Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Has any notable fed (primary, indie or otherwise) ever had serious intergender tag teams? Like a tag team composed of a man and a woman, competing in the standard tag division. Are there any incidences of tag titles being held by a man and a woman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Castomira posted:

Has any notable fed (primary, indie or otherwise) ever had serious intergender tag teams? Like a tag team composed of a man and a woman, competing in the standard tag division. Are there any incidences of tag titles being held by a man and a woman?

CHIKARA presents the women as being on the same level of competition as the men in a non-embarrassing way if that's what you're looking for. Or at least they used to. Most of the women they used to book aren't around anymore so I hope you like Saturyne

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Hole Wolf posted:

I don't really see them being strapped for talent in the near future though.
The timing has not worked out for him, but he had a point when the podcast was recorded in May 2012.

Castomira posted:

In Chikara, Sara Del Rey won the 2011 Cibernetico as the sole survivor of an 8 on 8 elimination tag. Manami Toyota teamed with Quack for a few tournaments.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

oatgan posted:

CHIKARA presents the women as being on the same level of competition as the men in a non-embarrassing way if that's what you're looking for. Or at least they used to. Most of the women they used to book aren't around anymore so I hope you like Saturyne

Yeah, none ever won singles or tag belts but Sara Del Rey beat people like Claudio and El Generico clean and it was considered a big upset when she lost to lower card male wrestlers like Kobald.

I don't even think Saturyne's around anymore from the last time I read the CHIKARA thread, perhaps due to the rumors about her and Quack since apparently he's still married despite the other rumor that was circulating.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The timing has not worked out for him, but he had a point when the podcast was recorded in May 2012.

They might not need him, but being away for a couple years would make him seem fresh again at least. I didn't give a gently caress when he left but I wouldn't mind seeing him get another run.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 30, 2014

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Intergender matches seem to be getting more popular on the indies. Besides Chikara I know Anarchy Championship Wrestling book their men and women together and women have routinely held the main titles or one half of the tag titles. A quick look at their tag title history shows Angel Blue holding it with some guys in a Freebird thing and a Rachel Summerlyn holding the belt twice, once with a guy and once with Jessica James. I know there are other promotions booking a lot of Intergender stuff. Joey Ryan and Candice LeRea regularly compete as a team and I saw some ad for a Michael Elgin vs Seleziya Sparx match.

Eric Young also held one half of the TNA Knockouts Tag belts for like a year but TNA didn't care and he only wrestled a couple of matches.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Grant DaNasty posted:

I recently heard that Warrior was originally chosen for the Big Van Vader character before he backed out and it was given to Leon White. So now I'm curious to what the origin of the Big Van Vader character is supposed to be. All Wikipedia says is "His new identity was based on a strong warrior of the same name from Japanese folklore." Does anyone have any more information about this folklore character? I would love to know if he resembled Vader's helmet.

There's no such character in Japanese folklore. The Big Van Vader character was created by manga author Go Nagai (Mazinger Z, Cutie Honey, Devilman) for NJPW and it's main heel group, Takeshi Puroresu Gundan (TPG). TPG was lead by Takeshi Kitano, one of the most famous comedians in Japan and Vader was their main enforcer.

Vaders debut is legendary as he had a match wih Inoki which led to Inoki losing. The fans rioted and caused damage to the recently-opened Ryogoku Kokugikan arena. Japan Sumo Association responded by banning the promotion out of fear that the fans would continue rioting. The ban was lifted in 1989.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The problem with this is that not every crowd does it. It's died down a lot in the last 5-6 years. This is "What?"'s finest moment, though (other than Taker fooling the crowd into admitting to banging their sisters):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3kqfuGHbeI

I uploaded that!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

magnum_valentino posted:

I uploaded that!

What?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Jake Soo posted:

There's no such character in Japanese folklore. The Big Van Vader character was created by manga author Go Nagai (Mazinger Z, Cutie Honey, Devilman) for NJPW and it's main heel group, Takeshi Puroresu Gundan (TPG). TPG was lead by Takeshi Kitano, one of the most famous comedians in Japan and Vader was their main enforcer.

Vaders debut is legendary as he had a match wih Inoki which led to Inoki losing. The fans rioted and caused damage to the recently-opened Ryogoku Kokugikan arena. Japan Sumo Association responded by banning the promotion out of fear that the fans would continue rioting. The ban was lifted in 1989.

Ah, there we go, thanks. I think I was thinking of a video game character named "Big Bomberder"

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

HE SAID HE UPLOADED THAT

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

IronCladBurrito posted:

HE SAID HE UPLOADED THAT

I will crush your car.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

LvK posted:

I will crush your car.

What?

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

He'll compact your vehicle.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Jake Soo posted:

Thanks! Now I've got to find footage of this match.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Why didn't ~Das Wunderkind~ Alex Wright sign with WWE after WCW imploded? He was what, 25 and a second generation European wrestler?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Why didn't ~Das Wunderkind~ Alex Wright sign with WWE after WCW imploded? He was what, 25 and a second generation European wrestler?

because they had no interest in him

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

AkumaHokoru posted:

because they had no interest in him

I read somewhere that they did and he turned them down for whatever reason but I don't remember the specifics or where I read it. :confuoot:

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
What are some of Batista and orton's highest rated matches? Have either of them ever had a 5 star match?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LightsGameraAction posted:

Have either of them ever had a 5 star match?

Meltzer has only given like five or six WWF/E matches five stars, and the most recent was Punk / Cena at Money in the Bank 2011 (before that it was Michaels / Undertaker at Badd Blood), so no.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
http://theditch.us/riot.html

Here's the whole story of the night vader debuted -- not only did the Vader win cause riots, but the whole TPG angle caused huge repercussions for Japanese pro-wrestling.

Choshu vs Inoki was the largest match in Japan at that point (apart from some , since Choshu left NJPW in 1984 and jumped to AJPW. That made a rising star burst into a huge name in the Japanese scene, so having the main face of Japanese Pro-Wrestling go against a returning defector was a dream match.

Grant DaNasty posted:

Thanks! Now I've got to find footage of this match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFiq7G2xVks -- The initial promo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcO528X0cYs -- Saito & Choshu vs Kimura & Fujinami.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmxR8cxLvXs -- Inoki vs Choshu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlCPeg1WVkg -- Inoki vs Vader.

Edit: Oh yeah, the commentators refer to Vader as "shinryakusha" that means "Invader" in Japanese.

Asteroid Alert fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 30, 2014

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Timby posted:

Meltzer has only given like five or six WWF/E matches five stars, and the most recent was Punk / Cena at Money in the Bank 2011 (before that it was Michaels / Undertaker at Badd Blood), so no.

That's what I thought. I was just curious what is considered the "best of the best" matches for either guy.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

What are some of Batista and orton's highest rated matches? Have either of them ever had a 5 star match?

Orton's highest is Money in The Bank 2013, with 4.5 stars.

Batista's highest is Vengeance 2005, with also 4.5 stars.

Abrasive Obelisk fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 30, 2014

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Batista
WM 23 against the Undertaker
Backlash 07 against Undertaker
Survivor Series 07 HIAC against Undertaker
Vengeance 05 HIAC against Triple H
Extreme Rules 2010 Last Man Standing against Cena
Whole bunch of awesome tag matches during Evolution

Orton
Backlash 04 against Foley
Vengeance 04 against Edge
Summerslam 04 against Benoit, and the rematch the next night on Raw was also great
4-way from Baclkash 07 agaainst Edge, Cena, and HBK, andI think he had a match against Edge the next night on Raw that was just as good?
Over the Limit 2011 vs. Christian
Daniel Bryan
whole bunch of awesome tag matches during Evolution

and honestly as much as people around here hate the matchup, Cena and Orton always have a good match

oatgan fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 30, 2014

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

oatgan posted:

and honestly as much as people around here hate the matchup, Cena and Orton always have a good match

Cena / Orton vs. :derp: THE ENTIRE RAW ROSTER :derp: was really solid, if only for the AARKO spot.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Jake Soo posted:

http://theditch.us/riot.html

Here's the whole story of the night vader debuted -- not only did the Vader win cause riots, but the whole TPG angle caused huge repercussions for Japanese pro-wrestling.

Choshu vs Inoki was the largest match in Japan at that point (apart from some , since Choshu left NJPW in 1984 and jumped to AJPW. That made a rising star burst into a huge name in the Japanese scene, so having the main face of Japanese Pro-Wrestling go against a returning defector was a dream match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFiq7G2xVks -- The initial promo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcO528X0cYs -- Saito & Choshu vs Kimura & Fujinami.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmxR8cxLvXs -- Inoki vs Choshu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlCPeg1WVkg -- Inoki vs Vader.

Edit: Oh yeah, the commentators refer to Vader as "shinryakusha" that means "Invader" in Japanese.

I've always wondered Beat Takeshi's involvement as the manager. Was he just allied with Choshu and that's his justification of being there?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Unless I am misremembering, PSP's initial reactions to Roman Reigns as the third man of the Shield were something akin to "green as goose poo poo" (paraphrasing). I don't know much about his time in FCW/NXT as Leakee, but if my memory of PSP's guarded reaction to him is correct, what was the moment (or series of moments) that turned around collective opinion on him? Was it him showing abilities people didn't think he had, or was it just being booked smartly?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Unless I am misremembering, PSP's initial reactions to Roman Reigns as the third man of the Shield were something akin to "green as goose poo poo" (paraphrasing). I don't know much about his time in FCW/NXT as Leakee, but if my memory of PSP's guarded reaction to him is correct, what was the moment (or series of moments) that turned around collective opinion on him? Was it him showing abilities people didn't think he had, or was it just being booked smartly?

Both. He's gotten a lot better in the ring by virtue of working long matches against good opponents for over a year, but right out of the gate he oozed charisma in a way he hadn't as Generic Babyface Guy in FCW. Spearing dudes through barriers and powerbombing jabronis every week helped, but it was strong booking like at Survivor Series that really got people hyped.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

oatgan posted:

Both. He's gotten a lot better in the ring by virtue of working long matches against good opponents for over a year, but right out of the gate he oozed charisma in a way he hadn't as Generic Babyface Guy in FCW. Spearing dudes through barriers and powerbombing jabronis every week helped, but it was strong booking like at Survivor Series that really got people hyped.

He was booked to his strengths and very well-protected in a three-man team that had two great workers from the get-go. For the longest time, Reigns was the big, quiet dude that would tag for a bit, do some damage, tag out and show up again to hit one devastating move and look handsome and cool and :allears: So he didn't do much, but he always looked awesome doing it. And since his teammates were indie darlings and he showed signs of improvement quite fast, Roman got both the good will and the time to develop into a solid wrestler in most people's minds.

But that's all bullshit, the true defining factor was that he changed his name from fuckin' LEAKEE.

EDIT: you know what's a really really annoying word to spell right if you're not a native English speaker? Strength. The more you know.

Dias fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 31, 2014

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
It shouldn't be overstated how awful Leakee used to be and how great Roman Reigns has become via some of the best booking protection in the last decade and his own legitimate improvement by working with some of the best wrestlers in the world.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I get the feeling the general impression was "oh cool Ambrose, and of course we know Rollins, but we hope to god this guy with a decent look doesn't gently caress it all up". And in fairness, he hasn't -- though the worry is obviously justified given WWE's recent history. They protected The Shield for well over half a year, Reigns was limited in what he did (simple stuff, spears, and triple power bombs for the most part), they got him over by spearing dudes through the wall numerous times, and it looks like a couple years of matches against other good wrestlers on the house show tour has given him a lot better in-ring skills. He's also not just a mute hulk on the mic anymore. Reigns is developing into a star, and while he's not there yet, he's one of the best stars that WWE has intentionally grown in a while.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Bard Maddox posted:

It shouldn't be overstated how awful Leakee used to be and how great Roman Reigns has become via some of the best booking protection in the last decade and his own legitimate improvement by working with some of the best wrestlers in the world.
He's not that far from having Goldberg or Ryback squashes, but those 5 minutes are surrounded by amazing 10 minute tag matches that allow him to take some damage. It's genius.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
It's also worth saying that they likely called off the Shield breakup due to 1) How much of a general face reaction they're getting and 2) That he's still not ready to go solo ringwork-wise. The longish match he had with Bray Wyatt a few weeks back was really rough.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I have no idea what was up with that match. Both of them were plodding, and they usually don't.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

DeathChicken posted:

I have no idea what was up with that match. Both of them were plodding, and they usually don't.

I think it's that they usually have other people, (an architect perhaps) kind of dictating the flow of the match. I'm not sure how much experience Reigns and Bray have calling matches. That could have been the issue.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
What's Joel Gertner doing nowadays?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Angular Landbury posted:

What's Joel Gertner doing nowadays?

Commentator for Extreme Rising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPRjTuzlvrM

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Going through all the old PPVs and Raws, I've figured out just about who is who when the agents/refs come to break wrestlers up. There is just one left who I don't know.

Who is the agent with the blonde hair like a henchman from Die Hard?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hockles posted:

Going through all the old PPVs and Raws, I've figured out just about who is who when the agents/refs come to break wrestlers up. There is just one left who I don't know.

Who is the agent with the blonde hair like a henchman from Die Hard?

Rene Goulet

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Bard Maddox posted:

That, plus I'm still utterly baffled that from the beginning up until now, WWE has done everything right with The Shield. Their booking is smart, their promo time is consistent, they're a constant threat, they never look weak (even when retreating), their storylines are interesting, their breakup tension was actually subtle and layered, and even their face turn is sensible and well booked.

I've been saying this for probably over a year now, but I swear they're being booked independently of the rest of the booking team, because I can't recall anyone ever being handled this competently since their debut. They've been probably my favorite thing about WWE since they showed up and are still my favorite thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

It reveals how hosed up WWE is for 95% of the roster. They know how to make a star and choose parity booking and yo-yo pushes.