Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

VikingSkull posted:

Ford has the Ecoboost, Ram has the Express, GM has......???

That's basically the reason.

e- as a Mopar homer and a Ram owner hahahahaha

They have the cut out step in the bumper, that's pretty useful.

Chrysler seems to be head and shoulders above everyone right now, not only can you get the big engine in the small truck, but also 8 speed trans, coil spring rear, Uconnect, air suspension, Ram box (that ironically GM invented but never pursued), best fuel economy, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

But chevy has best in-class v8 6 speed steel body fuel economy.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
With all this truck talk, does someone want to make a truck thread? I've been sorely tempted to buy a new truck lately and it seems like every manufactuer has about 20 different trims with a slew of options. I trust (somewhat) AI, and a thread where we could review/talk trucks (not bro trucks) would be great. Hell, even hatchbacks and wagons have their own threads! :mad:

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Throatwarbler posted:

In unrelated news, GM increases incentives on Silverado.

EDIT: Oh man the new Colorado and Canyon are just going to fly off the shelves when they arrive.

Its too bad the formatting wasnt carried over from that district manager. Im sure every other word was in size 100 font and in dark red. Thats HOW you WRITE when youre ignored by EVERYONE beneath you because YOURE A WINDBAG.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

A quarter ton truck capable of 300 fathoms.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

VikingSkull posted:

That's basically the reason.

e- as a Mopar homer and a Ram owner hahahahaha

The Duramax?

That said, I was looking at trucks for the semi-near future and I was looking at what was available. For $20k, you can get a used F150 Ecoboost or a double cab Silverado 2500HD with the turbodiesel.

I'll start pouring one out for GM right now because 2015 isn't going to be kind to them.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The new F150 is ugly as poo poo in person, so that might help them. Who are we kidding, it'll still sell like crazy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fknlo posted:

The new F150 is ugly as poo poo in person, so that might help them. Who are we kidding, it'll still sell like crazy.

But it's aluminum. Strip it, polish it, you won't even be able to see it!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Rolling Coal - the truck.

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2014/04/ram-hd-black-makes-atlanta-debut

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I fully expect to see two of those trucks in every driveway here in Calgary by about noon tomorrow.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Throatwarbler posted:

Rolling Coal - the truck.

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2014/04/ram-hd-black-makes-atlanta-debut

[mg]http://i.imgur.com/NjEdxrD.jpg[/timg]
Wow, was somebody really smart enough to make a matte painted truck?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

ilkhan posted:

It's not matte, it's just black. I think you can get a G55/G63 AMG with matte paint though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ilkhan posted:

no, it's gloss black, what's special is the grille and all the badges are blacked out.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Is it me or is the bed a darker shade than the rest?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Throatwarbler posted:

It's not matte, it's just black. I think you can get a G55/G63 AMG with matte paint though.
Pity.

I saw a matte green viper a while back. Looked mean.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Speaking of green snakes, 2014's stryker green looks loving sweet.

As for the car's sales, SRT needs to rush the roadster into production, as 2/3s of all vipers sold are topless.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

I'm in no way shape or form in the market for a vehicle of this tonnage, but I ain't gonna lie, that looks pretty good

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Does it only come in quad-cab? I'd like that in a single cab, full bed

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Hughmoris posted:

With all this truck talk, does someone want to make a truck thread? I've been sorely tempted to buy a new truck lately and it seems like every manufactuer has about 20 different trims with a slew of options. I trust (somewhat) AI, and a thread where we could review/talk trucks (not bro trucks) would be great. Hell, even hatchbacks and wagons have their own threads! :mad:

I've been writing a muscle truck thread in my spare time, maybe I'll finish it this weekend. It won't be a general truck thread, but really, who wants to discuss work trucks, and there's already a 4x4 thread.

Phone posted:

The Duramax?

That said, I was looking at trucks for the semi-near future and I was looking at what was available. For $20k, you can get a used F150 Ecoboost or a double cab Silverado 2500HD with the turbodiesel.

I'll start pouring one out for GM right now because 2015 isn't going to be kind to them.

The Duramax is a fine engine, unfortunately it's in a Silverado. If you need a diesel truck, again, Chrysler has you covered. You get a Cummins, and it's in a truck you'd actually like to drive and look at!

GM is loving retarded.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 4, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

VikingSkull posted:

It won't be a general truck thread, but really, who wants to discuss work trucks.

I've been kicking around the idea of starting a thread for discussing work vehicles, but haven't yet because I have no idea if there is any interest in such a thing.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
A catch all work vehicle thread might be cool, because really huge dump trucks and cranes and poo poo own.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

PCOS Bill posted:

Does it only come in quad-cab? I'd like that in a single cab, full bed

The package is available on the Ram 2500 and 3500 SRW, Crew Cab and Mega Cab, Big Horn/Lone Star and Laramie models with the choice of two- or four-wheel-drive.

I think the closest you could get is Crew with an 8 foot box.

edit: Can you get the 1500 Black Express in long bed?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 4, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Anyone starting a truck thread, please throw this in the op, tia

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
Ackerson was the worst person at the worst time for GM.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Akerson is not all that good but GM's cultural and organizational problems are way beyond the capabilities of a single CEO.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, I'm having a hard time thinking who at all recent would've been the 'right person at the right time' for GM.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Akerson is not all that good but GM's cultural and organizational problems are way beyond the capabilities of a single CEO.

While true, I feel this is no excuse for how insanely bad Akerson was. The only body more incompetent than Akerson is the GM Board of Directors itself, which is a clown show and has been for decades.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Yeah, I'm having a hard time thinking who at all recent would've been the 'right person at the right time' for GM.

Whitaker and Lutz did a very good job and honestly should have just been left in place. Politically this was impossible with the bankruptcy, of course, but the choices by the GM Board afterwards were just the dumbest.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

VikingSkull posted:

I've been writing a muscle truck thread in my spare time, maybe I'll finish it this weekend. It won't be a general truck thread, but really, who wants to discuss work trucks, and there's already a 4x4 thread.

Do it Do it Do it. I started drafting one but abandoned it b/c I figured someone with more knowledge could do a better OP.

Also don't forget this... thing: http://flashfirejettrucks.com/

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I think some of you may be taking an amusing bit of irony and blowing it out of proportions. That douchey GM spokesman's "the 80s called" bit was entertaining, and the quick turn around to offering even bigger incentives was just icing. But in fairness, the truck sales wars are fought with cash on the hood. Trucks launch with big incentive packages. The only person who pays MSRP for any truck is Hank Hill.

Beyond that, the GM trucks are very good trucks. They may not have the gimmicks of the Ram and F150, but they do provide class leading fuel economy and class competitive performance. Like I said before, they don't offer any blatantly obvious reasons for owners to upgrade or switch. But they are a solid evolutionary step forward.

And don't forget that those are just Silverado numbers. When they get added to Sierra numbers, I'm sure GM is still outselling the hell out of Chrysler and competing closely with Ford.

I don't mean to sound like a GM fanboy here. I just think it's silly to look at this truck as some sort of flop or failure on GM's part. Those sales numbers aren't evidence of GM slipping so much as they are evidence of Chrysler's progress. GM will still sell a gajillion of these things over the next 5-7 years, making a tidy profit off of each one.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
Without Bob Lutz I doubt Cadillac would be where they are now. Akersons biggest sin in my eyes is that he was a financial guy who had no business running one of the largest automotive firms in the world. Look at what he did with the 2013 Malibu, it launched with a fart. When the outgoing model is better than the incoming one something is awfully wrong.

quote:

Last year Akerson asked his executive team to accelerate by six months the planned launch of the redesigned Chevrolet Malibu. He got a cool response. The base engine wouldn’t be ready in time for the launch Akerson sought. Debuting with a different powertrain would be costly and potentially delay the launch of higher-volume models, Akerson was warned.

“He was told that it was a mistake,” one a former executive said. “But he couldn’t understand why it would take so long.”

His team dutifully fast-tracked the launch by fitting the car with a readily available 2.4-liter engine paired with a mild hybrid system to create the Malibu Eco. Since its January debut, though, sales have been tepid as GM sold down discounted versions of the outgoing 2012 model.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/08/automotive-news-sheds-light-on-akersons-role-in-the-2013-chevrolet-malibu-launch/

Are the truck sales numbers 1500s/2500s/3500s all lumped toghether? Or do any of them break it down? I thought that is what Ford does to goose their numbers. While GM separates Chevy trucks and GMCs from one another.

BabyMauler fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 4, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

While true, I feel this is no excuse for how insanely bad Akerson was. The only body more incompetent than Akerson is the GM Board of Directors itself, which is a clown show and has been for decades.

Whitaker and Lutz did a very good job and honestly should have just been left in place. Politically this was impossible with the bankruptcy, of course, but the choices by the GM Board afterwards were just the dumbest.

Whitaker was responsible for a lot of the cultural issues.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

BabyMauler posted:

Are the truck sales numbers 1500s/2500s/3500s all lumped toghether? Or do any of them break it down? I thought that is what Ford does to goose their numbers. While GM separates Chevy trucks and GMCs from one another.

Ford and Chrysler usually lump in their 450/4500 and 550/5500 (and for Ford, the 650 and 750 too) numbers in with the rest, so yes, Chrysler and Ford are always goosing their half-ton numbers and GM doesn't have equivalents to match.

Which is why Ford can always say the F150 is the best selling truck for the last billion years. But it's sales figures and everyone is counting poo poo by different measures so gently caress it.

Edit: which brings me to another question: why did GM keep the GMC brand around post-bankruptcy? Every vehicle is a twin of a Chevy model.

But with all the brands GM had pre-bankruptcy, why not close GMC too and just have a budget, entry luxury, and high luxury brands?

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 4, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GMC is popular and profitable.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I guess it made sense numbers-wise if it's currently more profitable than consolidating all the truck supplies into just one model line for economies of scale and maybe slapping a Chevy Professional badge on a Silverado or something.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
You're also assuming that everybody that buys a GMC would be willing to walk into a Chevy dealer and buy something with a bowtie on it. I'm not sure I'd be willing to place money on that.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I remember hearing some dude say he buys GMC instead of chevy because while he knew they were the same model, "the GMC uses a higher quality screw". So I can totally see them keeping it around if people have these weird beliefs.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Whitaker was responsible for a lot of the cultural issues.

What? Whitaker was at GM for two years total. Like Akerson, he was just some random-rear end hire from the telecom sector, with the difference being that he wasn't as hideously egotistical.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, it makes no sense even though aside from fancypants options packages, the last time a GMC full-size could be ordered in a way that was significantly different than the Chevy was when the GMC V6 (and V12) was still a thing.

Other than that, GMC has had... the SyTy and the Envoy XUV, but never got a version of the Avalanche.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Thwomp posted:

I guess it made sense numbers-wise if it's currently more profitable than consolidating all the truck supplies into just one model line for economies of scale and maybe slapping a Chevy Professional badge on a Silverado or something.

Aren't their products mostly the same except for plastic pieces? Excepting outliers like the Acadia/Terrain or whatever. It probably doesn't cost that much more to make another set of front fascias and whatever - probably not much more than another Chevy trim level with a unique grille and lights would.

Besides, it's insanely expensive to try and kill off a brand even after decades of awful product and poor sales has winnowed out the dealer network (see: Pontiac, Mercury, etc.). GMC is still profitable and popular, so why fix what's not broken at enormous cost?

Also on the consumer side I hear GMC dealerships are a little higher-end and nicer than Chevy dealers?
edit: gently caress beaten below \/\/\/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

I remember hearing some dude say he buys GMC instead of chevy because while he knew they were the same model, "the GMC uses a higher quality screw". So I can totally see them keeping it around if people have these weird beliefs.

When applied to GM buyers, this is textually accurate