Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Anyone else experiencing really slow downloads from the eShop right now? My friends are redownloading some of there games and they are taking forever, and Code of Princess for me is taking a bit of time as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm out of the loop but is the 3DS ever going to get GBA emulation? I still have the cart and a working GBASP but I'd love to play Aria of Sorrow again, it's probably my favorite Castlevania title.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

C-Euro posted:

I'm out of the loop but is the 3DS ever going to get GBA emulation? I still have the cart and a working GBASP but I'd love to play Aria of Sorrow again, it's probably my favorite Castlevania title.

While the 3DS isn't looking to get a GBA emulator soon, The WiiU is getting one and Aria of Sorrow is one of the first titles coming out for it. A shame they can't get the GBA emulator improved, since it would be nice to get a updated version of the Ambassador games I have, since while they play perfectly fine (played the entirely of Fire Emblem Sacred Stones on the 3DS), the lack of save states and even suspend wasn't so fun.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Rirse posted:

While the 3DS isn't looking to get a GBA emulator soon, The WiiU is getting one and Aria of Sorrow is one of the first titles coming out for it.
What? Where's your source on this?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Aria of Sorrow is coming? Oh yeah!

How's GP Legend compared to Maximum Velocity?

RMZXAnarchy posted:

What? Where's your source on this?
The Australian Ratings Board.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Kurtofan posted:

The Australian Ratings Board.

Oh right, they tend to reveal that stuff.

Doesn't indicate it'll be coming to the US anytime soon though.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Villains have taken over the eShop!
Cute promo, but I hope some sales come of this. Or is Liquidator running the show?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Gotta give them credit for having the Doctor from Cave Story be the image for Indie Games.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Downloaded EO:U on a whim and enjoying it far more than the EOIV demo I played because of story mode. Still managed to walk into an F.O.E. and get my rear end handed to me pretty much right away, but it was a much better experience than being thrown into a completely blank slate. "Here! Create five characters and make sure to assign them complimentary roles despite having no idea what each role exactly does! Oh, and if you choose poorly and die you have to start again from the beginning of the dungeon floor motherfucker!".

I'm just not that into videogame sadism. Which I guess is why they made EO:U.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Space Fish posted:

Villains have taken over the eShop!
Cute promo, but I hope some sales come of this. Or is Liquidator running the show?

Looking through the top row of icons in the 3DS eShop:

Bowser, Ganondorf, Wario, Dr. Wily, Ridley, Ubisoft

I snickered.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

lelandjs posted:

Downloaded EO:U on a whim and enjoying it far more than the EOIV demo I played because of story mode. Still managed to walk into an F.O.E. and get my rear end handed to me pretty much right away, but it was a much better experience than being thrown into a completely blank slate. "Here! Create five characters and make sure to assign them complimentary roles despite having no idea what each role exactly does! Oh, and if you choose poorly and die you have to start again from the beginning of the dungeon floor motherfucker!".

As someone who feels the exact same way I can confirm that you'll continue to enjoy it the rest of the way. EO:U was an absolute blast and really made me wish the other games had a story mode.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

lelandjs posted:

But the games always have five classes that translate into the standard vanilla RPG party. :confused:

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Justin_Brett posted:

But the games always have five classes that translate into the standard vanilla RPG party. :confused:

And you can make up to thirty characters, even multiples of the same class. Why wouldn't you just make one of everything and try it all out?

Classic Etrian Odyssey, best Etrian Odyssey.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Sarchasm posted:

And you can make up to thirty characters, even multiples of the same class. Why wouldn't you just make one of everything and try it all out?

Classic Etrian Odyssey, best Etrian Odyssey.

EO3's passive-xp skill was great for this. I pretty much filled up my entire guild roster with everything I could think of when I found out it wasn't costing my "main" party any of their xp.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of April 3):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    EDGE - €1.99 / £1.79 (permanent price reduction)
    RUSH - €1.99 / £1.79 (permanent price reduction)
    Toki Tori - €1.99 / £1.79 (permanent price reduction)
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Advance Wars (GBA) - €6.99 / £6.29
    Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA) - €6.99 / £6.29
    Metroid Fusion (GBA) - €6.99 / £6.29
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mario Kart 8/Super Mario Kart digital promotion - buy Super Mario Kart on the VC, get a €7.99 / £5.49 discount on Mario Kart 8! Starts May 30, ends June 30.
    F1 Race Stars: Powered Up Edition - €12.49 / £9.99 until April 3
    Nano Assault Neo - €7.49 / £6.70 until April 10

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Super Monkey Ball 3D - €19.99 / £14.99
3DS eSHOP
    Bubble Pop World - €4.99 / £4.49
    EDGE - €1.99 / £1.79 (permanent price reduction)
    Monster Shooter - €4.00 / £3.20 (permanent price reduction)
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mutant Mudds (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until April 3
    Nano Assault EX (3DS eShop) - €7.49 / £6.35 until April 10
    Art of Balance TOUCH! (3DS eShop) - €5.20 / £4.70 until April 10
    Jett Rockett 2: Wrath of Taikai (3DS eShop) - €6.70 / £5.70 until April 10
    Angry Bunnies (3DS eShop) - €4.85 / £4.49 from until April 17
    Fishdom H20: Hidden Odyssey (3DS eShop) - €3.74 / £3.35 until April 17
    Snow Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until April 17
    Real Heroes: Firefighters 3D (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until April 17

All three of those GBA games are absolutely worth owning, and the three price-reduced games are worth owning, too.

I can't remember what's specifically wrong with Super Monkey Ball 3D, I assume it's just too easy, like every other recent Monkey Ball game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Never played Mario and Luigi so gonna grab that for sure, hopefully will be able to get Advance Wars since my copy is one I was given by a friend who didn't like it so I've never actually bought it before.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

The later missions in Advance Wars can suck, but it feels so good once you beat them. Highly recommended.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
I hope that Mario Kart Promotion runs stateside as well, that's actually pretty cool. I might as well download MK8 anyway!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I can't remember, but did Advance Wars have a skirmish mode or was that only in later games?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I hope Superstar Saga can be played with two controllers ala playing it on the GC with a Game Boy Player. Still the best co-op experience I have ever played.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I hope Superstar Saga can be played with two controllers ala playing it on the GC with a Game Boy Player. Still the best co-op experience I have ever played.

If you have a Wii U Pro Controller, at least on the other VC games on Wii U, you can set the pro controller to be for player one as well as the GamePad. I've done this to play a game of Super Mario World with my cousin where he jumps and I run around.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

I can't remember, but did Advance Wars have a skirmish mode or was that only in later games?

Its got it and the war room challenges too. Even supports pass-around coop for the skirmishes; i got so much play out of those games while in high school.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Remember those Mega Man VC games Capcom was promising for 3DS last year? Well, they're finally coming out next month, starting May 1. Capcom-Unity is running a poll to let people pick the game they want first, and the rest will be released in the following weeks.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2014/03/31/mega-may-on-3ds-vote-for-your-favorite-handheld-title-and-it-may-release-first

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Maybe I'm misremembering, but aren't the Game Boy Megaman games terrible?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Pope Guilty posted:

Rockman World 4 and 5 and X-Treme 2 are Hella ExcellentTM games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Pope Guilty posted:

They started off terribly but the last couple are pretty okay. MMV is particular is a fully original game, unlike the others which are mashups of the console games, and it's also quite rare, so a lot of people are hanging out for that one.

The Xtreme games are impressive inasmuch as they manage to more-or-less capture the MMX feel on GBC, but I'm not sure I'd call them good.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

Only II is terrible. The other ones range from decent to excellent.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Stink Terios posted:

Only II is terrible. The other ones range from decent to excellent.

Why was Megaman 2 terrible? I think I had Megaman 1-3 for the GameBoy as a kid and I remember liking all of them.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Sarchasm posted:

Why was Megaman 2 terrible? I think I had Megaman 1-3 for the GameBoy as a kid and I remember liking all of them.

As I recall the biggest thing is that the music in that game is horrible compared to the rest of the series.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Capcom outsourced the development of all 5 games, but 2 was done by a different studio. After the release of 2, Inafking insisted that the studio that worked on 1 do all future games, stating that they "got" Mega Man.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

YourAverageJoe posted:

Capcom outsourced the development of all 5 games, but 2 was done by a different studio. After the release of 2, Inafking insisted that the studio that worked on 1 do all future games, stating that they "got" Mega Man.

Huh. I was probably too young to tell much difference. Makes me want to dig out my old cartridges and check them out again.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Sarchasm posted:

Screen too small, Megaman too big. That goes for all of them though, imho.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Cross posting from the Wii U thread; planning to get castlestorm what are your thoughts?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Remember those Mega Man VC games Capcom was promising for 3DS last year? Well, they're finally coming out next month, starting May 1. Capcom-Unity is running a poll to let people pick the game they want first, and the rest will be released in the following weeks.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2014/03/31/mega-may-on-3ds-vote-for-your-favorite-handheld-title-and-it-may-release-first

Games cancelled because not enough people voted, there must not be a fanbase.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Thanks for reminding me about Megaman Legends 3, jerk

Edit: MMV is really good. I liked how if you sucked and died over and over they gave you pity upgrades.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 1, 2014

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

greatn posted:

Games cancelled because not enough people voted, there must not be a fanbase.

Quick make a Facebook campaign about it, I'm sure you'll eventually get 100,000 likes in 12 months or so

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

numerrik posted:

Cross posting from the Wii U thread; planning to get castlestorm what are your thoughts?

I bought it and ehh, it's ok I guess. There's kind of a lot going on as you have to summon troops to attack your opponents troops, occasionally control a hero character and also attack your opponents castle. There's a ton of upgrades between those three methods of attack. The game gradually eases you into all of that, but eventually I got frustrated/stressed by the difficulty of the later levels. If I remember correctly they kind of dropped the ball with the gamepad usage, could have been a lot more in depth.

Isn't it like $10-15 on the Wii U? Who knows if it would ever go on sale, but I'd feel a lot better about the purchase if it was $5-8 dollars.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 1, 2014

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I paid ~$7 for the castlestorm complete edition in a recent psn sale. "ehhh ok I guess" is a pretty accurate description from my perspective.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
My only wish is for the battle network games to show up on VC. I adore them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Babby Sathanas posted:

My only wish is for the battle network games to show up on VC. I adore them.

But would you really want to play those games on a WiiU?