Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Uncle Enzo posted:

It's strange for me walking through a hardware store and I see these kinds of things everywhere, everything adjustable and ratcheting etc. I bought an Ace-branded socket set for $20 that I've been really happy with, a cheap set of wrenches, and a deep-socket set for changing sparkplugs. It's a shame that people seem so intent on rather than having the proper tools having one tool that does the job really poorly.

Not that my stuff is like some top-of-the-line super nice tools, but I have never stripped a bolt yet.

I am that guy who spends 2 hours cursing something before just driving 10 mins to the store to get the right tool. Said problem takes 10 seconds and I say to myself why do I do this???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

In case of accidental ingestion, please consult a mortician.

Uncle Enzo posted:

It's strange for me walking through a hardware store and I see these kinds of things everywhere, everything adjustable and ratcheting etc. I bought an Ace-branded socket set for $20 that I've been really happy with, a cheap set of wrenches, and a deep-socket set for changing sparkplugs. It's a shame that people seem so intent on rather than having the proper tools having one tool that does the job really poorly.

Not that my stuff is like some top-of-the-line super nice tools, but I have never stripped a bolt yet.

I think they're one of those things they make for people who don't know the difference. I could absolutely see someone buying the adjustable tools as a gift, thinking "My husband has 35 different wrenches. If I buy him this one, it will replace all of those!" Though I will say, these are not a bad thing to have one or two of.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Mr. Yuk posted:

Though I will say, these are not a bad thing to have one or two of.

That thing is loving brutal and on alignments it holds up long after even a Snap-On wrench open-end will flex and slip. It's hands-down the best tool this thread ever showed me.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Uncle Enzo posted:

They are not really for people who regularly need tools but for people who might use it once or twice a year and don't want to keep a full set of metric and imperial wrenches and sockets. Hell I have full sets and still run into situations where none of my tools fit and have to resort to an adjustable wrench or I have a set of universal deep sockets that came in handy on some 4 point nuts awhile back. Also one of the bolts on my Suzuki didn't fit any metric or imperial wrench/socket and I had to use a universal on it. Years back I had a Craftsman universal box end wrench where the handle acted like a cam and I really liked having it but it disappeared along the way and I haven't seen another like it.

Adjustable wrenches are funny in that they are very simple tools but the quality (and usability) level between a good brand like Crescent is miles and miles above cheaper brands/generics.

Edit; forgot my question. Is there really much difference between cotton buffing wheels? Looking and they range in price from $6 - 25 each.

wormil fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 16, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Splizwarf posted:

That thing is loving brutal and on alignments it holds up long after even a Snap-On wrench open-end will flex and slip. It's hands-down the best tool this thread ever showed me.

That thing is loving amazing and I knew I needed to buy one the first time I saw one in a friends toolbag.

I'm not surprised at all that it holds up that well under pressure - a hell of a lot of preload on the jaws will do that, even the most finely machined, strongest box wrench doesn't have that going for it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I've never seen a mole grip and an adjustable spanner have a baby before, but now I think I need one.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I was looking at this set: http://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-18-Volt-Lithium-ion-4-Tool-Super/dp/B00AM0FD8W/ref=sr_1_20?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1384669350&sr=1-20
As it has a reciprocating saw included.

I work on the side with my step-father. Right now, we have a craftsman drill/saw that has seen lots of use. I'm looking to pick him up a set for christmas. Anyone have experience with that tool under Ryobi? or other brand suggestions. He is a bit of a jack of all trade. That old type that knows how to do a hundred things mostly as he had to do them himself.

I mean, I'm not buying that unless I can find it in blue. My god, bright lime green.

Also, how do you usually keep abreast of ongoing sales/specials? I hesitate to buy things now, if there might be a set on sale here soon.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Johnny Aztec posted:

I was looking at this set: http://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-18-Volt-Lithium-ion-4-Tool-Super/dp/B00AM0FD8W/ref=sr_1_20?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1384669350&sr=1-20
As it has a reciprocating saw included.

I work on the side with my step-father. Right now, we have a craftsman drill/saw that has seen lots of use. I'm looking to pick him up a set for christmas. Anyone have experience with that tool under Ryobi? or other brand suggestions. He is a bit of a jack of all trade. That old type that knows how to do a hundred things mostly as he had to do them himself.

I mean, I'm not buying that unless I can find it in blue. My god, bright lime green.

Also, how do you usually keep abreast of ongoing sales/specials? I hesitate to buy things now, if there might be a set on sale here soon.

Ryobi's strength is value. Compare to Dewalt/Milwaukee/Makita/Bosch which are higher quality but more money. Don't buy from Amazon, that set is $179 from Home Depot. Home Depot has an exclusive on Ryobi I believe, it looks like someone is just reselling on Amazon. Also if you're willing to spend $250 consider spending $50 more as there are a lot of $299 6 tool Ryobi combo kits on Home Depot's website right now.

Also consider what else you might want in the future because you'll want to stick with the same brand once you have the batteries. Ryobi has a lot of decent yard tools, while other brands have other options.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Right. I was mostly just checking prices/what sets were open. Bosch has a sawzall for 112 and a drill with 2 batteries for 140. Might just buy the bits separate.
There are so many choices! It's hard to know what is crap and what isnt.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I decided to pick up a Milwaukee Drill set that comes with two batteries, and pick up the M18 Fuel sawzall. That thing looks swank as all hell!
Plus, someones earlier comment about Milwaukee having big fans and whatnot that runs off the same source. Could be useful to have.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

wormil posted:

Edit; forgot my question. Is there really much difference between cotton buffing wheels? Looking and they range in price from $6 - 25 each.

The cheap ones tend to come apart a lot faster than the higher end ones. I have a couple cheap Ryobi ones because that is all my local HD sells and they sling bits of thread and fabric everywhere every time I use them. They still work, but they are exceedingly messy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

asdf32 posted:

Ryobi's strength is value. Compare to Dewalt/Milwaukee/Makita/Bosch which are higher quality but more money. Don't buy from Amazon, that set is $179 from Home Depot. Home Depot has an exclusive on Ryobi I believe, it looks like someone is just reselling on Amazon. Also if you're willing to spend $250 consider spending $50 more as there are a lot of $299 6 tool Ryobi combo kits on Home Depot's website right now.

Also consider what else you might want in the future because you'll want to stick with the same brand once you have the batteries. Ryobi has a lot of decent yard tools, while other brands have other options.

Their other strength is weaseling out of their warranty by any means necessary, if you buy something from them, read all the fine print and register your poo poo on their website by serial number within days of buying it. And keep your receipt and packaging. Don't just assume that if the package says 3 year extended warranty, they'll give it to you if you prove purchase date etc, because they'll tell you to get hosed. In my case it was less than a year.

I'm a little sour about those fuckers still. And I haven't caused enough damage to their sales numbers yet to consider my retribution for their lovely warranty weaseling complete :v:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Same goes with rigid. Decent tools, great value, and the lifetime warranty is not something to get lax on.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
On the note of watching for sales I use the goon-made camelcamelcamel.com to monitor for the prices I want on amazon.

Plane question. If I'm looking to make things like shelves, tables, desks, etc should I be looking into getting hand planes or a jointer/planer?

Additionally if it's hand planes what should I get? People seem fond of the old black stanley (pre 1950) ones? Should I just keep an eye on craigslist for them or is there a decent plane out there that is cheaper than the lee valley tools ones. ALSO, what size to look for, #5? or get bigger or smaller or multiple different sizes?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Squibbles posted:

On the note of watching for sales I use the goon-made camelcamelcamel.com to monitor for the prices I want on amazon.

Plane question. If I'm looking to make things like shelves, tables, desks, etc should I be looking into getting hand planes or a jointer/planer?

Additionally if it's hand planes what should I get? People seem fond of the old black stanley (pre 1950) ones? Should I just keep an eye on craigslist for them or is there a decent plane out there that is cheaper than the lee valley tools ones. ALSO, what size to look for, #5? or get bigger or smaller or multiple different sizes?

This video will explain it better than I can.
http://video.pbs.org/video/2172600556/

As for power vs hand; well that's up to you. How energetic are you? Budget-wise hand planes can be less expensive by a slim margin if you don't mind repairing and tuning. When it comes to brand, the Stanleys are popular because they are common and fairly well made but there were other good brands. It's kind of a quagmire which is why most people just buy Stanleys.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I bought an anant no 4 thinking that it'd be fine if my $30 Stanley block plane was fine and regret it. So far I've been completely unable to get it work well even after hours of sharpening and fiddling. I'm sure my complete lack of experience has something to do with it, but the little Stanley block plane was up and running after just an hour or so of sharpening and tweaking.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

powderific posted:

I bought an anant no 4 thinking that it'd be fine if my $30 Stanley block plane was fine and regret it. So far I've been completely unable to get it work well even after hours of sharpening and fiddling. I'm sure my complete lack of experience has something to do with it, but the little Stanley block plane was up and running after just an hour or so of sharpening and tweaking.

I still have memories of highschool wood shop where we had to plane the surface of the desks since people had been writing on them. Pretty much every single person complained about their planes not working well (including me) only to have the teacher come over and demonstrate with the "broken" plane and carve up beautiful long ribbons of wood with no problem at all.

Stupid "skill" requirements for manual tools :p

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Spade bits... some people hate them but I've always found them very useful and the Irwins I have give me a nice clean hole if I'm careful starting and drill from both sides. The downside is they aren't very straight and want to wobble a bit which is more of a problem in my drill press or lathe.

I found these Dewalt spade bits and they look beefy and have good reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW1587-8-Inch-1-Inch-Assortment/dp/B0001LQYJ4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1384799704&sr=8-3&keywords=spade+bit+set

My concern is that the chamfered corners will not leave a clean entry. Anyone used them?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Squibbles posted:

I still have memories of highschool wood shop where we had to plane the surface of the desks since people had been writing on them. Pretty much every single person complained about their planes not working well (including me) only to have the teacher come over and demonstrate with the "broken" plane and carve up beautiful long ribbons of wood with no problem at all.

Stupid "skill" requirements for manual tools :p

I don't disagree with that, but the Anant plane pretty clearly wouldn't have produced ribbons of wood for anyone out of the box. It took a couple of hour with an extra coarse stone just to get an actual edge on the iron instead of a big flat spot. A bench grinder would probably have made the whole process a lot less tedious I'm sure.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Can anyone tell me where I can source new blades for this little saw or what this type of saw is called? The balde is about 6" long. It came with a bunch of other stuff when my grandpa passed and I love it for small projects but the blade is pretty much poo poo at this point. Sorry about the poo poo picture.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Looks like a hacksaw blade would fit it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

wormil posted:

Spade bits... some people hate them but I've always found them very useful and the Irwins I have give me a nice clean hole if I'm careful starting and drill from both sides. The downside is they aren't very straight and want to wobble a bit which is more of a problem in my drill press or lathe.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW1587-8-Inch-1-Inch-Assortment/dp/B0001LQYJ4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1384799704&sr=8-3&keywords=spade+bit+set

My concern is that the chamfered corners will not leave a clean entry. Anyone used them?

They leave a little bit of a ragged edge but a horrible one. Either start it with a hole saw then switch (which negates the speed/ease advantage of spade bits) or route out the hole afterwards.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

wormil posted:

If you want fast, clean holes you should try the Forstner bits.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Forstner bits are fantastic, but they're expensive enough I don't like to use them unless I absolutely have to; for everything else, I just use normal spade bits.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

wormil posted:

What about forstner bits? They leave the cleanest holes IMO but are not as fast cutting as spade bits

Edit: Doh, already covered

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

GD_American posted:

They leave a little bit of a ragged edge but a horrible one. Either start it with a hole saw then switch (which negates the speed/ease advantage of spade bits) or route out the hole afterwards.

That's what I suspected. After looking through my bits again I realized it isn't the Irwins that are wobbly, I had some other brand also and they were the problem.

Sir Cornelius posted:

If you want fast, clean holes you should try the Forstner bits.

I would like to have a full set of Forstner bits (not self feeding) that wouldn't break the bank, recommendations?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Went by Home Depot to look at their Milwaukee items. They didn't really have much to pick from, but back in their clearance rack I found this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...36#.Uo_WoeKiOTM

Was listed as 99 new, marked down to 85. I looked in it, was missing the charger. Talked to a worker there, as I was just going to buy a new one, but couldn't find it. That was the last one they had. Seemed like that had an M18 drill Fuel set that was missing the drill, so they threw the charger in from that to mine. Tried to talk them into selling me the battery at a discount as well, but nah, full price on that, which is 79 for the compacts.

I am going to check Lowes tomorrow. Maybe I can find me a good deal on a FUEL Sawzall!

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

wormil posted:

That's what I suspected. After looking through my bits again I realized it isn't the Irwins that are wobbly, I had some other brand also and they were the problem.

I would like to have a full set of Forstner bits (not self feeding) that wouldn't break the bank, recommendations?

I bought the cheapy set in a wood box from Ebay (theres a bunch of them, they're all the same). Like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-16pc-Fo...item2c6e769732. Got mine for $28 and while they are probably not the best, they cut well and are worth it. My most often used ones I have to touch up somewhat regularly

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Thanks Dwoloz, I'll check 'em out.

Look at this ridiculous thing I did... I needed a grinding wheel dresser and instead of spending $25 on a crappy Chinese one I decided to spend $20 on an awesome American one. I knew it was larger than I needed for a benchtop but looking at the pictures on ebay I didn't appreciate just how much larger.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

dwoloz posted:

I bought the cheapy set in a wood box from Ebay (theres a bunch of them, they're all the same). Like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-16pc-Fo...item2c6e769732. Got mine for $28 and while they are probably not the best, they cut well and are worth it. My most often used ones I have to touch up somewhat regularly

I second this.

A strong tool strategy is to buy everything you could possibly need in cheap Chinese quality (actually some of their products can be surprisingly decent, it's hit'n miss). Then replace everything you break or wear down with solid US, Japanese or Northern European quality as you go.

If you already know you're going to need a few bit-sizes a lot more than others, try to fit them in to your budget right away.

Cheap Chinese tools are a great way to figure out what you really need and use, and starting out spending your whole tool budget with a full set of quality Forestner bits right away is a bad idea. There's probably more than a few sizes you'll only get to use once in your lifetime.

In my opinion the weakest, and most expensive, tool strategy is to always buy premium quality tools and nothing else. You initially have a limited selection of tools and end up using the wrong tools for the job or turning a job down, because you haven't got the tools to do it.

Buy cheap and plenty and replace worn down poo poo with quality.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
What are people's plans for black friday? Anyone getting anything?

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

ASSTASTIC posted:

The largest dead-blow hammer known to man.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

ASSTASTIC posted:

A good night's sleep.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I got myself a shiny new digital torque wrench! I've never had a digital one before, but somehow I've wound up with all metric automobiles and motorcycles so I need to torque things to that highfalutin fig newton meter standard. I could convert it, but, gently caress you.

I got a craftsman. I have not been terribly impressed with their tool quality in general the last.... decade - but the wrench seems alright.

Votes on if I break a stud on my engine first time I use it? Also, how the gently caress do digital ones work? Presumably they beep, but can you still feel it in the grip when they indicate like the mechanical's click?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

ASSTASTIC posted:

My wife and I usually buy some good sheets every black friday. Head out about 10:30 that morning after a leisurely breakfast, swing by the closest target, pick up a set of 800-ct king-size sheets for 40$. We got some flannel sheets last year that when it's cold out make you feel like you're being hugged by God. We might try and get another set this year. Maybe some cheap movies, good time to pick up some good flicks for 3$ each.

Tool-wise, I'm planning on making some wooden mallets this year for gifts. Is apple an ok wood for the mallet head?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Uncle Enzo posted:

Is apple an ok wood for the mallet head?

Should be good, it's hard and I don't think it's prone to splitting.

oschesar
Apr 22, 2006

Pain or damage don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. -Al Swearengen
Shiny Globule
So I'm looking for a circular saw to do a little woodworking with. Any advice? Size? Brand? Features? Any features that I don't really need? I've been told that a left hand saw is the way to go.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

oschesar posted:

So I'm looking for a circular saw to do a little woodworking with. Any advice? Size? Brand? Features? Any features that I don't really need? I've been told that a left hand saw is the way to go.

Consider cordless. Unless you're framing a house you're probably not cutting all day so cordless is fine (and if you are lithium charges really fast anyway).

Otherwise I think inexpensive is the way to go - a circular saw is a pretty straightforward tool.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

oschesar posted:

I got this one a while back. It works fine, the cord is long and has had plenty of power to cut through 2x4s and plywood. The laser, though, is worthless. You can't see it in the daylight, but no matter, since it is slightly to the left of the cut. My cuts were off until I started ignoring the laser and just used the normal guide on the shoe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Do any tools have an accurate laser? It seems like no matter which brand, type of saw, or whatever I try, they're always just a little off.