Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

The President must literally be in his office at all times and any trip to any place nicer than Minnesota is a decadent trip on par with the worst excesses of Caligula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

colonel_korn posted:

Remember those two things that didn't happen?

The president was handed two steaming piles of warmongering poo poo from his predecessor and ultimately had to make difficult decisions on how to withdraw from these scenarios. A good cartoon.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

:psyduck: Yeah, there's nothing at all racist about turning the West Bank into a literal ghetto. 'Jewish settlers' and 'Israeli Arabs' are not comparable population groups anyway (c.350,000 vs. 1,658,000, for the record).

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Kegluneq posted:

:psyduck: Yeah, there's nothing at all racist about turning the West Bank into a literal ghetto. 'Jewish settlers' and 'Israeli Arabs' are not comparable population groups anyway (c.350,000 vs. 1,658,000, for the record).
Also the Palistinians "Israeli Arabs" were there first.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

alnilam posted:

So
um
can someone please give me a very short, minimal summary of what the Benghazi controversy is about?
I only get news by reading, and once I realized how much of a shitshow it was, I started skipping over any headline that said Benghazi. Unfortunately, it's still a bit explosive of a topic to find a concise answer googling. All I know is it was an attack on the consulate, then it was a LEFTIST COVERUP (but I'm not sure why or how), and now something about the NYT's source being fake?

I promise I will respond with nothing but a "thank you" to avoid a derail. It's just been coming up a lot here and it seems like fair grounds to ask about.

I recommend the book The Benghazi Hoax. It's fairly short and it breaks down the events in Benghazi and the subsequent attmpts by Republicans to make politcal hay out of the tragedy into a really easy to follow timeline. And it's packed full of footnotes. Two or three per paragraph. So if you're reading some of the poo poo Republicans have said and you literally cannot believe they said that, you can look up the source.

It gets a little partisan name call-y at times, but you can hardly blame the authors for getting upset. And it's only a buck for the Kindle version.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Captain_Maclaine posted:

All you guys referencing post-Iraq amnesia and spin are right to do so, but lest we forget the classic example of this sort of thing goes back to St. Reaganus the Wise himself during Iran-Contra:

Yeah that's what I was referring to with the belief part.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

lowercase16 posted:

I recommend the book The Benghazi Hoax. It's fairly short and it breaks down the events in Benghazi and the subsequent attmpts by Republicans to make politcal hay out of the tragedy into a really easy to follow timeline. And it's packed full of footnotes. Two or three per paragraph. So if you're reading some of the poo poo Republicans have said and you literally cannot believe they said that, you can look up the source.

It gets a little partisan name call-y at times, but you can hardly blame the authors for getting upset. And it's only a buck for the Kindle version.

The one-star reviews on that page are amazing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

All you guys referencing post-Iraq amnesia and spin are right to do so, but lest we forget the classic example of this sort of thing goes back to St. Reaganus the Wise himself during Iran-Contra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lIqNjC1RKU

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

OldTennisCourt posted:

The President must literally be in his office at all times and any trip to any place nicer than Minnesota is a decadent trip on par with the worst excesses of Caligula.

How dare he go to a foreign, exotic locale like distant Hawai'i in these troubled times?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Thank you for all the info on BENGHAZIGATE.

Hawai'i actually does have serious poverty issues if you look between all the well-off tourists and retirees. gently caress you cartoonist.

Also, Hawai'i is really proud they finally have a president from there after so many decades of being a post-colonial vacation spot where "nobody actually lives." It really sucks that even when that president visits home, people are still all "luxurious vacationnn."

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Every time I read that I really want to believe it isn't bullshit. :smith: Listening to the recordings of Reagan saying it, it really does sound like he genuinely never intended to trade arms for hostages, but a decent plan to sell weapons and have hostages be released as a goodwill gesture turned into a hostage trade, instead of a trade agreement that stood on its own without the hostages involved. It makes me sad that it's just spin and there were no illusions about what was happening at any stage, and he only admitted anything because the evidence went public.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

The president didn't hear the calls to free Jonathan Pollard because literally next to no one gives a poo poo about Jonathan Pollard, you comically ancient, tunnel-visioned moron.

Surprise, Honolulu has as much problems with poverty as any other American city post-recession, you loving dumbass. You would know that if you knew anything about the world around you instead of living in a loving bubble and likely never venturing outside your goddamn house (Edit: beaten on this point)

Yes, yes, I know that's not the point, they're just trying to tag Obama with all the poo poo Dubya got hit with. Dubya's still the nearest comparison point, and since Dubya is not going to look GOOD compared to Obama (or anyone), their only shot is to make Obama look as bad as Dubya, including even the most bullshit criticisms like Dubya's vacationing. (I really never liked that line of attack, a president is never really on vacation. But if it applies to anyone, it applies to Dubya especially, whereas Obama has taken the least vacation days of any recent president minus Clinton.)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

MisterBadIdea posted:

The president didn't hear the calls to free Jonathan Pollard because literally next to no one gives a poo poo about Jonathan Pollard, you comically ancient, tunnel-visioned moron.

Even if he did, the man was convicted of passing classified information to Israel. Ally or not, that's very illegal to do.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

quiggy stardust posted:

Even if he did, the man was convicted of passing classified information to Israel. Ally or not, that's very illegal to do.

Obama is also pretty big on punishing whistle blowers so it's not like he's going to give someone that stole info for money a pass.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 7, 2014

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Regalingualius posted:

I can't remember the exact name of the document at the moment, but actually, there is. Back when the British Empire controlled Palestine in 1917, some minister along the line (E: James Balfour, Britain's Foreign Secretary at the time) wrote a letter saying that the Jews (more specifically, the Zionist movement seeking a sanctuary from all of the Jew-hating that'd been common in Europe) could have Palestine someday, being their ancestral homeland, though I honestly think it was more to get them to shut up. At the time, no one in Britain's government really took it seriously, but after WW2/the Holocaust, the surviving Jews of Europe pressed the point as much as they could until they finally got the go-ahead.

E: Found it, it's the Balfour Declaration.

The whole question of a Jewish homeland in Palestine was still sort of hanging around in British politics, since in 1936-37 the Peel Commission recommended a partition of the British Mandate of Palestine into Jewish and Muslim zones. The Commission also gave me one of my favorite Winston Churchill quotes:

dickhead posted:

I do not agree that the dog in a manger has the final right to the manger even though he may have lain there for a very long time. I do not admit that right. I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their place.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Haha that's the most wordy and racist way to say FYGM.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Thirty seconds on google, you loving hack.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

"How can you be poor in Hawaii? And even if you are, the beach is right there, so no big deal, just make a fishing pole."

This cartoon thread could use more cartoons.

Alter it to current climate models like we did years ago?

We've always been at war in Iraq.

Shockingly original opinion.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

MisterBadIdea posted:

This thread literally broke my mind. When I saw this*:

I just stood there and laughed out loud. I'm pretty sure people are now convinced of my insanity.

* Bibi's toilet paper (err... I meant toilet paper) earnestly inquiring "maybe now, at last, Pollard?"
The other headline favorably compares Israel's treatment of asylum seekers with the rest of the civilized world certain cherry-picked first world countries, because of course it does.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Boy, that snowman is sure unhappy it's snowing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

The whole question of a Jewish homeland in Palestine was still sort of hanging around in British politics, since in 1936-37 the Peel Commission recommended a partition of the British Mandate of Palestine into Jewish and Muslim zones. The Commission also gave me one of my favorite Winston Churchill quotes:

I always heard that a major motivating factor in the Allied powers creating the Jewish homeland after WWII was trying to avoid a massive influx of Jewish immigration. Is there truth to that?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Has 60 Minutes always been as lovely as it has lately or is it basically being public airwaves Fox News a recent thing since that new guy got hired to manage it? It seems every week they put out some incredibly spurious news story now.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

The one-star reviews on that page are amazing.

This one-star review pretty much sums up the American right wing's opinion of Benghazi:

Ron posted:

It was a quick jump to biased conclusions that will prove to be totally false once congress can get the actual facts from survivors who are being kept hidden from the public. The truth about Benghazi must be devastatingly and maybe even criminally embarrassing to the Obama administration.

Anything that contradicts their opinion of it is false for reasons, which will be proven once the definitely-real evidence comes to light, only that evidence is being hidden by Obama because something about this must be politically damaging to Obama even though no one knows what that would really be, because this isn't really about what happened at Benghazi, it's about finding some poo poo that might stick to Obama no matter what it is. Bad Thing happened, Obama in Oval Office, therefore Bad Thing is Obama's fault.

GunnarHelmudsson
May 21, 2013

The last time I saw this face was July 4th, 1969. I am very sure that's the man who shot me.
Have some Portuguese politoons, by artist Antonio Jorge Goncalves. He draws for the Publico, which is a weekly newspaper. I quite like his minimalist style.

"Poor Banks"

"Greek Tragedy"

"A careful assessment of the costs"

(that's the president, Anibal Cavaco Silva)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Chancellor Merkel recently broke her hip during a skiing accident. This doesn't mean that it's the time for the (horrible, horrible) other party in the coalition to shine.

"I have full confidence in your abilities, Vice Chanchellor Gabriel. I'm however, still able to lead the Cabinet myself.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Internet Webguy posted:

Shockingly original opinion.

That poor snowman is about to be devoured by a Metroid!

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

MisterBadIdea posted:

Well, yeah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9inZ4tpcocA

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

MisterBadIdea posted:

Yeah, a weirdly high amount of the terrible comics in the global warming / why cold blog in the OP get this backwards, too. Snowmen are supposed to be happy they're not melting!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Front-runner for worst visual metaphor of the year, right here. "I know, I'll draw an unidentifiable puck in his hand, so I have to add a label and wavy lines for the invisible causal relation...actually that's still too vague, how about he's spurting out a giant loving label!"

There's a reason watering can + growing weeds is such a popular choice for messages like this.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Without her lucky tights, Olivia has no chance of winning the talent show. An "I've been babysitting my niece a lot lately" cartoon.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

That poor snowman is about to be devoured by a Metroid!
Excuse me, but it's a snowman, so I think it can deal with a Metroid just fine.
:goonsay:

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

I love this.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

:laffo: keep hoping, Lester. Though I suppose you would know a thing or two about marital issues.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Also Batboy is the Weekly World News.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MisterBadIdea posted:

Since Bish is from Pittsburgh I looked out my window, its sunny out

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

zoux posted:

Not occupying Iraq and Afghanistan for eternity.

In fairness, and I loathe to say this, that view is getting some (more) traction now that Al-Qaeda has taken back Fallujah but that doesn't necessarily mean that we should've just stayed there forever and ever.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

colonel_korn posted:

:laffo: keep hoping, Lester. Though I suppose you would know a thing or two about marital issues.

Giving a supermarket tabloid credit for being "right about O.J." is the lamest thing I can imagine.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013
"How did they know?????"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Oh Local Hero. :sun:

• Locked thread