Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Mr. Smiley Face is the scariest cartoon character that I draw.
For once I agree, Mr. Drybones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fulchrum posted:

Near as I can tell, a buffer between them and South Korea, a significantly powerful American military ally on the same landmass. China know that openly antagonizing the US would be a bad idea, but really want to keep as many barriers possible between Daeseong-dong and Dandong. So, the best way to achieve both is with a crazy dictator who is psychotically obsessed with openly antagonizing South Korea and the West, who China support on principle but have no control over.

It's mostly this, but there's also the giant humanitarian crises they're putting off by supporting the place.

Edit: and by giant humanitarian crises I mean they don't want to have to deal with the refugees.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Fulchrum posted:

Near as I can tell, a buffer between them and South Korea, a significantly powerful American military ally on the same landmass. China know that openly antagonizing the US would be a bad idea, but really want to keep as many barriers possible between Daeseong-dong and Dandong. So, the best way to achieve both is with a crazy dictator who is psychotically obsessed with openly antagonizing South Korea and the West, who China support on principle but have no control over.

You'll notice that this is exactly the same as the CIA backed anti-communist forces who were complete monsters in South America. The US is not the only country to keep a population in misery out of complete paranoia.

Wanamingo posted:

It's mostly this, but there's also the giant humanitarian crises they're putting off by supporting the place.

Edit: and by giant humanitarian crises I mean they don't want to have to deal with the refugees.

Both of these, plus the fact that China can get access to N.Korean raw materials cheap, as they are pretty much NK's only trading partner. China also doesn't want North Korea to rejoin with South Korea, since they would then be a greater threat economically and militarily.

That said China and North Korea do have a lot of disagreements, they just try an present a unified front the world.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm trying to process the idea that gay rights and the minimum wage are distractions from Obamacare. Man, those Stonewall Riot people sure were forward-thinkers, distracting everyone from something that wouldn't even exist for 40 years!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

These cartoons are just despicable. Stop pretending Ukraine has no agency in these events, and is just choosing between two predetermined polar options.

Fulchrum posted:

A long-term missionary acquaintance tells me the main reason is that China is absolutely terrified of being flooded by human traffickers, drug & black market smugglers, and various other criminal elements, not to mention military personnel, military material and the rampant diseases that would come with refugees and trespassers. Keeping the border shut and safe is supposedly a nightmare even with a "strong" foreign-backed government in place, and there is already organized crime thriving on the weak points.

His perception may be skewed due to the sort of problems he encounters when dealing with North Korea communities, though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

made of bees posted:

Come on, is it really that hard to do a recognizable Putin caricature?
The cartoonist obviously wanted to do a cartoon with two mascots, but the closest thing the EU has to a mascot would be a faceless bureaucrat and that doesn't look very recognisable. So, a bear and Merkel.

I like it. Who's the artist? I don't recognise the signature.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

R. Mute posted:

I like it. Who's the artist? I don't recognise the signature.

It's Bendib, he does cartoons for Muslim-American publications.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

edit: how do i remove double post

esto es malo fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 22, 2014

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Si vis pacem, para bellum

It's time reality sets in. Sadly, it may never come!
...but it is only the well-being of Israel we have to lose.

Our Store: store.drybones.com

Labels: America, American Jews, antisemitism, crossword, executive orders, Islam, Israel, Justice, Middle East peace reality, Muslims, Nuclear Option, Obama, President

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

joeburz posted:

Si vis pacem, para bellum

It's time reality sets in. Sadly, it may never come!
...but it is only the well-being of Israel we have to lose.

Our Store: store.drybones.com

Labels: America, American Jews, antisemitism, crossword, executive orders, Islam, Israel, Justice, Middle East peace reality, Muslims, Nuclear Option, Obama, President

At first I couldn't tell if this was an edit. So good job.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

crowfeathers posted:

At first I couldn't tell if this was an edit. So good job.

Old joke, but, of course it's an edit. It doesn't mention Jonathan Pollard.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Definitely couldn't be freeing Jonathan Pollard since his imprisonment wasn't unjust.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

crowfeathers posted:

It's Bendib, he does cartoons for Muslim-American publications.
He's good, but looking through his archive, I can just see the ones this thread wouldn't be able to handle. Here's a fun one, though:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

And think of all the people that would be helped if we lowered the minimum wage all the way down to nothing? :downs:

I...

This has to be some sort of cry for help. There is no possible way anyone thought "Hrm...Cutting the ladder, and we'll call the minimum wage, that doesn't talk about how bad things will be if we cut the minimum wage at *all*."

Is there someone trapped in an newspaper printing facility? Is this the last cry of an individual whom has not seen another human soul for decades?

:ohdear:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I hate to say it, but as bad as the American side is, it isn't "genocide, genocide, massacre". It's kind of undermining the message of the cartoon.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

"Bimbo eruptions"

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Sir Rolo posted:

"Bimbo eruptions"

Pretty sure that homunculus is displaying fairly severe starvation at this point.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

WarpedNaba posted:

Pretty sure that homunculus is displaying fairly severe starvation at this point.

Are you sure it's even alive? I'm getting a real ventriloquist dummy vibe off that thing. You know, more than usual for a Muir cartoon.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Sir Rolo posted:

"Bimbo eruptions"

Wasn't it proven that Kathleen Willey told several blatant lies to the people investigating her claims of harassment? Just stick to Monica next time.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Kirschen and his LSW (Long Suffering Wife) have become trapped in the internet!

The only other person who has been this trapped...

is Jonathan Pollard!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

R. Mute posted:

He's good, but looking through his archive, I can just see the ones this thread wouldn't be able to handle. Here's a fun one, though:

Eh, I'm not seeing anything more controversial there than you see with Rall or Latuff, and they both get posted regularly.

Mmann
Dec 1, 2007

Kyoon Was Right
12/21/12

DarklyDreaming posted:

Wasn't it proven that Kathleen Willey told several blatant lies to the people investigating her claims of harassment? Just stick to Monica next time.

Isn't she a part of that whole 'the Clintons killed Vince Foster' stuff too?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Allen Wren posted:

Old joke, but, of course it's an edit. It doesn't mention Jonathan Pollard.

edit: forgot the improved kirschen signature in this one

esto es malo fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 22, 2014

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Are you sure it's even alive? I'm getting a real ventriloquist dummy vibe off that thing. You know, more than usual for a Muir cartoon.
Who's to say it wasn't alive, and she's pulling a Santorum :unsmigghh:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mmann posted:

Isn't she a part of that whole 'the Clintons killed Vince Foster' stuff too?

Waiting for the DbD now...

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Hey everyone- I posted this in the last thread but figured I'd share it again here, especially since I did some edits and actually hosted it on a separate website!

I'm frequently involved in the weekly Thunderdome flash fiction contest over in CC. If you've got any desire to hone your fiction-writing skills, I highly recommend it, they're a great bunch! Anyway, I'm not just giving them a plug- last year, one week's prompt was to pick another SA thread to write a story about. I chose this one.

But what could I write about? With so many recurring characters it was sort of tough to pick. I could have written the tale of Muir getting his roof repaired, the saga of a village about to be crushed under a mountain of DEBT, or even the legend of a duck who, after extensive genetic experimenting, is left with the ability to talk/crippling alcoholism!

But something about this incident stuck out to me.

So, without further ado, here's "Garry Malloy Stands His Ground". I hope you guys like it!

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Are rightwingers really upset that the First Lady is appearing on the Tonight Show rather than dealing with world crises?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Devor posted:

Kirschen and his LSW (Long Suffering Wife) have become trapped in the internet!

The only other person who has been this trapped...

is Jonathan Pollard!

That gif should really be edited into the blue book from Myst.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Why IS china supporting North Korea? I know that they are, I just don't really get why. What does China gain from helping them stay isolated and starving?

The reasons noted above are good explanations. For my two cents, Chinese military officials are paranoid about American "encirclement" tactics- so the buffer approach is also an attempt to avoid that. John Fallows has written about this over at the Atlantic a fair bit.

Russia does the same- it's why they prop up dictators in various former USSR states. It's true that the US has its share of this tactic in its past, the difference is we stopped doing that and have generally moved on to more open, less military and less directly conflict-laden efforts, something that was largely made possible by the collapse of the soviet union- we're not really under threat in the Western hemisphere these days. Instead we can pick at the easy targets of these dictators in the various buffer zones, usually through indirect and nonmilitary support- better for our international image.

Which isn't to say that the W Bush administration didn't go a long way toward screwing up that modern, more effective approach to foreign policy.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 22, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Well, this is disingenuous.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Sir Rolo posted:

"Bimbo eruptions"

"Mom I've been watching these youtube videos about her for hours when can I watch cartoons?"

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Digging something up from a while back I didn't see addressed.

Daktar posted:

Do these people not realise that the Ukraine and Russia haven't been the same country since 1991? The hell do the protests have to do with the winter Olympics?

The Ukrainian athletes asked the IOC for permission to wear black armbands to mourn the people being killed in the unrest. The IOC refused the request.

Sir Rolo posted:

"Bimbo eruptions"

Wasn't questioning Clarence Thomas about sexual harassment complaints made directly against him a 'high tech lynching'? So what do you call questioning someone about sexual harassment complaints that aren't even directed a them?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Hillary hates women so much that she makes her husband sexually harass and grope them. This is a power that she has, because she is a sociopathic ballbusting harridan whose only goal is unlimited power.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013
I love how big a right-wing talking point right now is trying to redefine the "real war on women" or the "real racism".

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sir Rolo posted:

"Bimbo eruptions"

That kid is dead.

btw come see my band Bimbo Eruption at Flannigan's on 1st ave @ 7 PM tomorrow!

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
It doesn't matter if Kathleen Willie was lying or not; it doesn't matter if Bill Clinton is literally a rapist serial killer with the bodies of coeds in the backyard where Hillary helped bury them. The War on Women refers to the Republican policies that adversely affect women in the nation, not an individual member of whichever party being a shitheel to women on a personal level. Go gently caress yourself, Muir.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Holy poo poo. I don't think even Rall has gone this far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walking
Nov 27, 2013
I didn't think someone could do a worse drone cartoon than Rall, but there it is.

• Locked thread