Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Castomira posted:

I've been watching some 1997 PPVs lately, and I have to ask, is there some reason WWE seems to have completely forgotten Ken Shamrock ever existed? They never promote any of his matches on their YouTube channel, never bring him up on commentary or anything, and despite being in ostensibly pretty great shape (by wrestler standards,) he's never showed up on a nostalgia show or as a surprise Rumble entrant or anything. Did he burn his bridge with WWE or quietly go crazy or something?

To be fair, his WWE career spanned a little over 2 years, so there's not a ton of content to gloss over.

I'd assume the WWE wanted to avoid giving a competitor (TNA/UFC/other MMA promotions) any free advertising, as Shamrock was actively wrestling/fighting up until... 2011?

Lastly, he's almost 50 and hasn't wrestled a full-time schedule in over a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

MassRafTer posted:

Ken Shamrock went very crazy
Not that it matters, but are we talking Jim Hellwig crazy, Iron Sheik crazy or Tony Halme crazy? I'm assuming not Chris Benoit crazy.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Why are all the WWE Facts bumpers are about how popular they are? I am already watching the product so they don't need to sell me on it. Why not give a fun fact about WWE history like Andre the Giant wore a size 22 shoe or Hacksaw Jim Duggan won the first Royal Rumble?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Castomira posted:

Not that it matters, but are we talking Jim Hellwig crazy, Iron Sheik crazy or Tony Halme crazy? I'm assuming not Chris Benoit crazy.

He's the type who holds really public grudges and has been feuding with Dana White. He sued UFC and had the judgment go against him and now refuses to pay the legal fees he's required to. He says a lot of dumb stuff, and is basically an easily riled up idiot.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

bartok posted:

Why are all the WWE Facts bumpers are about how popular they are? I am already watching the product so they don't need to sell me on it. Why not give a fun fact about WWE history like Andre the Giant wore a size 22 shoe or Hacksaw Jim Duggan won the first Royal Rumble?
Because Vince has a very fragile ego and is trying to say to himself that the WWE is as relevant as the NFL or any of the competition that they face.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
To go back to Triple H for a second, the whole Punishment/paying his dues segment of his career is largely bullshit. He was never really derailed like a lot of current guys are. He debuted in late Spring 1995, and it was very clear right from the onset that they had big plans for him. You could tell he would at least be an Intercontinental champion at some point, and that title actually met something at that point.

His early pay per view victories were over guys like Bob Holly and Fatu. Those weren't the most heavily pushed guys, but at the very least Hunter was going over. He then won brief feuds over Henry Godwinn and Duke Droese. Once again, not the strongest opponents but at least Hunter was clearly being established as being higher on the pecking order than these 2. It's also worth noting that he was having competitive matches against guys like Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart during early 1996.

He did job to Ultimate Warrior at Wrestlemania 12 in 90 seconds. That is nowhere near the burial it's made out to be. Warrior needed someone who had some credibility to go over in his return match. It was also a case where Hunter at least got on the card, which is something that not many people had the opportunity to do at this point, especially as the iron man match ate up 1/3 of the ppv time. Allegedly, he was supposed to win the KOTR tourney as a reward for this job.

The clique incident happened a few months later, and he didn't get to win KOTR 1996 as a result. That's about the extent of his punishment though. He jobbed very infrequently after, and was IC champ by the fall. He was a staple on pay per views, and once he took over DX in 1998 he had a rocket strapped to his back.

In short, I imagine most current WWE guys would love this type of burial.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CopywrightMMXI posted:

In short, I imagine most current WWE guys would love this type of burial.

I imagine most current WWE guys would also love the type of "burial" that Daniel Bryan is currently "suffering".

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

MassRafTer posted:

Hansen had a huge feud with Bruno in the 70s.

...God, these had to be ugly as sin, I assume.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Jerusalem posted:

I imagine most current WWE guys would also love the type of "burial" that Daniel Bryan is currently "suffering".

If every Raw doesn't end with Daniel Bryan sitting on a throne placed on a pile of carcasses of his defeated opponents while all the divas offer to make love to him, we riot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CopywrightMMXI posted:

If every Raw doesn't end with Daniel Bryan sitting on a throne placed on a pile of carcasses of his defeated opponents while all the divas offer to make love to him, we riot.

A dog should also be at his side :colbert:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

VogeGandire posted:

He just dropped out of wrestling, and IIRC doesn't like WWE using his likeness without specifically asking him, which is why he was in WWE13.

Which is a shame, because I loving loved Shamrock. And his screaming.

His feud with the Rock was arguably the first time that Rocky stopped pulling his punches, so as to speak, and became the Rock. For that he played an important part in Wrestling History... being screwed by the Rock a whole bunch.

Jerusalem posted:

Just the thought of Triple H, John Cena or Randy Orton being buried on commentary made me laugh.

"Here comes The Game... that got an 8.8 on Gamespot zing!"

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

A dog should also be at his side :colbert:

Um his dog died, thanks for bringing it up, now he's probably sad.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Glamorama26 posted:

Um his dog died, thanks for bringing it up, now he's probably sad.

He has more than just one.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

But none of them ever wore the US title so they don't count.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

bobkatt013 posted:

He has more than just one.

No man has more than one dog. You have the one dog, then the rest. That's how dogs work.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Glamorama26 posted:

...God, these had to be ugly as sin, I assume.

As posted earlier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv3V1dFTsPs

That is some drat brawly brawling. I'd really like to see modern cage matches being a bit more like this.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Not sure where to put this, but does anyone have a link to previous Royal Rumble GDTs? I can't find them and I want to read nerds getting hype for the dumbest/best WWE event :(

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Yinlock posted:

Not sure where to put this, but does anyone have a link to previous Royal Rumble GDTs? I can't find them and I want to read nerds getting hype for the dumbest/best WWE event :(

Last year's slipped into April because apparently nobody closed it, and someone made a post three months later, and that throws off archive searching something fierce:

2013 Rumble thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3530606

2012:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3463509

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I'm watching Summerslam 89 and I can't help but wonder whether it was a rib on Hogan to pair him with a guy with a barber gimmick or if it was just because Hogan and Ed Leslie were besties.

Also Brutus Beefcake had some awesome music.

Also this is a bad show.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Whenever I flip through PPVs around that time, I'm amazed by how often Hercules seems to flip from face to heel. I swear he's on a different side every year for Survivor Series.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Grant DaNasty posted:

Speaking of HBK and drugs, when did WWF stop drug testing in the 90s? I remember they had strict testing after the steroid scandal that led to Warrior and British Bulldog leaving, and they started up again with the Wellness Program after Benoit.

Pulling this one from a bit back, I imagine it was because the drug testing in the 90s was the typical knee-jerk reaction from a business when a PR disaster like the steroid scandal happened. It happened for a bit, then slowly got dropped and it was actually after Eddie Guerrero died that the WWE introduced a very robust, organized, "here to stay" Wellness Program. People got dinged left, right and center throughout 2006/07 alone and established main-eventers getting suspended without any hesitation was unprecedented.

Edit: Also, the Wellness Program came into effect when Wrestler Death was really getting bad and continues to be an issue (especially with all the ex-WWE guys like Hall, Roberts and even Matt Hardy needing help) so it's going to be around for as long as WWE continues to be as public as it is.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 2, 2014

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The best part of summer slam 89 is how savage has to talk directly in Zeus's ear for 8 seconds everytime Zeus does something.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Grant DaNasty posted:

Speaking of HBK and drugs, when did WWF stop drug testing in the 90s? I remember they had strict testing after the steroid scandal that led to Warrior and British Bulldog leaving, and they started up again with the Wellness Program after Benoit.

I believe it was in 97 when the losses got really bad, so probably around summer.

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW

DeathChicken posted:

Whenever I flip through PPVs around that time, I'm amazed by how often Hercules seems to flip from face to heel. I swear he's on a different side every year for Survivor Series.

I think he only turned twice.

Originally a heel, then turned face after refusing to be DiBiase's slave,and then heel again with Power and Glory.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The coolest thing about Hercules was Power and Glory's tag finisher, the powerslam-diving splash combo. They got really good at timing that. All the teams in the 80s had two-man finishers. Demolition Decapitation, Rocker Dropper, Doomsday Device, P&G's aforementioned thing that I'm sure had a name, the Hart Attack, and so on. I'm sad that tag finishers like that seem to be rarer these days. It seems like there isn't as much of that in WWE now, even with the revitalized tag division. I know the Shield have the triple powerbomb and you might count the Wyatts' "lights go out lets all pummel some guy", but there don't seem to be as many teams with, in addition to single finishers, a named cooperative finisher like they used to. However, there are of course like anything, exceptions especially outside of the WWE bubble (like the ridiculous spectacle that is More Bang for Your Buck). To make this relevant to this thread, I suppose I'll ask what your favorite tag finisher is. Mine would have to be the Hart Attack. It's simple, it looks good, it can be done safely by almost any combination of three people, and since there is only one moving part, so to speak, it's a lot harder to botch than some of the others.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

The coolest thing about Hercules was Power and Glory's tag finisher, the powerslam-diving splash combo. They got really good at timing that. All the teams in the 80s had two-man finishers. Demolition Decapitation, Rocker Dropper, Doomsday Device, P&G's aforementioned thing that I'm sure had a name, the Hart Attack, and so on. I'm sad that tag finishers like that seem to be rarer these days. It seems like there isn't as much of that in WWE now, even with the revitalized tag division. I know the Shield have the triple powerbomb and you might count the Wyatts' "lights go out lets all pummel some guy", but there don't seem to be as many teams with, in addition to single finishers, a named cooperative finisher like they used to. However, there are of course like anything, exceptions especially outside of the WWE bubble (like the ridiculous spectacle that is More Bang for Your Buck). To make this relevant to this thread, I suppose I'll ask what your favorite tag finisher is. Mine would have to be the Hart Attack. It's simple, it looks good, it can be done safely by almost any combination of three people, and since there is only one moving part, so to speak, it's a lot harder to botch than some of the others.

Hard to argue with the 3D. It's such a simple combination of two moves, but the impact is so great. I think one of the reasons is because Buh Bah/Bubba/Bully Ray got such height on the cutter for being a bigger man. The 3D stands as one of the flat-out best, true "double-team" moves in wrestling.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

projecthalaxy posted:

The coolest thing about Hercules was Power and Glory's tag finisher, the powerslam-diving splash combo. They got really good at timing that.
Superplex-diving splash, you mean. :)

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Perigryn posted:

Shame that they didn't have a name for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cS9IYbbxug&t=38s

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Quote is not edit.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
I can think of a few signature combos that current tag teams do, but not any named ones. I am particularly fond of the Real Americans' SwaggerBomb + leapfrog + double-foot stomp, and that catapult into powerslam. That said, half the time they time the latter poorly and it sort of just looks like Swagger catches the guy safely, THEN powerslams him, rather than using the momentum from the catapult to give the powerslam more... power.

Los Matadores have a really cool backbreaker + slingshot slam thing, too. Point is, I'm sure there are loads of signature combos at the moment. They just don't have names, which is a shame.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ghostpilot posted:

Shame that they didn't have a name for it:

According to Wikipedia, it's called the Power-Plex.

Anyway, my favourite tag-team finisher is the Demolition Decapitation, which PTP have bust out recently :allears:

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

Frankenstein Dad posted:

Los Matadores have a really cool backbreaker + slingshot slam thing, too. Point is, I'm sure there are loads of signature combos at the moment. They just don't have names, which is a shame.

It drives me batty that Ambrose and Rollins haven't had their finishers named on-air FOR A YEAR.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Perigryn posted:

It was called "The Power-Plex"

edit: Really? Two people posting the same answer at 5 o'clock in the morning?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I really liked the Shaker Heights Spike except, uh, just about every clip of it online is a snuff film in execution, so I'm pretty okay with it staying retired

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Why did Bret Hart sign that long-term WWF contract when it seemed like the company was on it's deathbed, instead of jumping straight to WCW which wasn't in as bad a shape and had a money mark keeping it alive through the tough times?

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
I'm continuing to watch 1997 WWF, and what was the deal with Scott Putski? I saw him pop up on an old Raw, and apparently he was gone before too long, despite being a second-generation wrestler with a Batista-esque physique. You'd think that'd be somebody WWF would have wanted to push, and... I've never even heard of him. What happened there?

VVVV: Ah.

Castomira fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 2, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Castomira posted:

I'm continuing to watch 1997 WWF, and what was the deal with Scott Putski? I saw him pop up on an old Raw, and apparently he was gone before too long, despite being a second-generation wrestler with a Batista-esque physique. You'd think that'd be somebody WWF would have wanted to push, and... I've never even heard of him. What happened there?

He was TERRIBLE. Like, sub-David Flair bad.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

projecthalaxy posted:

To make this relevant to this thread, I suppose I'll ask what your favorite tag finisher is. Mine would have to be the Hart Attack. It's simple, it looks good, it can be done safely by almost any combination of three people, and since there is only one moving part, so to speak, it's a lot harder to botch than some of the others.
I'm not a particular fan of the Dudleys but I can't argue with the 3D. It's simple but effective, works with practically everyone, it adapts well to special spots, and it was protected everywhere they went in addition to being inherently credible.

I also love the Kings of Wrestling giant swing/dropkick combo for the "Oh sweet Jesus" factor.

As for one I really don't like? The Rocket Launcher. Love the Midnight Express, but every time they did it I'm like "Is that supposed to be better than a regular splash?"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Castomira posted:

VVVV: Ah.

He was sufficiently roided out that the Live Audio Wrestling guys now have a 'Scott Putski Award' whenever they review an old show, for the guy with the most obviously juiced physique.

His wrestling ability was as small as his pecs were huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not a particular fan of the Dudleys but I can't argue with the 3D. It's simple but effective, works with practically everyone, it adapts well to special spots, and it was protected everywhere they went in addition to being inherently credible.

I also love the Kings of Wrestling giant swing/dropkick combo for the "Oh sweet Jesus" factor.

As for one I really don't like? The Rocket Launcher. Love the Midnight Express, but every time they did it I'm like "Is that supposed to be better than a regular splash?"

The 3d is one of the best moves ever. Has anyone kicked out of it? Also, the 3D through the table always got sold like death and it ruled.