Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
New update to slayin' just shipped. Spent some saved up fp on the tamer. He's fun his gimmick is his monster takes hits (each one has a pre set number of hits it will take) instead of him and he has invincibility frames on their different attacks, but in turn he's incredibly weak when not mounted. He shoots a stunning attack and then the monster becomes stunned and be can jump on. Basically he plays a lot like the wizard since he has trouble chaining because his attack kills multiple monsters at once, and has a significant invincible period on attacks but if your monster dies on a boss (like giant slime) you basically get destroyed.

Ninja looks cool, she seems to have a lot of different state dependent attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Suits and Swords is one of my quickest deletes ever. Two Clash of Clans video ads in 4 battles and the blackjack mechanic is not fun at all in that setting. Or at least it wasn't there.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

McDragon posted:

Glyph Quest is really great. Took me a while to work out the Summoning Spells, but they were kind of obvious in hindsight.

Nice to see a few Dark Souls references. Found two so far, I think somebody on the dev team is a fan. The references in this game kind of rule. :3:

Is the "Mage license" really just a "You've reached the end of the trial, now pony up" kind of thing? I haven't leveled since seeing it. It seems like it's likely worth the two bucks, but that kind of sneaky poo poo is annoying. When you first click on it they don't even really specify what it is or how much it costs.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Anyone know if Tales of Phantasia iOS is good or not?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

Is the "Mage license" really just a "You've reached the end of the trial, now pony up" kind of thing? I haven't leveled since seeing it. It seems like it's likely worth the two bucks, but that kind of sneaky poo poo is annoying. When you first click on it they don't even really specify what it is or how much it costs.

Yeah, pretty much. Kind of put me off a bit but people in the thread had already mentioned it was something like that. And by the looks of things the devs weren't trying to be sneaky, they just messed it up a bit. They're working on making it more obvious as well apparently.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It's currently free, so just download it and find out? I don't have the highest of hopes however as it only does cloud saves apparently.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

triplexpac posted:

Apparently tainted and rebalanced towards F2P. Enjoy!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Weird. When you search Glyph Quest on the AppStore you get two results, the actual game and...

Ecco the Dolphin by Sega? :psyduck:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

BGrifter posted:

Wait, what? This is a thing? Is it reasonably playable?

Skam
Jan 6, 2008
Which of the Lego games do people recommend?

I just played through episode 1 of the Star Wars one because it was free and enjoyed it (although the jumping mechanics nearly made me throw my ipad against the wall)

I have decided to get one of the full games and was thinking of lord of the rings. I have no real preference on the movie (I like Star Wars, Harry potter, Lotr and batman..) and was just wondering if people recommend one over the others

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Glyph Quest doesn't give you enough game before purchasing the mage license. Can you combine different elements for different spells, a la Magicka? If it's just match 3 of the same thing forever, I'm not interested.

Forti
May 5, 2009

McDragon posted:

Nice to see a few Dark Souls references. Found two so far, I think somebody on the dev team is a fan. The references in this game kind of rule. :3:

Three people worked on this game and they are all rabid fans of Dark Souls so it was kind of inevitable :v:

I mentioned the mage license thing to the designer and he says that's been the most common feedback so far so will be fixed in the next version. He is a designer at heart, not even a coder, so yeah some things slip through. He documented the process on his blog so intensively that apparently forgot there would be people he didn't know personally playing it, so yeah not mentioning it is by oversight rather than malice.

Also to the dude above it does get more complex, you can build chains of elements, then combine opposite elements with chains to deal more damage, summon monsters by building combos, use items, etc etc. It does get pretty tricksy.

I think they owe me a tshirt now or something, man.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I bought the elemental combo thing and every time I try it it just backfires on me.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

I bought the elemental combo thing and every time I try it it just backfires on me.

I haven't got to that point yet but I'd assume even with the combos you still can't combine opposite elements.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Javid posted:

In my limited experience with it, you have to alternate between two colors elements that won't back fire. I got Bless (WIND-LIGHT-WIND-LIGHT and Poison (Dark-Water-Dark-Water I think? I'll check) this way. If you do 2 matching and another 2 unique from the first set and non backfiring with any other elements (Water-Water-Light-Air, for example) then you only get the nuke from the first two (in the previous example, the Water-Water nuke). Bless damaged the enemy and healed me, Poison is a nuke + poison. I dunno how useful this is given how hard it is to set them up. EDIT: I take it back, pretty much every elemental combo nuke is as good if not better than 4 of the same element nukes.

Decent game, enjoying it so far. I feel like I'm running up on the end of content though.

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 25, 2014

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, I think I kind of ran out of things to do in Glyph Quest. Still fun to play, but I got all the items and beat all the monsters and maxed out all the elements so there's nothing much new.

Having said that, that was mainly because I got carried away and spent several hours playing it. Nice little puzzler with some good challenges at the end.

Did have to grind a tiny bit towards the end (level 13/14) but it wasn't too bad and that was the only time I really felt it was required. And that was just unlocking quests, a bit of strategy goes a lot further than grinding your face off.

Anyway, I hope it sells lots and lots because it's really good. I am a bit biased here, I really like this sort of puzzle game.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

McDragon posted:

Anyway, I hope it sells lots and lots because it's really good.

Glyph Quest got a really positive write up in Pocket Tactics yesterday and Touch Arcade named it game of the week today so yeah, I figure it's gonna do just fine.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

BGrifter posted:

Weird. When you search Glyph Quest on the AppStore you get two results, the actual game and...

I last played Ecco well over a decade or two ago, but there were crystals called glyphs in the game. I don't know how App Store searches really work (is It like a keyword system?) but there you go.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Just got Demon Partisan in Hoplite. I managed to get Atheist and Streaker too after the nerf to Agility and it wasn't too bad, though Demon Partisan was arguably worse than Atheist since I needed 50 energy to jump behind an altar so I didn't soak a hit praying. I ended up skipping more than one altar because of the hassle of manipulating wizard. Flawless also is pretty capable too without Agility, you just need to be careful and prioritize wizards (loving wizards).

In general I find Surge more useful than Agility, though I'll need to take Agility a few times to see how it holds up. Getting back two jumps after killing 3 enemies in a row arguably gives you more flexibility than one free action now (also now that you don't also get one round of invulnerability due to how Shielding Bash used to work with free actions). I only have speed run and pacifist left. Sword Lunge sounded really neat, but Deep Lunge still feels better, though that's probably also because I use Surge all the time and my spear pops back into my hand.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

BrainDance posted:

I last played Ecco well over a decade or two ago, but there were crystals called glyphs in the game. I don't know how App Store searches really work (is It like a keyword system?) but there you go.

Yeah I was mostly weirded out to see such an obscure franchise from yesteryear. Plus it's odd that it'd be the only other result. Not much I've searched for on the App Store that only yielded two results.

Oh and to the poster above I have no idea if it's any good.

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

RoboCicero posted:

Just got Flawless in Hoplite, though I'm not sure what the Protection upgrade was yet. What an awesome game that anyone who liked 868-HACK will definitely enjoy. Only think I'd take off against it is how it's really easy to accidentally tap somewhere out of range of your character and accidentally pathfind into a wizard.

Oh, nice. I loved playing this on my brothers android tablet. Keep forgetting it came out on ios last month, I've been buried in work and haven't checked ios games much. I really like these super efficiently designed puzzle+roguelike games.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Oh my god, the level ending animations for Where's My Mickey, they're fuckin great.

Edit: finished the first episode and just saw there's MORE auugghhhh this new art direction owns so hard

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 25, 2014

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Any suggestions for something that's got a good unlock (either upgrades or cosmetics) system, fairly high difficulty, and leaderboards? It doesn't have to have all of these but a good combo of any of them really get me hooked. For example Bike Baron and Nimble Quest have been holding my interest for quite a while.

Type of game doesn't really matter as long as it's not some timed puzzle type game.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
After like two years of my recommendations, my wife has started playing Triple Town.

It's like I live with a zombie.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

aw yiss posted:

Any suggestions for something that's got a good unlock (either upgrades or cosmetics) system, fairly high difficulty, and leaderboards? It doesn't have to have all of these but a good combo of any of them really get me hooked. For example Bike Baron and Nimble Quest have been holding my interest for quite a while.

Type of game doesn't really matter as long as it's not some timed puzzle type game.

Maybe Starborn Anarkist? It's a twinstick shooter where you fly round space blowing up enemy ships and you pick up little upgrade modules as you fly around. Those don't persist through rounds but you can unlock extra bits so you can customise your ship with all sorts of things. And it can be bastard hard at times. It's one of those "throw more and more enemies at you until you get overwhelmed" sort of setups. Don't think it has leaderboards though.

edit: oh my, new Nimblebit game soonish? Trailer looks interesting but I have no idea what was going on. Apart from a Disco Zoo of course.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 25, 2014

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

aw yiss posted:

Punch quest might be a good fit.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Do you guys remember if Triple Town's unlimited turns purchase is only per device or per account like every other non consumable IAP ever? It seems to want to charge us for the purchase on the second phone.

Nevermind, found restore purchases button.

So, how about those iPad games? I'm watching the room, panzer general, and BG2, any other amazing ones from over the years?

tuyop fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 25, 2014

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

tuyop posted:

Do you guys remember if Triple Town's unlimited turns purchase is only per device or per account like every other non consumable IAP ever? It seems to want to charge us for the purchase on the second phone.

Nevermind, found restore purchases button.

So, how about those iPad games? I'm watching the room, panzer general, and BG2, any other amazing ones from over the years?

Anything and everything ported from the PC.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

triplexpac posted:

duckfarts posted:

Apparently tainted and rebalanced towards F2P. Enjoy!

Let me expand on this a little bit, after playing it for about an hour:

-Terrible touch controls. It's a console port so what do you expect?
-Needs to be connected to the internet constantly to save. Also, no local saves. Cloud saves only. You also get only one of those.
-Because of this, it takes about 20 seconds to save.
-"Rebalanced" difficulty. Enemies have 3x health and do 3x the damage. You characters also do less damage. This is mostly anecdotal, but I was struggling against the very first enemies. As you might expect, this is to drive you to:
-IAP. The big one they want you to buy is the miracle orb. This item revives your entire party should you die (you will), and doubles all you stats for the duration of the battle. This can only be used once. It costs $1.99. Other IAP includes what's essentially Pokemon's Repel ($.99) and lump sums of exp ($.99 and $1.99, depending on how much you want).

So yeah, I got to the first boss in the sewers (Clay Demon) and said "gently caress this" when it and its seven minions chopped off half of my health in a single attack. I went through my entire stock of items and couldn't kill it.

Stay away from this one.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

SettingSun posted:

Let me expand on this a little bit, after playing it for about an hour:

-Terrible touch controls. It's a console port so what do you expect?
-Needs to be connected to the internet constantly to save. Also, no local saves. Cloud saves only. You also get only one of those.
-Because of this, it takes about 20 seconds to save.
-"Rebalanced" difficulty. Enemies have 3x health and do 3x the damage. You characters also do less damage. This is mostly anecdotal, but I was struggling against the very first enemies. As you might expect, this is to drive you to:
-IAP. The big one they want you to buy is the miracle orb. This item revives your entire party should you die (you will), and doubles all you stats for the duration of the battle. This can only be used once. It costs $1.99. Other IAP includes what's essentially Pokemon's Repel ($.99) and lump sums of exp ($.99 and $1.99, depending on how much you want).

So yeah, I got to the first boss in the sewers (Clay Demon) and said "gently caress this" when it and its seven minions chopped off half of my health in a single attack. I went through my entire stock of items and couldn't kill it.

Stay away from this one.

gently caress me, that's horrendous.
Can't even imagine the cost of beating a jrpg with that poo poo.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

McDragon posted:

Yeah, I think I kind of ran out of things to do in Glyph Quest. Still fun to play, but I got all the items and beat all the monsters and maxed out all the elements so there's nothing much new.

Having said that, that was mainly because I got carried away and spent several hours playing it. Nice little puzzler with some good challenges at the end.

Did have to grind a tiny bit towards the end (level 13/14) but it wasn't too bad and that was the only time I really felt it was required. And that was just unlocking quests, a bit of strategy goes a lot further than grinding your face off.

Anyway, I hope it sells lots and lots because it's really good. I am a bit biased here, I really like this sort of puzzle game.

How did you beat the bosses? Currently fighting a dragon of some sort that heals itself by >5000 hp every time I hit it! :bang:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I know a lot of people here posted about Colossatron's sniper cannons being pretty great (they are) but is anything as awesome as the railguns? I think not. The best is when you can feed all your blue/red into making railguns and all your yellows into making sniper cannons. And then get rapid fire pickups. :getin:

Is prestiging worth it? Can you pick multiple perks per level, do you get more prisms, or is it just a case of "enemies are harder, because, uh. just because."

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Someone's probably mentioned it but Super Hexagon is really addictive and hard. :stare:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know this is equally jailbreaking discussion but is anyone using Controllers for All? I'm using my DS4 with MFI approved games and my success is... So so.

It connects fine, Joe Danger Infinity flat out doesn't work. Angry Birds Go seems ok, Shadow Blade works great until you get to the downward dash move. I can't seem to figure out how that should be done. There doesn't seen to be a button for it.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Controllers for All has worked rather well for me with Bastion and San Andreas. Both become vastly easier to play.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

monkeytennis posted:

How did you beat the bosses? Currently fighting a dragon of some sort that heals itself by >5000 hp every time I hit it! :bang:

Chains, chains, and more chains. Had loads of money by then so I went with two revival thingies, two of the biggest potions, and two of the reset stone thingamajigs as well.

Really just keep trying to clear as many glyphs as possible while keeping chains up, use combo spells as much as you can, and hit them with a high chain summon if you get the chance as long as it won't break the chain. Don't be afraid to not attack for a while if it's necessary to keep chaining. And don't forget reversals either.

Can't remember one that healed specifically though, might not have done it much for me. Strategy should still work though, just treat it like it has way more health I guess. Oh, that combo spell that traps the enemy works pretty well too, they can lose a couple of turns there. Can't remember which ones though, sorry. Also poison and smoke can help. Depends what you're chaining really.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Psion posted:

I know a lot of people here posted about Colossatron's sniper cannons being pretty great (they are) but is anything as awesome as the railguns? I think not. The best is when you can feed all your blue/red into making railguns and all your yellows into making sniper cannons. And then get rapid fire pickups. :getin:

Is prestiging worth it? Can you pick multiple perks per level, do you get more prisms, or is it just a case of "enemies are harder, because, uh. just because."

You get a badge that gets shinier. Thats about it. I'm on my 4th prestige level but I cant really tell if it's making many other changes other than the enemies being tougher and hitting harder.

Forti
May 5, 2009

McDragon posted:

Endless mode is coming :twisted:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

monkeytennis posted:

Well, the few bits of info I had to work out: (and you may have figured most of it out too, this is for anybody else struggling)

Combo spells only work by alternating. You can't go fire-fire-earth-earth, it has to be f-e-f-e. Money bags in the middle don't interrupt it. With all upgrades you max out at 5 orbs per turn.

With solid colors:

2 is a weak attack
3 is a medium attack
4 is a big attack
5 is a summon spell that does huge damage

With combos, it's 4 orbs or bust. Every non-backfiring combination does something, but the noteworthy ones are:

Light-water: regeneration, big heal and then smaller heals every turn for a few turns
Light-air: bless, medium damage, heals you back
Water-earth: mudslide, medium damage, enemy is "stuck" for a few turns and can't attack
Light-earth: vines, same as above
Dark-earth: cave-in, same as above
Dark-water: poison, damage over time

Regeneration and the "stuck" spells are the best; regen isn't as beefy as the big health potions but you can use it early and often to keep healthy. For this reason I like to start off with a water chain whenever possible, since it gives you the option of regen and mudslide. However, light gives you regen, bless, and vines; in my opinion bless isn't as useful as regen and vines aren't as useful as mudslide, but both ways work.

Specific enemies seem to have resistance to some elements, you can generally guess which (fire dragon is hurt less by fire) or figure it out in a few turns. The summon spells have no extra effects aside from huge damage that I've noticed.

I just finished the quests a bit ago and got 52 waves deep in the endless mode before I died - chose not to burn potions on it because I have other stuff to do today. Really looking forward to more content in the future with this one.

gently caress harpies, though. You should get your stuff back when you finish them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
you know this Front Wars really is a good Advanced Wars clone. Im hooked.

• Locked thread