Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Could be. If the rear axle wraps the leaf springs too much doing that, it can max out the angle of the ujoint and when it tries to turn it binds and rips off the ears on the yoke instead. I would expect it to be dangling at the other end then, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

kastein posted:

Could be. If the rear axle wraps the leaf springs too much doing that, it can max out the angle of the ujoint and when it tries to turn it binds and rips off the ears on the yoke instead. I would expect it to be dangling at the other end then, however.

Aren't there typically uni joints at both ends of the driveshaft a quarter turn apart to iron out the vibration?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Not necessarily. On lots of vehicles the front of the driveshaft is just a splined sleeve that fits over the output shaft on the trans and slides back and forth to accommodate length changes.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
They generally are in phase, not a quarter turn out - believe me, a quarter turn out results in even more vibrations. The ears on each end of the driveshaft should be at exactly the same angle, and the centerline of the pinion gear should be 1-2 degrees below parallel with the centerline of the transmission output shaft to account for pinion rise under acceleration.

I'm not sure how you would do what Slavvy said without a giubo joint instead of a ujoint, because you'd end up putting a lot of side loading on the transmission output with no ujoint there. I have never seen the setup he's talking about, though I have seen a slip yoke on many vehicles - it still has a ujoint between the driveshaft and the slip yoke, however.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Don't think this Focus starter motor will work, even after a hammer love tap

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Slavvy posted:

I love how the MDPS ecu is on the rack under the engine.

MrYenko posted:

There is a special place in hell for that engineering team.

Its poo poo like this that makes me believe that engineering students need to follow a mechanic/technician around in the field for six months as part of their education to learn that just because you can design something like this doesn't mean that you should.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

Its poo poo like this that makes me believe that engineering students need to follow a mechanic/technician around in the field for six months as part of their education to learn that just because you can design something like this doesn't mean that you should.

I'm pretty sure the engineer knows what the right thing to do is. The problem is whether her boss (and her boss' boss) knows. Or cares.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm pretty sure the engineer knows what the right thing to do is. The problem is whether her boss (and her boss' boss) knows. Or cares.

The problem is that it saved two cents to put it there, so they did.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah, you nailed it. The guys who work on stuff like the Cavalier would probably fit in great at NASA because they could take us to the moon at least 75% of the time on forty bucks.

"Do you guys really need all those days of oxygen? That poo poo is pricey."

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Yeah, you nailed it. The guys who work on stuff like the Cavalier would probably fit in great at NASA because they could take us to the moon at least 75% of the time on forty bucks.

"Do you guys really need all those days of oxygen? That poo poo is pricey."

You're saying no dumb design decisions have been made by bean-counters?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kastein posted:

They generally are in phase, not a quarter turn out - believe me, a quarter turn out results in even more vibrations. The ears on each end of the driveshaft should be at exactly the same angle, and the centerline of the pinion gear should be 1-2 degrees below parallel with the centerline of the transmission output shaft to account for pinion rise under acceleration.

I'm not sure how you would do what Slavvy said without a giubo joint instead of a ujoint, because you'd end up putting a lot of side loading on the transmission output with no ujoint there. I have never seen the setup he's talking about, though I have seen a slip yoke on many vehicles - it still has a ujoint between the driveshaft and the slip yoke, however.

Sorry, I'm a dumbass and you're right. But that type of driveshaft still has only one U-joint, which proves my point well enough.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

PO did the braeaakssssss.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Is that ... just completely the wrong pads?

How do you even DO that?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
correct pads, just not seated in the mount on the caliper, they were kinda sitting at a 15* angle, which I don't even know how the gently caress, but at any rate, I swapped the two pads around until I get around to ordering new pads/rotors for the rear cause gently caress these crusty looking turds.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

kastein posted:

I'm at a loss here. Just.....how?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I used to own a Ford with a dual-mass flywheel. At around 70k miles, most of these flywheels would have gained quite a bit of play between the two plates, and would start grinding themselves into powder. Most of said powder seemed to end up in the starter motor. Mine ended up with enough metal filings in the starter to prevent the gear from sliding into place. It kinda looked like that picture when I pulled it, although mine was less exploded.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
I've seen starters eat poo poo when someone would hit it when it was already running or hold it on forever but that one is impressive.

I almost thought distributor fire before I read what you posted.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It looks to me like either what that guy said ^ or a few other things. Could have gotten stuck engaged and overheated + overrevved due to being on constantly while driving thus spreading its contents thinly over the inside of the housing, could have worn out and overheated and blew everything apart but that isn't likely.

That is what's left of the commutator assembly spread/melted all over the end of the stator housing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

wallaka posted:

You're saying no dumb design decisions have been made by bean-counters?

I don't think any engineers worked on the Cavalier. That was all bean counters, the real stars of GM.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Everyday Lurker posted:

:ohdear:

Bet that made a glorious noise when it happened.

I know someone that had the front u-joint on the front driveshaft of his Discovery give out while he was at freeway speeds and towing a trailer. The shaft ended up in the passenger's lap and left a gaping hole through the floor. That no one was injured and he didn't lose control with a trailer on the back was an absolute miracle. He'd had it in for service at the dealer just a few days prior and they, amazingly, covered all repairs. I think they were afraid of a law suit.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

I don't think any engineers worked on the Cavalier. That was all bean counters, the real stars of GM.

If the Cavalier had debuted and lived for four to six years as it was it would have been remembered as a solidly ok response to the rise of the Japanese auto manufacturers. The Cavalier was actually so good that it forced Ford to respond with the Tempo (which it killed in the sales numbers), the Cavalier lived three decades with little more than superficial changes, and was thought to be good enough to be branded a Cadillac. Two out if those three were wild successes from a financial standpoint, and like I said, at the debut of the Cavalier it was a pretty good car compared to the marketplace. The problem is that the Japanese came out with a substantially changed/better car every four years like clockwork. The Cavalier answer in response was cheap lipstick, when there even was one. The result: Cavalier is remembered as a cheap crapcan compared to the excellent Japanese crapcans available at the time of it's death.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No, the problem is the cavalier is truly, desperately bad after a couple of years when you have to do literally anything other than oil changes to it. Japanese cars actually change very slowly in the mechanical sense and are put together with the aid of 'logic' and 'common sense' and 'parts made of metal and plastic instead of cheese'.

As a brand new car, competing against brand new cars, none of this is detectable and the sales figures would have reflected this.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

I'm pretty sure the engineer knows what the right thing to do is.

I'd say its likely a 50/50 split. I've interacted with way too many engineers who think they walk on water, and if someone has a problem with their design then they're a loving idiot and if they knew their rear end from a hole in the ground they'd have a masters in X engineering from Y university.

Most memorable for me was an engineer who worked for Chrysler posting on another automotive forum I used to frequent, bitching that it was the massively incompetent UAW employees fault and not that of anyone who designed the Town & Country minivan when it went to production with the exhaust system and ductwork for the rear HVAC system occupying the same exact physical space underneath the floorpan. Because clearly, anyone who can't improvise and make the two systems fit when the vehicle stops for 30 seconds at their station on the assembly line is just a lazy sack of poo poo who wouldn't have their job if it wasn't for the union.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Do you think you can look that post up again, because I've had to work on the rear hvac system of a Stow & Go Grand Caravan before and I have some extremely salient points that I'd like to impart directly to him.

e: Like, with Grade 8 fasteners.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Geoj posted:

I'd say its likely a 50/50 split. I've interacted with way too many engineers who think they walk on water, and if someone has a problem with their design then they're a loving idiot and if they knew their rear end from a hole in the ground they'd have a masters in X engineering from Y university.

I know a couple engineers and one's chock full of common sense. The others aren't safe on a sidewalk and I sure as hell don't want to ride in a car with them. Or let them make me a sandwich.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It comes from having never worked on anything themselves, whether in the sense of manufacture or maintenance.

Last week I encountered an entire team of engineers at an aero engine manufacturer who were arguing thousandths of a degree on an angle with me, because apparently they have forgotten GCSE trigonometry. Or to compare it to the angle it's meant to mate up to.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Geoj posted:

went to production with the exhaust system and ductwork for the rear HVAC system occupying the same exact physical space underneath the floorpan.

Holy moly is this for real?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
If only CAD programs had some sort of interference detection tools. oh wait.

How long ago was this?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Obviously the answer is to combine the exhaust and HVAC systems so it vents into the rear cabin. It's a new heating system design :downs:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
That's why people say don't buy Chrysler.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BraveUlysses posted:

How long ago was this?

Early to mid-2000s. IIRC the fix (until they got the design fixed and changed the supply chain parts) was to essentially run an extra shift and have a team of assemblers follow the vans down the production line doing on-the-fly modifications to the incorrect HVAC parts to make them work.

Other than "random internet person claiming to be a Chrysler engineer and bitching about union assembly line workers" I can neither confirm nor deny the veracity of his story.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I thought the practice of having the full current of blower motors running through knobs was pretty dumb. Welp, showed me.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Kill-9 posted:

I know someone that had the front u-joint on the front driveshaft of his Discovery give out while he was at freeway speeds and towing a trailer. The shaft ended up in the passenger's lap and left a gaping hole through the floor. That no one was injured and he didn't lose control with a trailer on the back was an absolute miracle. He'd had it in for service at the dealer just a few days prior and they, amazingly, covered all repairs. I think they were afraid of a law suit.

That's unreal, it's a drat miracle no one was killed. :stare:

A friend of mine had the rear u-joint in his Sonoma let go while he was on the expressway a few years back, note the distinct imprint of the drive shaft on both the muffler AND the gas tank shield:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

kastein posted:

Everyday Lurker posted:

I'm at a loss here. Just.....how?

Add me to the list, because I'm looking at this and just not seeing a starter motor there. It's like everything that's supposed to be there has been ground to a fine powder and then had half a clock poured onto it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

You're looking at the remains of this, plus probably the bearings and brushes (and the springs that push them in.)

Usually when a starter motor fails, it's either the brushes sticking up, the commutator getting arced/burned, or the contactor/solenoid sticking open. That's why tapping on it with a hammer can jostle things into working again.

If the contactor sticks ON, though, and leaves the thing engaged... it'll overspeed since it'll still be engaged and running while you drive and cause real problems with the motor. I'm betting that's what happened here.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

InitialDave posted:

It comes from having never worked on anything themselves, whether in the sense of manufacture or maintenance.

Last week I encountered an entire team of engineers at an aero engine manufacturer who were arguing thousandths of a degree on an angle with me, because apparently they have forgotten GCSE trigonometry. Or to compare it to the angle it's meant to mate up to.

I'm currently a Mechanical Engineering student and this is literally the entire problem. I have met exactly two other people who have any practical experience with working on anything. I got looks of pure amazement when I was able to walk into the machine shop and use a drill press and a band saw. Part of me wants to give up on robotics and go into the automotive industry just so I can try and get to design a car around ease of maintenance just to see how the market would react.

Also, what kind of :spergin: motherfuckers were arguing about thousandths of a degree? I know precision is important in something that spins at thousands of RPM surrounded by exploding jet fuel, but I can't think of ANY instance where a few thousandths of a degree would make any actual difference.

Content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0-Lu0nknfA

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tactical Bonnet posted:

I'm currently a Mechanical Engineering student and this is literally the entire problem. I have met exactly two other people who have any practical experience with working on anything. I got looks of pure amazement when I was able to walk into the machine shop and use a drill press and a band saw. Part of me wants to give up on robotics and go into the automotive industry just so I can try and get to design a car around ease of maintenance just to see how the market would react.

Also, what kind of :spergin: motherfuckers were arguing about thousandths of a degree? I know precision is important in something that spins at thousands of RPM surrounded by exploding jet fuel, but I can't think of ANY instance where a few thousandths of a degree would make any actual difference.

Content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0-Lu0nknfA

Not to dissuade a wide-eyed engineering student, but should you go into automotive engineering you will find that ease of maintenance is not a priority when it comes to corporations designing cars. Corporate life as an engineer is not nearly as exciting as you might hope.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
How do you solve India's population crisis?

Built a cheap car for the masses that slaughters the occupants in a low speed accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFWhuIDJJw0&t=16s

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

spog posted:

How do you solve India's population crisis?

Built a cheap car for the masses that slaughters the occupants in a low speed accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFWhuIDJJw0&t=16s

They ARE sentient, of course. We just have a lot of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Nano shouldn't really be compared to a normal passenger vehicle, it's so cheap it's meant to cross the divide between being on a scooter/motorcycle/rickshaw and a car. While I certainly wouldn't want to be in a collision in one, I'd rather that than getting hit on a scooter.