Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Lovers is sneaky because the game kind of guilts you into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, Moon and Fortune are the sneaky ones. It's just people get fooled by Lovers sometimes because they don't know that this is an anime dating game.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Just maintain a healthy disdain for the Lovers character like I do and you'll be fine, really. It's not very hard.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Moon and Fortune aren't sneaky because they don't trick you into anything. They're complicated and difficult to do right. That's a separate thing.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Until Chie gets Dragon Hustle there's zero reason to use anyone over Kanji.

Why not use both.

Also, I didn't feel guilty about Lovers and I figured that she'd be alright anyway, so

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

alcharagia posted:

Just maintain a healthy disdain for the Lovers character like I do and you'll be fine, really. It's not very hard.

This is what I do but I'd understand if somebody blundered into the romance :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Oblivious posted:

Moon and Fortune aren't sneaky because they don't trick you into anything. They're complicated and difficult to do right. That's a separate thing.

Moon very much tricks you into thinking the first choice you have is the one, if you're smart you can avoid it. Fortune is just tricky rather than it tricks you, most people (Me included back when the game came out) were confused about how to initiate the lovers choice for that.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Moon very much tricks you into thinking the first choice you have is the one, if you're smart you can avoid it. Fortune is just tricky rather than it tricks you, most people (Me included back when the game came out) were confused about how to initiate the lovers choice for that.

It'd be pretty rad if Fortune's first flag wasn't necessary considering the context but whatever, it's anime.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Orgia Carnaval posted:

I maintain that the trigger in Moon at least makes sense in context. The Lovers trigger never makes sense. It is simply "anime that's why" :colbert:

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Until Chie gets Dragon Hustle there's zero reason to use anyone over Kanji.

wrong

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.

I maintain that the trigger in Moon at least makes sense in context. The Lovers trigger never makes sense. It is simply "anime that's why" :colbert:

The Lovers trigger is basically choosing between dating or being an unsympathetic douche. There's no middle ground there.

Luckily I had no qualms about choosing the douche option.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Galactic Punt is the best because it will never not be funny.

"Did she just punt a tank?"

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

arisu posted:

Galactic Punt is the best because it will never not be funny.

"Did she just punt a tank?"

"Kickthetankkickthetankkickthetank...OOOOOOOOOOOOH!"

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Sun Drama is the guilty romance SL in my opinion because you feel like a tool either way.

Actually, both Sun romance SLs are bad.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Sun Drama is the guilty romance SL in my opinion because you feel like a tool either way.

Actually, both Sun romance SLs are bad.

Turning down Yukiko or Moon at the 11th hour is also pretty guilt trippy.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Prozach posted:

"Kickthetankkickthetankkickthetank...OOOOOOOOOOOOH!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRqwsotgR6s

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Turning down Yukiko or Moon at the 11th hour is also pretty guilt trippy.

Its not actually, because yukiko and ai both suck

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Its not actually, because yukiko and ai both suck

I like Ai I think she's well written and becomes a pretty cool person :shobon:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
All you have to do when you see those characters is look at them as walking reserved of Persona xp. That and realize everything will be fine if you turn them down, they are not going to kill themselves because you aren 't going to date them.

Ai is cool though, I agree.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Yukiko suffers from Social Link alter ego syndrome. She's much cooler in story events than in her social link events where she mostly exists to be PERFECT JAPANESE WAIFU. Yeah she tends to be the straight woman but eh, that's fine.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

She can still do that outside of the active party, though. The only difference being that now she does it on a scooter.

A Bystander posted:

Why not use both.

Also, I didn't feel guilty about Lovers and I figured that she'd be alright anyway, so

Didn't say you couldn't, I said nobody outclasses Kanji. Though I'd use Naoto/Chie/Yukiko post Dragon Hustle and Kanji in Chie's place before.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Yukiko suffers from Social Link alter ego syndrome. She's much cooler in story events than in her social link events where she mostly exists to be PERFECT JAPANESE WAIFU. Yeah she tends to be the straight woman but eh, that's fine.

Oh yeah absolutely. I've never cared for Ai because even though she might have hidden depth she makes a terrible first impression all bein' a bitch to my sports bros.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Oh yeah absolutely. I've never cared for Ai because even though she might have hidden depth she makes a terrible first impression all bein' a bitch to my sports bros.

If you've never done the Moon social link I'd recommend giving it a whirl because I had the exact same stance before I grudgingly tried it for completionisms sake alone.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

UberJumper posted:

:allears: Kanji :allears:

Does this game have some sort of romance system? If i keep being nice to Chie and it more and more seems to be moving towards some sort of ~romance~. Is this going to lead to some sort of awkward situation where Yukiko is going to hate me?

Please tell me there isn't going to be an awkward mass effect style romance thing. :negative:

You should be nice to people, because generally the dickbag conversation options will slow down your Social Link advancement. They will always start :swoon:ing at you, no matter what. Hooking up with somebody just changes how her link plays out--you don't have to worry about missing out on amazing anime girlfriend battle powers or anything.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like Ai a lot, she's like one of my favorite S. links in P4 because a lot of her story revolves around people just being scumbags and assholes. Her attitude is just a front an she becomes your friend pretty quickly and shows she's a really good person, sort of like a lady Kanji, but with even more insecurities and prone to distancing herself from others.

She also has some of the cutest romance scenes and I'm a big sucker for mean girls showing their nice side to the people they care about.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
gently caress i can't take this anymore after i read about all the awesome more stuff Persona 4 Golden has, i just.. have to buy a PSVita for that game. I just have to do it, Persona 4 is so good.

:allears:

*EDIT* Also Chie is so awesome :allears:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Orgia Carnaval posted:

I like Ai a lot, she's like one of my favorite S. links in P4 because a lot of her story revolves around people just being scumbags and assholes. Her attitude is just a front an she becomes your friend pretty quickly and shows she's a really good person, sort of like a lady Kanji, but with even more insecurities and prone to distancing herself from others.

She also has some of the cutest romance scenes and I'm a big sucker for mean girls showing their nice side to the people they care about.

Her character arc is also super relevant to the themes of the game itself (self deception, what is the truth, society forcing a label on people).

UberJumper posted:

gently caress i can't take this anymore after i read about all the awesome more stuff Persona 4 Golden has, i just.. have to buy a PSVita for that game. I just have to do it, Persona 4 is so good.

She is indeed basically the raddest. Her voice actor is completely different in P4G, be ye fairly warned. I like her new voice actor better personally because while P4 Chie is cool and all, she sounds waaaaay older than Chie is supposed to be.

KoB
May 1, 2009

UberJumper posted:

One of us.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

UberJumper posted:

You're making good choices, all around. Chie really is the best. :)

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

UberJumper posted:

You are playing the game the right way. Well done.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really should finish my replay of Golden, I had lost my memory card with my 100 hour save file on it and I'm replaying the game just leveling up all the Persona I can. If I finish the story doing the new ending does that count for the secret boss on the second play through?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nope, gotta do Margaret's stuff all over. Just make sure you kill all the optional bosses as they appear and get her s-link finished immediately. You can just summon that poo poo in from the compendium and have the link done the second you have access to the Velvet Room.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh well, if anything I can at least see some of the new romance scenes added to the game on Ai and Fortune.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Oh well, if anything I can at least see some of the new romance scenes added to the game on Ai and Fortune.

That's what I still need to do for my next playthrough. Go for the romance with Ai so I can resolve longstanding guilt :smith:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yukiko is one of the best drat healers/mages I've ever seen in an RPG, so she was always cool in my book. :colbert:

Chie and Kanji are still best though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Yukiko becomes hilariously, retardedly strong when she gets her P4G unique fire spell.

Goddamn girl. Just god drat.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
Yeah, Yukiko gets crazy powerful toward the end of the game. To be honest, Chie felt a bit lacking in combat, but I always took her anyway because galactic punt never stops being hilarious, and... well, it's Chie.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Ai does have one of the best S. links in the game, nearly the very best actually. I was really surprised by just how good a lot of the non party member S. links were, since I figured not as much effort would be put into them. I'm probably a rare case but I liked all of the social links in the game (except for Sun), it was definitely an improvement over Persona 3 at the least. The writing in this game is just really good. :allears:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BeanBandit posted:

Yeah, Yukiko gets crazy powerful toward the end of the game. To be honest, Chie felt a bit lacking in combat, but I always took her anyway because galactic punt never stops being hilarious, and... well, it's Chie.

Crits are kind of a narrow niche compared to what the other kids get, but Chie is fantastic against any optional boss that isn't immune to Physical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

She is indeed basically the raddest. Her voice actor is completely different in P4G, be ye fairly warned. I like her new voice actor better personally because while P4 Chie is cool and all, she sounds waaaaay older than Chie is supposed to be.

I just listened to a clip from Chie's voice actor... :stonklol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtD6xGD9RII

:smithicide:

• Locked thread