in a Korean starcraft tournament.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Bitch, please.

"Hey can you have a look at my friend's/cousin's car?"
"What's wrong with it?"
"I dunno"
"What sort of car is it?"
"I dunno"
"Well why am I looking at it??"
"IT JUST DOESNT GO DO YOU KNOW WHAT'S WRONG WITHOUT SEEING IT?!"

Followed by

"Slavvy can fix the car sure definitely he loves doing people favours!"

Followed by

"What do you mean I have to replace the engine? What does that mean?? Can you do it for a box of beer? It's easy right, I've heard Toyotas are really easy to work on!"

At least in IT you just sit at a bloody desk and don't get covered in dirt.
Swap computer in for car, engine for any computer part, and toyota for any pc manufactorer (especially apple) and this quote still works.

Also staying clean while working in IT? Maybe if you work in a call center. Otherwise if you support people you're going to end up crawling under desks and touchy nasty loving computers. Or you might support shop computers in a factory and

there's a reason IT got company uniforms at that place.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Until you do it on an old server and have no idea if that thing is coming back up in one piece now that it has been turned off for the first time in 6 years, there are no backups because no one in IT even knew this thing existed, and FIXITFIXITFIXIT THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION! WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S COMPLETELY DEAD YOU TOUCHED IT LAST THIS IS YOUR FAULT.

IT and Auto techs have the same job but with different tools.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'll agree to that. The job is functionally almost identical. If you took away every single technical term out of people's work stories they're basically indistinguishable.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Galler posted:

Until you do it on an old server and have no idea if that thing is coming back up in one piece now that it has been turned off for the first time in 6 years, there are no backups because no one in IT even knew this thing existed, and FIXITFIXITFIXIT THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION! WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S COMPLETELY DEAD YOU TOUCHED IT LAST THIS IS YOUR FAULT.

IT and Auto techs have the same job but with different tools.

"Our RAID Array just failed....yes we were aware that there were some failed drives...no we didn't replace them and rebuild the array. Backups? What backups?"

I have a love/hate relationship with being an IT consultant.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CommieGIR posted:

"Our RAID Array just failed....yes we were aware that there were some failed drives...no we didn't replace them and rebuild the array. Backups? What backups?"

It should be legal to punch that person in the mouth, and then leave a steamer on their desk before you leave.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

It should be legal to punch that person in the mouth, and then leave a steamer on their desk before you leave.

They had a tape system too, and it was still running...but someone took all the tapes out and never put new tapes in to keep the backups flowing.

Instead of swapping out the weekly backups to move offsite, they just kept taking tapes out of the unit until their were none left :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I would argue that being an auto mechanic is better than working IT because at least in most shops the customer is not allowed into the shop, allowing you to work on their pieces of poo poo in relative peace. In IT they are right next to you the entire time shrieking in your ear and suddenly all the little tools in your bag start looking like excellent ways to torture the obnoxious waste of life until they stop making noises beyond maybe a softening gurgle, the light dimming slowly in their eyes...

I only work on my own computers these days.