Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

quote:

jobber talk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVJo2z3C_1Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Barry Horowitz was such a good jobber that they gave him his own baseball card.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I seriously think Heath Slater is the best jobber working today. The best thing that ever happened to the dude was WWE giving up on the Slater/Gabriel tag team and having him lose a bunch of matches and I mean that in a positive way. I don't even think of the word "jobber" as a derogatory term when talking about him because they are needed and he's perfect.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Having him be the guy to primarily work with Bret Hart in-ring was about as high an endorsement you can get, given one wrong move could have basically killed or paralyzed Bret for life.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Minidust posted:

Is there any reason why the Ax Kick seems to be the Universal Black Person Finisher in WWE? Booker T, R-Truth, Alicia Fox... even Ahmed Johnson did it, though not as a finisher.

Meh that's only four people over twenty years. Maybe it's because they're leggy and athletic, maybe Truth/Fox do it as a tribute to Booker T.

It's not as black as rap entrance themes or never winning the Raw world title.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Jerusalem posted:

Having him be the guy to primarily work with Bret Hart in-ring was about as high an endorsement you can get, given one wrong move could have basically killed or paralyzed Bret for life.

And if I'm Heath Slater, I'm probably marking out inside nonstop for the entire time I'm working with Bret Hart.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The best jobbers are the guys with gimmicks so lame you relish watching them lose, and vividly remember matches they won. Brooklyn Brawler is forever king of the jobbers and his win over Triple H is the best.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
I saw Heath Slater vs. Zack Ryder at a house show and Slater got NUCLEAR heat. It was insane. He easily got the most heat that night.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

The best jobbers are the guys with gimmicks so lame you relish watching them lose, and vividly remember matches they won. Brooklyn Brawler is forever king of the jobbers and his win over Triple H is the best.

Ric Flair is the best jobber because he got paid a bunch of money to lose to Hulk Hogan for 20 years and Hulk Hogan is the best.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

projecthalaxy posted:

Dolph Ziggler is the greatest jobber or in this case I would prefer "enhancement talent" of this generation. Makes everyone look like a billion bucks.

Dolph Ziggler is going to literally murder himself one day over-selling something. Heath Slater is far safer to himself, and has the perfect amount of southern slimeball to make people want to see him get beaten up regularly. When you talk about how safe someone is or isn't, it has to go both ways.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Ziggler sometimes pulls me out of his matches by overselling. Like, I get it dude, you can sell but I don't need to see you do a flippy-do for every little clothesline.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gillberg is the best jobber because he got a multi-year gimmick out of having a 3 minute intro and then a 2 minute match.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
Justin Godscock's avatar reminded me of a question I've being meaning to ask. How well recieved was Vince being the Higher Power to you goons watching at the time? Was it pretty obvious it was going to be Vince or was there a lot of swerves between that and the reveal? I know the Jake idea was thrown around at the time but were there other candidates?

The Cosby Mysteries fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 22, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The other big candidate was The Jackyl, because he was always put over as a cult leader.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Personally I was annoyed because I liked the idea of Vince losing everything but becoming a better person/being in the "trenches" with his workers etc, and having him revealed as the big bad guy AGAIN just felt like,"Oh, it's THIS again."

That said, I really dug the sheer size of the Corporate Ministry, I'm pretty sure it encompassed 99% of the WWF roster at one point.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

All of the other ideas being floated around at the time (Ted Dibiase/Jake Roberts/The Jackyl/Brian Pillman having faked his death, you smart marks) were so much better.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
The idea I heard was that they offered the role to Mick Foley, who turned it down. I'd have loved one last big time heel run for Foley, but he supposedly was uncomfortable with the religious implications of the angle and turned it down.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Even though Vince wasn't the best choice for the Higher Power role, he sold the gently caress out of that reveal. He looked like the devil himself as he went "IT'S ME AUSTIN!" with the most evil looking grin on his face. You could tell he was having a blast.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Justin Godscock's avatar reminded me of a question I've being meaning to ask. How well recieved was Vince being the Higher Power to you goons watching at the time? Was it pretty obvious it was going to be Vince or was there a lot of swerves between that and the reveal? I know the Jake idea was thrown around at the time but were there other candidates?

The weirdest thing about the reveal was that the week before on Raw, the Higher Power briefly showed his face to a beaten-down Austin (and I think Austin actually mouthed "Vince, you son of a bitch"). Then, next week, Vince revealed himself to Austin ... despite already revealing himself to Austin. Even 15-year-old me had to say, "Uh, didn't Austin already know it was you?"

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Having Vince be the higher power was an unfortunate necessity. They had built it up to the point that the idea was greater than the actual person.

Remember, the higher power was someone that had created this power stable of unconnected heels for the purpose of destroying Austin. This higher power was someone that the Undertaker answered to, so clearly it was someone that was either physically or psychologically imposing. Had it been a wrestler, it would have had to have been basically Flair or Hogan (1999 versions) to be believable if the higher power was going to wrestle. And a non wrestler that wasn't already introduced as a major player would have flopped.

So it kinda sucked that the whole story line ended up making zero sense but they made the most of it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DeathChicken posted:

All of the other ideas being floated around at the time (Ted Dibiase/Jake Roberts/The Jackyl/Brian Pillman having faked his death, you smart marks) were so much better.

Yeah, I was holding out the unrealistic hope that it was Ted or Jake.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

All of that poo poo was only the problem it became because Vince Russo is a bad writer and had no idea where it was going when he started it

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TL posted:

One combination that never really clicked was Shawn Michaels and Curt Hennig. The hype for their match at SummerSlam 93 was "This will be the match of the year" and it was just ok.

Also Michaels vs. Tito Santana at WM8. I think in Michaels' book, he mentioned how surprised and disappointed he was that they had no chemistry.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

oatgan posted:

All of that poo poo was only the problem it became because Vince Russo is a bad writer and had no idea where it was going when he started it

The Undertaker's Hower Power is no match for oatgan's glower power!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

birdlaw posted:

The Undertaker's Hower Power is no match for oatgan's glower power!

I never thought I'd get to use this again after I sent it to AEPodcast when they talked about the Hower Power slip-up.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

oatgan posted:

It's not like it was the first time it's been done. See the Survivor Series egg and the Black Scorpion.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

It's not like it was the first time it's been done. See the Survivor Series egg and the Black Scorpion.

Wasn't the Gobbledy Gooker always the plan with the egg, though? That was just a bad idea to begin with, I thought. They seriously thought people were going to go nuts for the Gooker.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

What is Bard Maddox's avatar from? It looks like Dean Ambrose and a midget.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Defiance Industries posted:

What is Bard Maddox's avatar from? It looks like Dean Ambrose and a midget.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

This is still my favorite picture of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34tkresuPx8

Bard Maddox fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 22, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Wasn't the Gobbledy Gooker always the plan with the egg, though? That was just a bad idea to begin with, I thought. They seriously thought people were going to go nuts for the Gooker.

They thought it would be big for the kids, like a mascot. They hired a big name independent guy at the time, Hector Guerrero, to be in the suit, it wasn't a random jobber. Vince seriously thought he would be the next big thing.

And some guy known as Kane the Undertaker debuted at that show too.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Ambrose still looks like he wants to eat the back of Fakebrose's head.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Shima Honnou posted:

Ambrose still looks like he wants to eat the back of Fakebrose's head.

My favourite part is Seth's :haw: expression.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

At the time Eric Bischoff would give off Raw spoilers on Nitro. I remember him saying something like "oh, and the higher power on Raw? It's just Mick someone."

I took that to be either Mick Foley or one of the McMahons. It made me wonder if it could possibly be Linda or Shane.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

They thought it would be big for the kids, like a mascot. They hired a big name independent guy at the time, Hector Guerrero, to be in the suit, it wasn't a random jobber. Vince seriously thought he would be the next big thing.

And some guy known as Kane the Undertaker debuted at that show too.

Foley shared the idea that it might have originally been planned for Undertaker, but they changed their mind once they saw his potential.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

VogeGandire posted:

I never thought I'd get to use this again after I sent it to AEPodcast when they talked about the Hower Power slip-up.

I've... seen things, you people wouldn't believe.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Grey posted:

At the time Eric Bischoff would give off Raw spoilers on Nitro. I remember him saying something like "oh, and the higher power on Raw? It's just Mick someone."

I took that to be either Mick Foley or one of the McMahons. It made me wonder if it could possibly be Linda or Shane.
No, he got it right. As I remember, it was "Oh, and the guy in the hood? His initials are VM."

Weird way of saying it.

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

No, he got it right. As I remember, it was "Oh, and the guy in the hood? His initials are VM."

Weird way of saying it.

plus I don't believe it was a spoiler, it was just a guess Bischoff made that turned out to be accurate

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

LividLiquid posted:

Weird way of saying it.

Vincent Moneybags!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WadeBartender posted:

plus I don't believe it was a spoiler, it was just a guess Bischoff made that turned out to be accurate

It was a guess but he did present it as a spoiler (and he was relieved when it turned out to be right.)