Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

vyelkin posted:

MacKay is boldly tackling the big issues:

I like this one, just from how ridiculous this driver must be to try driving while carving a pumpkin, as well as eating and consulting a map (which I thought was a copy of Mad magazine for a second).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Something on the Day by Day website makes Adobe Shockwave crash.

joethesurly
Mar 10, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

The F35 is such a piece of garbage that randomly removing components has a high chance of improving performance. AGC.

Obviously Ramirez is too much of a wussy librul to know how real military planes work :smuggo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LveSc8Lp0ZE :smuggo:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

vyelkin posted:

For context, Ontario is increasing distracted driving fines through a judicial order from the Chief Justice of the Ontario Court of Justice, given that the Insurance Board of Canada says that distracted driving now kills more Ontarians than drunk driving.

MacKay also included a couple of older cartoons of his in the news post accompanying this cartoon:

These are like "climate change is the real threat :rolleye:" level gags, except who the gently caress gets that up in arms about distracted driving?

Who gets that up in arms about something provably dangerous, backed by a large body of research, whose threat is huge but largely unacknowledged and somewhat nebulous, and where mitigating that threat would require a change in the way a lot of people live their life? .... :smith:

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

SKILL: it has electrolytes!

A Ted Rall Cartoon

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

XavierGenisi posted:

I like this one, just from how ridiculous this driver must be to try driving while carving a pumpkin, as well as eating and consulting a map (which I thought was a copy of Mad magazine for a second).

I like it because it has Rick Santorum taking Elizabeth II for a drive for no reason.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

alnilam posted:

These are like "climate change is the real threat :rolleye:" level gags, except who the gently caress gets that up in arms about distracted driving?

Who gets that up in arms about something provably dangerous, backed by a large body of research, whose threat is huge but largely unacknowledged and somewhat nebulous, and where mitigating that threat would require a change in the way a lot of people live their life? .... :smith:

The thing you have to remember about MacKay is that his political opinions are actually really hard to pin down a lot of the time. He's way more dedicated to making a joke or a funny drawing than he is to making some ice burn against some politician he dislikes. Also, he basically dislikes all our politicians, so there's very little cheerleading.

He also actually works for a newspaper, so I expect at least some of his cartoons are commissioned by his editors to match specific articles.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

joethesurly posted:

Obviously Ramirez is too much of a wussy librul to know how real military planes work :smuggo:

Nah, that's exactly what he was getting at:

The lifting body fuselages of modern jet fighters produce most of their lift, making them capable of flying with one wing: A Planefacts Cartoon

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I'd like this a lot better if

1) It wasn't written in Streeterese
2) It was more obvious he was standing to block a door
3) No use of Person Holding Newspaper With The Point Of The Cartoon On It

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

vyelkin posted:

That cop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bx5FIWIIZE

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Radish posted:

Bloom County had censored words which fit since you knew the types of characters involved were saying some raw stuff but there's no way that would get past an editor. Additionally Berke Breathed would get meta about it a lot and use comic conventions like sound effects, sight gags, and censored curse words as 4th wall breaking jokes.

Bloom County was absolutely fantastic, by the way. One of my favorite comics of all time.

That was from 1982, by the way. Ascribe your own relevance.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Easiest AGC ever?

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

colonel_korn posted:

Easiest AGC ever?

I don't believe you. We can't possibly be meant to look at this and sympathize with the literal killing machines.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Amarkov posted:

I don't believe you. We can't possibly be meant to look at this and sympathize with the literal killing machines.

And yet you are. Funny how that works eh?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

gardenald posted:

That was from 1982, by the way. Ascribe your own relevance.

The entire hardbound collection is definitely worth checking out, but everyone here should look at Volume 1 in particular, just to see how not a single goddamned thing has changed in 30+ years.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

JT Jag posted:

The two of them spout off about dumb poo poo sometimes, especially Gabe. I expect they will be kept on-topic in regards to their part in the movie though.

As long as we're musing about conversations of Political Cartoons thread past-

This one was really weird, because the comic was posted twice, I don't remember how far apart, maybe a few days to a week. First time the thread was just really disgusted at how ham-handed and dumb it was. The second time, the reaction was begrudging admiration for making a good point.

Just goes to show things here can change a lot depending on who's post ready at the time.

Also their archive keywords are not at all intuitive. I had to just give up and find that with Google Image Search instead. Here, have another one that's kind of thread related.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 28, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Some Guy TT posted:

As long as we're musing about conversations of Political Cartoons thread past-

Wow, that's terrible. I agree with the argument, but reading it makes me agree with the argument less. It's like an anti-opinion cartoon. It's more :smug: than JJ.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Discendo Vox posted:

Wow, that's terrible. I agree with the argument, but reading it makes me agree with the argument less. It's like an anti-opinion cartoon. It's more :smug: than JJ.

I don't know if I'd call it smug, necessarily- to me it's more like "Look at how thoughtful and sensitive and poetic I'm being, guys!"

I mean, come on. "It is a very odd sort of Patriot..." :laffo:

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

colonel_korn posted:

Easiest AGC ever?

As pointed out by the Daily Show last night, something like $100 million in food stamps are redeemed by military families.

So, yes, some day, all of that may be piloted by people on food stamps.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

vyelkin posted:

For context, Ontario is increasing distracted driving fines through a judicial order from the Chief Justice of the Ontario Court of Justice, given that the Insurance Board of Canada says that distracted driving now kills more Ontarians than drunk driving.

Just makes me think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txoCOebILZk

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nikaer Drekin posted:

I mean, come on. "It is a very odd sort of Patriot..." :laffo:

Despite the fact that Jerry is paid to write... he is not exactly super wonderful at it. Unless you love the overly verbose.

On the movie front, despite how big it's gotten Penny-Arcade's success isn't exactly a super interesting story. "We got there first, got lucky, and hired someone who knew how to brand." That's literally it.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

inkblot posted:

Despite the fact that Jerry is paid to write... he is not exactly super wonderful at it. Unless you love the overly verbose.

On the movie front, despite how big it's gotten Penny-Arcade's success isn't exactly a super interesting story. "We got there first, got lucky, and hired someone who knew how to brand." That's literally it.

There's a bit more to it than that, and to their immense credit, I can't think of any other webcomic that hasn't missed a single update, especially over the course of 16 years.

Good god, how did me posting about Bill Watterson end up with a Penny Arcade derail?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

inkblot posted:

The guy recommended Gene Wolfe. Enough said there. :v:

e:

XyloJW posted:

There's a bit more to it than that, and to their immense credit, I can't think of any other webcomic that hasn't missed a single update, especially over the course of 16 years.

Gunnerkrigg Court :colbert:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

XyloJW posted:

Good god, how did me posting about Bill Watterson end up with a Penny Arcade derail?

Goons like to talk about what they hate more than what they like.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

colonel_korn posted:

Easiest AGC ever?

Shouldn't it be Hagel saying that?

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Garrand posted:

Goons like to talk about what they hate more than what they like.

To be fair that's literally any human being.

Edit:

Garrand posted:

All humans are goons.

Agreed.

inkblot fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 28, 2014

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

The Iron Rose posted:

Shouldn't it be Hagel saying that?

I read it as Obama trying (and failing) to console Hagel.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

inkblot posted:

To be fair that's literally any human being.

All humans are goons.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Rorus Raz posted:

Tom Tomorrow is on Medium's Nib now. Not sure if this has been posted yet.

This would be really strong imagery... if the "guns don't kill people" line hadn't been invented. As is, the whole thing feels like a visual translation of that talking point, a Reductio Ad Absurdum pro-gun cartoon.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

colonel_korn posted:

Easiest AGC ever?

The F-22 was a disaster, the Army doesn't want any more Abrams, and the A-10 is ancient.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

inkblot posted:

That's literally it for most companies. Penny Arcade got there first, hit the market just right, hooked up with someone who knows how to run a business, and has steadily brought more talent under their umbrella. See also Coke, Nike, Budweiser, Lids, McDonalds, Yum Brands...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Fried Chicken posted:

That's literally it for most companies. Penny Arcade got there first, hit the market just right, hooked up with someone who knows how to run a business, and has steadily brought more talent under their umbrella. See also Coke, Nike, Budweiser, Lids, McDonalds, Yum Brands...

There's a difference, in that the core product of the company is directly tethered to the lucky chuckleheads who started the enterprise, and who apparently still won't get muzzled by the smarter and saner talent in the boardroom. Imagine if McDonald's was run by Dennis Miller, and he had to personally make a speech at the opening of every franchise restaurant.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

colonel_korn posted:

Easiest AGC ever?

My favorite thing about all these people decrying cutting military spending yet bemoaning too much spending is that the Army has begged congress to stop giving out contracts to make tanks because they have so many they can't use there are tanks that are literally falling apart after having sat unused for years. But congress keeps hanging out contracts for more tanks! Clearly the military doesn't need its spending cut!

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

XyloJW posted:

Bill Watterson did art for a movie poster, the Penny Arcade guys are in the movie. :geno:

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Bill Watterson did art for a movie poster, the Penny Arcade guys are in the movie. :geno:

The first art by Watterson in almost two decades, but people wanna snark about two fools who occasionally say dumb things but still enjoy success. Idgi

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

YEAH I KNOW

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Discendo Vox posted:

There's a difference, in that the core product of the company is directly tethered to the lucky chuckleheads who started the enterprise, and who apparently still won't get muzzled by the smarter and saner talent in the boardroom. Imagine if McDonald's was run by Dennis Miller, and he had to personally make a speech at the opening of every franchise restaurant.

So like Uber, Path, Kleiner Perkins...

You want to hate on Gabe for being a shithead, that's cool. I'm certainly not gonna gainsay you. But don't pretend there is any magical difference between them being successful and 99% of other successful companies out there.

And that poster isn't the first public art Watterson has done in 18 years, he did this poster back in 2012.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

And that poster isn't the first public art Watterson has done in 18 years, he did this poster back in 2012.

Are you suggesting Huffington Post was wrong?!...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Lyndon J. Bohnson was a bad president.

• Locked thread