Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

KillerJunglist posted:

Personally I see it as "Pot should be legal because gently caress the cops but no one should do it because gently caress you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Yawn.

This is the downside of McCoy the Lesser's obsession with abortion and women's freedom of choice- eventually, it just becomes completely boring.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

The Grim Reaper is there because abortion murders year old babies.

You see, I can also equate the synchronized twitching of the specialized cells of an unformed heart to a "heart beat!"

And genes determine hair color, so that's not a blastocyst it's a redhead!!!

Edit:

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 20, 2014

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Post 9-11 User posted:

The Grim Reaper is there because abortion murders year old babies.

You see, I can also equate the synchronized twitching of the specialized cells of an unformed heart to a "heart beat!"

Babies - Have them your way

:effort:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Pictured in this cartoon:
1. Someone who may have acted with malicious intent to exact revenge on the citizens of a rival voting district.
2. Someone who deftly maneuvered through a politically manufactured scandal.

Authors like this aren't even self aware, maybe they're just CG cartooning algorithms.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Here's how I expect Fox News to sound when Hillary enters the primary race.

commenter 1: Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi. Benghazi Benghazi. "Benghazi" Benghazi Benghazi, Benghazi?
commenter 2: Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi. Benghazi.
commenter 1: Benghazi Benghazi; Benghazi Benghazi "Benghazi Benghazi" Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi.
commenter 2: Benghazi! Hahaha!
commenter 1: That's all the time we have for today, see you later!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Samurai Sanders posted:

commenter 1: Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi. Benghazi Benghazi. "Benghazi" Benghazi Benghazi, Benghazi?
commenter 1: Benghazi Benghazi; Benghazi Benghazi "Benghazi Benghazi" Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi.

I think you're being a little unfair to Fox News; they'll throw in some "what difference does it make" too.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

"Name something you might ask a friend to keep."

http://www.iphoneogram.com/p/610302592602864235_22301533/

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Slate Action posted:

I think you're being a little unfair to Fox News; they'll throw in some "what difference does it make" too.

Don't you also get a lot of "Wow she looks like a bitch" whenever a female democrat runs?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Why is every scandal (legitimate or manufactured) affixed with -gate? They do realize that Watergate was the name of the hotel/office complex where the White House Plumbers did the majority of their deeds and ultimately got caught (which led to the big scandal due to poo poo rolling down hill), right?

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's literally that "LIBERALS, LIBERALS, LIBERALS!" Mallard Swillmore-style parody cartoon.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

That Migos flow.

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
Political Cartoon Idea: of an Elephant rubbing Bengay-zi ointment on their fat butts because it makes them feel better after the various beatings they've taking in the public arenas, like the '08 and '12 elections, diminishing returns on their Culture War efforts, and Obamacare going through and actually making life easier for a lot of Americans.

I'll take my check now, Cagle. :colbert:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Don't you also get a lot of "Wow she looks like a bitch" whenever a female democrat runs?

Here's how they're going to talk about whichever white male runs against Hilary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_c1LbekMQA

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ThirdPartyView posted:

Why is every scandal (legitimate or manufactured) affixed with -gate? They do realize that Watergate was the name of the hotel/office complex where the White House Plumbers did the majority of their deeds and ultimately got caught (which led to the big scandal due to poo poo rolling down hill), right?
It's an extremely convenient marker for a political scandal that everyone knows. As a linguist I just love it, to be honest.

edit: I'm still waiting for some scandal that involves a gate so we can have gategate. Bridgegate isn't even very far, both are big human-made things made of metal which let people pass through to a place they couldn't normally get to.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

BEWARE

I come with terrible news- this is actually what some people believe!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

XyloJW posted:

The Penguin had an affair.

Squawk!

No seriously I love how this is the only thing that foreign cartoons care about my country :v:

I guess the jokes write themselves, France+affair=profit!

VVVV:also two people that look nothing like Clinton and Christie.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 20, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

pictured: two people who aren't president

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I love that he clearly forgot that all the other manufactured bullshit scandals all apply to Obama and not Hillary until after he made the huge list in her hands "Benghazi and....poo poo! Better just throw a ETC. on there and some squiggly lines"

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 20, 2014

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh god if Hillary is President we will be hearing about Benghazi until 2024.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I love that he clearly forgot that all the other manufactured bullshit scandals all apply to Obama and not Hillary until after he made the huge list in her hands "Benghazi and....poo poo! Better just throw a ETC. on there and some squiggly lines"
No, no, the "etc." is clearly there for conservative readers to draw their own conclusion as to additions to the list, while absolving the cartoonist of any responsibility in terms of dredging up dead stories.

I assume Whitewater and that guy conservatives claim she had killed would be at the top of the list.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

ThirdPartyView posted:

You mean Watergate-gate?

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
In today's episode of 'Chris Christie is so fat that...' (with bonus sports!):

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The countless scandals less significant than Benghazi.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Apologies for MS Paint.

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe

UZworm posted:

A compelling argument against art.

DEKH
Jan 4, 2014

ThirdPartyView posted:

It's literally that "LIBERALS, LIBERALS, LIBERALS!" Mallard Swillmore-style parody cartoon.

The reason that all scandals are affixed with the "-gate" can be traced back to William Safire. Who used it to minimize his old boss Nixon's original scandal.

quote:

The adoption of -gate to suggest the existence of a scandal was promoted by William Safire, the conservative New York Times columnist and former Nixon administration speechwriter. As early as September 1974 he wrote of "Vietgate", a proposedpardon of the Watergate criminals and Vietnam Wardraft dodgers.[8] Subsequently he coined numerous -gate terms, including Billygate, Briefingate, Contragate, Deavergate, Debategate, Doublebillingsgate (of which he later said "My best [-gate coinage] was the encapsulation of a minor ... scandal as doublebillingsgate"), Frankiegate, Franklingate, Genschergate, Housegate, Iraqgate, Koreagate, Lancegate, Maggiegate, Nannygate, Raidergate, Scalpgate, Travelgate, Troopergate andWhitewatergate. The New York magazine suggested that his aim in doing so was "rehabilitating Nixon by relentlessly tarring his successors with the same rhetorical brush – diminished guilt by association".[9] Safire himself later admitted to author Eric Alterman that, as Alterman puts it, "psychologically, he may have been seeking to minimize the relative importance of the crimes committed by his former boss with this silliness."

Republicans have always had better message discipline and this is exhibit A in that discipline.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

UZworm posted:

Ah yes, Superbowl XVLII, the Superbowl so nice they played it twice.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Remember to always keep your abortion receipts in case of survivors.

Slate Action posted:

Turning on weed just as it starts to become accepted fits Rall's M.O. precisely. It's just like when he bashed gays for not being cool or countercultural anymore.

"Don't you dumb black people realize that fighting for the government to give you rights is exactly what they WANT you to do?! Being disenfranchised is hip and cool! For example, nobody listens to me and I'm the coolest!"

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

quote:

The reason that all scandals are affixed with the "-gate" can be traced back to William Safire. Who used it to minimize his old boss Nixon's original scandal.
I feel like all Safire accomplished was cement Watergate as the ur-example of political scandal in modern history. That's certainly how the end of Ron Howard's Frost/Nixon presented it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

euphronius posted:

Oh god if Hillary is President we will be hearing about Benghazi until 2024.

Nah, they'll invent or find some other thing to blow out of proportion. If this thread existed in 1993, we'd be wondering when we'd hear the end of Whitewater. (Answer: when Bill got his pole smoked)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's an extremely convenient marker for a political scandal that everyone knows. As a linguist I just love it, to be honest.

edit: I'm still waiting for some scandal that involves a gate so we can have gategate. Bridgegate isn't even very far, both are big human-made things made of metal which let people pass through to a place they couldn't normally get to.

That'd be Obliviongate-gate! :haw:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Allen Wren posted:

Nah, they'll invent or find some other thing to blow out of proportion. If this thread existed in 1993, we'd be wondering when we'd hear the end of Whitewater.

Good news! Guess what's going to be making a comeback after November.

It's nice to know that I'll be able to relive the whitewater idiocy I missed out on the first time round due to being a child.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

OAquinas posted:

Apologies for MS Paint.

What's amazing is that I think :tinsley: is one of the few who don't harp on Benghazi as much as the others do. Then again we've had 3 weeks of New Years Predictions so that maybe be the cause.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Good news! Guess what's going to be making a comeback after November.

It's nice to know that I'll be able to relive the whitewater idiocy I missed out on the first time round due to being a child.

Dont forget the classics like Vince Foster (Hillary is a lesbian who had an affair with Vince Foster and then killed him) and also TRAVEL GATE which was really important.

EDIT

COME travel back in time with me to the 90s!!! http://whatreallyhappened.com/RANCHO/POLITICS/BODIES.html

quote:

NEW! Updated for Hillary's 2016 run!

euphronius fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 20, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Samurai Sanders posted:

What you really should be waiting for is a scandal about water. I mean, what do you call that? Water-gate, just with a hyphen?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

JT Jag posted:

What you really should be waiting for the scandal about water. I mean, what do you call that? Water-gate, just with a hyphen?

H2O Gate.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Samurai Sanders posted:

Plebgate really ought to have been gategate but it didn't catch on.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

euphronius posted:

Dont forget the classics like Vince Foster (Hillary is a lesbian who had an affair with Vince Foster and then killed him)

I'm on my phone so I can't dig it up but Rall believes this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Maybe it's just me, but a Mallard Fillmore New Years' Prediction edit contest sounds like a great follow-up to the Chuck Asay cartoon contest.

Edit: especially since we got the Dennis Rodman knockout game edit to get us going.

• Locked thread