Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think I'm pretty middle class and I golf occasionally. Finding cheap clubs is easy because rich morons buy new full-priced sets like every year.

Drinking and golfing is a good time in the summer/fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

D.N. Nation posted:

I liked that week during the summer of 2012 when every wingnut cartoonist drew a b-b-b-b-b-b-but Bill Maher! cartoon. The hive mind with these people, I swear.

Ah yes, Bill Maher, self-proclaimed Liberterian who voted for Ron Paul in 2012.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

I've got a pen and I've got a phone and I've got two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.
Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious presidency, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Tom Guycot posted:

That weird "he's incompetent and can't do anyting/he's a dictator destroying the country!" is probably the most head scratching thing when I read people discuss politics.

Is that a traffic cone? :holymoley:

Meat Recital fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 29, 2014

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Golf is a boring, wasteful, and terrible pastime. Miniature golf, on the other hand, is amazing, and more places should have it and let you drink and smoke on the course.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Chantilly Say posted:

Golf is a boring, wasteful, and terrible pastime. Miniature golf, on the other hand, is amazing, and more places should have it and let you drink and smoke on the course.

I was about to say literally this. Miniature golf needs to make a comeback. We've got technology now! Put LEDs in the windmills!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Even though golf is perfectly accessible to people other than the super-rich, it's still got a higher barrier of entry than almost every other sport besides, like, horseback polo. There's more required and expensive equipment, it's played on a giant course of manicured grass. Yeah, you can rent all that, but still. A big group of people can play soccer with just the ball and an open space, add in hoops and you've got what you need for basketball. Grid football requires grass unless you're playing a touch/flag version, but even touch football is closer to the actual sport than, say, hitting a single golfball with a single club in your backyard.

Sports which require specific playing spaces and equipment, like tennis for another example, have an upper-class association, even as they become more accessible. largely because of their history. 50 years ago, you basically did have to be in a country club to play these things.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'd probably have a higher opinion of golf if it were just miniature golf on a large scale, but realistically courses would be even more extravagantly expensive to maintain if the entire fairway of hole 3 was under the shadow of a colossal windmill whose arms block poorly-timed drives.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Chantilly Say posted:

Come to D.C, we have something like that inside a bar.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

No, but you see, he was just trying to protect everyone from the Yuuzhan Vong! :goonsay:

Retconned. The main extragalactical threat will now be the mongols from Mulan.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
There are par 3 courses, too, that are a bit smaller and only require like 3-4 clubs.

BRIDGING THE GAP.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Allen Wren posted:

I was about to say literally this. Miniature golf needs to make a comeback. We've got technology now! Put LEDs in the windmills!

I'm looking forward to when we have the technology to make Zany Golf for real.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Strictly speaking you really probably only need 4-5 clubs no matter where you are. Get a driver, long iron/hybrid club, chipping iron, putter and maybe a more mid iron and you can play no prob.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Chantilly Say posted:

I have played the oldest surviving mini golf course in America (Geneva on the Lake, Ohio) every summer and every time I have a blast and also get everyone pissed off at me because I get a little too into it.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Yeah, I'd rather play putt-putt any day and nothing I say really invalidates Carlin's take on the pastime. It's just trying to explain more people can relate to a golfer than just businessmen, pros, and power-players

tifosibella
Aug 17, 2005

captian r u gay

Meat Recital posted:

I've got a pen and I've got a phone and I've got two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.
Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious presidency, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Duke Gonzo 2016

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

XyloJW posted:

It was a paper thin metaphor for 9/11. I Hope That Helps.
And Ancient Rome, which to be fair, the senate/republic was as stupid as the Republic in Star Wars and probably deserved to be overhauled into an empire, I mean it all worked out in the end right?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Bors is on loving fire, holy poo poo

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

:love: This plus the George Carlin clip is how the State Of The Union address should have been.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

JJ introduces a Mr. Butts for a new generation.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tom Guycot posted:

That weird "he's incompetent and can't do anyting/he's a dictator destroying the country!" is probably the most head scratching thing when I read people discuss politics.

He's a dicktator. :rimshot:

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Rorus Raz posted:

You may believe it was an odd decision to give a doobie glasses, but he worked hard to become the head of the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Rorus Raz posted:

Republicans are as likely to bring back sharecropping as to ramp down the war on pot?

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

achillesforever6 posted:

And Ancient Rome, which to be fair, the senate/republic was as stupid as the Republic in Star Wars and probably deserved to be overhauled into an empire, I mean it all worked out in the end right?

I'm not disputing the fall of the Roman Republic as an inspiration, but a prequel story that actually followed something similar to the fall of the Roman Republic could have been good. At least it would have made sense and not been about some kind of intergalactic trade dispute.

Now, have a cartoonist whose art is as physically painful to look at as watching as love scenes between Anakin and Padme.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Slightly off-topic, but what are some of your favourite Onion videos? I've found a few really great ones over time.

A few of my favourites:
Franz Kafka Airport https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEyFH-a-XoQ
Terrifying McDonalds ad :aaaaa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W0GaF7I0so
Republicans stalling agenda by moving in slow motion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkHw9dcMfoI
Scientists teach gorilla it, too, will die https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJkWS4t4l0k
Dudes too stoked https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgXObaM9i2Q
Tea Party quiet... too quiet... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn5c1FuLDd4
Attractive Girls Union press conference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_UbFjUlWnI

Internet Webguy posted:

You may believe it was an odd decision to give a doobie glasses, but he worked hard to become the head of the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies.

:rimshot:

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Not My Leg posted:

I'm not disputing the fall of the Roman Republic as an inspiration, but a prequel story that actually followed something similar to the fall of the Roman Republic could have been good. At least it would have made sense and not been about some kind of intergalactic trade dispute.

Now, have a cartoonist whose art is as physically painful to look at as watching as love scenes between Anakin and Padme.

A direct result of us not solving our problems is that we will eventually make first contact. A pro-procrastination cartoon.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Not My Leg posted:

Ah, that pesky space wind.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

Republicans are as likely to bring back sharecropping as to ramp down the war on pot?

Farmer guy is probably supposed to represent migrant workers and such.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Jedit posted:

He's a dicktator. :rimshot:

Awaken the Yaakov!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Awaken the Yaakov!
Yeah, I was going to say, that is Yaakov's priority list, isn't it?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Well, Allie actually drew a thing that's kind of funny, first alright one of his in a while. (timg for huge)

Trifecta of bland garbage from 7oden:

Bennett :effort:

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Although I find his opinions reprehensible, I really really like Allie's art.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Just off screen an elephant with a shovel who didn't want to even give them a step ladder.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Right now, I think the worst intersection for me between "horrible opinions" and "I hate looking at it" is Snafutoons.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

CampingCarl posted:

Just off screen an elephant with a shovel who didn't want to even give them a step ladder.

"Have these fuckers even HEARD of bootstraps?" The elephant says, giving a chuckle as he leans on his shovel.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

And Bennett nails it, America's just not working out for us anymore and we should get a divorce.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

CampingCarl posted:

Careful now, you're treading close to a pretty bootstraps parable:

quote:

One day a farmer's donkey fell down into a well. The animal cried piteously for hours as the farmer tried to figure out what to do.

Finally, he decided the animal was old, and the well needed to be covered up anyway; it just wasn't worth it to retrieve the donkey.

He invited all his neighbors to come over and help him. They all grabbed a shovel and began to shovel dirt into the well. At first, the donkey realized what was happening and cried horribly. Then, to everyone's amazement he
quieted down.

A few shovel loads later, the farmer finally looked down the well. He was astonished at what he saw. With each shovel of dirt that hit his
back, the donkey was doing something amazing. He would shake it off and take a step up.

As the farmer's neighbors continued to shovel dirt on top of the animal, he would shake it off and take a step up.

Pretty soon, everyone was amazed as the donkey stepped up over the edge of the well and happily trotted off!

Life is going to shovel dirt on you, all kinds of dirt. The trick to getting out of the well is to shake it off and take a step up. Each of our troubles is a steppingstone. We can get out of the deepest wells just by not stopping, never giving up! Shake it off and take a step up.

Remember the five simple rules to be happy:

Free your heart from hatred - Forgive.

Free your mind from worries - Most never happen.

Live simply and appreciate what you have.

Give more.

Expect less

Struggling not to starve or lose your house because you got sick once without insurance is just a stepping stone, you need to climb your way up in life and be happy with what you've got. Just keep plugging away at that 60 hours a week and don't question it.

Loving Life Partner posted:

Bors is on loving fire, holy poo poo

:allears: Pretty much flawless.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

alnilam posted:

Slightly off-topic, but what are some of your favourite Onion videos? I've found a few really great ones over time.

A few of my favourites:
Franz Kafka Airport https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEyFH-a-XoQ
Terrifying McDonalds ad :aaaaa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W0GaF7I0so
Republicans stalling agenda by moving in slow motion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkHw9dcMfoI
Scientists teach gorilla it, too, will die https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJkWS4t4l0k
Dudes too stoked https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgXObaM9i2Q
Tea Party quiet... too quiet... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn5c1FuLDd4
Attractive Girls Union press conference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_UbFjUlWnI

:rimshot:

This one, hands down.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
So wait a minute, someone walk me thru why that guy posted a bunch of videos out of the blue like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

This Bors on the last page didn't get enough recognition:
It's not going to persuade anyone who's not already familiar with police issues, but it certainly made me laugh (then get angry again).

• Locked thread