Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Rorus Raz posted:

JJ weighs in on Keystone again.

I've been hearing of five or so reports that claim the pipeline will be peachy-keen environmentally, but I haven't looked into the sources of the reports to see if they're legitimate or just fronts for oil companies. To JJ's credit, he doesn't just brush off environmentalists are "wacko loons" or anything, but suggest they focus on more pressing issues instead of one thing that is (reportedly) not a big deal.

JJ's right in that building the pipeline will have minimal environmental impact. The problems start coming in when you have to figure out how longterm maintenance will be done (and by who), and how in the gently caress you would compensate when a leak or rupture inevitably happens. There's also the security concerns because of the devastating effects, a single guy with a homemade pipe bomb could cause an incredibly damaging environmental disaster, and how are they going to police the entire length of this thing to ensure that doesn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

My favourite is always the people who bring up Kanye West being an egotistical idiot as proof that music today is trash. Because Elvis and the Beatles never said anything controversial or self aggrandizing.

The word I think they're looking for there is "uppity."

e:

The Ape of Naples posted:

1969 was an insane year all around and I wonder what it was like to live through it.

I'm tempted to think it's just as insane as being alive right now, but for different reasons.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 9, 2014

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

My favourite is always the people who bring up Kanye West being an egotistical idiot as proof that music today is trash. Because Elvis and the Beatles never said anything controversial or self aggrandizing.

Bob Dylan was and still is arrogant as gently caress. But that's forgiven because he was the voice of the generation for the unequivocally best generation of all time that will never be surpassed in skill, art, or importance.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Miley Cyrus got in trouble for sexually suggestive body movement during a televised performance. You can't say the same about Elvis "The Pelvis" Presley!
And both cribbed from African American culture (although I hear Elvis was more than willing to give credit for his inspiration)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Rorus Raz posted:

And both cribbed from African American culture (although I hear Elvis was more than willing to give credit for his inspiration)

That's what I find interesting about Elvis -- he was completely open about where he got the things he was doing even though the marketers were spinning him as a safe, white alternative to African-American rock music. Dude just liked that stuff.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Didn't the Beatles admit many times that they were just trying to be as cool as Chuck Barry?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

The Snafu guy must really hate his fat, ugly, whiny and belligerent family.

Cagle really wants to wash his car. gently caress crops.

Obama is obviously dividing congress between those who think he should be able to do things and those who do not think that.

Not a single republican voted for Obamacare. Just a bunch of RINOs.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, the actual bands usually knew where their music came from and were appropriately appreciative. The Beatles were Motown fanboys and the Rolling Stones essentially aspired to be black.

Here's a recent Mike Thompson.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

1969 was an insane year all around and I wonder what it was like to live through it.

Just so much as mention that to any baby boomer and they'll be more than happy to tell you all about it.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Is Cagle seriously complaining about endangered fish being given too much water? I know the drought's inconveniencing him, but I thought he was better than that.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Internet Webguy posted:

The Snafu guy must really hate his fat, ugly, whiny and belligerent family.

loving big government making sure a species doesn't go extinct instead of allowing us to waste as much water as we want :argh:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

JJ's right in that building the pipeline will have minimal environmental impact. The problems start coming in when you have to figure out how longterm maintenance will be done (and by who), and how in the gently caress you would compensate when a leak or rupture inevitably happens. There's also the security concerns because of the devastating effects, a single guy with a homemade pipe bomb could cause an incredibly damaging environmental disaster, and how are they going to police the entire length of this thing to ensure that doesn't happen.
Just imagine if there is a big spill over the ogalia aquifer, that whole region would be hosed.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Jesus Christ, how much water do fish really need anyways????

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Obama is a miracle worker who will lead his people to the Promised Land. AGC.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Meat Recital posted:

Pelicans evolved big beaks so that man could wash dishes in them, and elephants evolved long snouts so man could vacuum with them.

Also they evolved to say the phrase "It's a living!"

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Internet Webguy posted:

Yes, so strict are the water usage restrictions in cities that people are going thirsty. You turn on your tap and it forms a cartoon mouth and coughs dust out. Then you see a police officer outside your window writing you a ticket for even trying to drink water.

I sincerely doubt most of the people complaining actually live in "cities," unless they consider their posh suburb to be part of LA city.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

alnilam posted:

Yes, so strict are the water usage restrictions in cities that people are going thirsty. You turn on your tap and it forms a cartoon mouth and coughs dust out. Then you see a police officer outside your window writing you a ticket for even trying to drink water.

I sincerely doubt most of the people complaining actually live in "cities," unless they consider their posh suburb to be part of LA city.

I'm guessing it's more "my lawn isn't as green as it usually is!" Whining than anything else.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Obama is holding back the tide now that the blood gates have been opened. AGC.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Internet Webguy posted:

The weird thing is that we're gearing up for a major drought, but no hard restrictions have been put in place yet. So far in LA at least all the limits are just suggestions the city is putting out in an effort to start people thinking about conservation. Cagle is straight up talking about a problem that doesn't even exist yet.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It truly would be a tragedy if the rare crocodile muppet fish went extinct.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Internet Kraken posted:

It truly would be a tragedy if the rare crocodile muppet fish went extinct.

A picture of the fish in question.

They're about two inches long.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

I still maintain that is one of the best bubblegum pop songs ever. It's pure, got a good hook, catchy, and fun. It's not Houses of the Holy, but it stood the test of time pretty well, honestly.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
That Obama, always showing his prejudice against the human mutants over the drat demihuman scum!

And what do ya know, Latuff has something to say about water too:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

And what do ya know, Latuff has something to say about water too:

These days it takes ten or twenty people to write a cartoon.

I tell you hwat, back in Herblock's day they didn't have none of those fancy +whatevers like Latuff. :arghfist::corsair:

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

JT Jag posted:

The problem with Keystone is that too much focus is on the potential environmental impact and not enough on the economic impact. What would the United States actually get out of building Keystone, besides the temporary jobs associated with literally building the pipeline? Half of the pipeline has already been built, and it's driven oil prices down in the Midwest. If we complete the pipeline all the way to Texas, those oil prices will spike and it'll be easier for Canada to export its oil to China, increasing overall cost of oil purchasing for the United States. And Canada has steadfastly refused to give America right of first refusal on oil purchases through Keystone, so we can't be sure that won't be something they'll do.

Actually there's a pretty good chance that the Keystone XL pipeline will be filled with oil from Montana and North Dakota, not Canada. Tar sands is poor quality and takes a lot of energy to refine, American shale oil sells at a much higher price.

The Proportionality Clause in NAFTA forces Canada to sell a certain percentage of our oil production to the USA, even if there's an energy shortage in Canada. Keystone XL isn't really going to benefit Canada in any meaningful way long term.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

alnilam posted:

Didn't the Beatles admit many times that they were just trying to be as cool as Chuck Barry?

Basically the entirety of the groups the Boomers wank over were just trying to be as cool as Chuck Berry.

The rest were trying to be as cool as one of the other black bluesmen they all listened to.

e: I don't think it ever gets more blatant than Cream's notable very big hit Crossroads though. Everybody ripped off Robert Johnson and all he ever got was dead at about 26 and like fifty bucks once.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 10, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Shugojin posted:

Basically the entirety of the groups the Boomers wank over were just trying to be as cool as Chuck Berry.

The rest were trying to be as cool as one of the other black bluesmen they all listened to.

e: I don't think it ever gets more blatant than Cream's notable very big hit Crossroads though. Everybody ripped off Robert Johnson and all he ever got was dead at about 26 and like fifty bucks once.

the beatles could never pull off My Ding-a-Ling

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Look at these fools who don't know that Chuck Berry ripped his 'unique' sound off a white boy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I knew that Elvis had black influence in his music since I was a kid because my grandma had a CD of his gospel singing that she always listened to. It made me so happy.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 10, 2014

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Glad you asked! Oh, I remember it like it was yesterday....

This girl told our teacher, Miss Balz (really!) that she wasn't feeling well. So she was sent to the nurse, but on the way she threw up a little into her hands. Of course she had to come back and show Miss Balz what had happened, but as soon as she looked down and realized she had a double handful of spew, she fountained all over Miss Balz' front! Classic!

Then we moved to Florida since Dad had another tour of Vietnam. That summer we went to Cocoa Beach and stayed at the Holiday Inn a lot on weekends. One night Mom got us up at 2 AM and drove us to the coast to watch the Apollo 11 launch. That was cool, but LOUD! You could see the sound come across the water! While waiting around my brother looked in the lagoon and we caught some cool stripey hermit crabs. Turns out you can't keep them at home and feed them raw hamburger. They all died and stank. We went to Moms cousins' house to watch the actual landing. They had COLOR TV! In November we watched Apollo 12 take off, but the weather wasn't as nice.

In the fall my teacher was Mrs. Stripling, who looked a lot like Elizabeth Montgomery from Bewitched. She made me feel kinda funny. One night when I got to stay up late I saw this show called Star Trek, but for some reason it had like a cavewoman and some medieval guys? I didn't get it..

I remember "Sugar, Sugar", but also the Beatles and a bunch of other music. Mostly stuff that was on the car radio when we were driving around. Mom had control of the radio, of course.

Christmas was great since I got a microscope and a Hot Wheels track set with the two-level powerhouse - hours of fun!

Feeling enlightened?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Dimebags Brain posted:

I'm guessing it's more "my lawn isn't as green as it usually is!" Whining than anything else.

I live in Fresno, which is getting hit pretty hard, and I still see people watering their lawns until the gutter's flooded.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I live in Fresno

Condolences.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Look at these fools who don't know that Chuck Berry ripped his 'unique' sound off a white boy.

I remember one of the writers of "Back to the Future" was embarrassed that they'd just tossed that in there as a silly joke and only after the movie came out and people started complaining did they realize that it seemed like a denial of black innovation. (Of course, that's white privilege itself, so.)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Chlorine Water is disgusting, which made the pool owner quite horrified once she saw someone drinking it. Um cartum higiênico.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Shugojin posted:

Hell the Rolling Stones are named after a Muddy Waters song, and Clapton loves Robert Johnson so much he even made this album a number of years ago:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

KoldPT posted:

I tell you hwat, back in Herblock's day they didn't have none of those fancy +whatevers like Latuff. :arghfist::corsair:
On the other hand, Latuff is the only cartoonist I remember that gives thanks and not only apologies. Well, him and whoever does Pluggers.
Oh gods, Pluggers as done by Latuff would be grand. :allears:

Plutonis posted:

Chlorine Water is disgusting, which made the pool owner quite horrified once she saw someone drinking it. Um cartum higiênico.
:barf:
What does Brazil do to its water anyway? Do y'all have "acceptable levels of arsenic" and whatnot like the yanks or?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I was looking for Terry Wise's last cartoon lamenting today's shortage of child abuse (it's nearly a year old) and ran across this thing.

BUTTZZ!

Here's the kid-clobberin' one too, if you're curious:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

KoldPT posted:

His blog says it was made by a cartooning workshop.

What does Brazil do to its water anyway? Do y'all have "acceptable levels of arsenic" and whatnot like the yanks or?

Dunno, but most pools I go look dank enough for me to think "never open mouth" inside them.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
For Christ's sake people! Marty McFly did NOT invent rock n roll since HE HIMSELF was inspired by Chuck Berry and comes from a timeline where Berry invented that riff on his own! If McFly even affected rock history at all, it was by a negligible amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Aren't you from Iceland? :psyduck: Why are you doing this?!

• Locked thread