Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Also why has Muir been harping about the vox.com poo poo lately? The gently caress even is it? The gently caress does anybody care?

Well, you see, it turns out that Matthew Yglesias is a huge hypocrite. I mean, how can you write this blistering hit piece on GE and then reach a business agreement with the very same company later?? It just does not. make. sense. Hang on—I'm also receiving word that vox.com is also RUN using electricity! Nice try, Ezra Klein, but you've got to get up pretty early in the morning to get one past me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lycus posted:

Whenever Tinsley hears about something unusual on the news, be it bacon deodorant or crocodiles in trees, he just can't stop talking about it for months. He probably talks about that stuff constantly with family/friends too.

A person like Tinsley? One could only hope he talks to you about something as empty and vacuous as that.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.
My wife, who doesn't know who Ted Rall is, just glanced at my screen while this image was displayed and said, "Who drew that? A retarded blind child?"

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Vogon Poet posted:

My wife, who doesn't know who Ted Rall is, just glanced at my screen while this image was displayed and said, "Who drew that? A retarded blind child?"

Did you tell her "yes"?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Also why has Muir been harping about the vox.com poo poo lately? The gently caress even is it? The gently caress does anybody care?

vox is the new masthead run by Yglesias and Ezra Klein, both of whom have relatively good, and relatively deserved, reputations as being subject-matter knowledgable journalists. Klein ran the "wonkblog" for the Washington Post for a number of years, and his work there did a great deal to preserve that publication's value. There's no guarantee that vox will be any good, but its owners are at least capable of walking the walk and talking the talk. Muir is likely targeting it because the owners, as relatively policy and numeracy-literate journalists, are openly Democrat-leaning.

chairface posted:

Did you tell her "yes"?

Deeply unfair to blind mentally handicapped children.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Vogon Poet posted:

My wife, who doesn't know who Ted Rall is,

Calling bullshit on this, everyone knows who Ted Rall is.

quote:

You don’t have to be a regular reader to know that I’ve been depicting Barack Obama in Hello Kitty regalia for about one year: flags, banners, you name it. Most recently, I did an Obamaman cartoon that depicts our lame superhero president wearing a Hello Kitty logo on his chest.

Now a sharp-eyed FOR points out that an illustrator for the Financial Times has rather brazenly ripped off my meme.

Usually, these things are less than cut and dry. But it’s pretty hard to believe that any illustrator could be unaware of my use of the Hello Kitty imagery to define Obama–it ain’t as branded as Generalissimo El Busho yet, but come on. This one fails the smell test.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Crocodiles Climbing Trees is tinsley's cicada

Nah, that's a level of obsession reserved for Ramirez and debt, or Day and guns, or Rall and Rall.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

How could they rip off his meme, everyone knows that the definition of a meme is something only one person does. Now look at these shameless plagiarists, stealing from Ted Rall:

As a FOR this makes me sick.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I forgot to mention it was an illustrator for the Financial Times of Australia. Ted Rall seriously believes people all over the world keep up with his stupid poo poo on at the very least a yearly basis.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Vogon Poet posted:

My wife, who doesn't know who Ted Rall is..."

Your wife lied to you. Every woman alive during Ted Rall's lifetime, young and old, has hosed him. I'd judge, but I'm as guilty of it as anyone.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Tom Guycot posted:

Your wife lied to you. Every woman alive during Ted Rall's lifetime, young and old, has hosed him. I'd judge, but I'm as guilty of it as anyone.

Only women though. No dudes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Wizard of Oz posted:

How could they rip off his meme, everyone knows that the definition of a meme is something only one person does. Now look at these shameless plagiarists, stealing from Ted Rall:

As a FOR this makes me sick.

Because of the conversation, I read that one circle as FRIENDSHIP FOR RALL.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Oh god that Putin face is like something from The Wall!!!!

:stonk:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I am me as I am me as I am me
And I am always better
See how I draw like gold from a straw see how I try
I'm lying

Sitting in the bedroom waiting for the chicks to come
Smarter than an Ebert, stupid Daily Kos page
Prez you been a naughty boy. You let your drones grow strong
I am the Begman, I am the Begmen
I am the Rallrus, poo-poo poo doo

Panels lovely dialog making GBS threads, pretty little dialog in a row
See how I bawl like Hitler in Downfall, my fans are dumb
I'm lying, I'm lyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyying

Bloody matter custard dripping from a smart stud's wart
Hello Kitty playwright typographic chieftain
Boy you been a naughty girl, I drew your knockers down

Sitting in a weekly paper waiting for the sum
If the sum don't come
You get a ban from printing in the weekly rag
I am the Rallrus
poo-poo poo doo poo-poo poo pee doo

Tillman kill men joking mopers
Don't you see my Roker laugh at you?
See all it pile like bricks on a Bri, see all my pride
I'm lying

Similar to Groening drawing like a super power
Luminary penman slinging fairy wisdom
Man you should have seen me kicking Hellman n' the Art
I am the Rallrus
poopy poopy poopy poopy poopy
poopy doo doo
poopy doo doo

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Rorus Raz posted:

Rall is the Walrus

Wonderful as this is, I think you need a break from the politoons thread, friend.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

achillesforever6 posted:

Who's the other supposed to be? Is it Brezhnev or just a completely indistinguishable Russian stereotype?

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Vogon Poet posted:

Rall's style does reminder me of outsider art - it feels like he concentrates on drawing all the faces, and then just fills in the rest of frame later as an afterthought. I don't think that he plans any of the composition. I know he's said that this is part of his 'the world is grotesque, so is my art' style, but it lead to all the weird perspective and body shape problems. They all feel like first drafts of blocking for other cartoons.

Has he done any 'How to draw like Ted Rall' or 'This is how I draw a panel' videos. They'd be fascinating in a rubber-necking kind of way.

Speaking of outsider art - The World Today is Just Nuts feels like a weird Rorschach test in group-think where a bizarre scribble is interpreted by this thread and I feel like I'm saying 'Oh, yeah - if all the cool kids see Rachel Maddow, I do too' before the same image gets posted and everyone agrees that it's John Kerry or Vladimir Putin. :tinfoil:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Doubtful Guest posted:

Rall's style does reminder me of outsider art - it feels like he concentrates on drawing all the faces, and then just fills in the rest of frame later as an afterthought. I don't think that he plans any of the composition. I know he's said that this is part of his 'the world is grotesque, so is my art' style, but it lead to all the weird perspective and body shape problems. They all feel like first drafts of blocking for other cartoons.

Has he done any 'How to draw like Ted Rall' or 'This is how I draw a panel' videos. They'd be fascinating in a rubber-necking kind of way.

Speaking of outsider art - The World Today is Just Nuts feels like a weird Rorschach test in group-think where a bizarre scribble is interpreted by this thread and I feel like I'm saying 'Oh, yeah - if all the cool kids see Rachel Maddow, I do too' before the same image gets posted and everyone agrees that it's John Kerry or Vladimir Putin. :tinfoil:

I saw Rall drawing comics at SDCC. From what I remember, he doesn't pencil them at all, going straight to ink.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Rorus Raz posted:

And I am always better
I'm lying

If the sum don't come
I am the Rallrus

I'm lying

I am the Rallrus
poopy doo doo
poopy doo doo

This is great. I'm surprised at how well it scans.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Mister Beeg posted:

I saw Rall drawing comics at SDCC. From what I remember, he doesn't pencil them at all, going straight to ink.

Rall does not make mistakes. :smug:

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

The woodcut of Super-Obama with a Hello Kitty underneath led me to an amazing early political cartoon:

Death is my role model. Are they going into battle? He doesn't care. He threw on a curtain and he's riding a backwards-facing pitchfork into the time of his life. Anyway, the most obvious politics is that you sucked, you stupid priest/bishop/pope, and in 1500 Jesus will be back and pissed and your head will be eaten by a lion! Power to the people!

Albrecht Dürer's Apocalypse series is amazing altogether, with some more obvious political commentary going on and a hell of a lot I can't pick up on because I don't know much about the times or symbolism or the rise of Protestantism or art or Revelation. The best source for images seems to be Wikimedia Commons, but it's all a disorganised mess:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Albrecht_D%C3%BCrer_woodcut_series_-_Apocalypse

The Wizard of Oz fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 16, 2014

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

achillesforever6 posted:

Rogers draws such ugly people, it's incredible. Like, actually dictionary-definition, I cannot believe he drew that Putin... but I sure am glad he did.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Rogers draws such ugly people, it's incredible. Like, actually dictionary-definition, I cannot believe he drew that Putin... but I sure am glad he did.

I would rather see that than a Ramirez Putin.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I thought that was Zoidberg without his shell.

edit: For comparison

the_steve fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 16, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

People on the opposite side of the political spectrum from him are running an internet publication business and are being vastly more successful at it than he. It is sour grapes.

Super Saiyan Mr. T
Nov 7, 2009

I pity the FOOOOOOOOL!

Rorus Raz posted:

And I am always better
I'm lying

If the sum don't come
I am the Rallrus

I'm lying

I am the Rallrus
poopy doo doo
poopy doo doo

This is amazing in every way.

Mister Beeg posted:

So he draws like I did when I was 8, before I learned the concept of "pencil stuff first then ink so you can correct mistakes". I'm not surprised in the slightest by this information.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Mike Luckovich is another cartoonist who doesn't pencil, going straight to inks. Whenever he makes a mistake, he throws the paper away and start over.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mister Beeg posted:

Mike Luckovich is another cartoonist who doesn't pencil, going straight to inks. Whenever he makes a mistake, he throws the paper away and start over.

Well, that's a bit wasteful and time consuming but he has a step where he admits he made a mistake soooo :v:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

I love Carlos Latuff.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

KoldPT posted:

I love Carlos Latuff.

Why is the misogynist? being portrayed as a chicken leg?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

fool_of_sound posted:

Why is the misogynist? being portrayed as a chicken leg?

The Portugese word for it can apparently be used as a colloquialism for "white trash" or "unpolitical dude with too moderate opinions". At least that's what I remember from the last time it came up.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
We've done this many times in this thread alone. It's a snack food that's name is also a nickname for ignorant middle-class status-quo loving shmoes.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
If I didn't know that, I would've thought it was a turkey. v:shobon:v

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

MisterBadIdea posted:

Recently, someone explored the archives of The World Today Just Nuts, and revealed that its creator is a hardcore feminist (if that's even the right word. "Female chauvinist" maybe?) who opposes Barack solely out of loyalty to Hillary, and also liked Palin a lot.

I feel that that bit of info doesn't really jibe with this most recent cartoon.

I haven't seen a single one that jibes with that bit of info, unless there's been some pro-Hillary ones that I haven't seen.

Did anyone else have to see a whole bunch of them of before accepting that the name of the cartoon is, in fact, "The World Today Just Nuts" and the cartoonist wasn't accidentally leaving out the "is," or was that just me?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

It's not that Rall doesn't know, it's that Rall's too cool to know.

This is it exactly. Knowing what a gun looks like is a betrayal.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Jesus Christ, it all makes sense now. He doesn't believe he should be a significant figure, he believes he already is, like he achieved mainstream success and is a major figure in cartooning. A loving household name like Walt Disney. His Generalissimo Bush thing is up there with chimp-like face in Bush memes.

His reaction to his kickstarter not getting funded makes more sense too; he thinks his millions and millions of fans just scratched their stupid monkey butts instead of flinging money at him. Of course he is popular enough to achieve his goals - he's Ted Rall! He isn't "why haven't they discovered me" but "they already know about me but won't start my revolution??" Any lack of recognition for his work is due to malicious intent.

It's one thing to have such an ego you believe you should be the next hot thing in cartoons when you cannot depict a man sitting on a toilet, it's another thing to believe you already are the hottest thing and the man sitting on the toilet is viewed by millions around the world.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
And it's his meme. He owns it. No one else can spread his meme.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
You know, I still get emails from Daily KOS, and it occurs to me that Animal Nuz, terrible as it is, is a pretty good fit for how blindly cheerleading that website is.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Small Frozen Thing posted:

We've done this many times in this thread alone. It's a snack food that's name is also a nickname for ignorant middle-class status-quo loving shmoes.

I didn't know that. :shrug:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Jesus Christ, it all makes sense now. He doesn't believe he should be a significant figure, he believes he already is, like he achieved mainstream success and is a major figure in cartooning. A loving household name like Walt Disney. His Generalissimo Bush thing is up there with chimp-like face in Bush memes.

His reaction to his kickstarter not getting funded makes more sense too; he thinks his millions and millions of fans just scratched their stupid monkey butts instead of flinging money at him. Of course he is popular enough to achieve his goals - he's Ted Rall! He isn't "why haven't they discovered me" but "they already know about me but won't start my revolution??" Any lack of recognition for his work is due to malicious intent.

It's one thing to have such an ego you believe you should be the next hot thing in cartoons when you cannot depict a man sitting on a toilet, it's another thing to believe you already are the hottest thing and the man sitting on the toilet is viewed by millions around the world.

I hadn't considered it like this, and this interpretation really explains a lot. His complaints about being systematically censored from newspapers (he thinks they are all well aware of his past, instead of just oblivious to him and think his cartoons are made by a 12 year old), his complaints about censorship from Daily Kos ("I've been drawing Obama like that for years, so why all of a sudden are they crying racist? It's because I criticized his NSA policy!" when really it's because people never saw his poo poo before), his ludicrous eBay dates he used to auction off (starting price $2000 if you live in another country, no interaction guaranteed).

It all makes sense if he thinks that he's world (in)famous instead of struggling to break through the mainstream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Speaking of ted...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AB8tQKvtto

• Locked thread