Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Todd's description of his day was amazing. His complete misreading of the meaning of the donut was the best.

Waitress: You're here every single day? Would you like a donut? :smith:
Todd: Yeah she always make sure I get a donut :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Todd Barry looks, acts, and sounds like a murderer. And I don't mean like a creepy serial killer who leaves no evidence besides grisly details scrawled in a secret memoir. I mean like a mob enforcer.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I thought this might be the case but i dont understand, because they specifically mention not having any other kids - was this a fantasy or not?

They had been married for all of two years with the second year being very difficult. They had decided to leave each other and have one last go in bed before going their separate ways. That resulted in his technically-still-his-wife conceiving. She, for whatever reason, decided to keep the child and as a result they forced the marriage to continue even though they already both knew it was never going to work and then had a second child sometime after the first.

They are now divorced. And she became black.

But if Steve Martin can be born a poor black boy and grow up into a homeless white man, I don't see why his wife can't go from white to black. It's not like you stay that way.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What the hell is wrong with you people? Just think of it like a play where sometimes a part is played by one actor and sometimes it's played by another. EX-WIFE is sometimes a black lady, sometimes not. This show doesn't have continuity like you imagine.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Atlas Hugged posted:

They had been married for all of two years with the second year being very difficult. They had decided to leave each other and have one last go in bed before going their separate ways. That resulted in his technically-still-his-wife conceiving. She, for whatever reason, decided to keep the child and as a result they forced the marriage to continue even though they already both knew it was never going to work and then had a second child sometime after the first.

Thank you for this, it makes things a lot clearer and that makes sense.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
I don't understand what happened at the end there with amia.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

I don't understand what happened at the end there with amia.

I don't speak the language so if I'm wrong please correct me, but I think the point was that she regretted the night before as it was a bad idea to get more "serious" (as her aunt would put it) right before she had to leave.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

cheerfullydrab posted:

This show doesn't have continuity like you imagine.

I agree with your post but it's funny that you say this during a 6-episode arc.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

cheerfullydrab posted:

This show doesn't have continuity like you imagine.
I can't wait to see what happens in Elevator Part Six and what the next three episode plot arc will be.

But this isn't even being about things being different or not between episodes, both actresses are in the same episode. Louie even added in the cigarette gesture to let the audience know that even though she is white now, she's the same character. Louie's unafraid of being deliberate and bogging the show a bit down in details this season, and Louie is also a show about visual metaphors and symbolism to get across to the audience what's going on in Louie's head.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 27, 2014

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

This is allegedly what Amia said to Louie at the end of the episode:

quote:

while in bed: "this was a big mistake. we ruined a good thing we had. do you understand?"
as she is getting up: "we'll fix it somehow"
walking out the door: "everything will be alright"

And what she said to Jim Norton:

quote:

"You're very stupid. You're not funny at all."

This was posted on reddit and the poster said they found it on imdb forums, so could very well be fake.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Animal-Mother posted:

Todd Barry looks, acts, and sounds like a murderer. And I don't mean like a creepy serial killer who leaves no evidence besides grisly details scrawled in a secret memoir. I mean like a mob enforcer.

If you haven't seen it yet, you should find the episode of Delocated where Todd Barry has to work off his debt for the Russian mob, and keeps getting boners every time he does something criminal. It's amazing.

Highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPW_H3JBRIk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQjXPqpel34

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Either the young Louie actor has the best Louie CK voice ever or that was some truly impressive adr work. Kept flipping back and forth between the two options in my head.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Really? I thought the young Louie sucked. His voice was too deep

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005
I thought young Louie sounded like seth rogen. Especially the laugh.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

cheerfullydrab posted:

What the hell is wrong with you people? Just think of it like a play where sometimes a part is played by one actor and sometimes it's played by another. EX-WIFE is sometimes a black lady, sometimes not. This show doesn't have continuity like you imagine.

Next his wife will be played by a Chinese man, someone will say lol thats funny and then you will say

cheerfullydrab posted:

What the hell is wrong with you people? Just think of it like a play where sometimes a part is played by one actor and sometimes it's played by another. EX-WIFE is sometimes a chinese man, sometimes not. This show doesn't have continuity like you imagine.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

blue squares posted:

Really? I thought the young Louie sucked.

Me too... The scene was great but I was little off-put by the actor doing a Louie imitation. It felt a bit contrived even though he managed it.

JakeP posted:

Next his wife will be played by a Chinese man, someone will say lol thats funny and then you will say

If a Chinese man nails that part, then Louis CK would probably shoot it, yeah...

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Please change topic to "Louie Season 4 - a small bird died today due to sadness"

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

JakeP posted:

And does Mr. Louis CK really expect me to believe that garbage men climbed through his bedroom window and banged garbage can lids?? A bridge too far, I say.

E: also, never ever watch That Obscure Object of Desire because Luis Bunuel does the exact same thing with the role of the girlfriend. True story.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 27, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

Either the young Louie actor has the best Louie CK voice ever or that was some truly impressive adr work. Kept flipping back and forth between the two options in my head.

Parallels have been made between Louie and Woody Allen before but I was really struck by it when I heard Louie's "voice" and saw his mannerisms coming from a guy who reminded me of a young (and much physically fitter!) Woody Allen.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

That loving painting of LeBron

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Who was that guy at the table who wasn't Todd Barry? I thought he was Todd Barry.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
The Dad comedian in the hat? That's Greg Fitzsimmons.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jerusalem posted:

Parallels have been made between Louie and Woody Allen before but I was really struck by it when I heard Louie's "voice" and saw his mannerisms coming from a guy who reminded me of a young (and much physically fitter!) Woody Allen.

Yeah pretty much word for word what I was thinking. I really liked the flashback sequence and this season has been great so far.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Young Louie is the guy that does those vines.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Breadallelogram posted:

This is allegedly what Amia said to Louie at the end of the episode:

And what she said to Jim Norton:

This was posted on reddit and the poster said they found it on imdb forums, so could very well be fake.

I can confirm that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jim DiGriz posted:

I can confirm that.

Awesome, I hoped it would be, because

quote:

"You're very stupid. You're not funny at all."

is just a further example of a 'doesn't make any sense, but is still funny' joke in the television show "Louie".

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

EL BROMANCE posted:

Awesome, I hoped it would be, because

is just a further example of a 'doesn't make any sense, but is still funny' joke in the television show "Louie".

How does it not make sense? Dirty words are like the first you learn about a foreign language.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I thought it was funny in the flashback when he told Janet, "Maybe you can go to Africa!", I felt it was a :v: at the fact that she is played by a black actor. It was too on the nose.
Initial impressions of the "no good" in the ending made me think of "Louie is bad at sex", but I was hoping that wasn't the direction it was going.

Doctor loving Bigelow. I love this dude.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

verybad posted:

How does it not make sense? Dirty words are like the first you learn about a foreign language.

It's funny because Norton thought he was king poo poo when he could say poo poo she didn't understand, not realizing she could do the same to him. His face when he does realize it makes the joke.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Everyone in the whole bar clapping about Todd Barry's life was great.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Snapchat A Titty posted:

It's funny because Norton thought he was king poo poo when he could say poo poo she didn't understand, not realizing she could do the same to him. His face when he does realize it makes the joke.

I agree it's funny, but I don't think it's funny because they can't understand eachother, it's because they understand eachother perfectly. Norton goes and says something rude because he thinks it's funny that she won't understand it, but she does and tells him "that's not funny, gently caress off" basically. And he gets it! That's funny, and ties into the overall theme of communication that's sort of been going on with the last few episodes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What I said was a little harsh, but I enjoy the actor-swapping. Some of you must've hated how Louie went on a date with a lady and then an episode or two later the same actress played his mom. And how could that kid be Louie's agent???

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No I don't mind the actress being white there because she's playing the other, first wife obviously.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

No I don't mind the actress being white there because she's playing the other, first wife obviously.

No. That was Janet.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

cheerfullydrab posted:

And how could that kid be Louie's agent???

:ssh:That guy is in his 20s.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

No. 9 posted:

Young Louie is the guy that does those vines.

Haha holy gently caress, this guy is an auteur in his own right, the only Vine I have ever enjoyed, I pretty much just watched all of them.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm pretty sure the super young agent is a rip off of Liz Lemon's ultra young performing pet agent

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm pretty sure the super young agent is a rip off of Liz Lemon's ultra young performing pet agent

That character actually bummed me out. For a guy who was caught up in a joke-stealing brouhaha (and even made a fantastic episode out of it), he flat out ripped off the agent-that-looks-like-a-kid joke there.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Oh man that went right over my head, but it's so much better when I think of it that way. I just laughed at his hilarious expression.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the agent is based off of Louis' real agent, who is something like 23-24 years old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, the joke of,"Guy in a position of responsibility/power is surprisingly young" is hardly a new one, and certainly wasn't invented by 30 Rock.

• Locked thread