Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Twerk from Home posted:

Would you write Mazda a $50k check though? That's a ton of new, expensive things at once for a company that is low on R&D money, and given that a Miata starts at about $24k sticker, I'd expect an N/A RX-7 to be north of $30k and one that hot to run above $40k for sure. Mazda doesn't even have any hybrid systems available to them that I know of.

On second thought, the FD was about $60k inflation adjusted, so maybe they will be brave enough to build a high-end sports car. I just don't see how the market is there though.

Their whole current ethos seems against the idea of a tech'd out, expensive RX-7. Mazda is currently focused on weight reduction and high efficiency 4 bangers. The Miata is a perfect halo car for their current line, so they have no reason for the RX he is imagining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Wasn't the RX-7 the worst selling even out of all the overpriced overteched japanese 90s halo cars?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cream_Filling posted:

Wasn't the RX-7 the worst selling even out of all the overpriced overteched japanese 90s halo cars?

Mazda is a small company with a small dealer base compared to a Toyota or Honda, it wouldn't surprise me, and the FD was old on sale for a few years in total in the US I think.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Also, the FD didn't have a cheaper base model. You could get a NA Supra, 3000GT or 300Z. The RX-7 of that time only came in hot TT trims. And I don't think any of the mid-late 90's higher end Japanese sports cars sold that well.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

Still waiting for a gas-turbine extended-range EV.

:colbert:

Nothing much came of the Volvo ECC sadly. Well, except for the S80 design being heavily influenced by it six years later.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Twerk from Home posted:

Would you write Mazda a $50k check though? That's a ton of new, expensive things at once for a company that is low on R&D money, and given that a Miata starts at about $24k sticker, I'd expect an N/A RX-7 to be north of $30k and one that hot to run above $40k for sure. Mazda doesn't even have any hybrid systems available to them that I know of.

On second thought, the FD was about $60k inflation adjusted, so maybe they will be brave enough to build a high-end sports car. I just don't see how the market is there though.

I would, actually. A lot of the people that grew up idolizing the Supra/300ZX/FD/3000GT have grown up and now have the money for something like that. While I didn't idolize those cars growing up I'm certainly in the age range and I have a lingering fondness for the rotary. The car I described doesn't make sense for Mazda but then again, the rotary has never made financial sense for them.

If they never release another rotary sports car there's a very good chance I'll get another FD and build up a decent 3-rotor at some point in my life. And when I say I'll build it up, I mean let Aeka do all the work.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

MrYenko posted:

Still waiting for a gas-turbine extended-range EV.
:colbert:
You mean like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy1n6pUXpM8
http://www.truckinginfo.com/channel...maker-says.aspx

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAeDuBMgSIc

Everything about this sounds excellent:
-Rear-engine, rear-wheel drive
-Manual and twin-clutch gearboxes
-4 doors
-Turbo 3-cylinder engine
-RenaultSport version in the future (fingers crossed)

... I need to move to Europe :flashfap:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Would have been funnier if it was rear-engine, front-wheel drive. (I'm just wondering why they felt the need to point out that yes, our rear-engined car is in fact RWD.)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Supposedly it's coming here under Smart branding

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Snowdens Secret posted:

Auto only no doubt.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Neat concept, this would work well for city buses too, all that stopping and starting really fits the drivetrain. Lower emissions/noise would be a huge plus too, and hey no DPF!

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Hey look, there's a new 500L Jeep

http://jalopnik.com/2015-jeep-renegade-this-is-it-1534601079

(sorry for Jalopnik)

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Snowdens Secret posted:

Got a source for that one? I mean, it sounds like a pretty wild extension of the Renault-Nissan-Mercedes triumvirate.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

blk posted:

(sorry for Jalopnik)

If it looks like that and not some version of the new Cherokee, I'd be tempted. Would have to see the numbers, first, though.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Got a source for that one? I mean, it sounds like a pretty wild extension of the Renault-Nissan-Mercedes triumvirate.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/02/nobody-told-renault-that-its-backwards-day/#more-746073

Correction, it will 'underpin' a Smart

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

A rear-wheel drive French car that doesn't suck possibly coming state-side and BMW will start using front-wheel drive - I'm scared... :ohdear:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

blk posted:

(sorry for Jalopnik)

Hey it doesn't look like crap. I'm shocked.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm more OK with that than the new cherokee.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

I'm more OK with that than the new cherokee.

Also from what I've heard the at least the older Panda 4x4s were surprisingly good and useful off-road, so it probably won't even really hurt that aspect of the brand image. Don't know much about the latest versions though.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
THey are a short wheelbase car with small overhangs, just like the old Suzuki Samurais, in factory stock form I'm sure they do fine off road until you roll over.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Saw the other angle shots that came out after. What is up with the fatass c pillars? That greenhouse in general is bizzare from anyrhing other than the myspace angle of the first leaked shot.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Everything about this sounds excellent:
-Rear-engine, rear-wheel drive
-Manual and twin-clutch gearboxes
-4 doors
-Turbo 3-cylinder engine
-RenaultSport version in the future (fingers crossed)

I totally want one, and I think it's actually more faithful to the design of the old Fiat 500 than the current 500 is.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I absolutely love that new little Jeep Renegade.

4x4, diesel engine (supposedly for North America!), 9spd auto... Not too bad!

Ralph Gilles says everything will be officially unveiled tomorrow at 4am EST.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

There's a ton of Renegade pictures here and also in red: http://www.autobild.de/artikel/jeep-renegade-genfer-autosalon-2014-4957576.html

I think Jeep has another hit on its hands.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I like it because it reminds me of dream factory blow's minimurican kei trucks.

They should make a ute/pickup version.

Edit: hopefully it either comes with a stick, or they figure out how to stop the 9-speed from grenading itself every 5000 miles.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tekne posted:

I think Jeep has another hit on its hands.

Yeah, that's probably going to sell really well. It's quirky and people like that sort of thing.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I like it because it reminds me of dream factory blow's minimurican kei trucks.

They should make a ute/pickup version.

Edit: hopefully it either comes with a stick, or they figure out how to stop the 9-speed from grenading itself every 5000 miles.

want that Chevy stoner van.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Powershift posted:

The 9-speed is made by ZF though, I thought their transmissions were fairly reliable. Manual would be best though, especially with low range for the three people who actually take it offroad.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

The 9-speed is made by ZF though, I thought their transmissions were fairly reliable. Manual would be best though, especially with low range for the three people who actually take it offroad.

With 9 gears I don't think you'll need a separate low range :)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

The 9-speed is designed by ZF, it's still built by chrysler who has a reputation for glass transmissions.

http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/33-engine-technical-discussion/4762-transmission-woes.html

You Am I posted:

With 9 gears I don't think you'll need a separate low range :)

First gear is still 4.7:1 and 5th is still 1:1. It just has a fuckton of overdrive gears.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
"Real Jeep People!!!" are super mad about it which means it's going to be successful.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cream_Filling posted:

Also from what I've heard the at least the older Panda 4x4s were surprisingly good and useful off-road, so it probably won't even really hurt that aspect of the brand image. Don't know much about the latest versions though.

Throatwarbler posted:

THey are a short wheelbase car with small overhangs, just like the old Suzuki Samurais, in factory stock form I'm sure they do fine off road until you roll over.
They're very good in any situation that doesn't involve needing a lot of ground clearance - on things like snow and wet grass they're amazing.

The new ones aren't quite as focused, but then again they're nowhere near as basic, either. Certainly more capable than anyone would believe, though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

"Real Jeep People!!!" are super mad about it which means it's going to be successful.

I kinda feel like I'm a part of "the problem" because because we're car shopping for my wife and we absolutely HATE CUVs but I see this, show her, and we both go 'Yeah this looks good'. I don't get how I can look at almost any other CUV and go 'gross!' but look at this and thumbs up. I suppose it's because she drives a Nissan Cube right now so the quirk works much like has already been stated.

If it doesn't come with a manual option though it's a no go, she demands a manual and a hatch or wagon which means we'll probably add another VW to the stable since they are the only ones offering.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

KakerMix posted:

I kinda feel like I'm a part of "the problem" because because we're car shopping for my wife and we absolutely HATE CUVs but I see this, show her, and we both go 'Yeah this looks good'. I don't get how I can look at almost any other CUV and go 'gross!' but look at this and thumbs up. I suppose it's because she drives a Nissan Cube right now so the quirk works much like has already been stated.

If it doesn't come with a manual option though it's a no go, she demands a manual and a hatch or wagon which means we'll probably add another VW to the stable since they are the only ones offering.

*ahem*

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

The 9-speed is designed by ZF, it's still built by chrysler who has a reputation for glass transmissions.

http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/33-engine-technical-discussion/4762-transmission-woes.html

Not every ZF product has to be good, either.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Also Subaru still does a manual Imperza I think.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 4, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Saw two Cadillac test mules on the way to work today. First was a two door, not covered up much - think it was an ELR mule. Second was a large four door in full camo.... not sure what that was.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

There's always the Scion xB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

I get that the Cube has people that hate it, but the 500L is straight up hideous. Interiors of them is just as bad as the normal 500s too, a big slab of shiny plastic right in your face. Also the dealership wouldn't let us test drive the Abarth they had on the lot even though we pulled up in a Golf R.

Cream_Filling posted:

Also Subaru still does a manual Imperza I think.

No hatch on the normal Impreza so that's out and the Crosstrek is ok (and has a 5 speed option) but it's kinda worse than a SUV because it's a crossover. The STI maybe but man those interiors, also the newest model doesn't have a hatch!

PCOS Bill posted:

There's always the Scion xB

The xB is flabby now and this 'new' one goes completely against the whole idea of the first xB. I could sell her more on the FRS/BRZ more than I could sell her on an xB.
Basically we are on the end of consumers that car manufacturers don't care about, but we're aware of it. If that means we have two Golf Rs then so be it.