Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

gently caress our ancient HP equipment.

loving G3 and G5 HP servers. Ugh. OLD OLD OLD

But physical hardware doesn't matter if we use virtualization :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Pudgygiant posted:

Crazy rear end question but... have you emailed them? If you're a large enough customer they'll bend over backwards for you.

I think their monthly turnover is about £8-10k, and Amazon isn't even their main marketplace. Think the MWS team will budge at least one degree backwards?

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Westie posted:

I think their monthly turnover is about £8-10k, and Amazon isn't even their main marketplace. Think the MWS team will budge at least one degree backwards?

Former AWS employee here. I'm reasonably confident that yes, they will. Or, I guess, more accurately, I'm reasonably confident that you'll get a SEV4 (ranking 1 - 5; SEV1 wakes up Jeff Bezos at 2 AM, SEV5 might get handed to an intern next summer) or higher ticket in the system. But the odds are good that if you don't email them, nothing at all will change. Give it a shot, you've got almost nothing to lose.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

SolTerrasa posted:

Former AWS employee here. I'm reasonably confident that yes, they will. Or, I guess, more accurately, I'm reasonably confident that you'll get a SEV4 (ranking 1 - 5; SEV1 wakes up Jeff Bezos at 2 AM, SEV5 might get handed to an intern next summer) or higher ticket in the system. But the odds are good that if you don't email them, nothing at all will change. Give it a shot, you've got almost nothing to lose.

I'll have to look into this! Does it matter that it's the European version of MWS, IE, the one without a developer sandbox (lol)?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Westie posted:

I meant 19X0, like uh, 1990 or something.

:thejoke:

(I am pretty grateful that the oldest poo poo at the worst of our customers is still "only" circa 2004 - if I actually had to deal with any Windows 98 systems or something I think I'd jump off a building).

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Potato Alley posted:

:thejoke:

(I am pretty grateful that the oldest poo poo at the worst of our customers is still "only" circa 2004 - if I actually had to deal with any Windows 98 systems or something I think I'd jump off a building).

I have servers I maintain running Solaris 6, with uptimes of over 5k days.

You can't even reboot that if you want to.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SolTerrasa posted:

Another former Amazon employee here.

5 is "one person is inconvenienced but not blocked"
4 is "one person is blocked."
3 is "multiple persons are blocked"
2 is when people actually start getting paged and people care about the issue.
1 is comparatively rare, and usually A Good Time Is Had By All. I also highly doubt that Bezos gets immediately notified unless Amazon.com is serving everyone blank pages for the last hour with no resolution in sight, and reporters are making a fuss.

If you can get multiple people to complain about the same issue, you have a better chance of it being looked at, because it becomes a sev 3.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 10, 2014

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

guppy posted:

I'd go with "version 8.0.1," myself.

I don't work on personal machines. Unfortunately, my coworker is too big a softie and does it all the time, reinforcing the expectation.

My boss does this for anyone he deems hot. Its extremely frustrating since he spent over 20 hours of work time figuring backing up and fixing a mac for someone who is married and has kids. So it's not like he can even get laid.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
:v:"Why are you using raid 5 on SSD's! You have a write penalty! It's not optimal for writes!"

:)Uhh, because I need the redundancy and the write penalty isn't even noticeable.

I realize raid penalties but it is flash the penalty is not even remotely noticeable even with high IO usage. I mean I could understand on spindles but come on.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Why is my SBS 2003 server ( that we recommended and quoted you a replacement every month for the last 5 years ) so slow?

Because you refuse to upgrade it.

I NEED THIS NOW WTF AM I PAYING YOU FOR?

:suicide:

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Farking Bastage posted:

Why is my SBS 2003 server ( that we recommended and quoted you a replacement every month for the last 5 years ) so slow?

Because you refuse to upgrade it.

I NEED THIS NOW WTF AM I PAYING YOU FOR?

:suicide:

"Here's your bill. We expect payment in full before work begins. Have a nice day!"

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

:v:"Why are you using raid 5 on SSD's! You have a write penalty! It's not optimal for writes!"

:)Uhh, because I need the redundancy and the write penalty isn't even noticeable.

I realize raid penalties but it is flash the penalty is not even remotely noticeable even with high IO usage. I mean I could understand on spindles but come on.
There's a parity calculation penalty, too. I mean, it's probably not meaningful unless its a database server, but raid10 still handily beats raid5, even on ssds.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

There's a parity calculation penalty, too. I mean, it's probably not meaningful unless its a database server, but raid10 still handily beats raid5, even on ssds.

Only have 3 drives, so :shrug: 4th one is still coming back from HP any day now and teaching a VMware view class on spindles SUCKS.

I'll give you that on heavy DB servers you'll most definitely see a difference on 10 vs 5. But the only DB running is a SQLEXPRESS view composer, vcenter, and event log. Nothing to back breaking.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 10, 2014

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Westie posted:

I'll have to look into this! Does it matter that it's the European version of MWS, IE, the one without a developer sandbox (lol)?

Westie, I dont want you to think this rant is pointed at you, but you did inspire it.

Why the gently caress are people so afraid of bugging vendors? Some folks at work are bending over backwards trying to placate a vendor who wants machines set up that will violate our PCI standards. I'm out of that argument, just waiting for someone to make a decision, but jeez.

I have another customer who has totally raped the gently caress out of their own environment trying to get some software installed. They refused to "bother" anyone at the vendor. I made a call (i'm not even a customer) and the guy on the phone gave me all the information I needed to get this done. 10 mins, and I had it working. They hosed around for 2 weeks.

Maybe it's just me, but when I give a bag of money to someone, I have no problems at all asking for help with their software, and yelling at them if I think they are full of poo poo.

I know plenty of my customers have no problems doing the same for me, and it's what i'm there for. I just never understood why people are afraid of vendors at all.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

nitrogen posted:

Westie, I dont want you to think this rant is pointed at you, but you did inspire it.

Why the gently caress are people so afraid of bugging vendors? Some folks at work are bending over backwards trying to placate a vendor who wants machines set up that will violate our PCI standards. I'm out of that argument, just waiting for someone to make a decision, but jeez.

I have another customer who has totally raped the gently caress out of their own environment trying to get some software installed. They refused to "bother" anyone at the vendor. I made a call (i'm not even a customer) and the guy on the phone gave me all the information I needed to get this done. 10 mins, and I had it working. They hosed around for 2 weeks.

Maybe it's just me, but when I give a bag of money to someone, I have no problems at all asking for help with their software, and yelling at them if I think they are full of poo poo.

I know plenty of my customers have no problems doing the same for me, and it's what i'm there for. I just never understood why people are afraid of vendors at all.

If I had to guess, they are afraid that the vendor will charge them an assload of money the next time the contact is up for renewal.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Volmarias posted:

Another former Amazon employee here.

5 is "one person is inconvenienced but not blocked"
4 is "one person is blocked."
3 is "multiple persons are blocked"
2 is when people actually start getting paged and people care about the issue.
1 is comparatively rare, and usually A Good Time Is Had By All. I also highly doubt that Bezos gets immediately notified unless Amazon.com is serving everyone blank pages for the last hour with no resolution in sight, and reporters are making a fuss.

If you can get multiple people to complain about the same issue, you have a better chance of it being looked at, because it becomes a sev 3.

This is actually a pretty good categorization system. I might just borrow this for my current project, since it's pissing me off that the QA team can't describe their criteria for defect severities.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

This is actually a pretty good categorization system. I might just borrow this for my current project, since it's pissing me off that the QA team can't describe their criteria for defect severities.

or everything is critical/blocker; good thing I can adjust workflows in Jira to accommodate the snowflake children

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Glad to be an inspiration!

As a vender of sorts myself, the issue I have is that some of the vendors appear to be faceless corporate entities that won't budge despite you asking politely, giving them suggestions how to improve stuff, etc.
Most of the vendors I've dealt with have been really co-operative and basically made my life easy.

I imagined that because of Amazon's size and the lack of support on the MWS forums - there's pretty much only one user (not staff) that regularly responds to 'questions' on those forums - I guessed that it was one of those faceless corporate entities. The lack of a sandbox is a well known issue and is banded about those forums quote often, usually in the form of 'how do I test', quickly followed by a 'you can't/do it on live', so :sigh:.

I might post a defect notice over lunch - saying that it's breaking production staging or whatever.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So I took a week off, clearing up the last of my leave before the march rush as everyone uses all their free time up at once. So what happened while I was off?

Oh, not much, door codes changed, that's weird. Hey where's the other new starter... oh dear.

He got fired for smoking outside of work. During non working hours, while away from the office and not in uniform. My boss is a dick.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

dogstile posted:

So I took a week off, clearing up the last of my leave before the march rush as everyone uses all their free time up at once. So what happened while I was off?

Oh, not much, door codes changed, that's weird. Hey where's the other new starter... oh dear.

He got fired for smoking outside of work. During non working hours, while away from the office and not in uniform. My boss is a dick.

By smoking do you mean :350: or do you mean tobacco? If it's tobacco, how is that even legal?

Ynglaur posted:

You just have to be careful, since everything has a tendency to become a Sev 3, as a programming error means that the problem could happen to more than one person. It's a one-size-fits-all categorization that may not make sense for your team. You'll also still need to worry about incorrectly escalated issues; if you don't have the authority to prevent shithead managers from turning every trivial thing into a sev 2, then it's not going to help much.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Tobacco. My boss is trying to say his performance is lacking but I doubt that'll stand. He's going to get sued regardless, he fired a guy who didn't have a problem going straight to a lawyer.

E: This is worth explaining. My boss had one bad employee who happened to be a smoker, they argued while this guy was on a smoke break. Since then he's said that we're not allowed to smoke at the workplace and he pretty clearly has a problem with people who smoke, to the point of asking the new guys at least once a week during their training process if they smoke or not, as he doesn't trust smokers.

Of course, everyone either said "I quit a while ago" or "i don't". This guy was a "I quit a while ago" and started up again when the calls got stressful. He doesn't even go for smoke breaks, he goes during his lunch. I seriously don't understand why his habit was a problem aside from my boss just being a dick.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 10, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't know whether that's hilarious or tragic

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Does he get paid for lunch break? If not, then :lol:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Well, standard 8 hour shift + half an hour for lunch, so, well, no.

Laugh away. I am, it hides the hurt.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
In at-will employment states in the US, smokers are not considered a protected class, so he might not have a leg to stand on. That said, I'm sure your boss' boss would be thrilled at the additional recruiting and severance costs incurred by your boss.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
A lot of people at my old job smoked, and it caused some problems. Those problems were mostly a result of them smoking right outside the emergency stairs with the emergency door left open, so that the smoke would float up and saturate the entire hall. It was disgusting. That was fixed by making people close the door, which I'm pretty sure is some kind of fire code/state law anyway. Who cares if they smoke if it's not directly causing problems?

I hope that guy takes them to the cleaners.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ynglaur posted:

In at-will employment states in the US, smokers are not considered a protected class, so he might not have a leg to stand on. That said, I'm sure your boss' boss would be thrilled at the additional recruiting and severance costs incurred by your boss.

They won't have a discrimination case, but they probably would be able to demand unemployment if the employer tried to block it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Che Delilas posted:

A lot of people at my old job smoked, and it caused some problems. Those problems were mostly a result of them smoking right outside the emergency stairs with the emergency door left open, so that the smoke would float up and saturate the entire hall. It was disgusting. That was fixed by making people close the door, which I'm pretty sure is some kind of fire code/state law anyway. Who cares if they smoke if it's not directly causing problems?

I hope that guy takes them to the cleaners.

At the place I used to work at, everyone smoked. At their desks, in the breakrooms, hell even on the plant floor.

Old IT guy used to smoke in the loving server room. Ugh.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Gonna just throw it out there that we're in the UK so i'm not quite sure what law will be applicable. I actually know more about US working laws than I do UK due to all my working friends being in the US.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Haha if you're in the UK then your employer is so hosed it's unreal

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

dogstile posted:

Gonna just throw it out there that we're in the UK so i'm not quite sure what law will be applicable. I actually know more about US working laws than I do UK due to all my working friends being in the US.

Caged posted:

No kidding. An employer cannot fire you for activities that take place in your own time.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They'd be hosed even if the guy had massively screwed up if they hadn't gone through the written warning, meeting to discuss the warning, written confirmation of meeting outcome process.

That it happened outside of work just makes it even more :wtf:. A probation period doesn't cover these sorts of situations, you still need to go through the process above, it just allows you to shorten the notice period.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Helushune posted:

"It's running slow and won't let me on the internet"

gently caress our "Bring in your personal machines and our IT department will fix them (for free)!" policy.

Never be surprised how much some people can gently caress up their system without realizing it. My mother was trying to install Skype the other day, and not only did she fail to do it, she somehow managed to wind up at a website that had nothing to do with skype and was halfway through installing some kind of fake antivirus program before she thought to get me to look at it. On her Mac. :psyduck:

Go to google, google "skype", click first link, download, get mac version, double-click installer when it finishes. How do you mess that up?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
This means that my boss is in for a trainwreck, i'll keep you guys updated. As an end note, when I say boss, I mean the CEO fired him. I refer to my manager as my manager rather than boss.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

dogstile posted:

This means that my boss is in for a trainwreck, i'll keep you guys updated. As an end note, when I say boss, I mean the CEO fired him. I refer to my manager as my manager rather than boss.

There are a few employee rights in the US that aren't totally stamped out yet. The first one is that if you are salary and you work at all in a day, they must pay you for the full day, PTO isn't protected however.

The second is that if agree to be hired at a certain rate and you aren't paid that rate you can sue. To be not paid at all is laughable and its a no win for whatever company that employed you. Its actually really easy to find a lawyer to litigate on your behalf for this. You are entitled to your full pay plus possible other extras.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

President Ark posted:

Go to google, google "skype", click first link

Those are probably the very steps that caused the problem.

People who don't use AdBlock often get malware links in a yellow ad box above their actual search results.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

HalloKitty posted:

Those are probably the very steps that caused the problem.

People who don't use AdBlock often get malware links in a yellow ad box above their actual search results.

Yeah, given those directions, I get an ad for a "downloadinfo.co" download of Skype that gives this VirusTotal summary.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

President Ark posted:

Go to google, google "skype", click first link, download, get mac version, double-click installer when it finishes. How do you mess that up?

When you say "click" does she say "is that the left button or the right button on the thing in my hand?"?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Caged posted:

"New Starter"

If it's the 3 month probationary period then they might get away with this, unfortunately. Just by saying something like "wasn't a good fit with the team" or similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Huh, I had always heard that the double whammy of write penalty + no TRIM support meant that SSDs in a RAID were a no-no. Has this changed or was I terribly misinformed?